Code of Conduct

Thread: LF new Cologne

Question LF new Cologne

Hi, new to the site, stopped in to look for reviews on a cologne that I am almost out of, called "Gucci Noble." I was dissapointed to see that it had been discontinued.

In any case it was really interesting to stumble upon this "subculture?" of scent connoisseurs. The reviews are really fun to read. One person described the scent as "mediteranean" among other descriptions and really nailed the essence of it

Anyway, most colognes have been gifts and I am now looking to find my own brand/essence and am looking for help from some of the experts.

I liked Gucci, it was my favorite "gift" cologne, but one of the reviewers marked it as a "mature" scent. In retrospect I agree with this assertion. There are many aspects I like about the cologne, but I am unsure which is giving it that "mature" feel to it. I am 28, and I feel this particular scent is a bit old, and I am looking for something a bit more fun.

To add some perspective a "gift cologne" that I absolutly hate is called "Black Suede." Smells like a newly ordained priest jumping into a tub full of baby powder. I REALLY hate it.

Lol, that said, if anyone could offer some suggestions, or point me in a direction I would be much obliged.

Thanks.

Default Re: LF new Cologne

First off I would like to welcome you here. You'll find so many little niches of cologne where you will feast of the sweet scents you've never smelled before.

I could throw a number of names at you and have you go out and smell them at some department store but I wouldn't know where to start. I'm not farmilliar with Gucci Noble so I couldn't find a modern day match. I do suggest that you hit up every store that carries scents and sample them on your skin. I'm sure people will give you some suggestions of what to smell first but I would smell all of them since you havn't really been a buyer as much as a reciever of scents. Smell them and find what you like.

Welcome again...

Smile Re: LF new Cologne

I'd like to add my WELCOME to you also kundalinifire.

I'm not familiar with Gucci Nobile either, however I did a search on the SEPHORA site and this was their recommendation if searching for a similar scent:
    "Here are recommendations whose fragrance family, notes & subnotes is most similar to Gucci Nobile by Gucci: Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera & Style in Play by Lacoste"

Maybe start there and try those two scents, but don't limit yourself. Go crazy and try loads more.

Good luck & let us know what you finally find that you love.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

I'm somewhat familiar with Gucci Nobile. If you're looking for a more youthful scent with similar green and soapy qualities, I'd suggest trying Thierry Mugler Cologne and Creed Original Vetiver.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Smile Re: LF new Cologne

Thank you so much! I'm actually very psyched to try some of those!

Just a follow up, is there a way to sample the base fragrances (unsure of my terminology here) so I know how to identify each part of a given perfume or cologne?

Quote Originally Posted by kundalinifire View Post
    Thank you so much! I'm actually very psyched to try some of those!

Just a follow up, is there a way to sample the base fragrances (unsure of my terminology here) so I know how to identify each part of a given perfume or cologne?
    Test it on your skin and wait. If you are trying to figure out the layers and notes of the scents you will be trying than that is my advice. Your skin will give you a perfect representation of what it will smell like. Paper strips and magazines are often a little off. The top notes come first and then the middle and then the base. It is a waiting game and you'll notice a change. Testing on your own skin is the way to go.