Code of Conduct

Default Will emails return?

emails used to be sent after participating in a thread. Is that coming back or is it back and my system is wonky?

Default Re: Will emails return?

Your system ISN'T wonky fredricktoo... I'm still not getting emails about new posts in any thread I've posted in.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

thanks Sudsy. I look forward to their return.

am I the only one who cares whether we ever have email alert us of activity in threads of interest?

Without the email alerts of the past which were voluntary and could be switched on or off the whole board experience is diminished by about 90%.

I now participate 10% of my former menbership hours and am thinking of dropping out of the community. And I havent seen or heard a word about this except for the above post from sudsy.

Monitors?

Administrators?

this wasn't waiting 2 months for and being charged 100%
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 9th September 2007 at 05:52 AM.

Puzzled. I still get the emails every morning (Europe) of the threads I have been posting in. It has never been a problem.

Most remarkable. Anybody else out there stranded without emails?
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Thank you Rhiannon

Without your post I would never have known anyone was getting email responses to my their posts. I havent gottn one since the crash and before the crash they had become sporadic.

Gary

I am still not receiving any emails about new posts on any of the threads I have subscribed to either.

Do you think there is some option we have not ticked somewhere in our USER CP, fredricktoo?
    I can't find it if there is such an option.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

You're welcome, Fred

For both you and Sudsy: Go to your Control Panel.
    Choose: Settings & Options
    Choose: Edit Options
    Choose: Messaging & Notification
    Choose: Default Thread Subscription Mode. It is a drop down menu. Mine is on "Daily email notification".

I hope this is of any help. Good luck!
    Last edited by Riannon; 9th September 2007 at 01:01 PM.

changed mine in options now I notice it hasnt changed for this post so i changed that also.

Hope this works

Thank you Riannon

you've always treated me so well

are you single?

I changed my settings in the manner Riannon suggested but there are still no emails today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
    I changed my settings in the manner Riannon suggested but there are still no emails today.
    Do you usually get the mails in 'your' morning? Because Australia is way ahead of Europe in time.

Ehrm....did you click on 'Save changes' at the bottom of the page?
    That is one of those things I frequently forget to do myself, so.....

If not, there is trouble this computer illiterate woman can't solve

On User CP (main page) you can check your new and old Subscribed Threads.

I'll wait for another day to see what happens Riannon, but what I really want is INSTANT email notification & not just once a day.
    I usually have my computer on most of the day if I'm not working.

Thanks for your help

I just changed my option into 'instant email notification'. Let's see what happens now.
    I will keep you informed

Update: although I changed to 'instant email options' the threads in User CP are still on 'daily'. I received no instant emails.
    The only thing I can think of right now is the 'Default Thread Age Cut Off' option (on the same page where you can change your options). Drop down menu again. I have it on 'Show all threads'.
    Last edited by Riannon; 10th September 2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Updating

Hmmmm ... another glitch that will have to be sorted out by Grant I'm thinking.

I'll go into my CP and poke around again.

Let me know if anything changes for you Riannon.

I've also requested email notification when I receive a PM, but this isn't happening either.

no emails here either. POL sends me dozens of emails a day, often from ancient threads I posted to.

I think it's gonna get fixed by Grants but right now there is a haze of baby powder for him to get through to see the screen.

I left him an email last week. I'm going back to tweak my settings. Sounds like fun.

Moderator???
    --------------------------------------
    set email to daily and got nothing, Trying weekly.

Last edited by fredricktoo; 13th September 2007 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If I can't receive emails I might as well turn off support in paypal.

Hey gang, I'm really sorry no one has gotten back to you about this. I don't know what the problem is but I'm going to look into it and see what I can figure out. I'm probably too ignorant to solve it, but I'll have a look. I'll post more as soon as I know more or have tried some things.

I'm really sorry about the problem and the amount of time it has continued.
    --Chris
    --------------------------------------
    OK all, I went in to have a look at everyone's options. Sudsy, I noticed you were set to receive email notifications daily so I clicked you into receiving instant email notifications, as you stated you wanted above. Everything else looked like normal and like it should, I think. Fredricktoo, you're right, you're all set up to receive instant email notifications as is. Everything looks like you should be getting them and I'm not sure why you aren't. For good measure I clicked the switch on and off a few times to see if I could get it to connect properly for you. Sort of felt like hitting the TV set I guess. Hope it gives a better picture.

Also, I haven't used this feature of the site before but this morning, noticing this thread finally, I did set it up to see if I could get duplicate the problem and thus have a better clue on how to solve it.

After figuring out email, the drop down menu, and saving changes a couple of times, I started getting my instant email notifications. So I can't duplicate the problem. Seems to be working right for me.

One of the instant notification messages said I'd get more of the messages when I logged back into the site. I wonder if that's a weird catch on this device--it only sends messages when you're logged in, it seems. I don't know how accurate that is and I don't know if that's a change from how things were on the previous server. I also bet you all are a lot more familiar with this than I am. Maybe this being logged in issue means nothing. Sorry.

Other than this, and telling you guys to go in one more time and just click everything on and off a few times inside the profile, saving changes each time, I'm afraid I'm very useless. We'll need to wait for Grant if the problem persists. Very sorry again.

I have a special thanks to Riannon for her help on this thread. Thank you very much, Riannon.
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 20th September 2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I want to thank Chris for all his help in PM's and am here to report that I'm getting some email. I changed my email from my ISP to my .Mac account and never received a verification email. hmmm I said. Now not only am I not getting the emails, I'm also no longer a supporter and have never verified the changes and now I get some really cool advertising. But I digress. As I reported to Chris, I changed to my yahoo.com email address and in a nanosecond the verification was in my inbox.

Here's the kicker. I got it working by using a web based email. I wonder if there are any switches that havent been deployed for ISP emails. I know they work because I always (almost always) add my SOTD to POL and am flooded with email on my ISP. I can't see what bulletin board software they're running but...

Thanks Chris and Rhiannon

I really appreciate the help

Lets all have a drink. I'm buying.

Gary

Ummmm I have no idea what you just said Gary but I still never get an email for any threads I post on nor do I get emails when I have a PM waiting for me.
    I'll have that drink, but just to drown my sorrows!

do you have an email account such as yahoo, google mail, a half a dozen others Sudsy? How do you connect to the net?
    Try registering with a web based mail system which you can access anywhere. Then change the email to that address.

you can get an email account for yourself Sudsy at yahoo, google and hotmail. Those are three that come to mind. Anyone else think of any others that are trouble free?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 22nd September 2007 at 10:07 AM.

TEST ..... I think I have totally messed up my BASENOTES account.

I tried changing my email addy but I think my ISP email was linked to my BN account and now I've lost my PINK. So now my PM box is totally full, & I still have no email notifications coming into either of my email accounts.

Chris or Grant or somebody .... Please please help!!

Based on what i've read above, I'm *guessing* the problem is being caused by over-agressive spamblocking measures.

Since it seems everyone is reporting that this problem began after the server move in June/July, my best guess is that the new BN mail server is on a shared system which has been identified as a source of spam by some email providers/ISPs, thus mail from BN is being blocked. You can try to contact your ISP or email provider regarding this matter, but your mileage may vary.

If this is the case, be careful to not change your email address as the forum will send a confirmation email to your previous address asking for authorization to change.

But, again, this is all speculation.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 27th September 2007 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks very much, Docman. Good to have someone smarter than I am about this. I'm sure we all appreciate the help.
    Best regards,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.