Code of Conduct

Default Euphoria man needs a hug

Man i dont know why so many people are ripping on this cologne. I will admit that at first i didnt get it, but i tried it again and thought that it smelled better than a lot of my expensive colognes like chergui, Lorenzo villoressi and SMN...though i understand they are different in many ways...i am now completely sold that expensive colognes dont make for a good fragrance necessarily...much the same as wine,beer, and cigars.

Default Re: Euphoria man needs a hug

one word of advice.... "DUCK!"

Seriously though.. I'm glad you like Euphoria for men. Personally, I am not much of a fan... and find it unbelievably close to Escada's Sentiment.... which is essentially an afterthought... I agree that taking a fragrance on its own individual merit is important... though to be honest.... since discovering houses like Creed, Diptyque, MPG.... it's very hard for me to find something at a department store counter that wows me... simply because designers don't tend to push the envelope... designer fragrances are generally safe.... for every Dior Homme.... there's 10 Escada Sunset Heats.. (yes, my second Escada dig within a minute). This isn't to say that there aren't bland Niche offerings as well... that being said, there are some designer houses which satisfy me greatly.. houses like Guerlain, Burberry, Lalique and Chanel are all ones that have produced fragrances that my wardrobe will never be without.

If you've got a bottle of Chergui kickin' around.. I'd be glad to swap you a bottle of Euphoria for it.

a.
    Last edited by NearFantastica; 28th August 2007 at 01:52 AM.

I like the fragrance just wish it lasted longer on my skin

well.. i really like Euphoria too... but longevity is not the best in this fragance.. maybe we should try the new Issey " intense " someone says that is close to euphoria... !

[QUOTE=omniray;1052212]well.. i really like Euphoria too... but longevity is not the best in this fragance.. maybe we should try the new Issey " intense " someone says that is close to euphoria... !

Too me, they are not similar at all. I unfortuntely bought the new Issey Intense, and it doesn't work for me. I could not stand how it smelled. I'm not sure I would say it smelled medicinal, but it just did not smell good, to the point that I don't think I'd even want to try using it again. Oh well, maybe it's just me.

what a shame.... sure you will find a buyer !

so,. i think you didnt like Bleu version if intense smelled medicinal in your skin,... am i right ?

Euphoria has gotten an unfair kicking on these boards, more often than not by people wrapped in their own self-importance rather than a genuine disappreciation of the fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    Euphoria has gotten an unfair kicking on these boards, more often than not by people wrapped in their own self-importance rather than a genuine disappreciation of the fragrance!
    I probably wrote one of the self-important reviews you refer to. Don't worry, I'm not attacking you. It probably does come across that way to some people. In my defense (and anyone else's defense who may have wrote a nitpicky review), I submit this response: the most important thing for a fragrance will always be that it smells good, but there still has to be some small element of creativity and soul present. This is what Euphoria completely lacks. It smells benign and nice, but I know that if I were to wear it for more than a few days, I would be hopelessly bored with it. It isn't a love it or hate it fragrance, it's a like it or like it a little more fragrance...designed to appeal equally well to anyone who might smell it.

This is an honest issue that must be considered when rating a scent. It must have a lasting appeal, and it must stimulate the mind. For me, Euphoria fails on both of these measures, and thus it received a thumbs down, even though it smells nice enough. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to present that type of dissatisfaction without sounding self-important and blindly negative to anything without a high price tag.

Anyway, I hope that helps explain some of the reasoning behind the many negative reviews.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Funny enough...I just want to smell good. When I put something on i never really sink into a deep poetic trance or think of sunsets or self reflection. I mean im not looking for a tasters choice moment...I just want to smell good. As far as soul or creativity, yes i understand what you mean...like for instance, i dont think Clinique Happy has any creativity, neither does any other scent that i own with the exception of Kiehls musk(because it evolves...to me it never smells the same). I dont know...i can see both sides, but if the shoe fits wear it and if the cologne smells good, put it on!

I think that a person's attitude about this kind of thing really depends on their level of experience with scent. Now, I am not making a comment on anyone's level of expertise...I don't know anything about anyone's fragrance background on this thread. But when I started this hobby, I thought Swiss Army was this deep, rich, amazing scent...the gleaming pinnacle of perfection in a world of Axes. Now I see it as slightly better than Cool Water and a good way beneath GIT. I bet if I smelled Euphoria Men back then, it would have knocked my socks off, but as my nose adapted and learned to accept and appreciate a wider variety of smells, many of my old favorites lost their luster. When I smell Euphoria Men now, I can't really help that it smells bland: I did it to myself over the years. It isn't a matter of being poetic and deep; it's a matter of wanting to find something new and interesting to appreciate. This is why so many of us turn to more off-the-wall fragrances that some unexpected character to them. It's easy to find something that just smells good; my quest is to find something that smells good and holds interest.

I guess Euphoria Men does need a hug. It's not Euphoria's fault that we've all trained ourselves not to appreciate it. Here's to Euphoria Men!! We're sorry, buddy.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes. Enjoy your stay!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Red face Re: Euphoria man needs a hug

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I probably wrote one of the self-important reviews you refer to. Don't worry, I'm not attacking you. It probably does come across that way to some people. In my defense (and anyone else's defense who may have wrote a nitpicky review), I submit this response: the most important thing for a fragrance will always be that it smells good, but there still has to be some small element of creativity and soul present. This is what Euphoria completely lacks. It smells benign and nice, but I know that if I were to wear it for more than a few days, I would be hopelessly bored with it. It isn't a love it or hate it fragrance, it's a like it or like it a little more fragrance...designed to appeal equally well to anyone who might smell it.

This is an honest issue that must be considered when rating a scent. It must have a lasting appeal, and it must stimulate the mind. For me, Euphoria fails on both of these measures, and thus it received a thumbs down, even though it smells nice enough. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to present that type of dissatisfaction without sounding self-important and blindly negative to anything without a high price tag.

Anyway, I hope that helps explain some of the reasoning behind the many negative reviews.

I can't say I was referring to one of your reviews when I made that comment, LiveJazz . I understand and appreciate where you're coming from in terms of appreciating a fragrance on more than one level, and for it to be creative. My point was more "what can you get from a global launch like Euphoria"? Surely by default you won't be expecting a ground-breaking fragrance from an international house such as Calvin Klein, as for it to be ground-breaking it must be innovative and should you expect innovation from a Calvin Klein release? It is clear from recent high-profile releases (Attitude,L'Homme,Gucci Pour Homme 2) that the playing-it-safe-card will always be played when its the dollars that matter. I take Euphoria on face value, which is a middle-of-the-road mass market money-maker - but I happen to like it and as my bottle depletes my appreciation of it grows, rather than staying the same.