Code of Conduct

Default Is there a high quality version of...

So first of all, you people have just ruined me. I used to be satisfied in my innocence with my ordinary designer perfumes that I could get for really cheap on ebay. Xeryus Rouge purchased for $10 for 100mL and replaced for $20, and Zino were the top of the tops.

Now after experiencing Serge Lutens, Montale, Creed, L'Artisan Parfumeur, Guerlain and Hermes, I can't wear a regular designer fragrance without washing it off after twenty minutes. Not even my beloved Xeryus Rouge, Zino or Opium EDP which I still love, in theory at least. So much for $20 for 100ml... So much for new fragrances at all now that I don't have money to throw around!

But in any case, what I'd like to know is if there are any high end quasi clones of Xeryus Rouge or Zino, the way Original Santal is close (yet infinitely superior in every possible way) to Joop, GIT to Cool Water, etc. I hate Joop, but Original Santal blows my mind - if something could be closely related to Xeryus Rouge or Zino or M7, or M7 fresh in the same way, I'd be in heaven!

Also any other very close relatives (and I mean very close, not "it kind of reminds me of") of designers by niche houses, or else high end designers like Hermes I'd love to know about. Particularly anything in my wardrobe! I'd be happy to sell off every designer fragrance that isn't already on my sale list if I could find a high quality version.

Is Oud Pur Oriental a high quality M7? I've tried Aoud Noir and Attar, and I can imagine a heavenly M7 replacement, but there's nowhere locally to try Montale fragrances (if someone knows a store in Montreal, let me know!)
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 30th August 2007 at 01:18 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Default Re: Is there a high quality version of...

I don't know, man; Your wardrobe doesn't look too shabby as it it, imo.

One thing that came to mind is that if you like Pi, you might check out Bois d'Argent...not the same by any means, but in the same realm and definitely worth checking out.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

For me the dry down of Prada is very similar to that of Dzing!

I've pretty much reached the same point as you - there's very few designer frags that captivate me these days. However, whatever you decide, I'd advise you to hold onto your Pi EDP. I still think it's the best woody/vanilla scent I've come across so far.

I can't help you out with your other frags, I'm afraid.

if you want a high quality m7, i suggest just trying high quality pure oud oil, I can supply some at fairly good prices. otherwise I can suggest to you some places to buy it on the net that will not cost you an arm and a leg!

for M7 search for agarwood, though there is nothing low quality about M7. Fragrances are developed by "noses" and the nose that developed M7 may have developed several agarwood scents which were shopped around.

Many say that Bvlgari's au the Vert smells very close to SMW, but I think SMW is much sweeter. I guess it's up to the wearer's interpretation.

Opium, in my experience, is similar but FAR inferior to Diptyque's Eau Lente (which I am wearing right now, and let me tell you, it is spectacular). Definitely look into that. Eau Lente doesn't have all that obnoxious vanilla.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    for M7 search for agarwood, though there is nothing low quality about M7. Fragrances are developed by "noses" and the nose that developed M7 may have developed several agarwood scents which were shopped around.
    oud and agarwood are the same thing. the agarwood used in M7 is in fact of lower quality as far as the range of agarwood is concerned. the highest quality agarwood fetches hundreds of dollars for 3 ml.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    there is nothing low quality about M7.
    Have you smelled Montale's Ouds? Once you smell those then go try some M7 and you'll see what I mean. It's a great idea, and has a great blend of notes, but it just smells cheap in comparison. It also turns icky after awhile the way most designer stuff does - and I mean icky in the cheap way. I don't like the last phases of Serge Lutens' Arabie much, but you can tell that it's quality stuff, vs the M7 smells when it's in it's last phase.

I'd guess there are a lot more synthetic ingredients in it, but either way, I still like it but it's alot less impressive now that I've gotten accustomed to the niche stuff.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Many say that Bvlgari's au the Vert smells very close to SMW, but I think SMW is much sweeter. I guess it's up to the wearer's interpretation.

Opium, in my experience, is similar but FAR inferior to Diptyque's Eau Lente (which I am wearing right now, and let me tell you, it is spectacular). Definitely look into that. Eau Lente doesn't have all that obnoxious vanilla.
    I don't think The Vert and SMW are too similar, but they're both great quality stuff. I like the vanilla in Opium EDP and my favourite part of Opium EDT is the peppery minty notes, but it smells too fake, I can't really wear them anymore. I don't really have any money, but I'll look into Eau Lente when I do! What does it have in common?
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 1st September 2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I don't think The Vert and SMW are too similar, but they're both great quality stuff. I like the vanilla in Opium EDP and my favourite part of Opium EDT is the peppery minty notes, but it smells too fake, I can't really wear them anymore. I don't really have any money, but I'll look into Eau Lente when I do! What does it have in common?
    It's basically the intense spice that both contain that make Eau Lente and Opium similiar to me. However, Opium is heavier on the peppery/spicy style of spice, and has a much stronger sweet platform that provides a recognizable foundation throughout the evolution of the scent. The spices simply fade and you are left with synthetic smelling vanilla (I'm very sensitive to vanilla, so it may or may not be as bad as I make it out to be).

Eau Lente features spices that you would expect to be sweetened (opoponax, cinnamon, clove, possibly myrrh), but for the most part, they stand alone, with the help of some subtle ambery musk, which blends in with but does not replace the spice as the scent dries...the drydown is not unlike the drydown of Musc Ravaguer. The topnotes remind me of a more edible version of L'Air du Desert Marocain. Obviously, I get great evolution from this one.

Anyhow, the two are similar in that they both start spicy and fade to sweet, but Eau Lente takes a less brash approach to the whole process, and smells unflinchingly natural.

PS you might try requesting samples over Diptyque's website (in the "forum" section).
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd September 2007 at 02:07 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Many think that Guerlain Heritage has some similarities to Zino.

I have also read that some compare it to Mouchoir de Monsieur, but I don't see it.

Dependent

Is this guy still lookin? I really like vintage Zino -- wearing it now! (Never tried the new formulation.) I find Jicky EdP to be similar, but with less rose and rosewood.