Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Tom Ford for Men - info about the scent, NOT the man, ads, etc...

I've contributed to a lot of, what I'll call, Tom-Ford-mania here on Basenotes. It can be viciously fun at times, however it's boring to read another thread here on BN about Tom Ford's persona, shocking ad campaign (past and present), other scents that he did when he was with Gucci/YSL, how sexy he is, how repulsive he is, blah blah blah...If you would like to contribute to the endless string of comments on all of the above, please feel free to post on those threads I've linked below:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198239
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=197795

However, on this thread, I would like to discuss the fragrance that it set to be released in September.

Here is what, I know:

From the net (mostly courtesy of Womens Wear Daily and the perfume blog, The Scented Salamander):

- On September 23rd of 2007, Tom Ford for Men will debut at Saks
    - A key ingredient, cypriol, has been added to the mix so as to render it sexy and as a substitute for natural musk
    - The juice, created by Ford in cooperation with International Flavors & Fragrances, opens with Mediterranean hesperdic notes combined with lemon leaf oil, Italian bergamot, mandarin zest, basilic grand vert, violet leaves and ginger. The heart is of Tunisian orange flower absolute, black pepper, tobacco leaf absolute and Moroccan grapefruit flower. The drydown is of deep amber accord, cedarwood heart, Virginia patchouli, vetiver mist, oakmoss, leatherwood and the aforementioned cypriol
    - The ridged clear glass bottle is reminiscent of Ford's Black Orchid women's scent and features an engraved name plaque embellished with 18-karat gold plating. Outer packaging is black with gold accents and a gold label.
    - The scent will be available in two sizes, $55 for 50 ml. and $78 for 100 ml

From a SA at Neimans, this past Saturday:

- The scent is very fresh smelling...it is not 'dark' or very strong (sillage) like Black Orchid is
    - The notes he picked out are violet and leather - for sure. He was actually wearing TFfM. My eyes brightened when I heard this! But, no Neiman's didn't have testers, instead all of the Neiman's SA's had gone to a Tom Ford for Men training and been gifted small samples of TFfM. He let me smell his wrist, to smell the drydown. I got no leather at all, but instead something akin to Black Orchid, with a slight effervescence. Perhaps this is the 'vetiver mist' or the cypriol?!
    - He said that the Extreme Version will be released at the same time as the regular version. This is contrary to what WWD said in their press release, so I'm confused. He said he also sampled the Extreme version and loved them both (well, what would you expect the SA to say, no?). He said the regular fragrance is perfect for daytime and the Extreme is more suited to night. He didn't have prices on the Extreme.
    - The SA at Neimans could NOT confirm the September 23rd release date - but then again, TFfM is debuting at Saks, not Neimans.
    - Another SA (a younger woman) said she loved it, and she admitted to disliking Black Orchid.

So, this is what I know. What do you know (that's 'drama free', please?)

Default Re: Tom Ford for Men - info about the scent, NOT the man, ads, etc...

Mike,

Thank you for the insider SA review and comments. All I know is that I am I highly intrigued by this upcoming release and looking forward to testing it.

Sounds like another discreet men's fragrance. Thank you for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The scent will be available in two sizes, $55 for 50 ml. and $78 for 100 ml
    The best part about the fragrance..
    -

I still remember someone praying Santa about the first TF men's juice not to smell too crotch-like after smelling Black Orchid.... I guess Santa indeed hear the prayers after reading your Post Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    The best part about the fragrance..
    And at the same time the most odd. "An engraved name plaque embellished with 18-karat gold plating" together with his high-end approach these days make you wonder why the prices are so low.

Thanks for the scoop, Mike!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Thanks for the update...that sounds very good to me (opens with Mediterranean hesperdic notes combined with lemon leaf oil, Italian bergamot, mandarin zest, basilic grand vert, violet leaves and ginger)...i can´t wait to smell that fragrance.

i cannot believe that tom ford for men is created for daytime use when i see the sexy advertising and ingredients like Cypriol. For what is then the intense version :--)
    Last edited by sanatik; 28th August 2007 at 01:54 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Basenotes Institution

Perhaps Mr. Ford made the pricing more attractive, so that he could really get his name (and the scent) out there to make a strong statement - to the mens fragrance market?

Let's face it, this is the first scent for men with HIS NAME in the title. I'm sure it won't be the last.

I think he wants to hit it out of the ballpark with this one and you really can't do that with a high end price tag, since that would narrow your market base. I think he's looking for TFfM to be the next Terre D'Hermes (or Unforgiveable...) which won awards AND success for the fragrance houses behind them.

Hopefully if the juice is as wonderful as everyone I've talked to says it is, this most likely will happen.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: Does anyone know someone who works for Saks Fifth Avenue - who could confirm the 9/23/07 release date and possibly offer more tidbits of info on the scent? I don't...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th August 2007 at 02:50 PM.

I'm really looking forward to this, and suspect I'm not the only woman here who is!

thanks mike for the news, can't wait for a sniff

The scent is very fresh smelling...it is not 'dark'.
    *crying*

Another SA (a younger woman) said she loved it, and she admitted to disliking Black Orchid.
    Judging by the notes (leaning more on fresh woodsy), as well as knowing most SA's don't have great taste, I'm feeling a bit worried now.
    Last edited by Niemand; 29th August 2007 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niemand View Post
    *crying*
    Judging by the notes (leaning more on fresh woodsy), as well as knowing most SA's don't have great taste, I'm feeling a bit worried now.
    I soooo hope Tom Ford will do a good job, judging by Estee Lauders latest junk (Sean John, DKNY, etc.,etc.) they spit out.

We will see.

Another Update:
    Next in mid-November comes Tom Ford for Men Extreme which will be available in the selective distribution circuit of the Tom Ford boutiques and is presented as the niche version of Tom Ford for Men. This means, as we had noted previously and as confirmed by Tom Ford himself now that it will be a more powerful version of the more mass-marketed one. Here's our own quote regarding the feel of his niche offerings: "The fragrances make big statements; the collection could have been called "Intense" or "Extreme Ford" and it is in this respect that it is the most remarkable since otherwise many of the fragrances can be traced back to other existing fragrances."

I hear that September 23 is the launch date for Tom Ford for Men at Saks in Manhattan. An in-store appearance by Tom Ford is expected.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
    I hear that September 23 is the launch date for Tom Ford for Men at Saks in Manhattan. An in-store appearance by Tom Ford is expected.
    Great. Any New York Basenoters gonna attend? Basenotes represent!

Does anyone know if Holt Renfrew will carry Tom Ford in Canada?

FYI - SAKS got Tom Ford for men in today...

Basenotes Institution

Which Saks? What City? Samples/testers? Or in for sale? The regular and the extreme?

Questions, questions, questions...

saks in san francisco, the regular, both sizes,,very fresh cmelling very citrusy at first then spices come through good sillage, 2 hours into wearing a muskiness comes through..on display and on sale

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by agml65 View Post
    saks in san francisco, the regular, both sizes,,very fresh cmelling very citrusy at first then spices come through good sillage, 2 hours into wearing a muskiness comes through..on display and on sale
    Did you buy it?

I'm ultra jealous right now...

Canada's Holt Renfrew will be carrying the new Tom Ford for men.

I am a magazine junkie and I just smelled this in one of those fold-outs in either Details or Men's Journal and hey this (from what little I got off the strip..lol) smells good on my wrist..hmmmm. Love the spiciness. It looks like I will have to order this as I cannot wait until my next travels..HA...

Well have a great Weekend everybody.

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 8th September 2007 at 04:04 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks c-men (love your basenotes 'name'...hee hee) - but the price of Tom Ford for Men on the Saks website is slightly higher than I mentioned at the beginning of this thread - which I believe I got from the official press release. It was supposed to be $55 for 50ml and $75 for 100ml. Not $85.

WTF?

I just got back from Saks and it was $85 for the 3.4 and $60 for the 1.7. The scent is nice, elegant. I'm no reviewer at all, but it starts off spicy/citrusy and later on it is a bit sweeter/woodsy. For some reason at this point, a tangier, spicier Vera Wang comes to mind. I know, I'm no help! I await other, more experienced noses to give it a proper review.

Last edited by scentimus; 8th September 2007 at 08:39 PM.

Basenotes Institution

OK, I just got back from Saks Fifth Avenue (Ft. Lauderdale). Here's the dirt:

1. This particular Saks only had the regular Tom Ford for Men (not the Extreme). I was instantly mad (I knew I should have gone to the Bal Harbour Saks!) but I got over it, when the SA pulled out the tester bottle.
    2. Can I just say, the bottle is gorgeous. It's the same shape and ribbed glass as the Black Orchid bottle, but clear. The juice is amber gold, accented by the gold chrome plated nameplate and bottle top. Just beautiful, glitzy and well...luxurious. Tom Ford does good bottle. I kept swishing the bottle around in my hand. The color of the juice and the glass gave me the impression I was holding a palm-sized single-malt scotch bottle. Perhaps anatomically, I wanted to drink it, I couldn't seem to put it back down on the counter? Which reminds me, does anybody else feel the same way about the Gucci Pour Homme bottle, it always reminds me of a highball glass? Anyway, moving on...
    3. The initial top notes are fresh lemony (NOT aquatic fresh - citrus fresh...think Eau Savage-ish) - maybe that's the lemon oil. Nice. The alcohol(ic) top notes fade quickly (which I was ok with) and flatten out a little to a more subtle and warm lemon tea note. A very strong, very lemon-y tea note. This totally threw me - honestly, I didn't expect TFFM to smell like tea.
    4. Midnotes and drydown - hmm...NOT WHAT I EXPECTED: Light amber. Absolutely no tobacco (although the note says 'tobacco leaf' not 'tobacco'...). A bit of bergamot, but light bergamot (mind you, bergamot is not one of my favorite notes). I also smelled something I couldn't detect in the drydown - perhaps this is the cypriol mentioned in the press release. Musky? No, I wouldn't call it musky, I'd call it herbal musk (if that makes sense...the smell of herbs perspiring!?) Honestly, I like the drydown of Narciso Rodriguez for Men, much better. Now that's a 'sexy' musk. TFFM's musk? Well...I hate to use the 's' word, but to my nose it is very synthetic musk.
    5. It faded pretty fast on my skin. In about an hour, it was only smelling if I sniff close to my wrist. Perhaps this might be due to the 90 degree humid weather.
    6. I didn't buy it. The SA gave me a carded sample to take home, to give it a full wearing. Which I was grateful for, because if I had to base my decision on purchasing TFFM on my first smell, I would not buy it.
    7. Maybe I will like the Extreme? If I don't, I will be extremely disappointed.
    8. The prices at Saks were exactly as Hyde65 listed above. I guess they decided to raise the prices slightly, at the last minute? I'm not sure what to make of that, except I probably wouldn't even be mentioning it, if I lovedlovedloved the scent. Which, at this point, I don't.
    9. Maybe I'll do a 180 degree turnaround, next time I smell it? One can hope.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th September 2007 at 10:40 PM.

I need to report that I just smelled this scent at Saks in Boston earlier tonight and I was on target with the Estee Lauder thoughts.

The scent is a let down to me - the Lauder quality of being watered down and not long lasting at all - I can hardly smell it on my hand now.

Like a said before Lauder can make some awsome long lasting women's scent but they choose to go light on their men's.

I am now interested in Tom's privite collection of scent Tobacco Vanilla.
    Last edited by scentimus; 9th September 2007 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I am now interested in Tom's privite collection of scent Tobacco Vanilla.
    I am too. Anyone know where I can get a decant besides the Perfume court? Also, why is Saks getting all the exclusives these days?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I bought Tobacco Vanille this week. I am pleased with it. Aromatic Pipe tobacco for a very long time. I could smell it on my wrist 24 hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I bought Tobacco Vanille this week. I am pleased with it. Aromatic Pipe tobacco for a very long time. I could smell it on my wrist 24 hours later.
    Tobacco Vanille is amazing! I was with a Russian client today and she filled the room with the most amazing vanilla scent. I asked her what it was, and of course, it was TF's TV. I have a sample and need to try it out as soon as the weather calms down. The smell in the room was glorious!

It dawned on me that I know this scent from another time..The drydown is identical to Escada Pour Homme..

That is too funny....the bottle resembles Escada Homme also don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Great! You're going to put me in debit! - I am just drooling here by your discription...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by agml65 View Post
    It dawned on me that I know this scent from another time..The drydown is identical to Escada Pour Homme..
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I've never smelled EPH.

Escada Homme is my SOTD. I love it really. It can be had cheap at Marshalls, TJMaxx, or Perfumania. It smells classic and smooth with a boozy cognac note at the top. I think it is certainly not a 'bad thing' if Tom Ford for Men smells similar in the drydown although I am sure that it may be a bit boring to some as well. The rap on Escada Homme for some is that it is nice but not exciting/edgy at any point. It kind of goes along with your insight on Tom Ford for Men to this point.

OK, I just got back from Saks Fifth Avenue (Ft. Lauderdale). Here's the dirt:

1. This particular Saks only had the regular Tom Ford for Men (not the Extreme). I was instantly mad (I knew I should have gone to the Bal Harbour Saks!) but I got over it, when the SA pulled out the tester bottle.
    2. Can I just say, the bottle is gorgeous. It's the same shape and ribbed glass as the Black Orchid bottle, but clear. The juice is amber gold, accented by the gold chrome plated nameplate and bottle top. Just beautiful, glitzy and well...luxurious. Tom Ford does good bottle. I kept swishing the bottle around in my hand. The color of the juice and the glass gave me the impression I was holding a palm-sized single-malt scotch bottle. Perhaps anatomically, I wanted to drink it, I couldn't seem to put it back down on the counter? Which reminds me, does anybody else feel the same way about the Gucci Pour Homme bottle, it always reminds me of a highball glass? Anyway, moving on...
    3. The initial top notes are fresh lemony (NOT aquatic fresh - citrus fresh...think Eau Savage-ish) - maybe that's the lemon oil. Nice. The alcohol(ic) top notes fade quickly (which I was ok with) and flatten out a little to a more subtle and warm lemon tea note. A very strong, very lemon-y tea note. This totally threw me - honestly, I didn't expect TFFM to smell like tea.
    4. Midnotes and drydown - hmm...NOT WHAT I EXPECTED: Light amber. Absolutely no tobacco (although the note says 'tobacco leaf' not 'tobacco'...). A bit of bergamot, but light bergamot (mind you, bergamot is not one of my favorite notes). I also smelled something I couldn't detect in the drydown - perhaps this is the cypriol mentioned in the press release. Musky? No, I wouldn't call it musky, I'd call it herbal musk (if that makes sense...the smell of herbs perspiring!?) Honestly, I like the drydown of Narciso Rodriguez for Men, much better. Now that's a 'sexy' musk. TFFM's musk? Well...I hate to use the 's' word, but to my nose it is very synthetic musk.
    5. It faded pretty fast on my skin. In about an hour, it was only smelling if I sniff close to my wrist. Perhaps this might be due to the 90 degree humid weather.
    6. I didn't buy it. The SA gave me a carded sample to take home, to give it a full wearing. Which I was grateful for, because if I had to base my decision on purchasing TFFM on my first smell, I would not buy it.
    7. Maybe I will like the Extreme? If I don't, I will be extremely disappointed.
    8. The prices at Saks were exactly as Hyde65 listed above. I guess they decided to raise the prices slightly, at the last minute? I'm not sure what to make of that, except I probably wouldn't even be mentioning it, if I lovedlovedloved the scent. Which, at this point, I don't.
    9. Maybe I'll do a 180 degree turnaround, next time I smell it? One can hope.
    Mike,
    Just was curious if your impressions of TFFM had changed at all? I'm thinking about ordering this one blind, as my Saks here in Portland is telling me they won't have it in stock until early October. The overall feedback on TFFM so far seems to be not very positive however, so I'm admittedly a bit nervous about purchasing it without sampling first. Based on the ad campaign, as well as the notes, I was honestly expecting a potent powerhouse, but it sounds like that's unfortunately not the case. Looking forward to hearing more impressions!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bloom View Post
    Mike,
    Just was curious if your impressions of TFFM had changed at all? I'm thinking about ordering this one blind, as my Saks here in Portland is telling me they won't have it in stock until early October. The overall feedback on TFFM so far seems to be not very positive however, so I'm admittedly a bit nervous about purchasing it without sampling first. Based on the ad campaign, as well as the notes, I was honestly expecting a potent powerhouse, but it sounds like that's unfortunately not the case. Looking forward to hearing more impressions!!
    Bloom - if I were you I would not buy this blind. Please try this (Saks was very generous with samples) before you buy.

I wore it again Saturday night and last night (to a dinner party). Another Basenoter PM'd me a similar question as yours, so I will paste my reply to him, here. The question was, did I change my mind about Tom Ford for Men, and my reponse was:

I wish I could say yes - but honestly, no? I gave it an extremely full wearing today (7-8 sprays from those little card sample spray bottles) and let it do its thing...and it only confirmed what I experienced last night. Really light and fleeting, lemon, tea, perhaps the musk base was slightly stronger (due to the over application).

Please try this. As you know, I have a pretty edgy scent barometer. Many scents that many men on BN wear and love (Himalaya, GIT, M7, probably the entire Hugo Boss, Burberry and Polo lines), I really don't like at all.

TFFM is a nice scent. It's not repulsive - on the contrary, I imagine there will be many men who find it perfectly wonderful. I, however, find it extremely mainstream and...boring, I guess. This is TOM FORD we're talking about. But, as you might remember in my review of all 12 of the Private Blends, I don't find love in all of his scents. Honestly I had such high expectations of this scent, mainly because he has HIS NAME on the freakin bottle, I thought it would be a keeper. In addition, I loved his last Estee Lauder scent (Azuree Soleil) and of course I love many of his Private Blends (Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Velvet Gardenia...) and many others (Black Orchid, Rive Gauche PH, Rush, GucciPH, Youth Dew Amber Nude...).

So - I am waiting to try the Tom Ford Extreme for Men, before I ultimately make my decision.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Bloom - if I were you I would not buy this blind. Please try this (Saks was very generous with samples) before you buy.

Hope that helps.

Mike[/B]
    Well, I had a chance to sample Tom Ford For Men today, and I must say…what a disappointment. Seriously. Even after reading the negative comments about TFFM, I still held out a small glimmer of hope that it would somehow surprise me and be the powerhouse that it was advertised to be.

Unfortunately, that is not the case, as to my nose, TFFM is nothing more than a bland, over-hyped fragrance that is destined to become another in a long line of mass produced “non-fragrances”. For all the powerful descriptive nuances accompanying the overtly sexual advertising campaign for TFFM, there just isn’t any significant detectable olfactory element that makes it special. The top notes are citrusy and last a very short while. The mid notes….what mid notes? There doesn’t seem to be any. The base notes are unquestionably the star of the pyramid, exuding a warm woody aroma, with just a small hint of leather or amber (it’s hard to tell because the projection is so faint). I’ve been wearing TFFM on the back of my hand for less than an hour, and it’s already almost undetectable; perhaps it’s just my skin chemistry, but I’m really struggling to get much of anything from this fragrance. Not at all what I expected.

I’m afraid this is just another case of style over substance, and perhaps the biggest disappointment of 2007 for me. The emperor truly has no clothes. Your mileage may vary, but I wanted to offer many thanks to Mike for warning me not to purchase this one blind.
    Last edited by Bloom; 11th September 2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I also had Very high hopes for Gucci Pour Homme ll. Huge letdown. I have used over half of the 3.4 0z and it just fades to zero. Total waste of money. I was banking on TFFM but now?
    Shit!!!
    Last edited by Michael Picasso; 12th September 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Seeing as noone has posted a very positive review of TFFM yet, has anyone out there smelled the Extreme version?

I am over 3 hours in to my full wearing of Tom Ford for Men and cannot even review this fragrance. There is nothing to review really. This scent has no character or personality on my skin. At first I got a light version of L'Instant Pour Homme and then just a small glow of musk and amber. I can get that same glow with all the other scents sitting on the shelves at Macys that people on here rail against everyday.

I am not sure what this fragrance is all about. Maybe it is above my understanding or too special for a 'novice nose' like mine to see the elusive beauty it may hold, but the drydown of Polo Explorer is much more interesting and holds more longevity. This is the most let down I have been about a release since I joined basenotes.

I hope others find something I cannot see in Tom Ford for Men, but I am already tired of looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso View Post
    I also had Very high hopes for Gucci Pour Homme ll. Huge letdown. I have used over half of the 3.4 0z and it just fades to zero. Total waste of money. I was banking on TFFM but now?
    Shit!!!
    You're probably aware of this, but Ford wasn't in charge of Gucci Pour Homme II, just Pour Homme.

On-topic: too bad it's getting so many neutral or negative reviews so far. I too was hoping it was worth a decant, at least.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Gee, all these negative reviews are encouraging! It seems that I often like whatever gets panned around here. Maybe that means I have no taste...
    Last edited by BlueDevilSF; 14th September 2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Seeing as noone has posted a very positive review of TFFM yet, has anyone out there smelled the Extreme version?
    There is hope?

Just tried TFfM. IMHO it's an almost generic riff on Millésime Impérial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Just tried TFfM. IMHO it's an almost generic riff on Millésime Impérial.
    generic creed-like was the very first thing that popped into my head when i first smelled it!

the Extreme smelled completely different to me. reminded my of Oud Wood from the Private Blends Collection.

MI? really? I didn't get that at all.

..edit.. I was intrigued that MI was gotten from this so I gave it another go.. I could see where you'd get some similar notes in the citrusy beginning.

I actually like it much less this time.. I'm finding the dry down to be a bit like Bond No 9 DNA for men, with a touch of Rochas Man.

Who knows.. prolly won't end up getting it.

And my Saks didn't have extreme yet
    Last edited by jrd4t; 14th September 2007 at 10:23 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I'm wearing it today and I'm going to have to give it more time, but I can see what Barry is saying. I like it, overall, but I agree with him that I'm having a tough time figuring out what it's all about.

Black orchid had me, literally, at first sniff and I'll admit I was hoping for that with TFfM. It hasn't happened yet.

I still have hope yet, but I also want to try Extreme.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
    I'm wearing it today and I'm going to have to give it more time, but I can see what Barry is saying. I like it, overall, but I agree with him that I'm having a tough time figuring out what it's all about.

Black orchid had me, literally, at first sniff and I'll admit I was hoping for that with TFfM. It hasn't happened yet.

I still have hope yet, but I also want to try Extreme.
    Here's the thing John - I did the same exact thing. I was so excited when I finally got to Saks to first smell it, I was literally trembling inside...(normal people don't get this excited about new fragrance - yet another reason why I know I belong on Basenotes). When my boyfriend and I tried it we looked at each other with this face that said, 'Wha...!?'. I gave it about 10 minutes to develop on my skin while we chatted up the extremely funny and helpful SA and still...I couldn't figure out WHAT it was saying to me. It wasn't saying ANYTHING to me.

I had this thought when I left the store, that I couldn't shake. If the fragrance I had just smelled was instead the latest D&G (or Calvin Klein, Armani, blah blah blah) release I would have sniffed it and immediately dismissed it as not acceptable. The sheer fact that I was sitting around, patiently, and waiting for TFFM to become 'good' was a little ridiculous. Yes, just like you, when I smelled Black Orchid I knew instantly that it was something special. Primarily because there is nothing in the perfume world that smells like it. As for TFFM, well that's just not the case.

However - as I have posted on my other thread, I instantly liked the Extreme version. It is not just a stronger TFFM. It is entirely different. If you like Black Orchid (or Oud Wood by Tom Ford...or any heavy musk/oud/wood scent) then I think you will adore TFFM Extreme.

^Thanks Mike; I feel a little better now because I had the same impression and did nearly the same thing as you. I don't live near Saks, so had to order my bottle online without sampling. I paced around until the FedEx man came and immediately spritzed myself. Like you, I just kept waiting for SOMETHING to happen... it's been hours and nothing's going yet. It's just... there... not BAD, by any means (definitely not Acqua di Gio), but not what I expected. I agree with you that my longtime support of Tom's work is the only thing keeping me from being really disappointed; put "Givenchy" or "D&G" on it and, like you, I probably wouldn't even be giving it this many chances. Nevertheless, I'll give it more time, but I feel like I know my "nose" pretty well by now and don't foresee me doing a 180 degree turn.

I'll definitely be giving Extreme a try. But, depending on what happens over the next few wearings of TFfM, stay tuned to my swap list...

Saddened,
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 19th September 2007 at 08:36 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
    So, did any of you New Yorker's go to Saks to see the man himself?

Here's the thing John - I did the same exact thing. I was so excited when I finally got to Saks to first smell it, I was literally trembling inside...(normal people don't get this excited about new fragrance - yet another reason why I know I belong on Basenotes). When my boyfriend and I tried it we looked at each other with this face that said, 'Wha...!?'. I gave it about 10 minutes to develop on my skin while we chatted up the extremely funny and helpful SA and still...I couldn't figure out WHAT it was saying to me. It wasn't saying ANYTHING to me.
    Well, at least we now know why the price is cheaper than originally expected.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Well, at least we now know why the price is cheaper than originally expected.
    Well actually Trebor, not really. In my original post I wrote:

- The scent will be available in two sizes, $55 for 50 ml. and $78 for 100 ml
    The prices, at Saks, are $60 for 50 ml and $85 for 100ml. So, the prices are more expensive than I originally expected.

BTW - the Extreme version, which I most definitely WILL be buying in November, is listed on the Tom Ford website as $125 for the 50ml.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th September 2007 at 01:09 AM.

I agree that the scent is not groundbreaking....but I think it is a nice and pleasant scent...I can't wait to try out the extreme version as well.

Like most reviews here...I did not think anything special on this one. Main attributes are that is light, fun and very discreet.

I got a sample for my partner and later at night I smelled this sweet vanilla musk on his skin..almost Guerlinade, with a hint of spiciness. I was so amazed at the transformation of this fragrance in the drydown. Very sexy!!! Going to Saks today to get him a bottle

The market here is for the very quiet, yet light, fun and sexy. It tricks you at first into this fruity, citrus bland opening.....but then it seduces you into this sweet lustiness. Nice!!!

I could smell TFFM on my Pullover 4 days after wearing it. Smelled awesome. This one will fool you . I am beginning to really enjoy it alot.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 5th November 2007 at 03:40 PM.

FYI, for some reason it's cheaper at Neiman Marcus ($5 less I think)
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I wore TFFM all last week and it really grew on me. I really enjoyed its subtilty throughout the day. And it does last throughout the day. I initially thought it faded quickly but it really does last. The musky drydown is rather enjoyable. But it is the frag's restraint that wins my approval. It is finely tailored; a discreet accessory that compliments the wearer and adds that "finishing touch". I am still not a fan of the price point because of the cachet the man's name on the bottle is supposed to bring nor do I think I will buy another bottle when mine is gone, but I'll enjoy it while I got it.