Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Default Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    Serge Lutens Encense et Lavande

    I got a nice little decant of this from Musse (Thanks!) and just got around to trying it this morning and I'm in my own little heaven right now.

    I've tried about 10 different SLs and most are not my style. I have a bottle of Ambre Sultan, and it's good but only for winter. I like Arabie and Santal de Mysore. Most of the others don't do much for me. I had tried Gris Clair and was surprised to find that I didn't care for it like I thought I would. The description sounded great, but the fragrance left me cold.

    But this Encens et Lavande is breathtaking. When I first sprayed it on, it was like Dior's Eau Noire. But where Eau Noire gets all sticky and messy, Encense et Lavande becomes crisper and more resolute with each passing minute. The first smell is like a big metal knife chopping through celery and herbs, with a slight burnt sweetness (like in Eau Noire), but you have to wait a minute or two for that payoff-- the incense... The best part. Somewhat like the clean, uplifting delicate incense of Passage D'Enfer. I hadn't imagined the pairing of incense with lavender, but it's wonderful. I'm not usually all that enthralled with lavender scents because they're usually too sweet. This one takes a different approach and it's perfect.

    Lavender is said to be a relaxant. So what better to pair it with than the gentle, meditative smoke of incense? Also this scent is very clean smelling for an incense fragrance. Sometimes such fragrances tend to be resinous, earthy and on the dirty side. This is as clean as they come.

    If I keep sniffing this, I'm going to get high!

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,228

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    Sounds wonderful - I know you love those celery notes....

    Is the incense at all like the incense in Nu (YSL)? Your metallic description (knife blade) and incense struck me instantly with the mental image I conjured the first time I wore Nu ('metallic incense'). Which, honestly, is not something I could pull off.

    However Passage d'Enfer's incense notes are quite meditative...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    I got very little lavender if any from Encens et Lavande, however I did get a very clean metallic incense. Rather than the smokey incense it was like a steamy incense (if that means anything to you). It was very relaxing, however, the metallic part just didn't do it for me.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sounds wonderful - I know you love those celery notes....

    Is the incense at all like the incense in Nu (YSL)? Your metallic description (knife blade) and incense struck me instantly with the mental image I conjured the first time I wore Nu ('metallic incense'). Which, honestly, is not something I could pull off.

    However Passage d'Enfer's incense notes are quite meditative...
    Nothing at all like Nu. Nu is cloudy, screeching and black and it clogs up your sinuses. This stuff is the COMPLETE opposite. Nu is perfumey, this is not. The metallic nature is not of an extremely aldehydic nature. It's more of an effect of the initial sharpness of lavender I think.

    It's funny also about the celery notes thing I mentioned last week-- this was one of those scents that I was thinking about.

    Anyway this scent has to be worn on skin-- when you sniff from the bottle, you won't get the incense. It only unfolds on the skin.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    I love this one. Wish it were easier to get. Perhaps best for my budget that it isn't.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    While the smoky incense does take over the fragrance eventually, the lavender note is good while it lasts. A simple yet effective formula.
    -

  7. #7

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    try gris clair again though

  8. #8

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    Ah, Encens et Lavande... such a refined, smooth piece of art. It's extremely relaxing and soothing to me. I really should order a full bottle ASAP.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

    There is always the sky to look at

  9. #9

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    I got very little lavender if any from Encens et Lavande, however I did get a very clean metallic incense. Rather than the smokey incense it was like a steamy incense (if that means anything to you). It was very relaxing, however, the metallic part just didn't do it for me.
    Body chemistry is strange because on me it's an initial blast of high quality lavender followed by a dry smokey incense with the odd drift of lavender floating in and out till it finally fades away completely.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    Does anyone know if this is an exclusive or is it available in the US? if it is does anyone know a store that sells it?

    Does anyone have a list of which lutens are exclusives and which are not?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    It's only available in Europe.

    I wore it again the other day at work. I loved it and also I noticed a few of my female coworkers seemed to stand really close to me. The thing is that I have to be careful not to overapply. The metallic silvery sharp lavender can give you a splitting headache if you're not careful. It's like gouging your eye sockets with a silver spoon when you overdo it!

    That's how it is with lavender I suppose.

    Also, I did retry Gris Clair last night and I don't like it. Very cloying and too sweet. It smells just like Laguna Homme to me. I'd buy a bottle of Encense et Lavande if ol' Serge would sell to us Yanks, but alas he won't... Well, I'm not settling for Gris Clair as a consolation prize.

    As to which Lutens are exclusives? Oh, basically all the good ones.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,228

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    Does anyone know if this is an exclusive or is it available in the US? if it is does anyone know a store that sells it?

    Does anyone have a list of which lutens are exclusives and which are not?
    Serge Lutens - Nearly All the Facts:

    http://freespace.virgin.net/lovely.p...LutensWeb.html

  13. #13

    Talking Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    Thanks Mike and Indie guy!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    I bought an 8 mil decat from www.theperfumedcourt.com thanks to another thread. This stuff is all I had hoped for. Very strong incense note of Nag Champa and charred wood, a wonderful dark lavender. In the drydown I get Ambergris and hints of Honey. Sillage and longevity are amazing. This is not an everyday fragrance for me, but with the weather cooling down this is going to be some tremendous stuff!

    P.S. - The perfumed court (although absurdly expensive) was very quick with the shipping and a joy to work with. The gal (Nancy) whom decanted for me even wrote me a very nice little note included in my package. I would deffinately buy from them again

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,228

    Default Re: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande review

    Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I bought an 8 mil decat from www.theperfumedcourt.com thanks to another thread. This stuff is all I had hoped for. Very strong incense note of Nag Champa and charred wood, a wonderful dark lavender. In the drydown I get Ambergris and hints of Honey. Sillage and longevity are amazing. This is not an everyday fragrance for me, but with the weather cooling down this is going to be some tremendous stuff!

    P.S. - The perfumed court (although absurdly expensive) was very quick with the shipping and a joy to work with. The gal (Nancy) whom decanted for me even wrote me a very nice little note included in my package. I would deffinately buy from them again
    Sounds great. I love a good scent that has hints of honey in it (Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain does this well) and the Nag Champa incense reference has my ears perked up.

Similar Threads

  1. Serge Lutens Test Results
    By CJ in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 5th April 2012, 03:48 AM
  2. Serge Lutens obsession...
    By Dane in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 8th November 2007, 08:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000