Code of Conduct

Default copyriting and why I've returned so quickly

I left the boards not too long ago, but then some correspondence on the board through the Private Messages picked up and I don't want to lose my account. So, you may see me posting occassionally. Anyways, my main question is this: I have an fragrance note list and a name for a fragrance that I am going to try to develop. What can I copyright, and how? In terms of what I can and can't copyright, can I copyright the name and imagery of the cologne? Can I copyright the note formula? And what is the easiest way to copyright the things that I can copyright regarding my cologne?
    Last edited by yepyep; 3rd September 2007 at 07:29 PM.

Default Re: copyriting and why I've returned so quickly

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep View Post
    I left the boards not too long ago, but then some correspondence on the board through the Private Messages picked up and I don't want to lose my account. So, you may see me posting occassionally. Anyways, my main question is this: I have an fragrance note list and a name for a fragrance that I am going to try to develop. What can I copyright, and how? In terms of what I can and can't copyright, can I copyright the name and imagery of the cologne? Can I copyright the note formula? And what is the easiest way to copyright the things that I can copyright regarding my cologne?
    you can only copyright the frags name and the appearance of the bottle to some degree... but to try and reassure you... i dont think anyones going to copy a scent made by a totally unknown producer... if you are looking into starting a serious business I think you need to learn a bit more about how businesses operate before rushing into any kind of perfume venture...
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 31st August 2007 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks!

best of luck! id like to sample it if you ever get it into production

Thanks! If anything comes of it, I'll send you a note!

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    you can only copyright the frags name and the appearance of the bottle to some degree... but to try and reassure you... i dont think anyones going to copy a scent made by a totally unknown producer... if you are looking into starting a serious business I think you need to learn a bit more about how businesses operate before rushing into any kind of perfume venture...
    We've been business owners for over 20 years and I had to look up copyright laws. Before I met my husband and we started this business, I owned a small fashion design business (sold in boutiques) and large manufacturers did copy our designs and manufacture them overseas, selling the clothes back in the US for a lot cheaper than we could. You might be surprised to know that the "little guys" or smaller artists are often the ones who get copied, because they are the innovators. This goes on in the beauty business, as well, especially with skin care.
    Last edited by beachroses; 27th September 2007 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks for the response. What's that one easy way of copyriting something (in this case the name of the cologne and the shape of the bottle), isn't it something like sending yourself the information in an envelope or something like that?

you'd need to apply for a trademark... well... you should really go talk to the gvt. office responsible for this in your area because the procedures differ from area to area, but in your case you definatley would need to apply for a trademark to protect your name, you cant just do the letter thing, thats more like copyrighting a book...

Here's the US website for further information. They have a search feature on there, too.

http://www.uspto.gov/#

Thanks for the helpful responses!

Why not ask Alyala for some advice as she's a very sucessful perfumer.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

That's a good idea, thanks!