Code of Conduct

Default Usher-ing today! If's, and's and....

I did one of my mass-sniffing expeditions today. I would describe much of it as Nice Butts. Not the great posterior of the lovely Russian SA I was talking to, but you know, "well, nice, but...."

Some quick amateur thoughts on what was at Macy's and Lord and Taylor:

Usher: had it's own little display. Pleasant, not controversial - the fresh, quality smell that someone might spray on after a shower or working out. Definitely not what I like, and didn't really justify its own display. Someone else would like it.

Hypnose: I had liked a test before, sprayed more this time. Tends to be just the somewhat slutty, aromatic strong stuff that I like. And OK, I was attracted to the wacky askew bottle. Got a drydown this time... interesting... you have to like that one big spicy, somewhat sharp note that lingers. I think I do!

Gucci Homme II: was very interested in this. It started very well, with nice spice and wood. But my skin seemed to drink it in, and it was nearly gone very fast.

B*men: somehow I'd managed to miss this, even though I like A*men. Definitely liked it - could see the relation to A*men, and enjoyed its warmth and character.

Prada: nice color juice, but had a plastic quality that I didn't like.

Antaeus(!): Finally got to try this. Absolutely my kind of strong, heavy, exotic juice!

YSL L'Homme: yeah, nice but my reaction was just as blah as others here. Was seeking but did not find Dior Homme!

Zegna Intenso: another special display. I did like it, but again, I wouldn't buy it. It's like everything else coming out now - fresh, not too strong or distinct, clearly marketed to the young middle-of-the-road. The kind of thing I'd wear, but only if someone gave it to me for free. Maybe a good simple clubbing scent or something.

Light Blue Pour Homme: The SA was rapidly bringing stuff out for me to try, and I told her "I've already tried that", but she proceeded undaunted (actually, for several scents). I figure there was either a slight language barrier, or she just stays totally on message! The scent was a real letdown, with its generic character.

Coco: Yes, that Coco. Ended my expedition by spraying on a nice quantity of this! Great way to end the trip!

Cheers, Dave

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Usher-ing today! If's, and's and....

Great - glad you found love with Antaeus (a frag I respected admirably, like M7, but can't seem to pull off) and Hypnose (I seem to have ignored it every time I see it - next time, I won't).

Coco, huh? Good for you - I can't get past the aldehydes.

I also kind of expected Usher Him to smell just 'ok' (I wasn't impressed with Coney Island by Bond No. 9 which Richard Helprin also did, only his Badgley Mishka caught my nose, which is girly floral to the max, but a really well done girly floral to the max). I'm sure Macy's will sell boxes and boxes of Usher!

Glad to see you enjoyed Antaeus. I was privileged enough to buy this one on the down cheap. I can't get over how fantastic it is, and it is just blissful when worn on a cool spring day, or (I'm guessing it would be nice) on a blustery autumn day.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Smile Re: Usher-ing today! If's, and's and....

Hi Dave, sounds like a fun day. I'm sure nothing was close to the perfection of Carven Homme. I've heard that B*men has been discontinued - get it while you can.
    Cheers!

YEah, baby, I say on that Anteaus thing. Like we've been saying here, Dave, damn! That stuff is for the ages pher shure!

Glad you found it. Now I'm off to try Coco. I've been hooked by Chanel No.19 for a while, and now I'll have to give Coco the full try because of this thread. All the work Dave makes for me!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I've heard that B*men has been discontinued - get it while you can.
    Yes, yes it is.
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 24th August 2007 at 04:46 AM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Blog Entries

Dy-am, Cognoscento! Just looked at your wardrobe and reading your post you sure smell like my kind of guy!! Are you preppy by any chance...?!

For you Chanel Coco lovers who hate the aldehydes - try Fendi Donna (Original). That is so much more of what you need / want. Think Coco with little to no aldehydes with bad attitude and a sexy leather chypre base...

Imagine how Coco would smell after getting her groove on with Paloma Picasso Mon Parfum EDP, or Piguet Bandit EDP and you will have the right idea...

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    For you Chanel Coco lovers who hate the aldehydes - try Fendi Donna
    I have heard very good things about Donna before, but honestly I have NEVER seen it on the shelves at department stores to test. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th August 2007 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Dy-am, Cognoscento! Just looked at your wardrobe and reading your post you sure smell like my kind of guy!! Are you preppy by any chance...?!

For you Chanel Coco lovers who hate the aldehydes - try Fendi Donna (Original). That is so much more of what you need / want. Think Coco with little to no aldehydes with bad attitude and a sexy leather chypre base...

Imagine how Coco would smell after getting her groove on with Paloma Picasso Mon Parfum EDP, or Piguet Bandit EDP and you will have the right idea...

Dear Moon,
    Preppy, eh? Ha ha! Well, I don't usually admit it, but yes, I suppose I am. In appearance. My mind is far more bizarre (like that wasn't obvious).

And of course, I'm your type of guy... with all your great scent combos I never thought of - you had me at hello. Let's go to a party together, and blow them away with clouds!!

If Coco means aldehydes, then gimme aldehydes! To me, it's just the kind of sensuous oriental with a nice drydown that I like. True, I may not do a whole lot of sprays at once - I do have vestigial testosterone, after all. I did have Bandit, but I traded it. I did like it, but my opinion seemed to change every other day. I posted elsewhere here that I used it to fashion a skunk repellent that worked a treat.

After doing all that shopping, I was emanating a bewildering miasma of clashing notes, and that's great fun now and then. Now if I can just get a bottle of Antaeus at a price I'm willing to pay!