Code of Conduct

Default Dsquared² He Wood

DSQUARED² HE WOOD
    Perfumer: Daphne Bugey ( other frags: Trussardi Inside Woman, Kenzo Amour, Silk Touch & Max Mara )

Inspired by the designers’ birthplace in Ontario, Canada, He Wood features notes of cedarwood, white fir and violet leaves. In keeping with the wood theme, the square-shaped flacon is framed in Canadian red alder wood. The notes include white spruce, amber, musk, violet leaves and blossoms, aquatic accord, vetiver and cedar...

“The fragrance is not lumberjack; it’s woodsy. It’s really about our story of being born in Canada and creating in Italy. It’s so personal,” said Dan.

He Wood is the first Dsquared2 fragrance produced under license by Italian fragrance manufacturer ITF, and will be followed up with a Dsquared2 women’s scent by fall 2008. The scent will be sold exclusively in the new Dsquared2 store from September, and rolled out to Europe and the U.K. from October. It is expected to hit U.S. counters from April 2008.

German infos: http://www.cosmoty.de/news/1854/

More infos ?
    Last edited by sanatik; 30th August 2007 at 02:40 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Dsquared² He Wood

Yes, us members of the Daphne Bugey Fan Club are anticipating this release. She kind of wow'd me, with what she did for Rose 31 by Le Labo.

A previous thread that discuused He Wood is here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198066

I don't know if there is a DSquared store here in South Florida, so it might be a while before I smell it.

i didn´t recognized your posting mikeperez23 until now.

i am trying to test it too but couldn´t find it here in germany until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    He Wood? What will they call the women's version, She Wet?
    haha :--)
    Last edited by sanatik; 15th October 2007 at 04:51 PM.

I got a free decant of this last week, I thought it was pretty good smelling and lasted pretty long. I'll need to try it out more though.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron01 View Post
    I got a free decant of this last week, I thought it was pretty good smelling and lasted pretty long. I'll need to try it out more though.
    Is it a autumn/winter scent? Is it formal or casual? Prominent wood notes? If so, is it cedar notes or sequoia notes or something else? Longevity?

Can you tell I'm excited??
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is it a autumn/winter scent? Is it formal or casual? Prominent wood notes? If so, is it cedar notes or sequoia notes or something else? Longevity?

Can you tell I'm excited??
    Haha, I think it could work as a year round scent, it's definitely more casual, ceder notes are pretty prominent, as are the ozoonic and aquatic notes, also some vetiver in the drydown. Longevity is pretty high, I rated it in the 12-24 hour range on my wardrobe. It's not a very heavy frag, but the sillage seems to be pretty good. Nice change from most of the 2006/07 releases I've smelled. The bottle is also very nice.

I've only tried this on the skin once and on a paper strip once, so I'd need some more time to really evaluate it. So far I think it's a pretty good frag, reminds me of Jack Black Black Mark a bit. It's not anything revolutionary or something that's really different from a lot of other frags though.

On the package it has all of the different notes, they are as follows:

Air
    Silver Fir
    Vegetal Amber
    Musk

Water
    Violet Leaves
    Violet Blossom
    Transparant Accord-Watery

Wood
    Vetiver
    Cedar Wood

Olfactive Family - Woody Vetiver
    Last edited by Aaron01; 15th October 2007 at 06:30 PM.

I posted about this a month ago when it hit the shelves here in Canada.

Super smooth opening like Cerruti Si with a nice transition to airy vetiver, like Encre Noire. Fun, playful, anytime.

To my nose, nicer than TFFM, NRFH, CKMAN or any other of the fall bumper crop of mundane fragrance options.

What's nice about it is that it stays bright and airy, and just a bit soapy all the way through.

Mario
    Last edited by mariodefior; 17th October 2007 at 02:29 AM.

Basenotes Institution

An 'airy vetiver' sounds so...strange. This term makes me think of Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons. Is there any similarities to Vettiveru with HW?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

HE WOOD?? Are they serious??!
    The scent itself sounds intriguing... but the name HE-WOOD?
    It reminds me of those tacky but hilarious terms used in the "Deuce Bigalow" films.
    Terms like "MAN-GINA" and the like.

Maybe im just in a junvenile mood this morning *takes another sip of his red cordial*...

In all honesty, if I had to buy anything from this fall's selection thus far, it would be this.

None of the notes - top, middle or bottom - disappoint, unlike so many others. That soapy note (think Cerruti Si, Prada Amber) is present to the end, which lightens an otherwise pungent vetiver/cedar heart and finish. That explains why I call it airy.

What's different about the fragrance is that it (purportedly) combines air, water and earth, instead of the regular top, middle, bottom transition. And it delivers.

Whatever the case, and as I mentioned in a previous post, the twins did their job and had a really fresh and woody fragrance concocted for them.

I personally prefer it by far to Tom's (very citronelle), Calvin's (very been there guaic wood), and Narciso's (very patchouli) recent offerings, but that's just me.

Chances are I'll probably give you a whole other story a month from now.

Mario

Mario

I don't really find anything special in it.. it strikes me as something along the lines of the old green Lucky Man bottle. Nothing terribly unique to me.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Where is this available to sniff in the US?

I thought this wouldn't be out Stateside until spring 2008, or was it launched early?
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Basenotes Institution

I think only at US DSqaured boutiques/stores...not sure where those are?

-- Eckhart Tolle

The one and only Dsquared2 flagship store is in Milan. So guess one's gotta look at normal perfume counters...

Wink Re: Dsquared² He Wood

It's exclusive to Holt Renfrew here in Canada until 2008 where it goes worldwide (maybe available in Italy now as well).

The twins being from Canada signed with Holts for a pre-distribution this year.

Sincerely good, easy beasy, fresh and airy with a twinge of earthiness.

Do you all remember Bazaar or Cerruti Si? That plus a good shot of grass...

Ok guys, smelled this yesterday at sephora.
    Definitely a thumbs up for the two canadese twins. The scent had a very nice package with that woody frame, simple yet outstanding.
    The juice is a very pleasant mild wood. Expecting a power scent, I've been suprised to discover how gentle this one is, smooth and interesting made so well round and ethereal by what to my nose seemed to be a nice angelica root note, that hear guys, even reminded me for some aspects of l'Eau d'hiver. The lasting power is ok, but don't expect much projection from it: this is a more intimate fragrance staying close to the skin.
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 23rd October 2007 at 10:04 AM.

Basenotes Institution

OK, I tried it today (thanks Robbie) - and I'm kind of disappointed in it.

I appreciate a light and minimalist fragrance, if I like the actual scent. He Wood's purported 'air' notes are a little too aquatic/ozonic for my tastes - I couldn't get past the initial impression Robbie made in a previous post about that Lucky fragrance, which I don't like at all.

The aquatic/ozonic note is tempered in the middle notes by the vetiver wood notes but they are light,light,light...perhaps its a skin chemistry thing but this was downright Tom Ford for Men-ish on me (almost gone in about 45 minutes). I applied 4 more sprays about two hours after the initial application. Same thing: deep aquatic note (when I sniffed it too early I got a nose full of alcohol and the gentle similarity to Curve by Liz Claiborne...but it faded) and then light woods.

Disappointing.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th November 2007 at 08:57 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hear, hear.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    HE WOOD?? Are they serious??!
    The scent itself sounds intriguing... but the name HE-WOOD?
    It reminds me of those tacky but hilarious terms used in the "Deuce Bigalow" films.
    Terms like "MAN-GINA" and the like.

Maybe im just in a junvenile mood this morning *takes another sip of his red cordial*...

Cringer became the mighty BattleCat and I became He-Wood, the most powerful wood in the Universe!! Only three others share this secret, our friends the Sorceress, Man-at-Arms, and Orko. Together, we defend Castle Greyskull from the evil forces of Skeletor!!

Picked up a sample at Holt in Montreal. Wore yesterday and was very impressed. True to its description, it's light, airy and woody. Pleasant and forceful at the same time. The initial Violet is quite sensual. Wish it would last longer as it morphs to the Vetiver/air accord that goes on forever. A light cedar comes in for the finale. Excellent progression/sillage. Need to get my hands on a bottle (or box!)
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Article on the scent and the twins in Globe & Mail, Canada's newspaper: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...query=dsquared

-- Eckhart Tolle

Anything new about Dsquared HeWood ?

Sorry to bump up an old thread.

But for you Americans like I who have been anxiously awaiting to sniff this scent, it will (finally) be out this September at Nordstrom, Saks, and Sephora, along with She Wood, its new sister scent for women.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Basenotes Institution

I wish THEY WOOD smell better. I was extremely disappointed when I sampled He Wood. The marine/ozonic accord in it stuck out like a fly in the ointment. Blech!

-- Eckhart Tolle

That's terrible, I own it and love it. I'm not a fan of synthetic marine/ozone notes. But I feel the one in He Wood is muted, and blended well, it is like being on the edge of a lake in a 'dream' forest. Cool, damp, violet plants to the side, with cut down dried cedar trees around me. It then dries down to just the cedar trees with a musky smell.
    Last edited by Vivek; 17th May 2008 at 10:36 PM.

I own and love it also. It may be the use of violet but it just strikes a note with me that I just can't describe. A sure compliment getter for me. I definitely overpaid by purchasing it from hqhair.com, but it's been worth every penny. I'm almost saddened it's going to be released in the US because I feel it will be very popular and I won't stand out in the crowd any more. Time will tell ...

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    I own and love it also. It may be the use of violet but it just strikes a note with me that I just can't describe. A sure compliment getter for me. I definitely overpaid by purchasing it from hqhair.com, but it's been worth every penny. I'm almost saddened it's going to be released in the US because I feel it will be very popular and I won't stand out in the crowd any more. Time will tell ...
    It won't be popular, atleast, I don't think so. In the Harvey Nichols in Birmingham, I was the first person to buy a bottle, and they've had a tester out for nearly a month and a half. And this is a store where niches such as Anvers 2 was sold out :O

I just went for dinner today at a mall near my university campus. (very very suburban and up-country) The fragrance department had Dsquared's He Wood up for sampling and for sale. Quite surprised to find it here!

*Spray spray*... *Sniff* Underwhelming! It smelled like a very violet-ey and muted 212 Men. Aquatic, but not quite. This was on paper though. I will have to try again next week on my skin to see how it really is.
    Last edited by moltening; 18th May 2008 at 02:53 PM.

In my experience it was very woody! Perhaps Cedar or something else, but it was a light fresh woody scent, like Tumulte without sourness or a lighter Gucci pour homme.
    Last edited by msi_21; 19th May 2008 at 09:51 AM.

Talked to the Clarins Fragrance Group rep yesterday. (Clarins distributes ITF's fragrances such as Canali, Roberto Cavalli, Gianfranco Ferre, and now Dsquared², in the States).

As someone who's been anxiously awaiting the US release of this, I'm happy to break the news that the wait is almost over for us here in the US: she said that He Wood (and She Wood, too) should be out sometime next month, at Saks, Nordstrom, Sephora, and Von Maur. Expect more points of sale in 2009, as Dsquared² is a hot fashion house right now.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 18th September 2008 at 02:08 PM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

This is available at Saks locations... I received samples of both womens and mens (He-Wood and She-Wood).

Hate to say it, but nothing special. Not bad, but well within the 'clean-to-lightly-spicy/woody' genre of every other male fragrance released in 2008. Not unlike Versace Pour Homme... not strong enough to detect the published basenotes.

I've been waiting for this since I first tried it out in Montreal last October. I was suprised to see it at Nordstroms on Saturday. Almost broke my moratorium on new purchases policy outright. Still, it's on my radar to pick up soon. There's something very unique about this one that hits a lot of sweet spots for me. Smells nothing like Versace PH to me.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Psssssttt! Hey...(whispering) rjrober is selling a 100ml bottle of HE WOOD for a great price over on the sale board.

Picked this up at Nordstrom's a couple days ago. My second 3.4 oz. bottle since my first (which I bought from a UK website ) is down to a few precious sprays.

I really love this frag. It just works for me ... BUT ... you must like violet to enjoy it. It's definitely the most dominant note.

It's rather similar to Narciso Rodriguez PH, probably thanks to the prominent violet note.

Sur la Plage

I tried this at Nordstrom yesterday. It has a very nice cedar opening. That's about all I can say positive about it. IMO, the sillage and longevity were rather poor on this one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread