Code of Conduct
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default How Many Different Fragrances Per Day Do You Wear?

How many times a day do you normally switch fragrances, if you do at all?

Do you start wearing multiple smallish applications of different fragrances at the same time and switch to a single one of those? Or another completely different frag addition? Or another group of completely different fragrances?

I have worn several at one time and ended up 'refreshing' one in particular that seemed to catch my attention more than the others. recently I started the day with Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme and an hour or so later added Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT Concentree. Then, in late afternoon, dotting some Havana For Men on my chest area from a 5ml rollon and then re-adding some Arpege Pour Homme later in the evening.

Seems nice to be able to change the melange of scent and turn it in another direction or intensify the original direction while still keeping the basic background of what I started out with. I have found my attention is re-focused and refreshed on the fragrance(s) when I do this.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Default Re: How Many Different Fragrances Per Day Do You Wear?

Wowsers! Those are some great scents! You must have the most amazing sillage right now...

Personally, on the days when I am not taking a scent sabbatical (no scent all day), I tend to wear a minimum of 2 main (full body applications) perfumes - one for day / one to bed. I regularly wear 3 or four (full body applications) depending on strength, sillage and longevity of a scent. This number can double if I choose to layer a scent or two together. For example, yesterday I wore Arran Aromatics After the Rain together with Etro Vicolo Fiori which lasted through until I washed it off today!!

Unless I have applied a strong scent quite late in the evening (that I am still enjoying), I always apply scent before going to bed - in fact I actually have a small collection of scents that are specifically used at bed time.

When I say "I am just going to slip into something more comfortable..." I usually mean my night time perfume.

I don't often sit covered in different samples unless I am testing newly received samples / buys or I am refreshing my acquaintance with an old scent for reveiw or personal interest. I have nearly 700 perfumes - not including samples - so this is something I like to do quite regularly.

I must admit that I don't feel like I have properly worn a perfume if I have only applied it to wrist for sample purpose. It's like thinking you've read a book because you've read a synopsis...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

You both are making me jealous with how lovely you smell and how ample your collections are! I wanna be you guys when I grow up...

But I wear at least 1 fragrance per day. If I really enjoyed it during the day, then I'll reapply it at night. If it wasn't so hot or I had a change of perfume mood, then I'll change it or apply right over top of it at any point of the day or evening, not to mention my usual bedtime application. So, on average 1-3/4 per day.

Oh yeah, and sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night CRAVING a certain scent the same way some people crave food. The last time that happened was a couple of days ago when I was craving smelling like a cupcake - I put on that Britney Spears concoction Fantasy. It hit the spot, but I woke up with a "hangover" and rushed into the shower because sometime overnight my "cupcake" turned into icky, sticky cough syrup.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    You both are making me jealous with how lovely you smell and how ample your collections are! I wanna be you guys when I grow up...

But I wear at least 1 fragrance per day. If I really enjoyed it during the day, then I'll reapply it at night. If it wasn't so hot or I had a change of perfume mood, then I'll change it or apply right over top of it at any point of the day or evening, not to mention my usual bedtime application. So, on average 1-3/4 per day.

Oh yeah, and sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night CRAVING a certain scent the same way some people crave food. The last time that happened was a couple of days ago when I was craving smelling like a cupcake - I put on that Britney Spears concoction Fantasy. It hit the spot, but I woke up with a "hangover" and rushed into the shower because sometime overnight my "cupcake" turned into icky, sticky cough syrup.
    LOL! believe me you really don't want to have my collection when you grow up...

So sorry about your run in with the Britney Spears phenomenon... *shudders* Next time may I suggest you reach for Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon or iPdF Vagnilia de Madagascar to satisfy your vanilla cravings! Much less likelihood of cough syrup fall out / hangover...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Since I stay at home with my daughter, I have wardrode access all day...I wear about 3 different day scents and then an evening scent.
    Most of the time I wait for a scent to fade, but sometimes I just scrub and apply another scent. I have had the unfornuate experience of layering with HORRID results

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    LOL! believe me you really don't want to have my collection when you grow up...

So sorry about your run in with the Britney Spears phenomenon... *shudders* Next time may I suggest you reach for Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon or iPdF Vagnilia de Madagascar to satisfy your vanilla cravings! Much less likelihood of cough syrup fall out / hangover...
    Thank you for the recs moondeva.

You're probably right about the collection.
    I've always loved perfume but only recently allowed my obsession to overtake me.

I'm afraid with a collection of over 700 scents ( ) I'd end up in a looney bin, rocking back and forth muttering to myself, "can't decide.... too many..... so beautiful...."

1-2 depending on what it is.

I generally choose just one fragrance (my SOTD) and top it up if it fades away later in the day (I carry a decant of whatever I'm wearing in my handbag). I don't have the confidence to layer different fragrances yet. Building up to that...

Thankfully, I now have a fragrance wardrobe that contains certain items with true longevity, which removes the necessity for the decants (but I still carry them anyway 'just in case' - even Shocking and Aromatics Elixir, which both last for hours and hours...).
    --------------------------------------
    Today however, I started out with Narciso Rodriguez, then I went swimming and I don't have my NR decant with me, so now I'm wearing Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle. If they were any residue of NR after the swim and shower (there isn't) I think they would probably layer quite successfully anyway...
    Last edited by Clemmie; 24th August 2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

On work days usually one in the AM (pre-shower), one for work, and a third for a "well done you've survived another shift" treat before I fall asleep..

I'm a two a day'er my self. One in the morning and one late afternoon when I get home. Normally my daytime scent has faded by then.

Since I normally lose my sense of smell by about 9pm (bizarre, I know) I never wear the parfum strength for the early evening shift -- I don't want to waste the precious stuff. That's why I keep my faves in lighter strengths (ie EDT or EDP), as well.

I can't imagine having over 700 choices. I have over 80 bottles and over 120 samples, and I'm have major problems deciding sometimes. I normally check what others are wearing over here, in hopes of getting inspired for my daytime scent.

It's working great so far (except for the credit cards)
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    I wanna be you guys when I grow up...
    LOL! Exactly my words two years ago, I wanted to be Marlen/senteur7!

To answer the question: used to wear two -- one for work and one for gratification after the work day is over. Now I work mostly evenings, so it is one for gratification and reading Basenotes in the morning, and then another one for work, and then the third one to go to bed in. There are also spilling accidents, on-line enabling, store testing and cravings, so right now it is more like 3 or more per day.

Same as you really Twolf. One for work (which I top up if necessary) and a different one
    for the evening, if I am going out. If not, I put one on before bed, after my bath.
    Favourite bedtime scents include Angel the Lily, Heliotrope Blanc, Loukhoum,
    En Passant and Encens et Lavande.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Wowsers! Those are some great scents! You must have the most amazing sillage right now...

Personally, on the days when I am not taking a scent sabbatical (no scent all day), I tend to wear a minimum of 2 main (full body applications) perfumes - one for day / one to bed. I regularly wear 3 or four (full body applications) depending on strength, sillage and longevity of a scent. This number can double if I choose to layer a scent or two together. For example, yesterday I wore Arran Aromatics After the Rain together with Etro Vicolo Fiori which lasted through until I washed it off today!!

Unless I have applied a strong scent quite late in the evening (that I am still enjoying), I always apply scent before going to bed - in fact I actually have a small collection of scents that are specifically used at bed time.

When I say "I am just going to slip into something more comfortable..." I usually mean my night time perfume.

I don't often sit covered in different samples unless I am testing newly received samples / buys or I am refreshing my acquaintance with an old scent for reveiw or personal interest. I have nearly 700 perfumes - not including samples - so this is something I like to do quite regularly.

I must admit that I don't feel like I have properly worn a perfume if I have only applied it to wrist for sample purpose. It's like thinking you've read a book because you've read a synopsis...
    Moondiva, I find my self lusting after your wardrobe..and your avatar! woof!

Usually two a day for me: one in the morning and one in the evening.

On most days 2 different scents...

Mike

I tend to change scents no more than twice per day (unless Im sampling at my local stockist, that is).
    I spritz prior to work, and then after I return and shower in the evening, I spray something else to "wind down" before bed.

Same here, Dimitri.

Hi folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

On a work day I usually wear one daytime scent and one bedtime scent, however on an at home day I may change my scent several times if the mood takes me.

I read somewhere that in Arabic countries men and women will use different scents on different parts of the body - for example scenting the body with rose and musk, the hair with jasmine and behind the ears with saffron.

I rather like this idea. I'm not one for layering as I just seem to end up ruining expensive perfume this way, but I will sometime use two different complimentary fragrances - one on the ankles, and one on the wrists and the back of the neck. I do like to be able to smell the perfume I'm wearing during the day and find that I often get used to a scent whilst other people can still detect it. It is tempting to reapply and end up knocking out those around you. I find that using two different perfumes lightly on different parts of myself means that one or other of them is detectable to my nose all day, without having to respray.
    Last edited by Leontion; 25th August 2007 at 01:05 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Welcome Leontion! :wave:

I almost never layer in the strict sense of the word. That is, one fragrance over another, at least at initial application of more than one frag at the same time. I always choose different areas for each scent. Later though, I might overlay, particularly if the first application has faded.

I hope you enjoy Basenotes as much as I have and you can be sure your comments/thoughts are always welcome.

kbe
    Last edited by kbe; 25th August 2007 at 01:15 PM.

Really depends on the day, what I sprayed on in the morning, the weather, etc. On most days I stick to one that I will re-apply later on. When going out at night, though, I usually pick a new one. Oh, and sometimes I just like to apply something fresh, just for myself, in the late evening .
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

I use to wear the same perfume all the day but I change every day. Today I am wearing ANTIDOTE. I spray on myself and on the inside of the shirt. It results very well.
    When I wear the magnificent Eau d' Hadrien from Annick Goutal I wear the EDP which is strongest than EDT. I also fall in love with the new, very original and unique
    ( relaunched ) VIVARA from Emilio Pucci, which although is a women perfume I love to wear it, as well as a lot of memories with it....

Basenotes Institution

My routine lately has been:

First thing in the morning (pre-gym) - a light gym-friendly scent
    After shower at gym - my scent of the day
    Lunchtime - usually reapply my sotd or try my 2nd sotd
    After shower at night - my scent of the night
    Before I go to bed - my 'going to bed' comfort scent

I know, I know. But, this why I'm on Basenotes...right?

Basenotes Plus

Never more than two. If I put something "heavy" like Creed BDP on in the morning I would never follow up with something "light" like Aramis Surface later that day. I would, however, do it the other way if I was so inclined. I would also try to stay within the same genre, eg- orientals, although sometimes I use what I have in my office.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Leontion and Roberto. It's great to see new citizens here.

I usually wear one scent for the day and "visit" with others during TV prime time. I have a little cubby space next to where I sit in the evening, and in that enchanted cavern await decants and samples to sniff over and over. I usually end up applying something on my hand to smell as I enter that glide path to sleep.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I usually end up applying something on my hand to smell as I enter that glide path to sleep.

I often do that also Quarry..

I am SO glad you started this thread ....it has relieved me of the feeling that I have been cheating on you all.

See I make a morning commitment on SotD, and then, maybe it will happen that the SotD has worn down or off and I''ll augment - or not. But almost always I'll end up at the end of the day having been intimate with as many as four different lovies.

And on days of decanting or perfervid sampling....fugeddaboudid!!

Now - I feel it's OK. That you all understand - and that you really, really like me!

(Leontion and Roberto - GREAT to have you here!! Look forward to lots of posts from you both!!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

One or two.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd March 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Usually I wear one per day. But sometimes if I need to relax after work I take a shower and change the scent.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

At least ( but not limited to ) two!

Depends on how well my first choice was made!
    If I love it all day, I re-apply it all day.
    If I change my mind, I wash my arms and hands and put something else.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 30th August 2007 at 02:15 PM.

I change my fragrance many times a day during the weekend - scent doesn't last too long on me, so I can do it every 2-3 hours. Also, it's fun to play

During the work week it's usually one or two. I am so fickle!

Banned
    Blog Entries

at the most 2. i also carry an atomizer and usually use that about 3 times a day on days i work. but the weekends are different maybe up to 4.

Usually one, unless I’m testing, comparing or experimenting.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

I wear two also. One for work and one after my evening shower.

2 or 3.

Basenotes Plus

Invariably two. SotD followed by something different for the evening.

2-3 I carry around a number of samples in my purse, I have a ton!

Usually once, depends on staying power, of course. Twice if I go to gym. Often try new samples before I go to bed when atmosphere is peaceful and I'm concentrated.

Basenotes Plus

3 a day during the week, 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening from my collection. On the weekend I use my decants and samples, seems to work out really well for me.
    In the beginning of 2012 I tried using just 1 a day and I lasted only 3 weeks, so boring. Everyone is different and should whatever works best for them.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 24th February 2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Unless I'm testing new stuff for the first time, I generally wear one or two.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

For me - one per day.

On weekdays its two. One to work and then another in the evening or early evening.

On weekends I sometimes have the opportunity to wear 4 perfumes but most of the time its 3. One in the early morning (yeah I wake up early on weekends ), then another around lunch time and then a third in the evening. Sometimes betwen lunch and early evening I'll do one too.

I have showers and a change of clothes in between wearings.

- - - Updated - - -

On weekdays its two. One to work and then another in the evening or early evening.

On weekends I sometimes have the opportunity to wear 4 perfumes but most of the time its 3. One in the early morning (yeah I wake up early on weekends ), then another around lunch time and then a third in the evening. Sometimes betwen lunch and early evening I'll do one too.

I have showers and a change of clothes in between wearings.

for swap/sale:

Most of the time I only use one fragrance a day

one per day

3 --- Normally 1 in the morning after shower, i also use one on each arm b4 going to bed.

One per day, although I've been known to sample as many as 5 in one day. Finally had to stop because I ran out of places to put them!
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Just the one usually, but sometimes I will put a different perfume on in the evening if the one I wore during the day has faded.
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

The only time I wear more than one fragrance a day is if I go to the gym and wear one before going and a different one after my shower. I like taking the time to experience a single fragrance from start to finish.