Code of Conduct

Question Antaeus or Prada Amber pour Homme? Which one?

Which one would you choose???

Default Re: Antaeus or Prada Amber pour Homme? Which one?

Wow...what different fragrances!!!
    I am on a barbershop...soapy kick, so I like Prada Amber Pour Homme.

Antaeus stands as a classic though and you need it as well. :0

Everyone ought to own a bottle of Antaeus -- it's powerful, beautifully crafted stuff. Prada's nice enough if you like soapy and ambery scents, yes, but I wouldn't compare it to Antaeus, neither in terms of sheer importance nor complexity, no. Go with the Antaeus.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I´m also on a barbershop fragrance kick...i love YSL Rive Gauche...Narciso Rodrigeuz for Him is also ok...Jock_With_Scents what kind of fougére scent should test...Prada Amber pour homme is very nice...i think i need both :-)
    --------------------------------------
    @tvlampboy, no comparing here...i don´t know which one to choose...i know there are different and how they smell...maybe i need both.
    Last edited by P-Natra; 24th August 2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Antaeus!

I like Yerbamate - Lorenzo Villoresi, Rive Gauche Intense, Chevalier d'Orsay, Prada Amber Pour Homme, Fou d'Absinthe, and Arome 3 Tradition - D'Orsay as my 'barbershop like' smellies. Not all are the same scent family, buy I get a classic, masculine feel that has a nod to the past in all of them.

I think the normal version of rive gauche is a bit fresher and better...i like that...the intense is bit darker (more patchouli in the basenote)...thanks for your answer.

You are very correct on the Rive Gauche Pour Homme and the Intense version. Depends on my mood and the occasion. I have to have both, but the patchouli in the Intense version is addictive for me.

Basenotes Institution

I don't like either - but I think if I had to choose, I would choose Antaeus.

I'm also a Rive Gauche PH fan, and I'm at the very end of my decant - I think I'm going to invest in a new bottle of the Intense, as fall approaches...unless, of course, I fall in love with the new Tom Ford for Men.

Prada. It's more contemporary IMHO.

Totally different fragrances actually. Prada has a very pleasant soapy greeness over a light ambery base while Antaeus is deeper, more aromatic and with a dramatic, yet with a layed back attitude.
    I could live ages without Prada PH while sooner or later I would have cravings for Antaeus, so my advice is towards it.
    P.S. there's more Agarwood than patchouly in Rive Gauche PH, Antaeus has instead loads of patchouly in the base.

Well, i like both scents, as different as they are.

If i didn't have either of them, i would get Antaeus. But that's only if i happen to like stronger scents.
    If soft, clean, and shortlasting is no problem for me, and i like the way the prada one smells on my skin, then i would get that one .
    If you spray them both of them , one on each arm, Antaeus will eat Prada alive.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 24th August 2007 at 04:08 PM.

It`s got to be Antaeus.

For me that generally mentioned barbershop-feeling in Prada is kind of stomach-turning, so I wouldn't buy it. So definitely Antaeus.

Like said before, they are very differend and I like them both.
    Anteus being a classic and all and the Prada is a bit more versatile, and less 80's.
    Saying that, I admit I wear the Prada more.
    Anteus can be a bit too much at times, ..for me anyway.

they are both good (Antaeus and Prada)...i will buy them both...but now, i sprayed Rive Gauche on my neck...damn that fragrance is sooo amazing...i think, i have to get the intense version for fall...thats right mikeperez23...and Tom Ford for Men will be my next buy :-) I hope it will be so good like M7 or Rive Gauche (but in another direction)!!!
    Last edited by P-Natra; 25th August 2007 at 12:24 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Both are nice, but if I had to choose... Antaeus. If Prada Amber were to disappear it would be too bad; but if Antaeus were to disappear, it would be a loss of historic proportions!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I know Antaeus it´s a CLASSIC, without a doubt...

Prada is nice, but I don't find it very out coming. For me it is more casual, free time or office fragrance. I think that Antaeus is more sensual, romantic and characterful. I don't know why, but I miss something in the fragrances of nowadays. Not in all of them, but most of them are very superficial and don't have the guts and that much character. In a way they remind me the youth of nowadays.

Antaeaus it is a classic lasting over 20 years on the fragrance market. Prada - it can only hope it last about 4 years on the market.

No contest at all. Antaeus.

Talking Re: Antaeus or Prada Amber pour Homme? Which one?

Thanks, I needed to laugh

Antaeus, hands down.

Preferably for the night, of course.

Prada is about a C + and a rather generic amber

But, as usual, that's just my personal, subjective, and infallible opinion.
    So check out the reviews.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Id personally go the Prada... with the northern days drawing in, its a winner in my book.

Hi there
    They are both very good.

I´d go with the Prada as well, far more versatile. I really like Antaeus, but actually more in theory than in reality. Something in there can be seriously cloying at times. The shower gel is excellent though - incredibly strong on it´s own.

The Prada on the other hand is a great quality update on classic barbershop. Soapy, clean and suitable for almost all occasions.

/mmm

As a 20-something guy, I can't stand strong old fashioned classics like Antaeus! Not only this one, But all of it's contemporaries are too heavy and annoying for me!
    I prefer pleasant, smooth, clean, and fresh smell of Prada without any doubt. Also I admit Prada won't be alive for more than 4,5 years, but it is the same for other products(Good or Bad).
    Who said a man must wear ONE perfume during his life? I'll wear prada and when finding better ones I'll put it away!
    Last edited by msi_21; 15th October 2007 at 04:41 PM.

Rock me, Antaeus.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

It`s got to be Antaeus.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Totally different fragrances actually. Prada has a very pleasant soapy greeness over a light ambery base while Antaeus is deeper, more aromatic and with a dramatic, yet with a layed back attitude.
    I could live ages without Prada PH while sooner or later I would have cravings for Antaeus, so my advice is towards it.
    P.S. there's more Agarwood than patchouly in Rive Gauche PH, Antaeus has instead loads of patchouly in the base.
    Mags, this perfectly expresses my own view, so I'll just say 'ditto'.

I've been wearing Antaeus for the last three days, and really love it — that and Giorgio of Beverley Hills after shave. I can't think of anything else that's quite like it. Truly a classic.
    --------------------------------------
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh…

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    As a 25 something guy,
    You could be a 20-something guy, or a 30-something guy…but I don't think you can be a 25-something guy. You're either 25 or your not. (Unless those months really matter at 25! )
    Last edited by Eluard; 21st September 2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Red face Re: Antaeus or Prada Amber pour Homme? Which one?

You could be a 20-something guy, or a 30-something guy…but I don't think you can be a 25-something guy. You're either 25 or your not. (Unless those months really matter at 25! )[/QUOTE]

THX for your comment!

I'm 56-something. at least I was when the bandages came off.

I'd want Antaeus in my wardrobe at all times. It's a wonder that stuff that sells for 4 times as much isn't an eigth as good. All that said, I enjoyed a decant of the Prada but didn't feel it was bottle worthy.

I'm wearing Antaeus on my left side and Shalimar on my right and listening to cats copulating outside.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 22nd September 2007 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I'm wearing Antaeus on my left side and Shalimar on my right and listening to cats copulating outside.
    A memorable quote. I actually think I will write this one down.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    A memorable quote. I actually think I will write this one down.
    thank you shifts —

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Like said before, they are very differend and I like them both.
    Anteus being a classic and all and the Prada is a bit more versatile, and less 80's.
    Saying that, I admit I wear the Prada more.
    Anteus can be a bit too much at times, ..for me anyway.
    Yes, one can wear Prada whereas Antaeus wears one...

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    Yes, one can wear Prada whereas Antaeus wears one...
    Yep I agree with that. Purely a power scent to use every now and then for me.... I could not wear Antaeus frequently.
    Last edited by r2s; 15th October 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Go the PRADA
    In the wintertime this scent is so calming and whimsical.
    Save Anteus for your power-lunches and black-tie affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    ...P.S. there's more Agarwood than patchouly in Rive Gauche PH, Antaeus has instead loads of patchouly in the base.
    M7 comes to my mind. Agarwood & Patchouli. RG should have less agarwood then m7.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytebuster View Post
    ... I think that Antaeus is more sensual, romantic and characterful...
    Antaeus is here always mentioned as an powerhouse frag. The sensual, romantic side was an argument for me to put it in my wishlist and kick gucci ph & m7 (for a later buy).

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Nothing Nothing NOTHING
    beats "ANTAEUS"
    gupts
    i don´t know prada & vote for antaeus, too.
    Last edited by sanatik; 15th October 2007 at 03:40 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

What a strange choice of the two... Why not buying them both if you like them?

I would buy Antaeus, if I had to choose only one. I like Prada, but it's not comparable to Antaeus in terms of sophistication and style.

prada prada prada, such an interesting smell in comparison to antaeus in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytebuster View Post
    I think that Antaeus is more sensual, romantic and characterful.

As i said in my last posting here. Antaeus is here always mentioned as an powerhouse frag. The sensual, romantic side was an argument for me to put it in my wishlist and kick gucci ph & m7 (for a later buy).

But i am really wondering about this comment from the "You smell like a Girl" Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by QuietEarth View Post
    Antaeus.

I made the comment after I tested it one lunchtime. I said that I thought I smelled like a blue-haired 70-plus year old woman at a bingo hall. My colleague agreed with me, and asked when I was going to either wash it off or walk away.

QE
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I can actually empathise with QuietEarth's comment. I mean I perhaps wouldn't go as far as that but I think to the 'simple' mans nose (without analyzing the scent) I think it can come accross as a bit "tart's boudoir"!

I think that the fragrances heritage as an important part of perfume history is undoubted however if I have to spend too much time trying to like something and trying to appreciate it's masterful composition but not actually enjoying the smell to much... well I dont care for that.
    Last edited by r2s; 17th October 2007 at 10:03 AM.

Those fragarnce are very contradicting each other. If you like soft fragrance maybe you will love Prada Amber.
    But if you prefer a strong scent you can try Antaeus

Prada = soapy = good
    Antaeus = aromatic = bad... on my skin !!! I like the top notes but after 10 mins its so mute on my skin ><