Code of Conduct

Default I tried to be a man and wear rive gauche

I like it but it's so not me. I was so happy to wash it off and put on gris clair in its place.
    Last edited by supermarky; 24th August 2007 at 10:51 PM.

Default Re: I tried to be a man and wear rive gauche

I'm with you on this. I try to like this, but its so bone dry, I feel like I'm dehydrated when I wear it. I think there are several others I can wear in its place.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    I like it but it's so not me. I was so happy to wash it off and put on gris clair in its place.
    Gris Clair is also bone dry, but after giving Rive Gauche two extensive try-outs, I gave up on its oxygen eating chemicals. Gris Clair actually clears my head.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th August 2007 at 02:06 AM.

The top notes are the hardest to like...the secret ive found...use only one spray a good distnace from the body(maybe a foot) and its heavenly drydown...two sprays will gag ya...

I got bone dry from Rive Gauche to. I however did not get it for Gris Clair.

the thing is RG makes me feelin like I'm trying to be a completely different person, like some businessman or something.

Gris Clair is theatrical, kinda goth/vampiric, exotic and extreme - a much better fit!

Incidentally it was Rive Gauche light, cause Rive Gauche regular stinks!
    Last edited by supermarky; 25th August 2007 at 05:38 AM.

I love Rive Gauche Homme - mainly to look at! The fragrance doesn't do much for me. Neither does Gris Clair. That one is so dry it could have a sobering effect . But as I do not drink I really have no need for GC either.
    Last edited by narcus; 25th August 2007 at 06:04 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I love YSL Rive Gauche...i´m glad that this fragrance fits to me...i´m 33 years old...you don´t have to be formal for that fragrance...!!!
    Last edited by P-Natra; 25th August 2007 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    I like it but it's so not me.
    Every time I give ti a chance from time to time at the mall, it makes me feel like Burt Reynolds blown in some 70's movies but now in a sexy way, just in a bit aged one.

I like the drydown of Rive Gauche - is it vetiver/gaiac wood/patchouli? But the chore of waiting out the heavy spice opening is too much of a sacrifice. Life is short. Move on.

I can't wear it much either!

It's not me. It's kinda macho scent.But I like it and baught a bottle of EDT intense recently
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I tried to be a woman, but I just couldn't get the bra to look right with my army boots. And the 6-inch heels landed me on my ass 3 too many times.

All seriousness aside, I like RG, but it didn't gun my motor, so I traded it. Gee, maybe it was to my Carven buddy Ruggles?!

(Ruggles, my man! I think I'll trot out the Carven Homme again today - thanks for the idea!)

Beautiful fragrance and one of the most versatile out there. For what it's worth, women almost universally love it.
    Last edited by pluran; 25th August 2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: source

if they ever discontinued Rive Gauche or any of it's variations I'd feel my life so diminished I'd find it hard to go on.

That being said. Thank God for Gris Clair

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    if they ever discontinued Rive Gauche or any of it's variations I'd feel my life so diminished I'd find it hard to go on.
    I have some bad suspicion about these original YSL scents- M7, Rive Gauche, Jazz

Wouldn't they be discontinued? They are always on sale. Wouldn't YSL start to launch scents as the newist one - unoriginal, but nice L'homme?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Love Rive Gauche for men.
    I feel like i can bend the bars of a cage.
    I've never felt it was too macho nor dated..

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento View Post
    I tried to be a woman, but I just couldn't get the bra to look right with my army boots. And the 6-inch heels landed me on my ass 3 too many times.

All seriousness aside, I like RG, but it didn't gun my motor, so I traded it. Gee, maybe it was to my Carven buddy Ruggles?!

(Ruggles, my man! I think I'll trot out the Carven Homme again today - thanks for the idea!)
    I think you did send me your RG. I swapped out, too. I remember that I purchased it originally upon its release and couldn't get into it back then either. Long live Carven PH!

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Love Rive Gauche for men.
    I feel like i can bend the bars of a cage.
    I've never felt it was too macho nor dated..
    Agreed, Rive Gauche is an excellent scent. I think it's pretty similar, but spicier than Azzaro PH, which has a soapier scent to it.

Basenotes Institution

What a coincidence...

I just used up the last of my RG decant (that I bought from supermarky a while ago), yesterday.

I luv it, and I'm looking forward to replacing it with a brand new bottle of the Intense this fall.

The Barbasol shave foam notes, soapy vibe and patchouli drydown fit me like a comfortable worn in white T-shirt.

I really don't see anything special about RG. There are MUCH better frags out there in my opinion.

Some love it, some not...like always...me, i loooovvvvvvvvveee it...and it is so cheap.

It's all what works for us, isn't it? I happen to love RG for its old fashioned barber-shop-ness.

I think you can´t put a fragrance in a catagory (old or new)...believe me everything comes back...for me is RG not old fashioned. It´s just how you represent your fragrance that you wear. Same thing with music, clothes and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post

That being said. Thank God for Gris Clair
    If they discontinued Rive Gauche, then do not fear. Truefitt & Hill's Grafton to the rescue.

Rive Gauche makes me feel like a bad ass. It goes well with a black outfit.

I tried to be a woman and wear 24' Fauburg.
    No dice.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??