Code of Conduct

Default Choosing a first Serge Lutens fragrance

A while ago a fellow South African BNoter (thanks rompip!) informed me about a retailer that is selling the SL line locally. I am hoping to get some recommendations from all the guys and ladies here. I am unable to try before I buy (I know, I know...) but would really like to add one Lutens to my collection.

The designer fragrances I'm into heavily are A*men, Opium PH EdP, Jaipur Homme, Egoiste, The Dreamer, Scent Intense, Lempicka Au Masculin and the two Gaultiers for men. I prefer heavy, strong and more unusual fragrances.

The one thing I dislike is fragrances that are predominantly citrus, especially lemon.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Choosing a first Serge Lutens fragrance

If you can get it, Chergui would be right up your street. Alternatively, Ambre Sultan and Arabie (both from the export line) would be worth investigating too.

However, be very careful - owning one bottle may not be enough!

Wink Re: Choosing a first Serge Lutens fragrance

Cedrê is one of my favourites...
    Gorgeus cedar mixed with manly tuberose.
    Datura Noir is another nice option if you want something really unusual.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    The designer fragrances I'm into heavily are A*men, Opium PH EdP, Jaipur Homme, Egoiste, The Dreamer, Scent Intense, Lempicka Au Masculin and the two Gaultiers for men. I prefer heavy, strong and more unusual fragrances.
    Thanks!!
    You will not miss if you buy Chergui

also you might like these very good SL scents - Douce Amere, Rahat Loukum, Arabie
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I will second Arabie
    and add Fumerie Turque and Amber Sultan

Wink Re: Choosing a first Serge Lutens fragrance

Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque, Arabie, Chene are all in keeping with your heavy oriental taste.

Just one? That's tough. I agree with Trebor. Owning one SL may not be enough.

Based on your taste, my recommendations dovetail somewhat with Trebor: Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Douce Amere, Fumerie Turque, and Borneo 1834.

The reccomendations so far are pretty good - Ambre Sultan is similar to Opium EDP to a certain extent, you might want to start there. But there are better ones - all of them are strong and spicy and unusual so that should be up your alley - the ones in the same genre are Arabie and Chergui (but Chergui's only available in europe) and you should really try Cedre. There are many, many other wonderful ones, Fumerie Turque in particular, Chypre Rouge and Vetiver Oriental, but they're further away from what you're describing. I guess I'd start with Cedre or Chergui if you can find it.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Since you've already got Lempicka Au Masculin, I really wouldn't bother with Douce Amere - they are extremely similar. Personally, I prefer Douce Amere...

You may want to pose this question to the ladies also. I don't know if we have a resident male SL expert but the ladies are nuts about all of them, and where they should be worn (this may surprise you) and by whom.

You would most likely enjoy Chergui, Rahat Loukoum and possibly Datura Noir and Gris Clair.

My personal favorite is Chene and I think you would love it as well.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    You may want to pose this question to the ladies also. I don't know if we have a resident male SL expert but the ladies are nuts about all of them, and where they should be worn (this may surprise you) and by whom.

surprisingly I've never heard anything about wearing SL frags differently and by whom.
    Last edited by matreal; 28th August 2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Jellybean,
    Your tastes are very similar to mine - someone who likes to have the juice speak very clearly and strongly! To me, you're someone who would likely appreciate SL frags.

Earlier this year I wrote a post about choosing my first Serge fragrance, which turned out to be fun trip. After trying about ten of them, I narrowed it down to Ambre Sultan, Chergui, and Fumerie Turque. I only allowed myself one, and finally chose Ambre Sultan. I love its exotic majesty, and enjoy wearing it often. I did get samples of the other two, and when I went back to Chergui the other day, I almost swooned, it was so nice.

I also checked out some Frederick Malle frags, which were very nice, but the Lutens frags chanted my name. Come to think of it, the prices, while not cheap, were better, too. I have not gone back to the well of niche fragrances recently though, partially due to price, and parially because I share Scentemental's view that there are a huge number of excellent designer fragrances.

I like Fred's idea of speaking with the ladies. I'm sure they would weigh in.

Have fun!
    Dave
    Last edited by Cognoscento; 28th August 2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typos

Basenotes Institution

Ambre Sultan.

This was my first Serge Lutens fragrance, and I imagine it will astound you, like it did me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th August 2007 at 03:03 PM.

Jellybean, there's no better house out there for you than Serge Lutens. These earthshaking uber heavy saturated foody scents with saccharine resinous ingredients will be right up your alley.

Arabie with its spicy sweet souk market effect, Rahat Lakhoum with its "blended turkish-delight in your veins" madness, Fumerie Turque with its sherbet infused smoke, and Daim Blond with its apricot humping leather should be must trys.

Others like Ambre Sultan, Chergui and Douce Amere are also recommended.
    -

Thanks for the many replies guys...much appreciated! I think I've narrowed it down to 3, with Chergui in the lead. I'm buying tomorrow and should have it by Thursday. Will let you know. Thanks again!

Off-Scenter

Your current favorites suggest that you like orientals with gourmand or ambery notes. Unfortunately for you, that means you're liable to fall hard for many of the Serge Lutes scents.

I cuncur with the recommendations for Arabie and Ambre Sultan, which you should be able to find easily. Among the non-exports, you're liable to enjoy Chergui, Un Bois Vanille, Borneo 1834, and Mandarine-Mandarin. Muscs Koublai Khan is also worth a try, but probably not as your first - it's ratehr challenging to wear for some.

Good luck, and be prepared to guard your budget!

summer means fireflys

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ambre Sultan.

This was my first Serge Lutens fragrance, and I imagine it will astound you, like it did me.
    Ambre Sultan was my first too ... and now I also own Chergui and Fumerie Turque.

I think you would like any of these three. I think all three smell amazing on a woman OR a man ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Ambre Sultan is my first SL.
    Fumerie Turque will be my next.

The three that I have worn are Ambre Sultan, FT and Chergui (for some reason available in SA). They are so distinct and sublime. I dont think you can go wrong.

Just saw now that the Metropolitain in Cape Town is relocating! Sorry man. Its a surreal experience standing in front of their SL display. The bottles are almost as beautiful as the juice!

I would suggest Borneo 1834, Chergui and Un Bois Sépia.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

It must be love at first sniff!!!
    So, let's go with Fumerie Turque!