Code of Conduct

Question Quick Question - Aromatics Elixir -

On me (right now) it smells like woods w/some sweet rose and a little citrus. Is that how it's supposed to smell?

I'm asking because I've read so many reviews about how it's such a horrible, nightmare of a fragrance - strong, bitter, harsh, masculine, etc. It's almost soft on me. *Almost*.

How is it for you? Is the rose/wood/light citrus how it's supposed to smell?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Quick Question - Aromatics Elixir -

If it smells great on you, then you are a lucky woman. I have also smelled this 'work' on the right person and it really smells divine. So sexy, sultry and fresh - all simultaneously. With wonderful sillage and longevity. It also seems to really 'work' in the Miami warm weather, too.

On my skin (and others, as you've observed) Aromatics Elixir it is more akin to a nuclear warhead explosion - mixed with...oh, nail polish. Downright horrible, in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    If it smells great on you, then you are a lucky woman. I have also smelled this 'work' on the right person and it really smells divine. So sexy, sultry and fresh - all simultaneously. With wonderful sillage and longevity. It also seems to really 'work' in the Miami warm weather, too.

On my skin (and others, as you've observed) Aromatics Elixir it is more akin to a nuclear warhead explosion - mixed with...oh, nail polish. Downright horrible, in other words.
    @ the bolded parts...

Thank you for the response. I *feel* lucky, but was very confused. I couldn't/can't associate the scent that's coming off of me right now as anything near the catastrophe that was described by so many. Not to mention a "nuclear warhead explosion"!

This scent?!?!? The one *I'm* wearing?!?! Really??? Just can't imagine it.

I've only had it on since lunch, but now it's drying down to such a lovely, woody, powdery scent - almost reminding me of a cross between Mistouko and Chanel no. 5 at the end of the day.

You're lucky indeed. It also reminds me a little of Mitsouko - the warm, ambery parts of it, anyway. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on me. It's alright...it's not a nuclear warhead explosion, but it's soapy in a way I don't much care for. Which makes me sad as I've smelled it on other people and it can be wonderful.

Thank you for responding Indiscreet.
    I'm sorry it doesn't work for you. It is lovely.
    I don't get soapy at all - confused again. .
    But then again, everything on me usually turns sweet - then disappears.
    So far it's still hanging in there(about 6 hours later) which is amazing for me.
    It smells sweet, woody, powdery, and soft.

I happen to love Aromatics Elexir as well.On me it smell very woodsy and rosey,but earthy as well.I have been looking for a "wet soil and forest in the rain"scent for quite some time now ,and believe I've found a rosey version of that in AE.It has mosnter silage on me,so I have to be careful about when to wear it,but I find it lovely with one spritz at the time.Strange how much chemistry has to say with scent....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    Strange how much chemistry has to say with scent....
    Case in point: Many women can't stand the way Black Orchid by Tom Ford smells on them...on me it's really beautiful. Different skin and different noses = different reactions.

ineespenes - I'm glad you enjoy it too.
    When I first sprayed it on it was almost nothing but rose. Lovely, but I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting something strong, perfumey, harsh. lol Not "roses."

The sillage can be intense.
    On me it was crazy when I first sprayed it. I only sprayed once on one arm, outdoors. And I could smell myself walking down the street even with long sleeves on and my arms at my sides. But it mellowed down rather quickly(on me) and now I get a subtle warm waft of woods and powder every once in a while or put my arm up to my nose when I get impatient.

And it IS strange how much chemistry has to do with scent. It's a mystery. I wonder if there have been studies done on it?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Case in point: Many women can't stand the way Black Orchid by Tom Ford smells on them...on me it's really beautiful. Different skin and different noses = different reactions.
    I still want to smell this. I haven't seen it around yet.
    Last edited by virgo75; 23rd August 2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I tried Black Orchid and just got a heap-load of patchouli from it. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

Strangely I always get violets from AE.
    DONNA

Thank you for the responses.

Today I got my first perfume compliment on it.
    My mom said, "Whatever you have on today, you smell really good."

I see her once a week or every other week and have had on perfume every single time for YEARS! I think that's the *first* time she ever said anything about my fragrance....

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    On me (right now) it smells like woods w/some sweet rose and a little citrus. Is that how it's supposed to smell?

I'm asking because I've read so many reviews about how it's such a horrible, nightmare of a fragrance - strong, bitter, harsh, masculine, etc. It's almost soft on me. *Almost*.

How is it for you? Is the rose/wood/light citrus how it's supposed to smell?

I absolutely love it, but I can certainly see why some people might not. It's definitely an 'all or nothing' fragrance, and lasts for hours. I get very strong patchouli from it (something I have to be careful with), and wood/citrus notes too. But it dries down much softer, and then just lingers in a very sensual way. I think it's a totally unique fragrance and one that has so many subtle nuances to it, I doubt I could ever tire of it.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I absolutely love it, but I can certainly see why some people might not. It's definitely an 'all or nothing' fragrance, and lasts for hours. I get very strong patchouli from it (something I have to be careful with), and wood/citrus notes too. But it dries down much softer, and then just lingers in a very sensual way. I think it's a totally unique fragrance and one that has so many subtle nuances to it, I doubt I could ever tire of it.
    It is lovely, isn't it?

I tend to think of patchouli as being kind of, I don't know, rough or spicy or something masculine. I get nothing like that on me. Like you, on me it wears down very soft with its "subtle nuances to it." Last night it ended up a beautiful woody, powdery amber that was so soft and sweet, it could have been my own skin. I can only wish my skin smelled that good naturally.

I believe it was you who recommended it to me in my "spicy exotic" thread.

Thank you Clemmie.

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    It is lovely, isn't it?

I tend to think of patchouli as being kind of, I don't know, rough or spicy or something masculine. I get nothing like that on me. Like you, on me it wears down very soft with its "subtle nuances to it." Last night it ended up a beautiful woody, powdery amber that was so soft and sweet, it could have been my own skin. I can only wish my skin smelled that good naturally.

I believe it was you who recommended it to me in my "spicy exotic" thread.

Thank you Clemmie.

Yes, it was (hurrah! it's so nice to be able to help..especially as I'm not an expert or anything). Patchouli is something I always think smells fabulous on others, but not on me. AE is one of very few fragrances with a strong patchouli base that works on me. There are others, but this one is so exotic and unique, that I enjoy wearing it just for the reaction it gets. I smelled it first on a lady in a shop and had to ask her what she was wearing. When she told me, I just ordered some online the same day, and I have worn it such a lot since. I stopped wearing it for a week or so, because my nose got used to it, and I couldn't smell it any more, so I got concerned that I may be inadvertently killing my work colleagues with sillage (and they were too polite to say!)...so I'm giving it a rest. But I could seriously wear it every day.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    Yes, it was (hurrah! it's so nice to be able to help..especially as I'm not an expert or anything). Patchouli is something I always think smells fabulous on others, but not on me. AE is one of very few fragrances with a strong patchouli base that works on me. There are others, but this one is so exotic and unique, that I enjoy wearing it just for the reaction it gets. I smelled it first on a lady in a shop and had to ask her what she was wearing. When she told me, I just ordered some online the same day, and I have worn it such a lot since. I stopped wearing it for a week or so, because my nose got used to it, and I couldn't smell it any more, so I got concerned that I may be inadvertently killing my work colleagues with sillage (and they were too polite to say!)...so I'm giving it a rest. But I could seriously wear it every day.
    Awww Clemmie, I love to hear perfume "love stories!" I've probably smelled AE on others, but never think to ask what people are wearing. I'm worried about "killing" people with sillage too, but at this point I don't care. I'm in love. So far, no one has said anything negative. Only positives.

Funny thing - yesterday - not spicy at all, today - I can actually smell a little bit of spicyness. Sigh. So happy.