Code of Conduct

Default biehl - parfumkunstwerke: Mark Buxton mb01-mb03. Anyone tested these?

As a fan of Mark Buxton's work, I am primarily interested in the three fragrances he created for the biehl parfumkunstwerke line. If any of you have sampled the Buxton creations, or any from the biehl line, please share your impressions.

Default Re: biehl - parfumkunstwerke: Mark Buxton mb01-mb03. Anyone tested these?

The Buxton scents in this line are excellently composed, very refined and distinguished IMHO.
    mb02 is a smooth and slightly earthy fragrance. The top notes are violets, bergamot and basil; the heart has carnation, iris and labdanum, and the base is an arrangement of sandalwood, musk and balsamic accords. After the dark-green, soft floral top notes, the iris gets more and more pronounced and takes the leading role. The balsamic notes in the base add a certain creaminess. It's a somehow reserved fragrance, but unique and charismatic. No big sillage here, but it stays on my skin for hours.

mb03 is a fascinating take on incense. Notes: camomile, pepper, styrax, amber, incense, musk and woody notes. It starts with a churchy, dry and slightly harsh incense (similar to the bitter incense in Avignon or Heeley cardinal), but the initial coldness soon is softened by the sweet and resinous basenotes. The drydown is simply fantastic. Like mb02, it's a calm and sophisticated fragrance with excellent longevity yet modest sillage.

pc02by Patricia Choux is much more effervescent than the Buxton scents: a somewhat hilarious, sweet oriental in the tradition of Dzing with notes of honey, patchouli, tonka and musk. Theres also a woody sawdust note in there. Very bold yet easy to wear.

gs02 by Geza Schoen is an absinth-focused scent with additional notes of angelica, leather, castoreum and an amber-vanilla base. In the first stages of its development it's fresh, green anda bit boozy, later it gets darker and drier before it gains some sweetness during the drydown. Very nice, but not as exceptional as the two mb fragrances.

Default Re: biehl - parfumkunstwerke: Mark Buxton mb01-mb03. Anyone tested these?

Gerald,

Thank you for your insightful comments. MB02 and 03 are my primary interest and your comments sealed the deal. I cannot wait to test mb03 and mb02. I was also considering testing the Geza Schon (gs02) that you mentioned. The heart of leather and castoreum piqued my interest and your comments have also placed that one at the top of my wish list.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Gerald,

Thank you for your insightful comments. MB02 and 03 are my primary interest and your comments sealed the deal. I cannot wait to test mb03 and mb02. I was also considering testing the Geza Schon (gs02) that you mentioned. The heart of leather and castoreum piqued my interest and your comments have also placed that one at the top of my wish list.
    I'm a little scared to try them Michael - they're scary expensive. I really don't need another line to fall in love with, that has pricey scents (Profumum, Serge Lutens, MPG). My BF already thinks I'm a fragrance snob.

Anxiously awaiting my sample of MB02...I hope the iris is as pronounced as was mentioned!

Basenotes Plus

I'm sampling pc02 today. In addition to the luscious gourmandy notes I am getting some freesia and lots of black pepper, both of which are offering a nice bite to counter the sweetness. It's a delightful scent and I'm enjoying it a lot, but at $130 for 100ml, it's sadly a little too rich for my blood.

Terry
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I just bought a bottle of mb03 today. I had a hard time deciding between it and the mb02, but in the end I went for the '03 despite its higher price tag; CAN$150 for the 100ml. They are said to be EdP strength, and I do find that there is plenty in the way of scent persistence...

I had samples of both fragrances that I wore for a while before I took the plunge, and though I really enjoyed mb02, I'd been looking to buy a really high-quality wood scent for a while, and mb03 just seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Having no top-notes it just gets right down to business with its warm, musky theme of incense and wood. I find it to be deep, sensual and very, very good.

I'd like to hear your impressions of the '02...even if you didn't pick it.

Quote Originally Posted by theLateDoctor View Post
    I just bought a bottle of mb03 today. I had a hard time deciding between it and the mb02, but in the end I went for the '03 despite its higher price tag; CAN$150 for the 100ml. They are said to be EdP strength, and I do find that there is plenty in the way of scent persistence...

I had samples of both fragrances that I wore for a while before I took the plunge, and though I really enjoyed mb02, I'd been looking to buy a really high-quality wood scent for a while, and mb03 just seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Having no top-notes it just gets right down to business with its warm, musky theme of incense and wood. I find it to be deep, sensual and very, very good.

I actually just got another sample of mb02 because I like the mb03 so much that I figure that 02 has to be at least decent (I know that is not entirely sound logic in our world, but... )

Anyhow, I'll post my impressions in a few days, even though you may not want them anymore ;D

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    I'm sampling pc02 today. In addition to the luscious gourmandy notes I am getting some freesia and lots of black pepper, both of which are offering a nice bite to counter the sweetness. It's a delightful scent and I'm enjoying it a lot, but at $130 for 100ml, it's sadly a little too rich for my blood.

Terry
    Don't you find pc02 to be a softer version of either Chocolate Greedy or L de Lolita Lempicka? I've got samples of the entire line but none of them really stand out for me at the moment - nearly half of them actually remind me of something else.

can someone tell me about eo 02?

from the biehl website:
    "high-class colonial style. very sophisticated.

head: unusually fresh fusion of citric, green, and spicy components.
    bergamot, grapefruit, galbanum, cardamom, cilantro

heart: sweet-balsamic and tangy masculine tones.
    thyme, davana, fir, rose, jasmine, clove

base: a perfect contrast - an elegant woody chord.
    cedar wood atlas, patchouli, sandalwood, incense, vanilla,
    cinnamon, ambergris, musk"

Is it as good as the notes promise ?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    can someone tell me about eo 02?

from the biehl website:
    "high-class colonial style. very sophisticated.

head: unusually fresh fusion of citric, green, and spicy components.
    bergamot, grapefruit, galbanum, cardamom, cilantro

heart: sweet-balsamic and tangy masculine tones.
    thyme, davana, fir, rose, jasmine, clove

base: a perfect contrast - an elegant woody chord.
    cedar wood atlas, patchouli, sandalwood, incense, vanilla,
    cinnamon, ambergris, musk"

Is it as good as the notes promise ?
    I think you might like eo02. It has a fresh citrus, spicy, woody feel. I have had a sample since the fall but I am waiting until summer to give it a full day's wearing. I have difficulty discerning the indivudual notes but the accords are pleasing and enjoyable. Given its complex note pyramid, eo 02 lacks the depth and evolution I was expecting but it's a good fragrance nonetheless.

BTW the sample I have is from FIF. They were quite generous with the biehl samples I ordered. Each sample arrived in a 2.5 ml atomizer. Enough for several applications.

PS: I have been testing it this evening and the drydown is slightly sweet, but neither cloying nor sweet in a Lutensesque way.
    Last edited by Sloan; 17th February 2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: tested scent