Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 361 to 420 of 709
  1. #361
    Jimi Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fragrance Heaven
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    I will try not to order fragrances from now on. I will go to Sephora in the mall. You find all designer and some niche fragrances there. Ordering or what you call "bling buying" sucks.

    Jimi Hendrix

  2. #362

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    As much as everyone on here recommends that place, I was always skeptical about it. I mean.. odds are they have 1-2 bottles of older frags.. many more expensive indeed, and their customer base is probably just those of base notes. They don't look like a reputable site to me. When I decide I wanna try one of these fragrances that aren't marketed in the US, I'll go to that part of the country myself. Another reason why I stick with fragrances within arms reach of me.. in other words.. I really have no intentions of getting into these higher priced fragrances.

    I'll stick with my Fahrenheit's, my Corduroy's and my Diesel's. And while it may make me look premature here on basenotes.. they suit me just fine.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 1st April 2010 at 09:51 AM.

  3. #363

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    I have had no problems with TPC. They provide a great service. I have purchased many samples from them. Now on the other hand, I have tried several "stale" testers at shopping malls and department stores. That is where I would beware!

  4. #364

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    So 4 fragrances out of 300...thats a satisfaction rate of 98.67%, hardly a reason to initiate a thread warning others about the service/site. It would be better to just email them and sort it out.
    Exactly. This is a problem that should have been dealt with between the OP and the company itself.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  5. #365

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    As much as everyone on here recommends that place, I was always skeptical about it. I mean.. odds are they have 1-2 bottles of older frags.. many more expensive indeed, and their customer base is probably just those of base notes. They don't look like a reputable site to me. When I decide I wanna try one of these fragrances that aren't marketed in the US, I'll go to that part of the country myself. Another reason why I stick with fragrances within arms reach of me.. in other words.. I really have no intentions of getting into these higher priced fragrances.

    I'll stick with my Fahrenheit's, my Corduroy's and my Diesel's. And while it may make me look premature here on basenotes.. they suit me just fine.
    TPC is a very reputable company, one that provides a valuable service and does so in a professional manner. I have ordered over 200 samples and decants and I have never had a single problem. It saddens me to see people that have not yet done business with TPC slagging the company off.

    *please try to proof-read your posts before posting, what you have written above makes no sense whatsoever.*
    Last edited by surreality; 1st April 2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  6. #366

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    I have ordered about 200 samples from them. Two defects along the way (one defective atomizer, one broken vial), both quickly resolved by communication.

    I don't get the negative posts on TPC here.

  7. #367

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    TPC is a very reputable company, one that provides a valuable service and does so in a professional manner. I have ordered over 200 samples and decants and I have never had a single problem. It saddens me to see people that have not yet done business with TPC slagging the company off.

    *please try to proof-read your posts before posting, what you have written above makes no sense whatsoever.*
    It makes no sense yet you were able to reply? Strange..but allow me to clarify to help you understand.. "arms reach" being a figure of speech - meaning close to me. Speaking fragrances - meaning I can basically find them anywhere. Understand?

    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/The_Perfumed_Court
    Two unsatisfied customers out of two reviews. Not very accommodating to say a non-basenoter.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 1st April 2010 at 12:25 PM.

  8. #368
    foetidus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Great North Woods
    Posts
    4,374

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    So 4 fragrances out of 300...thats a satisfaction rate of 98.67%, hardly a reason to initiate a thread warning others about the service/site. It would be better to just email them and sort it out.
    +2

    I have ordered over seven hundred products from them, and I have never had a problem. I for one think we are very lucky to have such conscientious and diligent suppliers of rare, difficult to find fragrances. This complaint should have been taken up with the ladies of the Perfume Court - it is unfair to people who have for years provided a unique and extremely helpful fragrance business.

  9. #369

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Well I shouldn't really jump to conclusions, but I will say that I have no need to purchase these frags.

  10. #370
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,013

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    I have never had a problem with them. They are a top notch business IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  11. #371
    ubuandibeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chesterton, Indiana
    Posts
    4,192

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Actually, The Perfumed Court is one of my first sources for purchasing any samples or decants. Top notch for sure! NEVER a problem in any way.

  12. #372
    neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,343

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I didn't want to have to do this, and I tried convincing myself it wasn't true, but some of the fragrances that are decanted at theperfumedcourt.com tend to have lost their top notes, and sometimes the middle notes altogether.

    For example, I have decants of Narciso Rodriguez, Fleur du Male, Angeliques sous la Pluie and Kyoto from TPC, and they all have considerably less top and middle notes than they should. I even tested them out side by side compared to official samples and full bottles.

    My Fleur du Male decant from TPC smells solely of orange blossom, jasmine and musk, with absolutely no powdery notes (iris) (or that typical candied opening that you experience when sprayed from the bottle). Furthermore, my decant of Angeliques sous la Pluie from TPC has a massive amount of cedar, and almost only cedar, while my bottle smells more like geranium and angelica, drying down to cedar hours later.

    On the other hand, some of their other stock seems to be solid. I guess it's only natural you lose some top notes when decanting a fragrance.

    Anyhoo, buyer beware.


    I would have addressed this first with TPC, wait on their response, before presenting this on Basenotes. Perhaps that is what you did?

  13. #373

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    never had any problems with them

  14. #374
    Smeghead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    354

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    So 4 fragrances out of 300...thats a satisfaction rate of 98.67%, hardly a reason to initiate a thread warning others about the service/site. It would be better to just email them and sort it out.
    Agreed. 300 happy samples from them and you're freaking out over 4? Come on...you're being a drama queen. Maybe they sent you some old juice, unfortunately this stuff happens. You can't expect them to crack open a brand new fresh-off-the-production-line bottle for every decant or sample, can you? Just email back saying you're unsatisfied and i'm sure they'll refund or exchange them.
    Last edited by Smeghead; 1st April 2010 at 01:57 PM.

  15. #375

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA!
    Posts
    394

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Sometimes when you apply from samples the way you put on the drops changes the way a fragrance can smell.

    Might not be their fault, just a misconception! :O
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

  16. #376
    rickbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    It`s a very unfair attitude to open a thread to defame it basing on your perception that the decants doesn`t seem fresh. You should have at first contacted them and tried to have a refund or a swap. And your conclusion is based on your nose, how can you prove that they aren`t fresh just comparing with another bottle? I don`t know, but I think if, for example, if you had sold something here you wouldn`t like to have a negative feedback regarding a problem that it wasn`t even passed to you so you could resolve it first. Vary unfair and could even cause a litigation since you`re accusing the company of something that you haven`t scientifically proven.

  17. #377

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    So 4 fragrances out of 300...thats a satisfaction rate of 98.67%, hardly a reason to initiate a thread warning others about the service/site. It would be better to just email them and sort it out.
    That's not a valid statistic, as those 4 fragrances are the only ones I've "checked" and "noticed" a difference in. Further comparisons (which I haven't done) could show more, or no other, differences in their other fragrances. I said that above. Zztopp, I think you need to start actually reading my posts instead of skimming through them and then insulting me. You've done this before and I think it's cute.

    To everyone else who's pissed off about this thread, please, take it easy. I didn't contact TPC because I don't want a refund or exchange. I don't want to ruin their business either. This thread is simply informative, with no ulterior motives. Read what I wrote - I like TPC. God forbid someone state something honest on here without getting shot down and crucified.

    If anyone is going to reply to this post in some derogatory way, have fun, as I won't be participating in this thread anymore. I've said what I had to and I think the motives are now clear.
    Sales thread here

  18. #378

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I didn't contact TPC because I don't want a refund or exchange. I don't want to ruin their business either. This thread is simply informative, with no ulterior motives. Read what I wrote - I like TPC. God forbid someone state something honest on here without getting shot down and crucified.
    Whether or not you want a refund or an exchange, you brought this issue to our attention. The least you should do is contact TPC and give them a chance to rectify the situation and salvage their reputation.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 2nd April 2010 at 03:22 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  19. #379

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    I've been unable to place TPC orders for a while now. When I finalise, the next pages brings up some red text saying there was an 'error' with the form details. I go to check my bank details, and it debits then credits the account a few days later.

    I've tried a different credit card number, as well as created a new account. I'm in Australia and I use Visa debit.

    Anyone else totally unable to place an order?

  20. #380

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    I frequently order samples from TPC. No significant problems to date. They really are indispensable. I agree with previous posts regarding vials versus spray samples. From my experience, the dab on vials can occassionaly be "flat" compared to the spray on samples. I noticed this with GIT when I compared a TPC sample to a subsequent full bottle purchase. But this experience has been the exception. All in all, this is a fine company that I will continue to turn to for my sample purchases (especially niche samples).

  21. #381

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    So 4 fragrances out of 300...thats a satisfaction rate of 98.67%, hardly a reason to initiate a thread warning others about the service/site. It would be better to just email them and sort it out.
    Yes. Why air an (admittedly minor) grievance here instead of with TPC?
    Last edited by actiasluna; 20th May 2010 at 02:58 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

  22. #382

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    Good service and quick to respond. No problems with TPC at all.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

  23. #383

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    My experience with TPC has been fine, no problems at all. I would suggest ordering atomizer size samples if your samples seem "flat"...

    I have to give props too to Rei Rien, who promptly sent me a replacement (a twist cap bottle and a new atomizer!) for a MKK atomizer decant that had leaked all but about a .25 ml. These two are wonderful sources for samples and for decants!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

  24. #384
    WoodyBois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Posts
    56
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    My messages all blanked out, by me, after the fact, because chickenfreak won't shut up and responds to every damn word in every damn poist. Goodbye. Piss off.
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 21st June 2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: BECAUSE CHICKENFREAK IS A FREAK.,

  25. #385
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,437

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    My only issue with The Perfumed Court is shipping - they ship 1st class and charge what I think ,is too much for 1st class. And their shipping can be slow sometimes.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  26. #386
    Moderator
    Sugandaraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    6,760

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    I think TPC is a place to shop selectively, for things that are impossible to get otherwise, suoer-expensive fragrances where a small decant is all that you can afford, and the occasional awesome deal that shows up. And awesome deals do show up time to time. They were selling Caron decants at a price one third what Caron charges - you can't ask for better than that, especially for parfum.

  27. #387
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,437

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    Agree with Suga- there are some fab deals if you look carefully on the website and sign up for their monthly newsletter.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  28. #388

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyBois View Post
    Their prices are obscene..
    I disagree. I think that their prices look too low to make much of a profit. This worries me, because I want them to stick around.

    This is a business, not someone pulling some money out of their perfume collection at a break-even price or a loss, giving their labor away for free. It can't reasonably be compared with private individuals who are doing just that.

    Their prices need to cover:

    - The perfume.
    - The website.
    - Taxes.
    - The investment in the stock.
    - Spoilage
    - Materials for making the decants.
    - Space, lights, power, insurance, etc.
    - Labor, labor, labor, and labor. For buying, storing, decanting, shipping, everything.
    - And probably a dozen other business expenses that I haven't thought of.

    They generally only charge about double the retail price per millimiter for the perfume. I don't understand how they survive with such a low markup.

    That doesn't mean that they aren't expensive, it just means that they're not gouging. The very nature of what they're doing - buying something retail and re-selling it in a very high-labor fashion - means that of course the product is going to be more expensive than retail. How could it not be?

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyBois View Post
    A decant less than full size, should never cost more than a bottle.
    Well, sure it should. Again, they need to make a profit. They didn't get the perfume for free. To me, it's perfectly logical for a decant that's half the size of a full bottle, to sell for the price of a full bottle. I'm not a charity to which they should donate perfume at their own expense and using their own unpaid labor. If I want the full bottle at the full bottle price, and it's available, it's my job to go find one.

    If I can easily and reliably get something cheaper, I will. But quite often easy, reliable, trustworthy, and fairly expensive works just fine for me, and then I happily order from the Perfumed Court.

  29. #389
    WoodyBois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Posts
    56
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    My messages all blanked out, by me, after the fact, because chickenfreak won't shut up and responds to every damn word in every damn post. Goodbye. Piss off.
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 21st June 2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: BECAUSE 'CHICKENFREAK' IS A FREAK

  30. #390
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,437

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    The Posh Peasant has lower prices in some cases but less choice. Plus Posh Peasant's shipping is even more expensive and still goes 1st class. I use both - I think it's about being selective.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st June 2010 at 07:06 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  31. #391
    WoodyBois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Posts
    56
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    My messages all blanked out, by me, after the fact, because chickenfreak won't shut up and responds to every damn word in every damn post. Goodbye. Piss off.
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 21st June 2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: BECAUSE CHICKENFREAK IS A FREAK.

  32. #392

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    Seriously expensive!! Great services, but they are taking advantage of the situation. Period.

  33. #393

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyBois View Post
    ... but the prices DO scale UP which is strange..
    My experience has always been that the larger decant is the same price per milliliter, or a tiny bit less. I'm not denying your experience, but I'm inclined to assume that it's an error on their part - maybe a failure to apply price adjustments to all sizes of a product. I'm assuming that you are talking about decants in all cases, rather than the partially filled original bottles? I would expect to pay a bonus for an original bottle.
    Last edited by ChickenFreak; 21st June 2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Broken quote.

  34. #394

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    Seriously expensive!! Great services, but they are taking advantage of the situation. Period.
    Again: _Labor_. And other costs.

    I'm seriously puzzled at the people who assume that the pricing should be, apparently, some tiny markup over the cost of the raw materials. When people go to a restaurant and pay fifteen dollars for a pasta dish that represents a dollar's worth of food, they realize that that markup is about labor, and rent, and heat, and equipment, and lights, and insurance, and so on.

    If cooks and waiters and restaurant landlords aren't expected to feed people for free, why should the people at The Perfumed Court be expected to perfume people for free? Perfume isn't even a necessity, the way that food is.

    I'm increasingly reminded of a mailing list that I used to participate in, that was largely populated by custom seamstresses. They constantly ran into customers with the "pin money" preconception - the idea that the little women were whipping up clothes in their spare time (in between eating bonbons) and should be grateful to get any payment at all.

    People providing a service should be paid for their labor.

  35. #395

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    [QUOTE=WoodyBois;1863993]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Look at the prices at The Posh Peasant and you will see the prices are lower across the board. (not to mention Luckyscent.)
    Are you referring to LuckyScent's sample prices? That isn't a meaningful comparison - LuckyScent's samples are available in the hope that you'll buy a bottle. The profit comes with the _bottle_ sale; they don't have to make a profit on the samples. I assume that LuckyScent probably takes a substantial loss on those samples.

    I assume that you're not referring to LuckyScent's bottle prices - LuckyScent is a retailer, and therefore I have no doubt that they buy their stock at wholesale. I doubt that The Perfumed Court is able to get much of their stock at wholesale.

  36. #396
    WoodyBois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Posts
    56
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    [QUOTE=ChickenFreak;1864378]
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyBois View Post

    Are you referring to LuckyScent's sample prices? That isn't a meaningful comparison - LuckyScent's samples are available in the hope that you'll buy a bottle. The profit comes with the _bottle_ sale; they don't have to make a profit on the samples. I assume that LuckyScent probably takes a substantial loss on those samples.

    I assume that you're not referring to LuckyScent's bottle prices - LuckyScent is a retailer, and therefore I have no doubt that they buy their stock at wholesale. I doubt that The Perfumed Court is able to get much of their stock at wholesale.
    OK,.. THAT'S ENOUGH ON THAT SUBJECT.

    CHICKENFREAK, GET A LIFE. YOU DON'T NEED TO RESPOND TO EVERY WORD IN EVERY POST. THEY ARE OPINIONS.,
    YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME FIGHTING OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS.
    THINK ABOUT THE GULF. HAITI, BAD HAIRCUTS.

    THERE ARE BIGGER ISSUES IN THIS WORLD. THIS IS TURNING INTO A FLAME WAR,.

    THERE I JUST BLANKED OUT ALL MY PREVIOUS POSTS, NO ONE HERE CAN STAND ANYONE ELSE HAVING AN OPINION....

    IF YOU LOVE THEM SO MUCH THEN LOVELY.

    I CAN'T STAND LITTLE PEOPLE WHO SPEND TIME WRITING TREATISE' ON ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHEN THERE IS SO MUCH STRIFE IN THIS WORLD. LOOK AT YOUR STUPID CHAIN OF CONSECUTIVE POSTS.

    JEEZ.

    GOT AN OPINION MUCH?
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 21st June 2010 at 07:24 PM.

  37. #397
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,785

    Default Re: Perfumed Court - Very Expensive !

    This thread has made its point many times over and has now turned into a snipefest.

  38. #398

    Thumbs up My mini review of the perfumed court.

    I am relatively new to basenotes and discovered a few niche brands and a place to buy samples; the perfumed court.

    I picked up to by Kilians fragrances and Le Lobo Rose 31. I must say I was very skeptical of this business model and he need for it at first. But after learning that niche brands do exist outside of Saks I decided on taking the risk.
    My first take on the perfumed court was that the website database of different fragrances was quite impressive, but the website itself lacked good usability. I found I had to learn how to use their website to find my fragrance and stumbled a little bit. The prices seemed quite high, so high that I added some samples to my cart, and had to think about it a couple of times before committing to try this company.

    3 sample sized fragrances with atomizers cost me about $60 with shipping. I am glad I tried them out, and after buying from them I would do it again as they had a pretty decent service. It was odd that the 3 bottles shipped among 2 different packages. It is hardly an efficient was to do business, but I later read that 3 perfumed princesses lived in different states. One bottle of the Rose 31 was about 7/8 full, while the 2 by kilian were somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 full. These little bottles did not have an overcap to protect them from dispensing in route, but the package had a nice presentation including a little piece of not so common but delicious candy. Each bottle of cologne was well labeled with a professional label that properly identified it, which I did not perceive looking at the decant supplies.

    After smelling these fragrances they all smelled fresh and had great longevity. After trying these out I wanted to buy 2 of 3 of the full size bottles, and my wife only liked one of them for me. In a way spending 60 with the perfumed court saved me from spending over a 140 with the by kilian sample pack which shamefully requires you to reuse a sprayer among all their samples. Talk about cross scent contamination! And it saved me from having to buy a sample size from Le Lobo's website to try Rose 31, by killian isn't even for sale at Saks in my area. I would have never had the opportunity to even try these 3 frequently recommended fragrances had it not been for a decanting company.
    Last edited by Thurnau; 28th June 2010 at 12:30 PM.

  39. #399

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    I've pretty much been able to get samples of everything I've ever wanted with a combination of store visits, swaps, and in some rare cases, purchases from BN members or company websites. Ie, i've gone through around 200+ samples of various things and never had to order from them, but I hear it's a good service and while a small market, it's pretty strong.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 30th June 2010 at 04:23 AM.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

    HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...


    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

  40. #400
    adonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    3,514

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    TPC is expensive, but it's one of the most convenient ways of testing perfumes that aren't readily available as samples. The best deal is the 1.5ml sized spray decant - it's enough to test the frag, but not enough to get depressed over the purchase if you don't like it.

  41. #401
    Frag Bomb Squadron XIII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,545

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    Odd that your bottles did not have caps on. I have ordered many decants from them and each one is properly taped up, with the cap intact. No evidence of spillage en route whatsoever and I'm located halfway around the globe. I agree their prices are steep but not excessively so considering their business model. Since I have never found a need for full bottles, TPC found a regular customer in me. They have even replaced an order free of charge when a package was lost in transit. Now THAT's what I call 'customer service'.

  42. #402
    Point Blank
    Guest

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    I think you are misconstruing what L'Aventurier is saying.

    He's not saying that TPC's customer service is bad. Hence he would prove zero by contacting them for compensation. He's saying that there might be reason to suspect that TPC samples don't correctly represent how the fragrances would smell from the commercial bottle, which you have no way of knowing unless you actually sit down and do the comparison. In fact, he's explicitly stating that this could be the result of decanting as such, as opposed to being a fault of TPC. I think it's a perfectly valid point to make.

    That being said, I've used the TPC service (like everybody else I haven't had any customer service problems which is irrelevant to this thread) and I've tested a few of the samples with department store testers and I couldn't spot a difference. Subtle differences, I think, are unavoidable anyways due to different production batches, warehouse conditions, reformulations, application procedure, nose mood of the day, etc. In fact, any difference between a TPC sample and a department store tester could very well be attributed to any of these causes. I can see how subtle differences can subtly increase/decrease appreciation but I cannot see how it would have any significant impact and for me that's the only thing that's important.

    By the way, I think TPC provides a unique and very valuable service.

  43. #403

    Default Re: Buyer Beware - The Perfumed Court (dot) Com

    One should always keep in mind that a decant does come from a bottle that must be somehow opened for decanting, or the decant is sprayed into the sample vial from a sprayer bottle.

    Especially natural citrus top notes evaporate extremely quickly, that is just their normal unavoidable volatility. Any contact with air can affect a scent, just think of decanting wine.
    The only way to avoid loss of top notes is to buy unopened items, no matter whether a full bottle or sample. Depending on how fast the content of the original bottle is being sold, the remaining juice is in touch with air as well and might start to oxidize too. A lot of tester bottles that stay in a store for a longer time with only a rest of scent in them "turn".
    I would say that buying a decant does always include the risk of a minimal change of the perfume.

  44. #404

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    TPC is particularly great for testing samples of stuff you'd never find in the department store: vintage perfumes like Mitsouko or Chanel 19 or Rochas Femme, stuff that's unavailable except perhaps, through the kind hearts and collections of basenoters. They're fast and reliable. I also think the tester packages they put together are fabulous -- spicy orientals, chypres, etc., as a resource for learning. I'd recommend them without hesitation.

    (oh, and my gf digs the free candy.)

  45. #405

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    I've bought from them a couple times and I'm very pleased. I will probably buy from them again in the future. Everything I purchased came promptly, was well-packaged and was clearly-labeled. As for the criticisms I've heard, here's my view:

    1. Expense: Yes, it's probably a pretty expensive way to shop if buying large amounts for daily wear, but quite reasonable for small samples, especially for things you aren't going to find at Sephora or Macy's.

    2. Spoilage/wrong fragrance: My experience is limited, but all the fragrances I received (9 total in 2 separate orders) appeared to be in good shape, and all more or less smelled as I expected them to, or at least were in line with a composite of written descriptions from people whose opinions I value. The one buy I have made based on a TPC sample (a new bottle in shrink-wrapped factory packaging from a reputable seller) matched the TPC decant.

    Their website is vast and entertaining, and the selection is gigantic. I would second the recommendation for the 1.5oz spray vials. They're usually fairly cheap, even for exotic things, and it's enough juice to spray once or twice in the air or on a strip, a couple of evenings of wrist evaluation, and one full-on all-day trial run.

  46. #406
    BayKAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    I love hte Perfumed Court. I think I've send around $300 their way by now. Ouch. BUT.... i've had much fun sniffing. (MOst recently I bought three discontinued fragrances that are just stunning)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

  47. #407
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,437

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    Like Baykat- I love TPC - yes they are expensive and yes, they ship from 3 different locations and sometimes shipping is quite slow but their choice is great so I am happy. I have also spent 3 figures on their website.
    I do wish sometimes ,that they would offer bigger decants for more fragrances...........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  48. #408
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,013

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    I love TPC also. Never had a problem with them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  49. #409

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    More love for TPC. Expensive yes, but you get a very large selection, very fast, and excellent customer service.

  50. #410
    Evangeline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Angers, France
    Posts
    5,720

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    I like them too and I use them a lot, but I do get irritated when I see the price for some things - $11 for .5 mls is maddening! I just won't pay that, but that's a choice I make. I'm happy to spend that same $11 on 2.5 mls of just about anything.

    I get a knot in my stomach every time I come upon my order history page, but I try not to linger there too long - I really just don't want to know how much I've spent there in the last three years or so.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

  51. #411
    Moderator
    Kiliwia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,409

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    I love The Perfumed Court! I've always had excellent service and have never received a decant that smells off, like I have with a couple of other places. The only thing I would change, is that I wish they would send the packages UPS or FedEx instead of USPS. I don't like them left in the mailbox on a hot day. Be careful though, I have found ordering from TPC to be quite addicting, LOL.

  52. #412
    Moderator
    furrypine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    Sign up for their newsletter and become a Facebook friend. Both places they will announce discounts and specially priced items. I make a wishlist on their site and wait to order until I get a discount code.

  53. #413

    Default Re: My mini review of the perfumed court.

    Their service is excellent and the choice of fragrances is amazing. I have ordered from them a few times but I have stopped doing it. I just find them crazy expensive (though not more expensive than other similar sites). You can easily spend the price of a full bottle of a niche fragrance on a handful of samples. I have switched to satisfying my daily sample needs by swapping and occasionally ordering a sample pack from a house I'm really interested in or from a nearby store (Celeste in the Netherlands e.g. gives you 5 1 ml samples for 7.5 EUR, no postage costs). It has saved me a LOT of money. :-)

  54. #414

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,837

    Default A bone to pick with Perfumed Court

    I've been a customer of TPC for a few years. I've probably bought a few hundred samples from them. A while back (year and a half maybe), they switched to different atomizers. Since this switch I've noticed my samples evaporating alarmingly fast. Many of the samples I've bought have totally evaporated while sitting stored in a drawer. From now on, if/when I purchase from them again, I am going to purchase the smallest volume stoppered vials, and no longer purchase atomizer samples from them. Frankly, it's pretty annoying for the price paid to have your samples disappear.

    This only happens with the atomizer samples.

    It's possible that this has been discussed here before; if so, please excuse me for venting.
    Last edited by JonB; 29th August 2010 at 07:08 PM.

  55. #415

    Default Re: A bone to pick with Perfumed Court

    So does this happen with the spray samples or with the non-spray vials?
    Sorry it's not clear to me.

  56. #416

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,837

    Default Re: A bone to pick with Perfumed Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    So does this happen with the spray samples or with the non-spray vials?
    Sorry it's not clear to me.
    This happens with their samples in their small atomizers. I was buying mostly 1.5ml atomizer samples from TPC.

  57. #417
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,243

    Default Re: A bone to pick with Perfumed Court

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I've been a customer of TPC for a few years. I've probably bought a few hundred samples from them. A while back (year and a half maybe), they switched to different atomizers. Since this switch I've noticed my samples evaporating alarmingly fast. Many of the samples I've bought have totally evaporated while sitting stored in a drawer. From now on, if/when I purchase from them again, I am going to purchase the smallest volume stoppered vials, and no longer purchase atomizer samples from them. Frankly, it's pretty annoying for the price paid to have your samples disappear.

    This only happens with the atomizer samples.

    It's possible that this has been discussed here before; if so, please excuse me for venting.
    That's f*cked up. Tell them about it.

  58. #418
    neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,343

    Default Re: A bone to pick with Perfumed Court

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I've been a customer of TPC for a few years. I've probably bought a few hundred samples from them. A while back (year and a half maybe), they switched to different atomizers. Since this switch I've noticed my samples evaporating alarmingly fast. Many of the samples I've bought have totally evaporated while sitting stored in a drawer. From now on, if/when I purchase from them again, I am going to purchase the smallest volume stoppered vials, and no longer purchase atomizer samples from them. Frankly, it's pretty annoying for the price paid to have your samples disappear.

    This only happens with the atomizer samples.

    It's possible that this has been discussed here before; if so, please excuse me for venting.

    Hi Jon,
    I have had no problem with the newer atomisers and it's probably not the best of ideas to discuss this on a public medium without first trying to address the issue with the party in question. It only hurts TPC. Perhaps there was a defective batch they were unaware of? Perhaps they knew of it and have rectified it? No one really benefits from bad PR, especially when it is not handled through the proper channels.
    Last edited by neal; 29th August 2010 at 07:50 PM.

  59. #419

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,837

    Default Re: A bone to pick with Perfumed Court

    Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Hi Jon,
    I have had no problem with the newer atomisers and it's probably not the best of ideas to discuss this on a public medium without first trying to address the issue with the party in question. No one really benefits from that.
    No one benefits from discussing a potential problem? I disagree; everyone may benefit.

  60. #420
    neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,343

    Default Re: A bone to pick with Perfumed Court

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    No one benefits from discussing a potential problem? I disagree; everyone may benefit.
    You miss my point. I was suggesting you address this with The Perfumed Court first. Patty, Diane; really everyone at TPC are great to deal with.
    Last edited by neal; 29th August 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Where to get Creed samples? (other than The Perfumed Court)
    By Oakmoss in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10th March 2008, 03:14 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29th February 2008, 01:10 AM
  3. Guerlain Djedi EDT special at perfumed Court
    By fancynance in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th February 2008, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000