Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Gucci de Guccii preview; Hermès Calèche Fleurs du Méditéranée

I was at San Francisco Neiman's today and the rep from Gucci walked in with a tester vial of the new Gucci de Gucci.

The scent has some fruity top notes (pear and guava), some florals in the heart (including lily of the valley), and a fair bit of patchouli in the base. I saw the complete list of notes, but unfortunately can't remember them all.

The initial impression is very similar to L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; the florals and the patchouli come out right away and stay dominant for a good bit. Even at the beginning though, there is a lot more depth to this than to the l'Artisan, as the fruits and other florals provide immediate backup to the dominant notes, giving this an added complexity. Eventually, the floral bit of the floral-patchouli accord goes further into the background, and this begins to take on a (somewhat sweeter) similarity to Terre d'Hermès. The packaging is very elegant and expensive-looking, and the bottle is really a gem. Price point USD 80 for 50 ml., $100 for 100 ml.

Also, while I was there I smelled Hermès Calèche Fleurs de Méditéranée. It's smooth and beautiful green chypre, with a heart of mimosa, and lots of bright, fresh greens (including mint) and florals over the chypre base. Very chic, while retaining every bit of its classical aura! It's USD 150 for 100 ml.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 24th August 2007 at 05:16 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Gucci de Guccii preview; Hermès Calèche Fleurs du Méditéranée

Am I the only one who did not even HEAR about these Gucci and Hermes' releases?

Where was I, when these were released?

I'm going to Neimans this weekend!!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd August 2007 at 11:37 PM.

Never heard of GdG, but wow it sounds fab. I was never a fan of Voleur de Roses (too much patchouli, not much else), but a refined patchouli-floral combo sounds like a winner !
    -

Basenotes Institution

OK, I feel a little better, I guess the Hermes you sniffed isn't a new scent from Hermes, but an old Limited Edition release, and is actually in the Basenotes database: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122989.html WHEW! I try to keep up on all that is Hermes, and for a minute there I was ultra confused.

My equilibrium is now back to normal.

The Gucci - I don't know what happened?

JaimeB,

I take it this(Gucci de Gucci) is a woman's release? How well does it suit men?
    Thank you
    Last edited by graffham; 24th August 2007 at 01:56 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I followed up on this at Neiman's today, and the Gucci de Gucci is apparently going to appear mid-September and will be exclusive at Neiman's for five months. Osmoz.com doesn't list it in either their News or New Scents lists... strange to me, too, Mike Perez.

Graffham: No, it is not for women; it's to be marketed as a men's fragrance.

Also:

I looked up Calèche Fleurs de Méditéranée from 2003 on Osmoz.com and got the following pyramid:

Top note : violet leaves, Egyptian jasmine
    Middle note : Turkish rose, mimosa absolute
    Base note : heliotrope, beeswax

I remember though, that the box said on the sleeve that it was specially formulated for Neiman's 100th Anniversary, which is this year. I assume, therefore, that it must be somewhat reformulated.

Anyway... I ended up buying it, because it's really beautiful, and I feel it is really a shared fragrance... not too floral-sweet for a man. The violet leaves in the top are very green and herbal; I think there is still a white floral, perhaps jasmine. The key to the heart is definitely a kind of green mimosa, not sharp. There may be heliotrope and beeswax in the base, but it seems to be smoothed out with a kind of cinnamic note, perhaps vanilla and/or sandalwood.

...but don't trust my nose. I hope to ferret out the notes from the Hermès lady sometime soon, and I'll post whatever I'm able to find out.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 25th August 2007 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

The Gucci is now on the Neiman Marcus site, for sale Jaime. It's called Gucci by Gucci and it's being marketed as an Eau de Parfum:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...50735cat000732

It has...guava notes, which I get excited about. I hope to smell it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The Gucci is now on the Neiman Marcus site, for sale Jaime. It's called Gucci by Gucci and it's being marketed as an Eau de Parfum:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...50735cat000732

It has...guava notes, which I get excited about. I hope to smell it soon.
    Nice bottle. A bit of s&m going on there too, with that (key) chain around the base of the nozzle and all...
    -

Not that it matters (for some) but it's marketed as a womens fragrance.
    It has masculine notes in it though.

Gucci's latest fragrance for women, Gucci by Gucci, will launch this coming October. It will be the first major feminine launch under Gucci Creative Director Frida Giannini, who reportedly "unleashed her affinity for masculine notes" with the modern chypre fragrance. The notes include guava, raspberry, pear, Tahitian Tiare flower, orange blossom, spider lily, patchouli, honey and musk.

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...3/3090391.html
    Last edited by eric; 29th August 2007 at 10:18 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Nice bottle. A bit of s&m going on there too, with that (key) chain around the base of the nozzle and all...
    I was thinking the same thing (dirty minds think alike, huh?). Very Tom Ford-esque. Actually, I think the bottle is patterned after the Coach perfume bottle, just done up in amber glass.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th August 2007 at 11:55 PM.