Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Serge Lutens : Chypre Rouge - a Complete Knockout

I feel such a fool now for ignoring this scent when it was released, and that was until yesterday when I finally sampled this in the late evening hours.
    Don`t know exactly why, but I just didn`t find Chypre Rouge`s concept that intriguing. That was stupid, I now know, but at the same time the humble expectations towards this fragrance left great amount of room for a pleasant (to say the least) surprise that I got to experience.

BAM!! It was love at first sniff and in seconds I realized that it is time to start saving some money – immediately.
    By time it got even better and better, and the lasting power turned out to be completely flawless.

It is easy for me to say that to me this is one of the most marvellous masterpieces by Sheldrake. I haven’t got the chance to try them all, but this ties my SL favourites with Miel de Bois and Muscs Koublai Khan. For instance, I think this is way more satisfying scent comparing to Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Borneo 1834, Arabie etc.

Wow, what a strange and hypnotic juice this is. It has Lutens / Sheldrake written all over it, yet it is not directly comparable to anything I’ve ever smelled.
    A completely mesmerizing mixture of thick, sweet fruity oriental style notes, mixed with foresty nuances by pine and moss. A great, evergreen accord here indeed.
    It also has a great spicy, herbaceous accords. I get slight cumin or curry, even if it is not listed. This adds a delicious, slightly controversial edge to it.

All in all, the name is absolutely appropriate here, since I haven’t, after all, smelled anything so (dark) red smelling fragrance in my entire life.

While I was sniffing this fragrance last night, I was on a walk by the dark forest nearby my place with headphones on, playing Brian Eno`s On Land Ambient 4 album. Great many different images ran through my mind, and I swear I was set to lose my mind completely.
    One thing that occurred to my mind was that great scene in the last episode of Twin Peaks, where Dale Cooper was about to cross the border of our plane into the Black Lodge.

I haven’t feltl this much for any fragrance in a long, long time. No need to tell you that I must have it as soon as possible.
    Last edited by DustB; 31st August 2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Removed all-caps in title.

Default Re: Serge Lutens : Chypre Rouge - a COMPLETE KNOCKOUT

Wow, must smell great in a forest!

I actually hated it the first time I tried it, which was on a card. I thought it smelled cheap and it wasn't like any of the other lutens. Then Kasae offered me a very good deal on a swap, and I figured I'd try it again, or else swap it if I didn't like it but it just blew me away. It's really underrated here I find. I don't know which parts make it smell like cherry jell-o or which nots give it that sweaty vegetable salt aspect, but whatever they are they're great!

Luckily for you alot of people don't like it and it appears frequently on ebay in europe.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 31st August 2007 at 10:51 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Each to his/her own -- to me, it smelled like resinous pine needles rolled in cherry Kool-Aid. I traded my bottle off last year.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution

Love the David Lynch/Brian Eno references, used to enhance your fragrance 'experience' Pigeon...I have not had a chance to sniff Chypre Rouge yet, but your comments make it apparent that I must. Soon.

Funny coincidence: Last night I had my equilibrium sufficiently shaken by sampling Gris Clair by Serge Lutens for the first time.

I sat in bed, with that intriguing, 'lavender of the Himalaya' note unfolding all over me and thought about Sheldrake and Lutens in the same way as you did. Highly skilled perfumer turns molecules into virtual magic smells.

Gris Clair smells to me, like the scene from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - where the lead character meets the Ice Queen for the first time in the forest. Like a pine needle popsicle.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    I feel such a fool now for ignoring this scent when it was released, and that was until yesterday when I finally sampled this in the late evening hours.
    Don`t know exactly why, but I just didn`t find Chypre Rouge`s concept that intriguing. That was stupid, I now know, but at the same time the humble expectations towards this fragrance left great amount of room for a pleasant (to say the least) surprise that I got to experience.

BAM!! It was love at first sniff and in seconds I realized that it is time to start saving some money – immediately.
    By time it got even better and better, and the lasting power turned out to be completely flawless.

It is easy for me to say that to me this is one of the most marvellous masterpieces by Sheldrake. I haven’t got the chance to try them all, but this ties my SL favourites with Miel de Bois and Muscs Koublai Khan. For instance, I think this is way more satisfying scent comparing to Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Borneo 1834, Arabie etc.

Wow, what a strange and hypnotic juice this is. It has Lutens / Sheldrake written all over it, yet it is not directly comparable to anything I’ve ever smelled.
    A completely mesmerizing mixture of thick, sweet fruity oriental style notes, mixed with foresty nuances by pine and moss. A great, evergreen accord here indeed.
    It also has a great spicy, herbaceous accords. I get slight cumin or curry, even if it is not listed. This adds a delicious, slightly controversial edge to it.

All in all, the name is absolutely appropriate here, since I haven’t, after all, smelled anything so (dark) red smelling fragrance in my entire life.

While I was sniffing this fragrance last night, I was on a walk by the dark forest nearby my place with headphones on, playing Brian Eno`s On Land Ambient 4 album. Great many different images ran through my mind, and I swear I was set to lose my mind completely.
    One thing that occurred to my mind was that great scene in the last episode of Twin Peaks, where Dale Cooper was about to cross the border of our plane into the Black Lodge.

I haven’t feltl this much for any fragrance in a long, long time. No need to tell you that I must have it as soon as possible.

Beautiful stuff man. The words I mean. Haven't tried the fragrance but I look forward to it.

For those who don't like linear scents:
    You may not like all the scenery, but this one will take you on a nice little ride .

Default Re: Serge Lutens : Chypre Rouge - a Complete Knockout

Your words have done great justice to a fabulous fragrance. I love it too and saving up for a bottle.

Barry

I'm terribly excited. Haven't had the chance of trying a Serge Lutens scent so far, but now 5 samples will arrive next week. I'm reading reviews here and at other places on the net eagerly, and am very-very curious how I will like them. Among them is Chypre Rouge

I'm a bit afraid that the case will be like that with L'Artisan, Villoresi and The Different Company: a rather big disappointment. Is there any hope?

PM, that's a wonderfully well-written review. I can't wait to sample Chypre Rouge!

As my salty Texan grandma used to say wryly, "'Each to his own,' said the old woman as she kissed the cow."
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 16th September 2007 at 01:30 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

It is, without doubt, the weirdest scent I own. I bought it not long after I joined the boards, when there was a Lutens week. I was really excited to find Serge Lutens fragrances in a London department store after reading all about them, and tired a few different ones. Ambre Sultan was the one I bought that day, but I also tried Chypre Rouge. It was so strange, yet I couldn't stop sniffing my arm, and then after, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I went right back to the shop the following weekend and bought some.
    On me it has a tangy, herby earthiness that is almost savoury. I can smell spices, herbs, smoke and celery. Perhaps a hint of fir tree, too.
    Some days I love it, other days I hate it. But always, it intrigues me.

All the thread through, I kept thinking Rousse (which inmo is much better than most ppl seem to think), but not until now when I dug out my sample of Rousse I realized this was about Chypre Rouge.

Why have I not sampled this? Will do so as soon as I can.

I ordered a whole bottle blind and it just arrived. Opened it, dabbed on a drop on my hand and uaarghh, the very first second it smells foul and off, like fragrance gone bad.
    Now after five minutes it's awesome, I find it very, very close to Santal de Mysore, only that 70% of the Mysore Sandalwood is missing. Can someone relate?
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Excellent review.

Makes want to try it!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Some days I love it, other days I hate it. But always, it intrigues me.
    I feel this way about Arabie by Serge Lutens. I have a decant and sometimes it really turns my stomach and then other times (for no reason at all) I find it incredibly enriching and as satisfying as an artisanal dessert.

I hated it last year, but after trying it again, I've done a complete 180.

Chypre Rouge is one of those few Lutens that works better in colder/non-humid weather. Doesn't project much off the skin after the first 20 minutes or so. Has anyone gotten any compliments on it? I feel like it's one of those that only scent maniacs would appreciate.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Yes, I agree, one of the very few SL scents I enjoy.

You know what's funny - I've always seen this one as the weirdest Lutens with that vegetable kool aid mix - my brother smelled it on me the other day, and he said it just smells like "ordinary cologne that Morrocans wear" (we're half morrocan)!

But that aside, has anyone else noticed that Jasmine note in there? I've been wearing it every day for at least a week straight now, and early on I could have sworn I smelled Jasmine, but I thought my nose was playing tricks on me. Then after a couple of days where I smelled it more and more, I checked the directory a couple of days later, and lo and behold Jasmine is definitely there.

Now I feel like this fragrance is like a jasmine flower wearing a costume
    - it's right there at the heart of the fragrance. It disappears after awhile and with it goes the magic of the fragrance (which is still nice) but wow, a great note holding up all the others.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I'm so glad y'all can like it -- I swapped my bottle last year before you could say "Cherry Robitussin with extra pinecones, please."

But then, there are those out there who don't care for my beloved Musc Ravageur, so, hey, it's all good . . .
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th October 2007 at 11:57 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I'm so glad y'all can like it -- I swapped my bottle last year before you could say "Cherry Robitussin with extra pinecones, please."
    That's actually a good description! You just need to add "with a heart of jasmine, and peppered with celeri salt"! Too bad you swapped yours already - if I keep using mine at this rate, I'll need a new one in a few weeks.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 13th October 2007 at 12:18 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread