Code of Conduct

Default Acier Aluminum - Is there really civet in this one?

I want to try this one and the civet note I hear about has me even more curious. How prominent is it (if it is there)?

Default Re: Acier Aluminum - Is there really civet in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I want to try this one and the civet note I hear about has me even more curious. How prominent is it (if it is there)?
    I would say, "not very". It's the first civet scent I've tried though... It comes off more like leather to me... PM me and I can send you a sample.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

This one it has a lot to do with how much you apply--when I use a lot I get a lot of animalism. I'm not quite sure it's civet, but it resembles it a bit. If I apply a minimum amount, I get powder.
    Last edited by foetidus; 24th August 2007 at 03:48 PM.

I dont get any civet from this one; the animalism might be due to a floral indole. I don't think Creed uses civet in any of their fragrances, or if they do, its never prominent (atleast to my nose).
    -

I don't smell civet in Acier Aluminum. It has a metallic orange spice opening that sits on top of a very slight leather/amber note. There may be a hint of cumin or possibly some warm floral that hints at animalism in the mid notes. It opens kind of sharp but softens up really fast. Very pleasant fragrance.

Another from Creed, Orange Spice, is similar but has more orange and spice up front and more civet like animalism in the drydown. Reminds of the Kouros drydown. I doubt that this is civet either - probably is cumin or another note that gives that animal quality.

Cuir Oranger from Miller Harris also has an orange opening, but instead of spices it goes directly into a strong civet scent in the mid notes with an oak moss leathery drydown. I also doubt this is actually civet either, but it reveals more civet-like animalism than any of these other orange fragrances. Also, cuir oranger is oak moss leather in the drydown rather than spices.

All three are good ones.

No civet. As mentioned above, it's the indole, but more importantly the ambergris used in the concoction. AA is the only western fragrance that gives me the ambergris note so prominently. I don't get in any other fragrance that claims to have (strictly western perfumery as many Arabic perfumes present ambergris quite prominently).
    AA is just incredibly nice and pleasing.

Off-Scenter

I've gone back and forth as to whether there really is any civet in Acier Aluminium. If there is, it is extremely subtle and well-blended. It's certainly not the kind of civet note you'll get from Jicky or Ungaro II. Good if you're wary of civet, but not if you're looking for a real civet-based scent.

if there's civet in a.a. it isn't more than a drop. i definitely don't smell any.

for what it's worth, the civet in ungaro 2 is synthetic. in jicky it's very real and can be a problem in warm temperatures.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    if there's civet in a.a. it isn't more than a drop. i definitely don't smell any.

for what it's worth, the civet in ungaro 2 is synthetic. in jicky it's very real and can be a problem in warm temperatures.
    Wow! I'm surprised that Guerlain still gets away with natural civet these days, given all the European regulations. I've operated under the assumption that all of today's civet came out of the laboratory, not a mammalian backside.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Wow! I'm surprised that Guerlain still gets away with natural civet these days, given all the European regulations. I've operated under the assumption that all of today's civet came out of the laboratory, not a mammalian backside.
    I very much doubt that Guerlain is using real civet cat extract.
    Synthetic is my bet. Nothing wrong with synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    I very much doubt that Guerlain is using real civet cat extract.
    Synthetic is my bet. Nothing wrong with synthetic.
    Vintage Jicky that could still be found in many places does have genuine civet.
    Guerlain developed synthetic civet and it's top quality. I will always buy the new Jicky.
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 25th August 2007 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I dont get any civet from this one; the animalism might be due to a floral indole. I don't think Creed uses civet in any of their fragrances, or if they do, its never prominent (atleast to my nose).
    How would it compare to Ungaro II then?