Code of Conduct
    Dependent

Default Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

could someone point me back to the conversations held in the female forum about what they thought SL Ambre Sultan reminded them of. or could you step up to the mike?

It seems like I was here for years and that the SL week of joy was so long ago. When I look at my join date I can't believe how much I've learned. When i started i had a fairly good idea which way the nozzle was supposed to point.

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 28th August 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    could someone point me back to the conversations held in the female forum about what they thought SL Ambre Sultan reminded them of. or could you step up to the mike?

It seems like I was here for years and that the SL week of joy was so long ago. When I look at my join date I can't believe how much I've learned. When i started i had a fairly good idea which way the nozzle was supposed to point.

thanks in advance.
    Are you talking about this thread? http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190311

Dependent

that's one, and I seem to have gotten involved there yet I don't remember.

good search abilities Mike.

I wonder what the ladies will say now?

maybe it was a blog I originally read it in. yea a blog. and I think I know whose it was now.

hmmmm
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 28th August 2007 at 05:20 PM.

Here's the link to another thread on AS, fred:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=181600

Yeah, our Lutens week seems ages ago but I am sure we didn't discuss Ambre Sultan extensively.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Dependent

Thanks Lady in Black

this predates my membership but I'll enjoy it.

Gary

I'm a proud owner of AS - it was, in fact, my first niche scent.
    I like it a lot but it's never struck me as rude...I got more of a churchy vibe from it.
    My friend thought it smelled a little naughty but perhaps I am less sensitive to certain ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I'm a proud owner of AS - it was, in fact, my first niche scent.
    I like it a lot but it's never struck me as rude...I got more of a churchy vibe from it.
    My friend thought it smelled a little naughty but perhaps I am less sensitive to certain ingredients.

I definitely get Church vibe too. Having grown up Catholic, I am almost instantly transported to Sunday Mass and the smell of incense. It has almost (but not quite) put me off wearing AS.
    --------------------------------------
    I'm wearing it today, and I realised it was also my first niche fragrance. I'm still unsure about how much I like it. Some days it smells absolutely amazing, and other days I can't wait to wash it off and replace it. Today is grey and misty and autumnal and it works perfectly. It feels like an autumn fragrance to me, and maybe wearing it in the summer was my mistake. I think sitting round an open fire, sipping hot toddies wearing a big thick jumper (preferrably orange), slippers and Ambre Sultan, is the image that works best for me. That, and one of those richly coloured tapestry type pictures of people from centuries ago, inside a huge vaulted church. Isn't it odd the pictures we get in our heads when we smell a fragrance?
    --------------------------------------
    Ooh, dear! I got a reaction to AS today at work and I'm not sure it was the kind of reaction I'd really like. I asked a colleague (male) to cover for me on reception while I took the post to our other building. He came in and said "this place smells strongly of perfume", then he did something that made my blood run cold: He waved his hand in front of his nose in a 'not pleased' kind of way. I said the smell was probably me, and that I was sorry if he didn't like it. He said "it's just strong"...

I like the kind of reaction to a perfume that goes something like: "my god, what's that you're wearing? It's FABULOUS!", not "this place smells strongly of perfume <waft, waft>"

Bugger. I think my bottle of AS may have to go in the 'swap' section of my wardrobe...
    Last edited by Clemmie; 31st August 2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I love Ambre Sultan.
    I think it epitomizes what is best about the incense genre, managing to be sweet, spicy, and smoky without being ashen.
    As far as the smell of clean private parts skin goes, I think osmanthus comes closer.

Don't let someone else put you off, Clemmie - some folks don't like any sort of perfume and act like you've released mustard gas if you dare to wear some around them.
    I do agree AS is more of an autumn/winter scent - I don't even think to reach for it on a warm day. Hang on to it as it's just coming up to the perfect time to wear it.

Don't let someone else put you off, Clemmie - some folks don't like any sort of perfume and act like you've released mustard gas if you dare to wear some around them.
    I do agree AS is more of an autumn/winter scent - I don't even think to reach for it on a warm day. Hang on to it as it's just coming up to the perfect time to wear it.
    I caught a whiff of it myself yesterday when the day was almost at a close, and it really does improve as time goes on. So I decided I wasn't going to be put off. It's not a fragrance I wear often, for me, it requires an element of bravado to wear it (can't explain why!)...but I am going to continue with it, because sometimes I'm just in the mood for that lusciousness.

So thanks for the encouragement. Some people just don't 'get' perfume, do they?
    Bill Cosby

I'm the opposite I can only wear this in very humid summer heat - it comes off rich and sweet - in drier weather it turns dusty and thin.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Smile Re: Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I'm the opposite I can only wear this in very humid summer heat - it comes off rich and sweet - in drier weather it turns dusty and thin.
    Same here.

...and here !
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

This is a staple for me, and fits like a glove.
    Just warm, exquisitely complex and beautiful.
    Comforting.

Don't let someone else put you off, Clemmie - some folks don't like any sort of perfume and act like you've released mustard gas if you dare to wear some around them.....
    Yeah, rully, Babes. My Boss jumped back in horror and (literally) yelled "That's HORRIBLE" when I dabbed (mind you DABBED) on the divine Safari for Men yesterday. She has had a similar reaction to L' Heure Bleu. But has either not noticed but has never commented on Tabu, or Bal a Versailles or Chinatown...scarcely shrinking violets (to mix a metaphor)

Moral: I don't wear them to work but I would NEVER abandon these beauties.....and AS is such (IMNSHO)...
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

I have said this before, and I will say it again: Ambre Sultan is my favorite fragrance in my entire wardrobe. I enjoy it immensely and if I had to pick just one scent...it would be AS.

Ambre Sultan is my favorite SL even nudging out Rousse. I have never had a bad experience with it and only pleasing remarks from those who notice my scents at all.
    It is a frag or all seasons on me.

It's not my favourite SL by a long way, but it definitely has a place in my wardrobe, and although I had a moment of 'oh hell' last week, I'm not giving it up. I just won't wear it to work (or maybe I will occasionally, just to irritate that one person who commented). We'll see if he says anything about my heavy-handed sousing of NR For Her EDT today! Because if he does, then he has no soul and is not worth the nasal consideration I would normally afford people who object to sillage. I am a perfumista and proud of it, so my AS is staying. I still haven't decided which is my favourite SL...it's a tie between Sa Majeste La Rose, Miel de Bois and A La Nuit at the moment.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 3rd September 2007 at 06:29 AM.
    Bill Cosby