Code of Conduct

Default Analyzing my impressions

I plunked down the cash for a complete set of Etat Libre d'Orange and Tom Ford Private Blend samples. Given the expense/difficulty in obtaining full bottles, I figured I would do well to go this route and give myself time to see what I like and don't like. Also, I got the Le Parfum set as an extravagant (VERY extravagant) Christmas gift for myself.

After having sampled them all, however, I think I'm going to give up any future attempts to critique and quantify scents beyond whether or not I find them pleasing to my nose. Much as I try, I can't seem to put any meaningful analysis in what I'm smelling. My impressions are generally limited to "I like it" or "I don't like it" or "Smells like old ladies' stuff" or...you get the picture. One would think that I would have developed more of a "nose" after being such an enthusiast for so many years. I envy those of you who can decoct a fragrance to the extent I've read around here.

At one time I thought I'd try my hand at making my own blends, but given everything, I think it would be a massive waste of my time and money to go that route.

I hate to sound like a whiny cry-baby -- which is exactly what I'm doing, I know -- but it's frustrating and discouraging to come to the realization that something I once enjoyed has become less meaningful and thus less enjoyable for me.

Thank you for your attention.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Analyzing my impressions

I guess its time for you to replace this addiction with another addiction .. shaving blades and creams perhaps (which sounds even more absurd to me) ?
    -

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Go easy on yourself BlueDevil. Sampling an entire line of scents all at once, and being expected to clarify, analyze and critique them is hard work (I know it is, I've done it). Even professional 'noses' find this difficult.

If you can't give prolific reviews of your recent sniffing, that's OK. Believe me, this site (and the entire blog-osphere for that matter) is chock full of reviews, comments and lots of talk about the Etat de Libre'Orange and TF Priavte Blends last time that I checked. More importantly, how they smell to you a normal, down-to-earth Basenoter is imporant to me, a fellow Basenoter.

I'd love to hear which Tom Ford Private Blends you like and which ones you don't. You can list why, but this is totally optional...

Thanks, Mike...I appreciate that. I wrote that in a fit of frustration. I'm still somewhat discouraged, but I think you're right: I'm being too hard on myself. I do realize now I probably rushed my way through the sampling.

(However, I have to say one thing about Etat Libre d'Orange: Out of 15 scents, I like only one. The remainder of the line is so very in-your-face and aggressive, I can't imagine myself wearing any of them.)

So far, out of the Tom Fords, I like Tobacco Vanille. It's warm and comforting. Neroli Portofino is really good, too, but I think something similar can be had for less.

More to come...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF View Post
    Thanks, Mike...I appreciate that. I wrote that in a fit of frustration. I'm still somewhat discouraged, but I think you're right: I'm being too hard on myself. I do realize now I probably rushed my way through the sampling.

(However, I have to say one thing about Etat Libre d'Orange: Out of 15 scents, I like only one. The remainder of the line is so very in-your-face and aggressive, I can't imagine myself wearing any of them.)

So far, out of the Tom Fords, I like Tobacco Vanille. It's warm and comforting. Neroli Portofino is really good, too, but I think something similar can be had for less.

More to come...
    Loved those 2 also. As of yet, I have never smelled anything like Tobacco Vanille and I hope to sniff some again soon. The title sounds kind of gross. But actually the scent is quite comforting, as you said. I'd love to smell Tobacco Vanille on Tom Ford himself.

Neroli Portofino is just as good as Neroli 36 by Le Labo or Neroli by Czech and Speake (both just as pricey as the TF, but perhaps easier to score at discounts...not sure, though).

Keep the reviews coming...

Etat Libre...your comments don't surprise me. Oh well.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th August 2007 at 04:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

personally, I'm looking forward to some samples of Etat I ordered. It seems a lot of people are completely turned off by their marketing scheme before even smelling the frags. If anything, it intrigues me a lot more to make an effort to sample these before other fragrances on my list. I am fairly inspired by the "In your face" comments because if it's anything less(considering their marketing approach), I'd be very dissapointed to say the least. I to, also have some Tom Ford private blends coming as well as some Ayala Moriel and just a few more Ava Luxe frags left on the list to test. I just got done sniffing the goth rosary's whole line. It's going to be a great weak!

Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    personally, I'm looking forward to some samples of Etat I ordered. It seems a lot of people are completely turned off by their marketing scheme before even smelling the frags.
    Oh, I love the marketing scheme! Doesn't offend me at all, so I guess that makes me a bit of a perv. I love the fact that they're designing a fragrance for Tom of Finland for the simple reason that doing so defies the hypermasculinity that goes with the gay leather scene.

If anything, it intrigues me a lot more to make an effort to sample these before other fragrances on my list. I am fairly inspired by the "In your face" comments because if it's anything less(considering their marketing approach), I'd be very dissapointed to say the least.
    I respect what they're trying to do with this. I'm not averse to fragrances with a strong presence, but...these did nothing for me. The only one out of the bunch I truly liked and would want to wear was Antihéros, and not surprisingly it is the least complex and most straightforward of the whole line. (If you like lavender, as I do, you'll love it.) Jasmin et Cigarette is interesting, and I might like it on someone else, but I didn't like it on me. The most surprising and interesting one out of the bunch turned out to be Encens & Bubblegum. It's not as sweet or cloying as it sounds. Rien is pretty vile. I need to give Je Suis un Homme another try.

-- Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I love the marketing scheme! Doesn't offend me at all, so I guess that makes me a bit of a perv. I love the fact that they're designing a fragrance for Tom of Finland for the simple reason that doing so defies the hypermasculinity that goes with the gay leather scene.

I respect what they're trying to do with this. I'm not averse to fragrances with a strong presence, but...these did nothing for me. The only one out of the bunch I truly liked and would want to wear was Antihéros, and not surprisingly it is the least complex and most straightforward of the whole line. (If you like lavender, as I do, you'll love it.) Jasmin et Cigarette is interesting, and I might like it on someone else, but I didn't like it on me. The most surprising and interesting one out of the bunch turned out to be Encens & Bubblegum. It's not as sweet or cloying as it sounds. Rien is pretty vile. I need to give Je Suis un Homme another try.

-- Tim

Yes, I love lavender. Now, I'm even more excited that I made sure to get a sample of antiheros. Jasmin et Cigarette intrigues me because I love white flowers and jasmine, however much of the jasmine in fragrances seems a bit too feminine to my taste. Sadly, I was interested in Encens & bubblegum but the idea seemed like a bit too much for me. I'll have to get a sample of it eventually. I ordered Rien because I've seen all sorts of responces from it. Knowing my luck, I'll hate it. Sadly, I also haven't heard too much good about Je suis un Homme. Thank you very much for your input!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to give Je Suis un Homme another try.

-- Tim
    Yes - that's the one that I have at home (sample) that I have yet to try.