Code of Conduct

Thread: Think Wine

Default Think Wine

Is there any fragrance that evokes wine for you? Wine-like notes are a plus, but it doesn't actually have to smell like wine... just give the general classy feeling of a good red.

A fragrance that feels like this:
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 14th February 2007 at 02:07 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: calm like wine

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    Is there any fragrance that evokes wine for you? Wine-like notes are a plus, but it doesn't actually have to smell like wine... just give the general classy feeling of a good red.
    What I am wearing right now — Versailles Pour Homme. It smells classy and rich, like a good Bordeaux (apologies for spelling).
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Default Re: Think wine

One of my favorites, JHL by Aramis, has a detectable note of either red wine, or perhaps cognac.

Two others which are also my favorites, Chanel Bois des Îles and Chanel Égoïste, both give me an impression of deep, rich wine.

Default Re: Think Wine

Fumerie Turque does not evoke wine by scent at all but it does impart the feeling of having had a glass or two. ... Or is it a puff or two? Well, it's "that" feeling.
    I also get that from Tabac Blond and from Cuir de Russie. (the Chanel one)
    Now if you're looking for guy specific frags, I don't know.

Oh man I haven't smelled any those except Egoiste, which I have on right now. Classy indeed. JHL is one that I've always wanted to try, but have a hard a hard time finding. So many frags, so little time. And money.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The current Burberry London for men has a "Port Wine" heart note. (Been a while since I've sniffed this, so I'm not sure how apparent it actually is...)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

For me, now that I think on it, Aramis Havana for Men during the brief transition stage between topnotes and middlenotes, has that great cognac 'front-of-the-nose' feel and aroma in there somewhere that (IMO) surfaces and retreats...surfaces and retreats a few times until the more mellow drydown appears.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Has anyone tried anything from Ginestet? They are supposedly going for a wine or wine-inspired accord.

I'd be interested to hear more about this house, and it's apropos the thread.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...7200&section=2

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I own Ginestet - Le Boise. It is a woody, dry spicy scent with a hint of vanilla in the drydown. The bottle is a small wine bottle. The first few minutes are meant to evoke the smell of red wine in an oak barrel. Very nice fragrance but longevity is not that great.

Parfums de Nicolai Sacrebleu! has a deep berry and woodyness about it that I find really nice.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Ungaro Pour L'Homme 1 - otherwise known as Ungaro 1

The obvious - O Boticario's Malbec.

To me Serge Luten's Chene recalls a glass of red wine, partially in smell and partially in overall feeling.

Of course: Voleur de Roses - like les caveaux even!

(C&S88 in a way)
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Jock_with_scents and someone else mentioned Ginestet in this thread - and today I just read about other Ginestet 'wine-y' scents: Botrytis and Sauvignonne.

Anyone try these?

Botrytis sounds amazing (honey, candied fruits, quince, pain d’epice, white flowers and a base of Sauterne) and absolutely perfect for fall/winter.

Luckyscent sells these, so I guess I could just order samples...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe View Post
    To me Serge Luten's Chene recalls a glass of red wine, partially in smell and partially in overall feeling.
    To me, Chene is like one of the super oaked, California Chardonnays.

M7.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Frapin -1270.Hands down!

I've tested some of the other fragrances being mentioned and although some of them do have slight wine notes, I hardly think to myself "This smells of good red wine." It's more like "I'm detecting a wine note." 1270 smells of good red wine.
    Sitting in a dimly lit, upscale restaurant in nyc. My waiter comes to poor my date and I a glass of wine resting the bottle neck on his wrist as it flows. I lift the glass to my nose and savor the smell to the soundtrack of Sinatra's greatest hits...and proceed to drink it in.
    Last edited by matreal; 28th August 2007 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Jock_with_scents and someone else mentioned Ginestet in this thread - and today I just read about other Ginestet 'wine-y' scents: Botrytis and Sauvignonne.

Anyone try these?

Botrytis sounds amazing (honey, candied fruits, quince, pain d’epice, white flowers and a base of Sauterne) and absolutely perfect for fall/winter.

Mike,

I received a sample of Sauvignonne last winter while scouting holiday gifts for the women in my life. Reminds me of a white wine spritzer with a dash of fresh peach and grapefruit. The one thing I remember most is the fresh-from-the-tree peach note. Completely guessing at the base, it might be amber, white musk, and woods. Not something I would wear given the over-the-top peach note. RIYL citrus and/or peach scents with a tough of light sweetness in the base.

I have yet to sample Botrytis but I hear it's loaded with honey.

Yes, Botrytis is overloaded with honey and I got little to no wine from it. I was dissapointed to say the least.

I have not tryed Sauvignonne yet however. I heard some mixed reviews and decided I would put near the bottom of my list for fragrances to test

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Anyone try these?

The Ginestet family once owned the Bordeaux First Growth Chateau Margaux I think..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I went through a bottle of Le Boise but because of the lackluster longevity, I didn't seek a second bottle. Slather it on and it is awesome for 4 hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    The obvious - O Boticario's Malbec.
    I haven't tried this but I was going to suggest it anyway!

O'Boticario rocks!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

hmmm.... micheal kors anyone?
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

When I first smelled Gucci II PH, my thought was -and I wrote it in a comment- that it strongly resembles some new must/wine. Give it a try.

Actually, that was the first thing that came to mind when I tested 10 Corso Como. I've got to revisit this one...

Blog Entries

'Boozy' notes are a favourite element in perfumes for me! Most of my 'alcoholic beverage' favourites fall on the 'female' side of the fence but there a few distinctly 'masculine' blends that fit your description as well:

Five Star Fragrance Company Royal Secret For Men
    Gucci Envy For Men - (wine soaked autumn fruit)
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Ava Luxe Forbidden Fruits parfum
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Chanel Egoiste
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Michael Kors Michael For Men
    Serge Lutens Un Cedre
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    Serge Lutens Santal Mysore

Cheers!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I second Pomegranate Noir.

And I third Pom Noir.

Occasionally I get a "red wine" note from M7. Its like red wine that has spilled and dried.

(The bottle is also a very winey colour)