Code of Conduct

Thread: Champs Elysees

Default Champs Elysees

I'm so glad the forum is back! Can anyone out there walk me through a description of Guerlain's Champs Elysees? Maybe compare it to something contemporary that I might have encountered? I've read the reviews, but can't get a good idea of what it might smell like in person. I realize it is a vintage scent - I have purchased a sample of L'Heure Bleue and really love it, although it seems to fade rather quickly. I don't have access to a sample of CE, but am wondering if someone can guide me or is willing to guess whether it will work for me. Right now, I'm lusting after a decant of Carnal Flower, but can't seem to make a connection. I'm also wearing and (kind of) liking a sample of Michael Kors Michael - another tuberose-y one, but kind of smells like so much other stuff out there. I've worn Design since about 1985 and have been on a quest for a new signature for about two years. I thought Mugler's Angel Violette was the answer - bought a big bottle and soon tired of it. I've also worn Perry Ellis 360, and the original Perry Ellis Woman during the last 20 years (geez, when did I get this old?)
    So - any advice?

Default Re: Champs Elysees

OMG!! This was one of my favs and for the life of me I can't seem to think of anything that it smells like. I probably would be the last person to ask because I'm still trying to learn a top note from a bottom note or what vetiver smells like.

I can tell you that it is a beautiful fragrance. It was so hard to find for awhile, but it seems to be popping up more and more, even in department stores. I'm sure one of the more experienced BN's will be in soon to give a wonderful description.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Sorry to disappoint you all, but the 1996 release of Champs Elysees has nothing to do with the earlier 1900's version. Let me see if I can copy and paste our discussion about this marvel earlier this year: seems like everybody has it in their collection and we were wearing it more this past spring.

Here you go: http://basenotespro.com/comm/showthr...ghlight=Teaser

The Champs Elysees that is available today reminds me of a bottle of champagne. It sparkles with a fruity undertone, but it also has a very heady floral top-- I believe the main note is Mimosa, which I adore. This one I love from a distance; it gives me a headache when I wear it. I would suggest testing it before purchasing for that reason, but it has a delightfully bubbly fragrance. I don't think it has very much at all to do with the likes of L'Heure Bleu. If you like L'Heure Bleu, however, might I suggest Mitsouko? It really is vintage, at least, Mitsouko's been reformulated at least once or twice, to be sure, but it is fairly true to the original.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Hey Kudzu (you must be a fellow South'rner!!!) from a Champs Elysees addict and tuberose lover - and Luca be damned.

The predominant note is mimosa - which is too sweet for lots of folks, but not me who had mimosa trees off the terazzo for many years and could swim in the fragrance. If you've ever encountered LaPs Mimosa Pour Moi, add a bit of honeyed fruits and maybe some lilies and you'll get the idea.

I agree with Kotori.... Sample first. And try Jardins de Bagatelles while you're at it!!

And keep us informed.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Yet another Champs Elysées fan chiming in!

It's just happy sunny pretty all in a bottle.

Yep, I'm one of y'all - or one of us - or however that goes. I'm so intrigued with the idea of a perfume smelling of mimosa. A dear friend's family had a large, old mimosa tree in their back yard and I have memories of evenings sitting in the swing or in the lawn chairs under the tree with the tree "weeping" on us (that's why some people hate mimosa trees) as night fell and the late spring day turned to a cooler evening, being just intoxicated with the scent of the blooms. Sadly, Hurricane Ivan took out that beautiful old tree about four years ago next month. A new one was planted soon after, but I doubt that we will enjoy its shade during our lifetime.
    It seems to me that there is a particular breed of Southern women (among whom I count myself) who have a fondness for things a little over-ripe - maybe overly sweet. There's something very "southern gothic" in the florals to which I am drawn. Cemetery lillies, anyone?
    Thanks for the guidance. I'll let you know when I sample CE. I'm always open for suggestions of scents to try. Unfortunately, I have only Belk's, Parisian (just purchased by Belk's - boo) and Dillard's with perfume counters, so my sampling possibilities are very limited unless I purchase samples or obtain them otherwise.

To me the Champs-Elysees that is available now is a bright, fresh floral with fruity overtones that matures to a very sweet floral that still retains its freshness. Like others have said this one does have a strong mimosa note. It also has a lot of buddleia (butterfly bush.) In my old garden I had 3 buddlelias and know the sweet, deep scent well- reminiscent of flowered honey. It's a pretty fragrance, not overly dramatic. Nice for spring and summer time or anytime you'd like to remember your summer garden.

I agree that it's nothing like L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko or any vintage, powdery or chypre-type scent. As far as something to compare it to, it's probably more in line with something like Amarige- not that is smells like Amarige, but it's in a similar family.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    The Champs Elysees that is available today reminds me of a bottle of champagne. It sparkles with a fruity undertone, but it also has a very heady floral top-- I believe the main note is Mimosa, which I adore. This one I love from a distance; it gives me a headache when I wear it. I would suggest testing it before purchasing for that reason, but it has a delightfully bubbly fragrance. I don't think it has very much at all to do with the likes of L'Heure Bleu. If you like L'Heure Bleu, however, might I suggest Mitsouko? It really is vintage, at least, Mitsouko's been reformulated at least once or twice, to be sure, but it is fairly true to the original.
    I would definitely concur with the Champagne theme on this one. Reminds me of champers too. Bubbly, frothy, fizzy, light, gloriously happy fragrance to wear. Sadly, doesn't last very long.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby