Code of Conduct

Default Fake Creeds on eBay -- How to Tell?

I know we've had this thread before, but I can't find it on the Board thanks to technical difficulties. I need to know:

a) How to spot fake bottles on eBay.
    b) Which Creeds are most commonly faked.
    c) Which sellers to avoid. (You can e-mail or pm me these privately, of course).

I just get really apprehensive whenever I see large bottles of GIT with a BIN price of forty-odd dollars, ya know?

Horror stories gladly read and taken to heart.
    Last edited by DustB; 31st August 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Fake Creeds on eBay -- How to Tell?

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ght=fake+Creed

I did a search for "What a fake Creed looks like" and it looked like there were other responsive threads with unhappy stories.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Well...I got my Green "Frich" Tweed in the mail a week ago. It's fake, but well done. The Box with that title was the giveaway. I got completely ripped off for $50.

Then little things...the cap "feels" different...the edges are rounded instead of sharp...the cap has little "dots" inside it...the Creed logo on the bottle is matte like the bottle instead of shiny like it should be...and it smells good, but fades fast. For about $20 it would make a good drugstore scent.

He's supposed to refund my money...he told me to keep or throw away the bottle! We'll see...

Fake Creeds on eBay -- How to Tell?
    At first I thought this was a lead in to a joke ... like "how do you tell if a lawyer is lying". But you are serious?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Dead serious.

I would never buy any Creed bottle online or on ebay...never! I´m so glad, that i get every Millésime 2.5oz bottle for 116,- Euro (in Germany at the "Karstadt" Mall...they got an official Creed Store inside and sometimes they give 20% (off) discount...so at the end I pay 92,- Euro. I bought my 7th bottle :-) (Erolfa)

Oh, no -- I've bought from creedirect, Scented Monkey and others -- and have been VERY happy with quality, authentic products.
    No, these sellers on eBay I'm talking about are just very disreputable, that's all. I just want to know how to spot either them (the sellers) and/or the fraudulent wares, that's all. There are MANY good sellers of Creed on eBay and elsewhere online.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 31st August 2007 at 10:51 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Don't get GIT or SMW water on ebay. Those are their cash cows. Anything with a buy it now for $40 is a guaranteed fake. I hate ebay for not doing anything about that.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

You can trust that the VIW I'm selling is real! Shameless plug.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

There are other threads with photos etc - I'll do my schtick here for anyone that asks -

First of all you can find good creeds on ebay - testers are usually legit, as are used bottles. However like the man above says - watch out for SMW and GIT.

Fake SMW has paint that chips off of it, real SMW doesn't, Note that real Millesime Imperial has foil that peels off though.

The telltale signs aside from atrocious spelling mistakes on the box - are on the cap. The top should be made of two pieces not one piece of plastic, and the inside should have this ridged ring.

Real creed caps:
    (the first one has some paint rubbing off which is unusual)

Real cap inside - all real creeds look like that inside (the ridged circular layer on the inside) - anything else is fake:

FAKE cap - it's one piece of plastic and the design is less detailed/refined:

Real Creed cap side view - nice and smooth:

Fake cap side (on a real creed bottle! I never bought a fake, just got a cap) - more warped and clunky, reflection is very warped:

FAKE CREED ON EBAY: signs are the cap which is warped and the paint chipping off on the bottom
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Mountain-Water-CREED-4-oz-120ml-Wholesale_W0QQitemZ300140356615QQihZ020QQcategoryZ 72773QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 1st September 2007 at 03:37 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Don't get GIT or SMW water on ebay. Those are their cash cows. Anything with a buy it now for $40 is a guaranteed fake. I hate ebay for not doing anything about that.
    eBay is too busy chasing decant sales to worry about fakes on their site.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon