Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Black Orchid Voile de Fleur

I got a carded sample of this at Neimans on Saturday - it had just come in, they were literally tearing the box open when I walked up.

After my long conversation with the SA's about Tom Ford for Men, they gifted me a sample of the new Black Orchid Voile de Fleur. Supposedly, a lighter, easier-to-wear version of Black Orchid - for all of those who found Black Orchid a little too much.

I dabbed a little on - it's extremely feminine. The initial orange blossom top note fades to a gardenia note reminiscent of Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder (which didn't surprise me, since EL does Tom Ford scents). Dries down to that musky earthy Black Orchid scent, with the decomposition and rotting fruit notes taken out. Sillage is still really high on BOVdF, but not nearly as knock-em-dead as Black Orchid.

So, if you want a fragrance that's the imaginary love child of Erin Lauder and Tom Ford, this is your scent.

Me - I'm sticking with the original.

Default Re: Black Orchid Voile de Fleur

I must go and try this out. I haven't been to Neimans in weeks. This will give me a reason to go, as if I really needed one lol. I love Black Orchid. Thanks Mike.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

sticking with the original here as well
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Oo! Thanks for the heads-up, I will definitely be keeping a lookout for it!

Wearing it today and, in my opinion, application is the key to a guy pulling this off (if this kind of experimentation, with this kind of scent, is of interest to him).

This is only the first time I'm wearing it, but I don't think its much more feminine than JPG Fleur du Male or Gaultier 2. However, I think the fruit aspect and gardenia does push it in that direction. WIth a light hand, on me, this comes across as a soapy body lotion type fragrance with a base of light wood that I really like. I'm a total fan of the original and I think this is a very good variation, albeit, not as striking as the original.

I am a bit shocked that this an EDT. If all EDT's were this tenacious, no one would ever complain about scent longevity!

Regards,
    Steve

I'll be trying it, but I probably won't buy it. I love love love Black Orchid, and I don't think losing that wonderful indolic fruit would be an improvement.

A friend I have lunch with about once a month *hates* said indolic fruit, though, and I've had to promise not to wear it near her. I may get Voile de Fleur for her for Christmas...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    I am a bit shocked that this an EDT. If all EDT's were this tenacious, no one would ever complain about scent longevity!
    Tom Ford doesn't f*%k around when he does an EDT.

The same goes for his Private Blends. They wear like Eau de Parfums or extraits. Which is always nice when you're dropping serious $ like he charges.

The only fly in the ointment is Tom Ford for Men. A surprisingly light EdT. That's why I'm waiting for Tom Ford for Men Extreme.

thanks for the heads-up Mike.

Orange blossom.... hmmm... *captured my interest now*.... now I have to try it.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

what about the tom ford gardenia? I smelled it on a card at neiman M but never got to see the bottle... They told me about it upstairs in the men's dept, downstairs one SA got a card with it while I was chatting with another about the Diptyque (which they should carry in the men's dept but don't).

I thought it was the voile de fleur, but if you don't smell bigtime gardenia in it, it must not be

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    what about the tom ford gardenia? I smelled it on a card at neiman M but never got to see the bottle... They told me about it upstairs in the men's dept, downstairs one SA got a card with it while I was chatting with another about the Diptyque (which they should carry in the men's dept but don't).

I thought it was the voile de fleur, but if you don't smell bigtime gardenia in it, it must not be
    Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford is a very potent, non-powdery and wet gardenia fragrance, very linear but a powerhouse. I wouldn't just judge it from a card supermarky, on some peoples skin this turns very 'blue cheese'. It didn't on mine, but skin chemistry is a strange thing. I'm surprised they had it at Neiman's...how 'cloak & dagger'. Did you have to say the right password to get them to share a sample?

BOVdF is much more about tuberose and orange blossom - I don't remember gardenia being prominent in this at all. Plus BOVdF has the unmistakeable Black Orchid-esque drydown.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th October 2007 at 04:31 PM.

they didn't have velvet gardenia (which does smell like blue cheese) at NM.

this was a gardenia scent from tom ford, new. I will be back there to get to the bottom of this, see the bottle. . .