Code of Conduct

Wink Yay and Nay: Narciso Rodriguez for Him and Creed VIW

Well, I went to Indianapolis today for an appointment, and I also stopped at the Fashion Mall. After dinner, I stopped by Saks while my dad was looking for iPod accessories at the Apple Store, and I sniffed several fragrances, including two previously unsniffed ones. One of them was a "yay!" and another was a "nay".

The "Yay!" goes to Narciso Rodriguez for Him. At first, I was skeptical... it started out green. Make that VERY green, with a prominent violet note a la GIT, but still likeable. Then, the greens softened down in favor of a musk note. Finally, when the greens went away, the musk note stayed, and a soft, sweet amber emerged a la Thierry Mugler's (sadly now-discontinued) B*Men, albeit much softer and not in-your-face like the Mugler. Take 2 parts GIT, one part B*Men, some Iso-E Super, and a big dash of actual originality that has been lacking in many a designer release, and you've got Narciso Rodriguez for Him. This has to be the best new designer release by far this year, much like Terre d'Hermes took the cake in 2006... B.P.I. regained my confidence with this one, to the point that I can now forgive them for the mediocre L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense. I also got a sample vial from Stuigi in the mail today, so I'll be giving this a full-body wearing tomorrow.

The "Nay" goes to Creed's Virgin Island Water. I spritzed this on, and I got L'Artisan's Ananas Fizz mixed with Sprite. Then, the coconut came through a few seconds later... all of a sudden, it smelled like Banana Boat sunscreen. Yes, stuff you can get at Walgreens for $6 a bottle, as opposed to the $225 for 4 ounces that Creed is charging. And, with the Banana Boat, you'll still have room in your wallet to buy a bottle of Malibu Coconut Rum at the liquor store (and some Alka-Seltzer for the hangover). Thanks, but no thanks, Olivier and Erwin.

In the end, it was two very different fragrances, and two very different reactions. Guess what will be coming next in my wardrobe...
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Yay and Nay: Narciso Rodriguez for Him and Creed VIW

Yay!

Yes I base my buying decisions on one spritz only too
    -

I kinda found Narciso Rodriguez very unoriginal. If I remember correctly it was similar to Paco Rabbane.

Great reviews... thoroughly enjoyed reading them!

That being said... very few fragrances truly upset me.. and Narciso was one of them. I find the violet note suffocating and literally nauseating... the muskiness that's mixed into the concoction just gave me a really nasty, oozey overall feeling... upon sniffing it on my hand, I felt a migraine coming on...

It's interesting to see that there are people that absolutely love it. I want to read even more reviews on this one... since for the life of me, I can't figure out this one's appeal..and believe me..I'm open-minded! Congrats to those who can pull this one off... I was very let down by this one... hence the instant swap!

a.

We'll see if the Nabisco Kid has legs. Although, it already seems to be a strong contender to replace M7 as a Basenotes favorite "dark horse".
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd August 2007 at 03:46 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    The "Nay" goes to Creed's Virgin Island Water. I spritzed this on, and I got L'Artisan's Ananas Fizz mixed with Sprite. Then, the coconut came through a few seconds later... all of a sudden, it smelled like Banana Boat sunscreen. Yes, stuff you can get at Walgreens for $6 a bottle, as opposed to the $225 for 4 ounces that Creed is charging. And, with the Banana Boat, you'll still have room in your wallet to buy a bottle of Malibu Coconut Rum at the liquor store (and some Alka-Seltzer for the hangover). Thanks, but no thanks, Olivier and Erwin.
    I did not like Virgin Island Water the first time I tested it at Neimans - it was actually my boyfriend who kept smelling his hand all night and talking about it.

He bought a decant of it. I had no desire to try it (this was in my Creed hatin' days), but I had been hearing a lot about it here on BN so I gave it a full wearing one day. I changed my mind and totally 'got' it.

Banana Boat sunscreen does share some notes with VIW, but the coconut and lime notes in VIW are subtle, highly complex and are blended skillfully.

Still, if you don't like those notes, then VIW is not for you.

Blog Entries

I really like the scent of VIW, but it gives me a craving for booze, lol. Plus...it makes me want an island vacation, or a trip to the beach, at least...and being on a budget & living in Kansas, I can't have either. I have a couple samples of this & I do wear it occasionally. I got a very nice & good sized decant of it for my mom for an early Christmas present (she lives in Arizona & I'm going to see her next week & I think she'd enjoy wearing it during the current months, rather than if I waited until Christmas to give it to her). My mom fell in love with it when she was up here last in May when my fam was sniffing around Hall's. I gotta say I've been tempted to keep this for my own & get my mom something else, but ultimately I know my mom will enjoy it more than I would.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I'll have to try the NRH when I go to Atlanta again. I guess Saks should have it.

I have my bottle of Creed VIW on ebay at this moment. It just did not "get it" for me. It's nice, but it's kind of a "specialty" scent. I need more versatility from my scents. For what it costs, I need more "usage".

I can see where VIW doesn't fit some people in their environment and surroundings, but I'm with Mike & CJ, VIW is really outstanding. With its amazing, ongoing Lime note and its "chameleon-like" ability to have notes pop up again later on and make it ever changing - even from wearing to wearing - well it's a perfect fit pour moi.

I wear it at least once a week now, it's been ruling my hot South Florida summer in a huge way. It's as close to a signature scent as I've got right now.

There is lot of things going on with Creeds VIW. It´s not that simple like you discribed it. I love the jasmine and ginger kick mmmmhhhhh...the drydown is wonderful...lemon and coconut comes always through (every ten minutes it changes)...masterpiece for summer

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    There is lot of things going on with Creeds VIW. Itīs not that simple like you discribed it.
    Hate to hijack this thread and turn it into another VIW love-fest, but do any of you guys get a slight 'buttered popcorn' note from VIW? A few people do, when they smell it on me (similar to those Bath & Body Works 'candy' body products that smell like hot chocolate, pumpkin pie, peppermint, etc...) - but I don't get buttered popcorn from VIW.