Code of Conduct

Default An actor's life for me

Hi there!

This may take a little while, so bear with me.

By way of background, i work in a boring office job during the day, but where I really get my kicks is acting, writing and directing in theatre and short films. A few months ago I was lucky enough to get a part in a stage version of "Pillow Talk", the old Rock Hudson / Doris Day 1959 film. I am playing Brad, the rold made famous by Rock Hudson.

For the past few months, at rehearsals, I have been "testing" a variety of fragrances from my wardrobe in terms of are they suitable for this character. (Brad is a New York playboy, who in the course of the story pretends to be a guy from Texas named Rex, in order to win the heart of the girl).

I live in Australia, so while my American accents aren't all that great (!) I thought it would be interesting to find a fragrance that suited Brad/Rex.

I recently purchased among other scents, a bottle of Ralph Lauren Chaps, specifically for that purpose. What could be more aptly named than "Chaps" for a guy who pretends to be a cowboy?

I personally didn't care all that much for the top notes and the initial hour or so of the drydown, particularly given the "macho" vibe it sells itself as. I thought it wasn't very "cowboy" at all.

But after another hour or so, I kept getting a little whiff, and was very impressed. I do get the "outdoors" feel that it has, despite its basic perfume-ness, but the longer the drydown goes, the better I like it. For a blind buy, not bad.

Anyway, I tried a little on just before rehearsal last night and one (older, female) fellow castmate commented that it smelled " ... nice but not overpowering or too sweet, provocative, a little naughty ... smooth ..."

As long as my other castmates don't have any negative reactions, given that we will all be working together in fairly close proximity during rehearsals and performances, I may have found a fragrance to add to my stage "wardrobe" for this show.

Rock would be proud.

Just wanted to share my story! Have a great day!

QE

Default Re: An actor's life for me

Great story. I guess it's especially fun to think of scent as a character creating element while so often we think of the character of scents being, office, weekend, club, romance, winter, summer, and all that to help our personal characters fit into day to day life. Very fun to think of it manufacturing a character.

Secretly, I don't think Chaps is bad at all. I get a very Creed vintage Tabarome feeling from it. The same dark, smooth, thick wall-to-wall manly carpeting feeling. Thumbs up on this choice!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Nice story! You could also have tried Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories...I think that even has a cowboy on the bottle. It's very smoky, though, like old campfires (least, so I've heard..I've not tried myself).

Anyway, good luck with the play - I'm sure you'll rock.

I am not sure it will be suitable or not but, but when I have read your post,
    I immediately thought about YATAGAN.
    Nothing more outdoorsy and cowboy than Yatagan for me.

be sure and get us scratch and sniff photos! we can look at them and sniff from our bottles, I mean.
    Last edited by supermarky; 26th August 2007 at 11:59 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Secretly, I don't think Chaps is bad at all. I get a very Creed vintage Tabarome feeling from it. The same dark, smooth, thick wall-to-wall manly carpeting feeling. Thumbs up on this choice!
    --Chris
    LOL

Love your description. I'm going to use that line, 'wall-to-wall manly carpeting feeling'!