Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain at Walt Disney World/EPCOT

Didn't know where to put this, but since they make more women's fragrances than men's, I'll post it here.

From LaughingPlace.com:
    New Guerlain Boutique in Epcot Features Exclusive Fragrances

Modeled after the Guerlain flagship boutique on the Champs Elysees in Paris, the new Guerlain boutique at Epcot's France pavilion is designed to be a stunning showcase for Guerlain's rich history and the company's current and future offerings.One of only four Guerlain boutiques in the United States, it invites guests to experience limited-edition fragrances and exclusive creations including L'Art et la Matière and Les Parisiennes. L'Art et la Matière is a collection of new fragrances created by outstanding perfumers combining the finest raw ingredients. Les Parisiennes is a collection of vintage fragrances from Guerlain's archives. Elegant and sophisticated, they are each housed in the legendary sculpted bee bottles. In September, Guerlain will introduce Quand Vient La Pluie, an ultra-luxurious, limited-edition fragrance showcased in a Swarovski crystal-decorated perfume bottle.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Guerlain at Walt Disney World/EPCOT

Guess I have another reason to go back to Disney World soon! I haven't been to the Florida version of the House of Mouse in 8 1/2 years (though I have been to Disneyland in California twice in that timeframe).

And since it's at Disney World and not Needless Markup, I won't have to put up with snobby salespeople or cashiers that won't take any credit card unless it has an American Express blue box somewhere on it. Remember, Visa is now the official plastic of Disney (though everything else is still accepted). Still, you'll have to put up with a bunch of crying kids who want to see Mickey Mouse, but I'll take that over Neiman Marcus snobbery anyday.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, my annual pass expires on Monday and I don't think I'll renew. Better make my way over there!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm confused. Has anything changed? These shops have been in existence a long time. More info here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=177417
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I'm confused. Has anything changed? These shops have been in existence a long time.
    Yes, Guerlain has been at Epcot since day 1 of when the park opened in 1982, but the boutique just underwent a major renovation and expansion.

From what I can tell, the main thing that's changed is that it's now a full-fledged Guerlain boutique a la the ones at Bergdorf's in New York and Neiman Marcus's Union Square/San Francisco store. This means that in addition to the well-known (Shalimar, Insolence, Mitsuoko, Vetiver) and slightly less well-known Guerlains like it has always carried, it now carries the limited editions, rereleases, and exclusive niche Guerlain lines that used to only be found in Paris, New York, and San Francisco. Hope that helps!
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much, MFfan. I knew you'd have your finger on the pulse of such things. As I've suggested before--EPCOT would be a fun place for a Basenotes national convention. THUD. THUD. (Those are hints hitting the floor.)

Post Thanks / Like

A Basenotes NATIONAL (as in USA) convention? Oh, the sadness of the thought .... crying copious amounts of Guerlain scented tears!!!!!!!
    So unfair to be so far away!! (more weeping and gnashing of teeth )

:brolly:
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
    A Basenotes NATIONAL (as in USA) convention? Oh, the sadness of the thought .... crying copious amounts of Guerlain scented tears!!!!!!!
    So unfair to be so far away!! (more weeping and gnashing of teeth )

:brolly:
    You could initiate an Australian convention, S. I got about two dozen BNers to meet in Chicago three months ago, and I've got another idea for another get-together.

Post Thanks / Like

Why associate the lowest form of anti-culture with the noble craft of perfumery?
    Horrible.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Why associate the lowest form of anti-culture with the noble craft of perfumery?
    Horrible.
    My thoughts exactly.

I'm back and forth about Epcot. I hate Disney for many reasons, but I do watch a Disney movie on ocassion. And I admit that when I lived in Florida I did get to the parks a couple times. I agree that there is something kind of creepy about Disney and it's not just that they tear up land, fill in waterways, and aid in the disappearance of already rare species such as the Scrubjay. Disney's garish fantasy-land certainly pales in comparison to the skill, elegance, and subtle artistry that is Guerlain.
    Last edited by Artisankey; 2nd September 2007 at 06:00 AM.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As an environmentalist (google my name, Joy Buslaff, and you'll find my work published with the EPA, Wild Ones, Ecological Landscaper Assoc.; I've worked as a trained volunteer for the National Wildlife Federation; my grievance with a Wall Street Journal interview in which I my ecological message was twisted to serve this newspaper's conservative political agenda is profiled in the book The Landscaping Revolution; and I'm pleased to call Lorrie Otto, whom Newsweek dubbed the "godmother of the natural landscaping movement," my friend).

You'd be hard pressed to find many who are more opinionated and active in the preservation and restoration of American species than I. That said, as eco-corruptive as Disney has been, just about every homeowner with a lawn is the same, allowing for proportionality. Could Disney do more to clean up its act? You betcha. My daughter interned and then worked at Disney World, and she pushed for change from the inside and earned an environmental award. DW won't change by our boycotting the joint, it comes when employee after employee and attendee after attendee voices a concern about recycling or land use or goes out of their way to travel to the Disney Wilderness Preserve, supported by park-goer dollars and coordinated with the Nature Conservancy.

The best thing about EPCOT is the people--people from nations around the globe. You can talk to them about their country, our country, and the special skills that delivered them to their stint in America. Whether it's carving, cooking or cologne, these folks provide the value that is EPCOT, which is probably as close as I'm ever going to get to a French Guerlain boutique.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter interned and then worked at Disney World, and she pushed for change from the inside and earned an environmental award. DW won't change by our boycotting the joint, it comes when employee after employee and attendee after attendee voices a concern about recycling or land use or goes out of their way to travel to the Disney Wilderness Preserve, supported by park-goer dollars and coordinated with the Nature Conservancy..
    Well, that's great to hear. I'm glad your daughter was able to help make some changes and glad to hear that they are not completely deaf to those of us who do voice concerns.

The best thing about EPCOT is the people--people from nations around the globe. You can talk to them about their country, our country, and the special skills that delivered them to their stint in America. Whether it's carving, cooking or cologne, these folks provide the value that is EPCOT, which is probably as close as I'm ever going to get to a French Guerlain boutique.
    I wasn't knocking the employees of Disney. I know they work very hard and do their best to make visitors to the parks and resorts feel welcome and pampered. Many of them are incredibly kind and genuine people and I know for a fact that at least 12 years ago they didn't always get great pay or the best of working conditions, as I knew quite a few people who had worked for them. Perhaps, and hopefully, things are different now. Nor is the original creative vision of Walt Disney necessarily evil in any way. All I was saying was that I don't always appreciate the Disney conglomerate as a whole, what it has turned into and what it has come to represent. My bad for not being more clear.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu