Code of Conduct

Default Dry, Masculine Scents for Warm Climate

I have a hankerin' for some dry, masculine scents that will work in the warm climate of Georgia. We have very warm weather through October.

Some candidates:

Rochas Lui
    Tuscany
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Paco Rabanne
    Visit

Any thoughts on how these work in heat? Any others I should consider?

Default Re: Dry, Masculine Scents for Warm Climate

Jaisalmer - CDG
    L'air du Desert Marocain - Andy Tauer
    Fresh - Tobacco Flower
    L’Homme de Coeur – Divine

Rochas Lui has a dry feeling to it, but like LDDM and L'Homme de Coeur, the drydown is mildly sweet to my nose.
    I LOVE ROCHAS LUI!

Basenotes Institution

Of your choices, I would only recommend Guerlain Vetiver.

Others:

I second the recommendation for L'Air du Desert Moracain by Tauer (the penultimate dry scent for warm weather...try it and you'll see what we're talking about)

Also, Paprika Brasil by Hermes and Purple Water by Asprey.

Guerlain Vetiver is soooo good , and it's one of those that works great in any kind of weather (if you like it, some people don't at all, which I find strange - it's one of the best out there for me).
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver is soooo good , and it's one of those that works great in any kind of weather (if you like it, some people don't at all, which I find strange - it's one of the best out there for me).
    Ditto. It's simply perfect. Dry, nutmeg-spicy, perfect in all weather, hot, cold, dry or wet. No doubt, you won't be disappointed!

Hell...at the last minute I decided to wear Heritage EdT - Guerlain today in 98 degree heat and it is incredible! Heres to Guerlain! Oh and also, yesterday, an SA gave me a full bottle of (new bottle) Guerlain- Vetiver, so tomorrow, I will give it a go. Never say never, but the tobacco in the drydown of Vetiver has not been kind to me in the past. But my nose has 'grown up' some since then.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 24th August 2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling

If you go for the Vetiver, make sure to get the oldest bottle you can find, as Guerlain's changed its formulation lo the past few years.

Me, I have to second JwS's comments and stress to you just how wonderful Rochas Lui is. It's one of my favorites, too.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

If you ask me, only go for Vetiver's 90s-edition, not the earliest. (See the difference on my blog if you wish)

The weather here is rather warm even in the fall. I have several fall favorites and more new scents I am looking forward to wearing this fall season. JWS's recommendation of Heritage is one I intend to wear this fall. Others you might want to test include Cacharel PH; Jack Black Signature, Black Mark; and Tommy Bahama.

The following fragrances are a few I intend on wearing during our warm Georgia October: Cacharel PH, Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque, No. 88, Noir Epices, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Heritage, Van Cleef & Arpels PH, and Oscar de la Renta pour Lui.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    The following fragrances are a few I intend on wearing during our warm Georgia October: Cacharel PH, Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque, No. 88, Noir Epices, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Heritage, Van Cleef & Arpels PH, and Oscar de la Renta pour Lui.

I find Ambre Sultan (like most Lutens) is way better when it's humid - if you've got dry weather it gets really powdery, while in humidity it's like rich honey chocolate nectar of the gods.

Fumerie Turque is one of the rare lutens that's better in drier weather.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I find Ambre Sultan (like most Lutens) is way better when it's humid - if you've got dry weather it gets really powdery, while in humidity it's like rich honey chocolate nectar of the gods.

The ultra-dry air of Mexico City in December made my Arabie dissolve into nothingness within a 1/2 hour. I'm all for a mix of humidity and warmth with my Lutens' fragrances.

Homme de Grès
    L'Occitane's Vetyver
    Eau sauvage
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Of those you listed, Vetiver. (my sotd today)

But ... Eau Sauvage fits the bill perfectly IMO

I have also found that many Lutens I have worn wear different and smell different depending on the climate. Ambre Sultan radiates spicy sensuality like a supernova in our hot, humid Georgia heat. A little goes a long way. Heat and humidity seem to amplify the projection power of the spices in the fragrance. Whereas in our handful of cooler months, I have noticed that Ambre Sultan becomes more of a slightly smoky, resinous presence on my skin, wafting up to greet me every now and then as a reminder that it still remains. A ghost of its summer self perhaps. These chameleonlike seasonal changes are one of the things I admire about Ambre Sultan and some of the other fragrances in the SL line.

Isfarkand---Ormonde Jayne.

Off-Scenter

Dry, you say?

Try Dzongkha, which is bone dry and somehow very "mysterious" and evocative in the heat. Iris Bleu Gris, from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Padme Lotus, by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz, and Villoresi's Yerbamate are some other dry scents for men that work very well in hot weather.

Oh - and I almost forgot: Tam Dao!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 25th August 2007 at 04:21 AM.

Dunhill 1934
    Aramis 900
    Romeo Gigli Sud Est
    Gucci Nobile
    R de Capucci

A few to test if you get a chance...

Best regards,
    Mike

My vote goes to Guerlain Vetiver. And to Mr. Guerlain...a nice blog. Love the fragrance bottle collection.

Thanks globetrekker - i'm kind of a bottle fetishist as you can see :-)

i only now guerlain vetiver and Paco Rabanne from your list.

Use vetiver very often especially when the weather is good. Perfect. Very Longlasting.

Another one could be Kiton Men which i want to buy at next. Longlasting too.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

The new Lancome, Hypnose for Men is very good (spicy Oriental, fresh). It has had little echo on Basenotes, but there are some good reviews. I still find Carolina Herrera for Men very good on hot and humid days, and neither of them is sweet.
    Last edited by narcus; 25th August 2007 at 11:09 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Frederic Malle French Lover

Santos Concentree
    Jack Black Signature Black Mark

Thanks guys. I reckon I'll go with Rochas Lui for now. Maybe Guerlain Vetiver as well.

I appreciate your comments!

Hi ChuckW, check your private messages!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    I have also found that many Lutens I have worn wear different and smell different depending on the climate. Ambre Sultan radiates spicy sensuality like a supernova in our hot, humid Georgia heat. A little goes a long way. Heat and humidity seem to amplify the projection power of the spices in the fragrance. Whereas in our handful of cooler months, I have noticed that Ambre Sultan becomes more of a slightly smoky, resinous presence on my skin, wafting up to greet me every now and then as a reminder that it still remains. A ghost of its summer self perhaps. These chameleonlike seasonal changes are one of the things I admire about Ambre Sultan and some of the other fragrances in the SL line.
    Honestly, I have never tried Ambre Sultan in the heat. I will soon.

I, too.live in a warm, even semi-tropical climate (New Orleans, LA). I have found Rochas Lui to be very wearable in this heat and humidity. LddM, however, is too sweet in the drydown and too smoky, really, for me to enjoy in the heat and humidity. In the fall and winter, however, it is fabulous. I realize this is strictly a personal thing. I have often wanted to ask Jock with Scents how he enjoys LddM in the Memphis heat and today's post(s) have answered that question. Wish it worked as well for me in our oppressive heat and humidity!