Code of Conduct

Default Carnation by Mona di Orio - mini review

I love Bellodgia by Caron, it isn't like that. I love Oeillet by Scent-Systems, it isn't like that one either. I could go on and name various Carnation scents, and it isn't like any of them. In fact, to my nose, I just can't detect the smallest amount of any carnation smelling molecule at all. Having said that, it is a beautiful floral scent.

The scent is dedicated to the famous French novellist, Collette, I suppose the epitome of womanhood. I can see where Mona got the inspiration from, but to me, this scent is Marie Antoinette. Not Marie Antoinette in the Concergerie but in her happy days ensconced in the Petit Trianon at Versailles, surrounded by flowers.

It starts off with a slightly zingy citrus accord with bergamot, but that doesn't last too long before it blends into the creamy heart of ylang ylag and jasmine, along with other florals. Once the heart notes kicked in, they seemed to last for ages and the darker base notes hardly showed their influence.

I originally posted this review on another forum and at the time I didn't realise that the name of the perfume was referring to a woman's skin and not the flower.

Barry

Default Re: Carnation by Mona di Orio - mini review

Prince, one man, one word!
    Don't be embarassed, it happened to me also. The first time I smelled it, I was like "Oh my, that's gorgeous! But....where IS the carnation?"
    But I loved it so much I had to acquire a decant immediately and shortly afterwards I upgraded to a full bottle. A truly well-blended, milky, indolic jasmine is the most prominent note on my skin. Now that I think of it, that's the exact same reason why I so love the new Haramens from Pierre Guillaume (an old friend of yours!), although the two are by no means identical.
    And you're absolutely right, the main theme lasts forever, so that the fragrance seems to have almost no development.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Thank you Lady_in_Black! Glad that I'm not the only one who thought that it should smell of Carnations.

It's funny that you should mention Pierre, I have just been testing his new Cadjmere.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    A truly well-blended, milky, indolic jasmine is the most prominent note on my skin.
    Sounds familiar!

Carnation is what I expected Nuit Noire to be.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I spilled my decant (5ml!) after getting to try this only once. It was around last fall or this spring, can't really remember. But I really want to smell it again, I know it is gorgeous.

I haven't smelled this (though I'd love to), but I read somewhere that Carnation refers to a type of complexion and not to the flower, which would explain why you don't smell any.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I recently revisited the whole MdO line, and Carnation remains my favourite. A rosy-cheeked beauty, soft and sensual. A must-have.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Prince Barry, yesterday I tried and bought Oeillet sauvage AP
    Wonderful, a good sillage, longest than others AP.
    Do you know?
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.