Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3x3 Blind Sniff, Round 1 "Light'n'White"

After all frantic preparation and wait, we are pleased to announce that the first round of our Blind Sniff is happening! Thanks to everybody for your patience and participation.

Here is the scoop: three sets of identical 1 ml samples of fragrances marked A, B and C were sent out to our volunteer sniffers. What are they? As they all sniff, they will post their impressions and thoughts. The rest of the Basenotes' readers will ask questions in order to guess the name of the fragrances correctly. In order to make sure the game is fair, Tinker 424 was informed of what was in the vials.

Let the sniffing start!

Good luck and stay in good spirits! (I was missing saying this.... )

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff, Round 1 "Light'n'White"

Ohhhhhh Light N' White is it? I must find a new avatar to wear to these festivities.
    Hmmmm white & light.....

Couldn't decide between frangipani or magnolia ... decisions, decisions .... so I will wear my magnolia avatar today & frangipani tomorrow!!

Really looking forward to hearing all the sniffers' comments and everybody's questions/guesses!! :bounce:
    Last edited by Sudsy; 24th August 2007 at 02:47 PM.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

This is a good guess! Two of them samples have frangipani and one does have magnolia among the "official" notes.

Way to go! :wave:

~~~shocked~~~
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Please do not be! There is not many of them, actually, but the possibllities are endless. Let's see:
    Tuberose
    Gardenia
    Lily-of-the-valley
    Jasmine (many varieties)
    Magnolia
    Lily
    Frangipani
    Freesia
    Orange Blossom
    Narcissus
    Ylang ylang
    Snowdrop
    Lotus
    Water lily
    Linden blossom
    Cherry/apple/pear/almond blossom
    White rose, carnation, phlox, lilacs, iris, peony, hyacinth, geranium, etc.
    There are exotic notes, like white acacia, chestnut tree blossom, mattiola, tobacco flower and the Tear of Venus (this last one is supposedly used in BLU Vertigo) but they are not widely used. Yet. Am I forgetting anything?
    Last edited by Twolf; 25th August 2007 at 01:59 PM.

....in the flower shop - feeling very left out and realizing I have a problem. If I read these responses before opening my packets, will I be pre-influenced?

Does it matter?

Prolly not!

SO thrilled to be off and running!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Ooooh, good job, Sudsy.
    Magnolia and frangipani are hard for me to pick out.

Taolady, don't worry about being fair. Read whatever you have to read in order to make a guess. Any information is good information. I will enough of a challenge even if you read posts.

So WHO are our "Light N' White" sniffers anyway?
    I better go back to the other thread and look.

Sorry if it is a hassle: our Round 1 sniffers are Taolady, moondeva and tdi.

Ta da!!!

Picture this....freshly showered (with unscented gel) and oiled (I have dry skin and use unscented jojoba oil as a base on wrists and forearms [and elbows] face, throat and [beautiful] chest!!) I approach my desk with it's beckoning packet of 3X3 Light'nWhites - quivering with anticipation!!! (Me, not the packet.)

OK - here's A.! Pale yellow/orange - rather like the color of white tea - and like sample B is slightly more viscous than C. So an EDP or oil?

First sniff of bottle/vial is bright and sharp but not hesperidic. First sniff on application is JASMINEJASMINEJASMINE and a bit green. Smart. I think a bit of frangipani in there...and a hint of gardenia. After one hour it has mellowed down - a slight hint of sandalwood and maybe castoreum?? - with the jasmine and frangipani battling it out for first place. Reminds me a bit of Ayala's Tamaya.

I like it - it's perfect for this hot humid day. Is it FBW - the jury's still out.

It's name?

Beats me!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

All good observations, Taolady! And your nose did not play tricks on you -- all you have described is present there! On my skin the beginning is also "statement making" but it mellows down nicely. Another good point -- it DOES come from a woman, not Ayala though. How about the longevity and sillage? (I know we need more time and other people's opinions to answer this last question. )

Tao, would you say sample A has a tropical feel?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

OK. Into hour five, sample A is almost gone. She did bloom nicely through hours three and four, growing more gardenia than jasmine. Not a big opener or developer on me - I need something like Casmir or Bal a Versailles or (in the white florals - which I continue to think of as being white flowers!!) to really blow open doors....although I gotta say Jasmine Imperatrice comes close. I would consider the sillage to be moderate (but there's no one in my wake to check!!!)

Christine - is it tropical? To me tropical can be either these more voluptuous flowers or the suntan lotion/coconut/pineapple/sea breezy take. So I guess - yes, tropical. And also high-end. (And GROOVY avatar for Riannon!!! Where do you get them??!!)

Hmmmnnn. "It does come from a woman, not Ayala..."...I scurried over to Serena's site and see that she has a gardenia and a couple of lilies.....
    Last edited by TaoLady; 25th August 2007 at 05:33 PM.

Hmmm Tao...I have been thinking of Kai - would you compare?

(And GROOVY avatar for Riannon!!! Where do you get them??!!)
    LOL! Was about to say the same of your avatar
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 25th August 2007 at 06:36 PM.

There is definitely gardenia there (to my nose)! Not Ava Luxe, Kai or Creed. Rather than that everything is the way it is supposed to be!
    Last edited by Twolf; 25th August 2007 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Hmmm Tao...I have been thinking of Kai - would you compare?

(And GROOVY avatar for Riannon!!! Where do you get them??!!)
    LOL! Was about to say the same of your avatar
    For me, Kai is softer and rounder (if that makes sense.) A has all but disappeared by now (5-6 hours)...."Rather than that everything is the way it is supposed to be!".....WHAT do you think she means by that??!! Very Tao. We're thinking jasmine/gardenia/frangipani by a woman parfumeur if not house....anybody else got any ideas???

(And Riannon found that avatar for she/me a way back!!)

I am coming in a little late for the first sniff. I also put sample A on just a little while ago. The first blast i got was not jasmine but gardenia. It does not bear any likeness to Kai or Creed ( I have not tried Ava Luxe gardenia though). I am only about 20 minutes into this one though. Interestingly enough it is turning slightly sharp and green on me but I do smell the Jasmine now although the Gardenia is still at the front. I have absolutely no idea what this is but I am having fun! i will report back later.

Thanks to everybody for playing and having fun with this! I agree about Kai -- Kai is rounder, suppler, airier and does not have any tuberose!

LOL, girls, as you get ahead describing sample A, I seem to be experiencing ghost whiffs of it
    Aha, it has tuberose as well.....

(.....waiting for Moondeva to swoop in here and blow us away with the answer.)

What's so fascinating (among other things) is all our different reactions (physical) and perceptions (ineffable) to fragrances. In my mind there is a great similarity between jasmine and gardenia with jasmine having a higher frequency and gardenia being lower-voiced. Soprano to alto, sort of. At the extreme, from - say Montale's Jasmin Full to (OK - so it's far out) the old Jungle Gardenia (Tuvache) At those levels the distinction for me is clear - in more nuanced versions, not so.

(And don't you love that Lady in Black is getting vibes 'way over there in Italy!!!!)

Well my initial application was washed off because I had to shower( after I had been out messing around with my horses, the scent of white flowers mixed with sweaty horse is an interesting combo though) . I reapplied but this time to my wrist and not my hand. It's very interesting that scent A smelled slightly sweeter on my wrist but I still got the gardenia blast. It did mellow down quite nicely almost too much to my liking. I don't think it had huge sillage or my Mom would have mentioned it ( she hates it when I wear a white floral). As for the longevity, it has been six hours since my initial application and I can smell a trace of it and I am almost thinking I smell a touch of vanilla or tonka ( I could be suffering from heat stroke though it was very hot and I have been outside most of the day). I would say the longevity is fairly good because we went to my daughters soccer game and I was sweating and it managed to cling on in spite of the heat. All in all I like it a lot. I am going to go reapply before bed so I can continue to analyze....I am not very good at this, especially not knowing the answer...where is Moondeva and her lists?")

Hi everyone,

Smelly dolly here. Am fumbling my way around the site! Have just had a look at the first round of guesses, and am impressed with how many of you seem to know the 'lingo and seem quiet knowledgable, which is scary as I am part of the 2nd team!

You are such interesting sisters
    Love smelly dolly

Thumbs up Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff, Round 1 "Light'n'White"

Just trying to sort through Twolf's hints here:

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    ...Two...samples have frangipani and one does have magnolia among the "official" notes...

Ok so that is a beginning!!

...it DOES come from a woman, not Ayala though...

That is a very significant hint, isn't it!!!

There is definitely gardenia there (to my nose)! Not Ava Luxe, Kai or Creed. Rather than that everything is the way it is supposed to be!

That seems very cryptic but I haven't the least idea what she is trying to tell us!!

...Kai is rounder, suppler, airier and does not have any tuberose!

Ahhhhhh so now there is tuberose in "A", is that right??
    --------------------------------------
    :wave: Hi smelly dolly ... so we're set to GO GREEN in the next round then??
    Last edited by Sudsy; 26th August 2007 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What is the general character of A besides its being on the tropical side? Is it bright and glitzy or slow and contemplative or just "meh.."?
    Is there anything of Anais Anais or Carolina Hererra in A?
    Is the drydown pronounced woods or moss or musk?
    That slight dirtiness: do you think it is of animalic or indolic origin?
    Yeah, and where is moondeva?

Just dropping in to say that sample A sounds a bit like AG Songes to me. But this is probably very far off.

Sample A is not AG Songes. That much I am sure of because I wear Songes frequently. But now that Twolf has mentioned Carolina Herrerra I am intrigued. It's been a while since I have smelled that one! Back to sample A to re-sniff!

Blog Entries

O.K.

I am feeling at a serious disadvantage here as Light 'N' White scents feature only one notch above Oceanic / Acquatic / Ozonic scents for me. I have no real experience of them and probably wouldn't recognise one unless it was pointed out to me with a fog horn and in big neon letters. Pair this with the fact that I only crave florals in spring and that even then I usually love powerhouse oddities rather than the namby pamby delicate blooms that the majority prefer... *sigh*

So here are my current perceptions of the scents from my very limited, ignorant frame of reference:

Scent A:
    Colour: Clear tinged pale yellow
    Medium: Alcohol
    (perceived) Notes: Bergamot, Orange Blossom, Mandarin, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine (Hedione), Tuberose, Gardenia, Sandal, Vanilla, Amber, Musk.
    Perceptions: Smooth, Classic. This is not 'floral' as I personally understand it but I recognise that it features light white florals that create an impression of 'feminine', 'clean' and 'spring' to my nose. The opening is fruity and fresh like bergamot - citrus floral but not zesty. Smooth, classic, clean. The florals are ripe, fruity but not cloying. The more I smell this the more I am reminded of a classic Jean Patou scent - complex simplicity with a timeless, wearable elegance. As the scent wears on more florals come to the fore like a lovely spring / summer bouquet but they are fresh and 'alive' rather than a 'static' bunch of cut flowers in a jar. Very classic in a Caron kind of way... Could it be Mugeut de Bonheur? Or maybe Fleurs de Rocaille? The dry down is discreet and smooth white woods rather than musky - my skin but better. It smells like sun warmed skin which is what sandalwood, amber, musk and vanilla turn to on my skin. I like it! I would even probably enjoy a bottle of this...!! It reminds me of my favourite Patou Colony because of the fruitiness that I perceive but I believe that is probably down to the gardenia and tuberose rather than any fruit.

Actually I think I may own this scent!

Looking at the notes of my guess I think that the high pitched clean note I have labelled as Lily of the Valley may actually be Magnolia (a note that I am not particularly familiar with but which falls into the same 'posh soap' category as LotV for me). I get no rose but I know it must be in there rounding out and smoothing the blend.

A Guess: I think this may be Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle!! I fell in love with this scent last summer but sadly was unable to find an opportunity to appreciate it this year. Yep, that's it! I am a bit flummoxed to even come remotely close to loving a Light 'N' White scent, though I wouldn't consciously consider Jardins de Bagatelle 'light'. LOL!
    Last edited by moondeva; 26th August 2007 at 02:24 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

:bounce: All righty, here she comes! That's what we all needed to hear! Nicely done, moondeva! :bounce:

It is definitely close to Jardins de Bagatelle in both mood and composition, and I agree about the magnolia too. But wait.... Taolady will come from babysitting TWMGBC or whatever she is doing this morning, and tell you that it is not Jardins de Bagatelle that she has been enjoying for more than how many years now?

Speaking of Annick Goutal: No, it is not Songes, but my general perception would be that it is closer to her Tubereuse than her Gardenia Passion, but it is NOT by Annick Goutal.

So many possibilities still!

Blog Entries

Is it Vicky Tiel by Vicky Tiel?

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

No, sorry, but it comes from the house named after a lady. And... ta-da!... it is NOT mass-market!

Blog Entries

Patricia de Nicolai Just Un Reve? Or Etienne Aigner Too Feminine?
    Wait a minute.... You said named for a woman and not mass market - but you didn't say high end or expensive....

Is this Ava Luxe Orange Flowers or Neroli Blossom? I don't think it is but I have to ask on the off chance...
    Last edited by moondeva; 26th August 2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Is it an all-natural?

No, not Ava Luxe or others.

The price is about $40 for 50ml and about $60 for 100ml of EdT, which your sample is. If you can find it!

....pant.. pant ..pant... just left TWMAG and had to find out where we were at with frag A!!

Nowhere!!

Well, not 'zackly.. Had started down the mental path of houses named for a woman - paused at CH - kept on going. No Liz Taylor "fer shuuuure"....

"What is the general character of A besides its being on the tropical side? Is it bright and glitzy or slow and contemplative or just "meh.."?
    Is there anything of Anais Anais or Carolina Hererra in A?
    Is the drydown pronounced woods or moss or musk?
    That slight dirtiness: do you think it is of animalic or indolic origin?"

Bright glitzy v. slow contemplative?
    I would put it somewhere between - closer to contemplative. This pretty girlcan lunch with the ladies after golf and/or go wine bar hopping.

Definitely something of CH CH (thanks Tinks!!!) the only CH I've tried.

Drydown is ambery to me and I think the dirtiness goes more to civet/castoreum.

MEANWHILE - having used up all my A, I began haring after B - but will wait so's not to confuse things.

Question Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff, Round 1 "Light'n'White"

Where are all the guys? Aren't they supposed to be included in this too?
    Can Light N' White be part of a man's wardrobe?

I hope that there are male/female/unisex frags in all these trials because at least one of mine sure smells MALE to me!!

Blog Entries

Is the house Jo Malone? Smells to earthy / dirty for that but I'm guessing blind here anyway...

The price is about $40 for 50ml and about $60 for 100ml of EdT, which your sample is. If you can find it!
    I fear it can't be Jo Malone or any high end niche at these prices. Twolfie, are you suggesting it's discontinued ?

Will be available back in September, or so they say!

Does it happen to be from any one of these houses??
    Sonia Rykiel - Ellen Tracy - Agatha Brown

And the answer is.... NO! (besides, Agatha Brown is much more expensive). Good part is that fragrance A is in the Directory!

If everybody is stumbled, why do not we overview the rest of them -- B and C -- and return to this one later? It is up to you, dear sniffers!
    Last edited by Twolf; 26th August 2007 at 06:48 PM.

Blog Entries

I fear it can't be Jo Malone or any high end niche at these prices. Twolfie, are you suggesting it's discontinued ?
    That would probably explain why I like it...

Is the perfumer´s first name Béatrice? Sorry for popping in like this, but I AM SO CURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Ran a quick check on Now Smell This and could not find the answer to musse's question. Sorry.

Ran a quick check on Now Smell This and could not find the answer to musse's question. Sorry.
    That confirms that my guess was wrong...

*sneaks away from thread*
    Last edited by musse; 26th August 2007 at 07:30 PM.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I am so confused by Sample A I have slipped into sample B! I like sample B a lot so far. Floral but spiecey which is how i generally like my florals. I will have to ponder it for a while.

Mmmmmm. . . How about Tova for A? I've never smelled this myself, but. . .

WHAT? Nobody has guessed "A" frag yet?
    Seems like I've been away for ages and expected you all to have sussed it.
    Unfortunately I can see I've been no help with my last guesses.
    (How long was the Community down again for?)

Lurking and now....sneaking in
    Hello and good afternoon, fragranced ladies.

Somehow the descriptions of A reminded me of Chloé. Still have the vintage extrait.

:: oh well, sometimes you just must fire in the dark, no?::
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

..nothing more comforting than flaming female dragon breath once again blowing over one's shoulder
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Blog Entries

Scent B:
    Colour: Clear orangey-yellow

Medium: Alcohol

(perceived) Notes: Bergamot, Heliotrope, Rose, Sandal, Heliotrope,Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Musk. Oh, and HELIOTROPE!

Perceptions: Heliotrope overload. Sweet, powdery, almost gourmand. A similar feel to opoponax this scent feels like a soft, comforting blanket of snow. This smells like an Ava Luxe creation - is it White, I wonder? No, not gourmand enough. Maybe Angel Face... I haven't tried either one so I am only suggesting those from the reviews and descriptions I have read. This is the Johnson & Johnson baby powder that I get in the heart of Loukhoum.

The more I smell this the more I am reminded of other heliotrope dominated scents I have encountered. Heliotrope explodes on my skin decimating the surrounding (scentsual) landscape with a snowfall of powder. I will be amazed if there is no heliotrope in this.

Could this be a Caron? Farnesiana EDP maybe? I have the parfum which is very similar but this is thinner in scent, less luxe. The scent on me is pretty linear, with little evolution or development. It just fades as the time goes on...

The dry down is as soft and powdery as the beginning - just softer. It reminds me of my Crown Perfumery Heliotrope but with a less pronounced 'new doll head' accord.

Guess: Etro Heliotrope
    PS: Does Scent A = Jil Sander Style?
    Last edited by moondeva; 29th August 2007 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Scent B:
    (perceived) Notes: Bergamot, Heliotrope, Rose, Sandal, Heliotrope,Vanilla, Tonak Bean, Musk. Oh, and HELIOTROPE!

LOL!!

Moondeva, would you say the accent is more on the flowery or on the "almondy" aspect of heliotrope?

Heliotrope is exactly what I got from scent B. I really can not discern much else from it although there is something spicey in there. I love Heliotrope and I rather enjoyed this fragrance although as Moondeva mentioned it is fairly linear. I thought maybe at first it was Caron because of the spice in it but I have never had a Caron stay linear on me. I think Moondevas guess of Etro Heliotrope is a good one, although I have never smelled their Heliotrope. It does remind me of some of the other Etro scents though. In response to Lady in Blacks question it is more floral than pure almond on me.
    Last edited by tdi; 28th August 2007 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks tdi for your impressions! Etro's Heliotrope is much more almondy on my skin than its kissing cousin (also Italian ), featuring pure baby powder - as Moondeva said - especially upon initial application and focusing much more on the floral aspect of heliotrope.

How much oily residue on skin? And longevity?

Taolady, where are you? Needing your feedback!

Running around in tight little circles trying to find B. (I can hear R.'s laughter now.) I had gotten impatient awaiting an answer/solution of A and slipped into B - (memory, quiet floral with a hint of maybe cinnamon that gentled down into an almondy slightly vanillic powder. Couldn't identify the flower note which y'all say is heliotrope.)

Am of no use to anyone - trying to rid my computer of a pesky porn site that won't go away. Feel everybody is watching!

Blog Entries

LOL!!

Moondeva, would you say the accent is more on the flowery or on the "almondy" aspect of heliotrope?
    The focus, to me, is more upon the floral side. As I mentioned I actually have Caron Farnesiana parfum which is very almondy and foody to my nose but this is softer and more powdery. I get very little of the 'marzipan' element in this blend. It is definitely all about the powder...

Took me eons to find my path back to the Community -- I was feeling withdrawls and there was nothing to read on the net again! Google did it for me, "Basenotes community" typed in and Bam! here I come.

Thanks, folks, for still not having lost your interest!

Sample A. No correct guesses yet. It is lighter in both color and smell than Chloe (which comes as bright orange to me!), although I agree it is not particularly light and there are some similarities going on. First it was launched in the late 70-s and it comes in a silver grey box. I got my mini in a swap with ........... musse!

Sample B. I was not able to find the official set of notes for it and I am not very familiar with heliotrope, but I trust your collective judgement on this! Remember what my Oma used to be saying (sorry I quote this probably more often than I should?): "Live and learn and die a fool!" What color are heliotrope flowers anyway? What made me include it into this round, was sweet powder, lots and lots of it, with hints of vanilla and fringipani, which combined, created a "white cloud" effect on my skin. There is something woody in it too, but the scent is not particularly long-lasting and the basenotes are not very defined. It is a reformulated version, still coming in the same style small bottle without a spray as the original one; my mother-in-law still has a few drops of the original fragrance left in her 40-(?-) year-old bottle and they do smell very close! As for the box: this fragrance has never had any! It is also in the Directory.
    Last edited by Twolf; 29th August 2007 at 04:15 PM.

I just got back on the forum after being lost going to bad links for days.
    Have to catch up on my reading on this thread.

ACK! Violet or lilac, they are. How embarassing

Making another stab in the dark: Jil Sander Woman Pure

What about lilac and violet, Lady_in_Black?

No, not from Jil Sander.