Code of Conduct

Threaded View

Post C&S Dark Rose _ POTL A.Maze _ Montale Black Oud

Three excellent fragrances, three rose-oud combos, three expensive fragrances.

I tried a sample of Czech & Speake Dark Rose a while ago, and really loved its restrained yet powerful combo of oud and roses with a woody base. Linear yes, but who cares when the smell is so attractive ?

A.Maze by People of the Labyrinths - henna, saffron, Taif rose, orange blossom, Wardia rose, agarwood, sandalwood, musk and civet. It smells strikingly similar to Dark Rose.. I get that same distinctive rose-saffron-sandalwood accord, but its rendered more complex here. The henna is a fantastic addition, and those who know its distinctive aroma can easily catch the earthy herbal slightly salty accord in play here. The civet is more subdued, but makes its presence known in the base. Everything else smells the same as Dark Rose...as far as I recall.

Montale Black oud smells the most different .. its oud note is also the most intense and medicinal, and the rose-sandalwood-leather accord recalls C&S no. 88 more than Dark Rose.

I haven't been able to score more Dark Rose to make updated comparisons (for some reason its been out of production for over an year) ; what are your impressions of the three ? Do you detect any similarities ?
    Last edited by zztopp; 25th August 2007 at 01:07 AM.
    -