Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Scentguru.com sucks

Lets see...

They take a minimum of one day to "process" your order
    (not the case with scentiments)

.They take 3-4 days (after the day of "processing") to send your package via EXPRESS mail (scentiments takes 2 total)

They claim to match prices, but: This requires calling the "corporate" number and asking the customer service person to get permission from their manager and call you back, which can take a day or so, AND they will not match the price if it is substantially lower than theirs (false advertising) AND subsequently accused the company who's price I was trying to match (fragrancenet.com) of selling fake or old product. The product satisfied every single criteria for being a valid, matchable price, and they denied it.

I was prepared to make a purchase over $200. They F*cked it all up for themselves and I hope they go out of business (which they probably will if they keep pulling this sh*t)

Its so ironic too, because all this week in my management class we've been talking about how some companies (internet in particular) just shoot themselves in the foot by failing to provide good customer service and prompt shipping. There is NO excuse for a day of processing in today's internet age, just as there is no reason that 4 separate phone calls should need to be made to make a price match that is CLEARLY outlined in the company's policies.

Thats right, Scentguru, you suck. You're going down, punk!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: Scentguru.com sucks

I don't have affiliations with any of these guys - I just buy from a lot of them. I have noticed that with many of them, ONLY the owner can make decisions, and they are often guys with business interests in other companies, so they are "out" a lot. For sure this "business model" is weak. I've also observed the owners to be very customer centered when it comes to resolving issues: giving me their cell numbers, update voice mails to me, and so on.

Scent Guru has always done me right. They are slow out of the gate preparing orders, which isn't a problem for me - but that's just me. I love their selection and their prices are good. Lot of hard to find stuff, too. The thing that has endeared me to them was an incident in which I screwed up (first time it ever happened...lol) and thought I was double billed. The lady I spoke to was very responsive. She quickly and gently researched the issue for me and explained everything to my satisfaction. The inference I drew from this is that she was "taught" the way the owner wanted to treat his (or her) customers. Of course it's possible she is the only good employee there, in which case the dynamics of a competitive market place - and good old fashioned Darwinism - will sort that out. In the meantime I'll keep supporting them. Maybe my experience is the tip of the iceberg, maybe your's is. Who knows? But...the market will probably sort that out.

Funny you mention Scentiments. My experience with them has consistently been that while their advertised prices are good...THEY NEVER HAVE WHAT I WANT IN STOCK. They have "lost" way more than $200 of my dough that I've spent somewhere else. What really chaps my backside is when you ask them to let you know when an item is in stock. I've yet to hear back from them on that system of their's. I still buy from them though.

Best regards,
    Mike

I've gotten many email alerts that something has come into stock at scentiments, but I agree with you that they need to stop pretending they carry certain things when they haven't been in stock in a year. ex. Selection Verte 2.5 oz.

My case in point is the Ambre Canelle I just ordered.

Retail - $128
    Scentguru orig. price - $110
    Fragrancenet price - $84
    Scentiments price - $66

I tried to get them to match the fragrancenet price, and they couldn't do it. "We can't guarantee that you'll be getting quality product from fragrancenet, because we can't see how they could be so low on that price, so we wont be able to match that". Dumbass, If you're paying more than $84 for those bottles wholesale, you are not only a terrible businessman, but you're stupid too.

I would have (and gladly did) order(ed) from Fragrancenet, had I not wanted to try out guru. Scentiments is out of stock, or I obviously would have ordered there. And if, by miracle, I do ask scentiments to match a price, the girl says "hang on", and five seconds later is back on the phone with the "approval" to match.

I would change just about everything I had experienced with this company. They are a model of how not to be a good internet retailer. I'm sure most people have decent experiences with them, however, a company's true colors shine through when you ask them to do just about anything above and beyond their normal routine. In this case, scentguru has failed my test. Miserably.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 31st August 2007 at 02:25 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    they need to stop pretending they carry certain things when they haven't been in stock in a year

Very well put...

Do they still have that summer thing up there in the Royal Oaks area (Woodward Ave, maybe) with the classic cars? Used to be pretty cool as I remember.

Have a great holiday weekend...

Mike

I tried to get them to match the fragrancenet price, and they couldn't do it. "We can't guarantee that you'll be getting quality product from fragrancenet, because we can't see how they could be so low on that price, so we wont be able to match that". Dumbass, If you're paying more than $84 for those bottles wholesale, you are not only a terrible businessman, but you're stupid too.
    God, you got to be kidding me? Can't believe they said that. They could say the same thing about any business offering lower prices then them. And everyone knows FragranceNet is one of the biggest in the industry and they sell authentic products.

That really is a very bad business practice which also reduces there revenue as well as giving them a bad name. That's the whole point of the price matching. If they can't actually step up, why advertise it. Companies shouldn't be lying and promising if they can't live up to their word.

Don't lose hope, there are still some good businesses out there.

- Tomer
    Currently hooked on: Gucci Envy, Armani Code and L'eau ST Dupont

And if, by miracle, I do ask scentiments to match a price, the girl says "hang on", and five seconds later is back on the phone with the "approval" to match.
    That would be a miracle indeed!

I have never had a single case of an online purchase where Scentiments.com didn't have the lowest price except maybe last christmas when fragrancenet.com came out with $2 lower after the use of a coupon.
    -

I do know that Scentiments stocks Selection Verte, I bought my tester from them the same day I bought my VIW bottle a few months back. However, these were at their brick and mortar shop called Common Scents, up in Lake Worth. So maybe sometimes the stuff sitting in the shop isn't listed in the "pull stock" at the warehouse. However, the fact that they do have it tells me that they don't need to "stop pretending" anything.

Never before bought from scentguru, now I don't anticipate I ever will
    Last edited by rentboy; 14th September 2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: clarity