Code of Conduct

Thread: autumn foresty

Default autumn foresty

for a while now i've been looking for something that smells like dead leaves and rain and moss and wood...and maybe something spicy...can i get anything like this?

Default Re: autumn foresty

Scents that immediately come to mind...

Le Baiser du Dragon
    Feminite du Bois
    Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Un Cedre
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Ralph Lauren Silver has the moss and woods you want. Hugo is a nice pine scent. Neither of these get the dead leaves and rain feel too much, but they are the ones that came to mind.

Basenotes Institution

I love 'autumn forest' type scents. Those I would recommend are:

Comme des Garcons 2 Man by Comme des Garcons (a burning pile of leaves in a forest)
    Vetiver 46 by Le Labo (see above)
    Idole by Lubin (see above, add booze)
    Route du Vetiver by MPG
    Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by williams View Post
    for a while now i've been looking for something that smells like dead leaves and rain and moss and wood...and maybe something spicy...can i get anything like this?
    This doesn't have all the qualifications you ask for..but for autumn in a bottle look no further than Samhain by the Goth Rosary. Here's the description from the website:

Spicy and Sweet
    The Smell of Halloween Candy,
    Changing Leaves & Autumn Spices

Unfortunately they don't make an EDT...but they make a "mist" that is perfect for layering. I layer mine w/ Bvlgari Black which is a smokey, rubbery, & vanilla frag.

Here's a list of all the Goth Rosary frags & the forms they come in: http://www.gothrosary.com/category.cfm?id=31

Hope that helps!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

You might want to test:

Comme des Garcons Series 1: Leaves
    CdG 2 Man
    CdG Zagorsk
    Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume

Best regards,
    Mike

Not exactly what you seem to be looking for but my favorite fragrance for the autumn months (I've come across nothing better for the month of October) than Frapin - 1270. Although our Octobers here in NJ maybe different from yours wherever you live.

The description may put some off because of the "Gourmand" sound to it. However, I am rarely a fan of gourmands and by no means consider it one. To me, it smells magnificent and my favorite note is one that reminds me of expensive red wine/dessert wine. My girlfriend told me that I smelt like "Trees in the fall when the leaves begin to fall off." It smells great on me as a man but it is also a unisex and many females have also enjoyed it.

Description from Aedes.com:
    "The sweetness of dried plums and apricots sprinkled with candied orange is delicately accented by bitter chocolate and coffee. The rare Folle Blanche grape varietal blooms in the heart, ornamented with spices and black pepper. The velvety finish of white honey and vanilla is prolonged by soft leather and precious woods resulting in a blend as rich and harmonious as a well-aged cognac"
    Last edited by matreal; 23rd August 2007 at 03:20 PM.

Matreal,

Wild Hunt from CB I Hate Perfume is one you might like. Here are my notes from a previous thread:

Wild Hunt is worth a test if you're looking for a deep earth and forest scent. The top notes smell like peat moss and fresh dirt, then it smells just like twigs freshly snapped from trees, a hint of decaying leaves on the forest floor, and a touch of green pine needles. Incredibly realistic but sadly, longevity is an issue with this one. The scent faded almost to nil after about 5-6 hours. If only the fresh dirt notes in the top could stick around awhile. A very intriguing fragrance nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Matreal,

Wild Hunt from CB I Hate Perfume is one you might like. Here are my notes from a previous thread:

Wild Hunt is worth a test if you're looking for a deep earth and forest scent. The top notes smell like peat moss and fresh dirt, then it smells just like twigs freshly snapped from trees, a hint of decaying leaves on the forest floor, and a touch of green pine needles. Incredibly realistic but sadly, longevity is an issue with this one. The scent faded almost to nil after about 5-6 hours. If only the fresh dirt notes in the top could stick around awhile. A very intriguing fragrance nonetheless.

I will definatly look into this. Thank you very much for the recommendation! I have yet to sample the CB line but this will be on my list for my next order of samples.

Off-Scenter

Another vote for Burning Leaves, plus Ayala Moriel's Rebellius, with its hints of leather, campfire, and conifer forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Another vote for Burning Leaves, plus Ayala Moriel's Rebellius, with its hints of leather, campfire, and conifer forest.
    I'm very interested in Ayala Moriels line but I've yet to hear from anyone that they were impressed with any of the frags. Did any of them stand out to you in particular?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by williams View Post
    Scents that fit with this description are those within the following categories:

Chypres - there are many types of these ranging from classic (mossy), traditional (Woody), fruity, floral, leather and floral animalic. Oakmoss + (Labdanum) + Patchouli + Bergamot is the classic core accord of these types of scents but there are variations upon the theme.

A few to try:

Annick Goutal Eau de Monsieur
    Caron Yatagan
    Chanel Antaeus
    Gres Cabochard
    Ava Luxe Film Noir
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Paloma Picasso Mon Parfum
    Ava Luxe Moss
    Clinique Aromatics Elixir
    Ava Luxe Chypre Noir / Dark Chypre

(Aromatic) Fougeres - 'fougere' is a french term roughly translated as 'fernlike' and have a similar autumn foresty feel to chypres, but are quite unique in scent and structure. Lavender + Woods + Coumarin + Geranium + Oakmoss are the classic notes that feature in this accord.

A few to try:

Aramis by Aramis
    Paco Rabanne Paco Rabanne For Men
    Guy Larouche Drakkar Noir
    YSL Kouros
    Sean John Unforgivable
    Crown Perfumery Crown Fougere
    Penhaligons English Fern
    Penhaligons Victorian Posy
    Sarah Jessica Parker Covet
    Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Classique
    Burberry Burberry Men
    Cerruti Pour Homme
    Dana Canoe
    Faberge Brut Original

(Aromatic) Rustic - rustic are very similar to and have a similar autumn foresty feel to fougeres, but the focus is on an outdoorsy, freshness with the emphasis on grass and / or hay-like notes. Lavander + Woods + Coumarin + Fir / Pine + Bergamot are the classic notes that feature in this accord.

A few to try:

Calvin Klein Escape for Men
    Annick Goutal Eau de Lavande
    Cerruti Image Homme
    Christian Dior Jules
    Fresh Tobacco Flower
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Woody (Chypres) - more wood / moss focused than the true chypres.
    Woods + (Leather) + Patchouli + Bergamot is the classic core accord of these types of scents but there are variations upon the theme.

A few to try:

Dior Bois D'Argent
    Etro Magot
    Etro Gomma
    Guerlain Coriolan
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
    Montana Montana Homme
    Paco Rabanne XS pour lui
    Penhaligons Quercus
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Rochas Lui
    Serge Lutens Chene
    Tom Ford Moss Breches
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

Good Luck & Happy Sniffing!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    I'm very interested in Ayala Moriels line but I've yet to hear from anyone that they were impressed with any of the frags. Did any of them stand out to you in particular?
    Those that have appealed the most to me are Rebellius, Espionage, Bon Zai, Sabotage, and Epice Sauvage. Come to think of it, Bon Zai, with its conifer notes, is another scent that conjures up the autumn forest. In fact, several of the Ayala Moriel scents I've tried evoke the forests of the Pacific Northwest, where Ayala (and I, incidentally,) dwell.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 25th August 2007 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    Quite a few of them were reviewed here by Basenotes members:
    http://www.basenotes.net/house/102178
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Try Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain. It smells like minty autumn leaves to me. Also, Mitsouko has a very mossy undertone.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay