Code of Conduct

Default Montale Patchouli Leaves - I can't shake this one

As much as I try to leave it and forget about it, this one keeps coming back to me over and over. I don't own it and it doesn't seem that versatile but it is so damn earthy and interesting. A sillage/longevity monster; I am thinking about it alot with autumn approaching. When I had a sample, I couldn't stop bringing my wrist to my nose.

Any other fans or haters of this one? It is major patchouli, but with the amber and vanilla, somehow I don't feel like a hippie with this one.

Default Re: Montale Patchouli Leaves - I can't shake this one

Is this one of their oudh-free offerings? When you mention the amber and vanilla, (and specifically the not feeling like a hippie), you make me think of Etro's Patchouly, which I absolutely love. Is it comparable?

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    Is this one of their oudh-free offerings? When you mention the amber and vanilla, (and specifically the not feeling like a hippie), you make me think of Etro's Patchouly, which I absolutely love. Is it comparable?
    A sweeter version the amber softens it compared to the Etro but it sure does kick out silage in spades,i find it to be too sweet for me but on my g/f yeah, both are worth having and particularly the Montale if you are female or your body chemistry can do sweet.

No big deal, but for what it's worth, I've never particularly associated patchouli with "hippies"; and the people I know from that generation (no matter their lifestyle at any given time) are extremely intelligent and generally very successful in life - far moreso than others as far as that goes.

Patchouli just smells incredible. The best is Santa Maria Novella's. I haven't tried Montale's but I figure it must be decent. For patchouli with mild amber and spices, Mazzolari's is hard to beat.

I love PATCHOULI as well, and you are correct; most 'hippies' or 'former hippies' I know are intelligent and passionate people . There is something very grounding and exotic to me about the smell of it.

I haven't tried the efforts from Etro or Mazzolari, but sounds as though I should before I spring for Patchouli Leaves.

I love it, Barry, but then again I think you and I have similar tastes. The best "straight on" patchouli is probably the SMN, but the Montale keeps it from feeling too hippy-ish.

If Patchouli Patch is too sweet and SMN is too straight-patchouli, I think the Montale splits the difference and creates a unique experience wtihout feeling dirty or a little too earthy.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 31st August 2007 at 09:44 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I'm wondering how similar it is to my Ava Luxe Patchouli Leaves.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I'm wondering how similar it is to my Ava Luxe Patchouli Leaves.
    You took the words out of my mouth. Inquiring minds want to know.

Speaking of Ava Luxe Patchouli Leaves, should I buy the parfum extrait or the eau de parfum? Is the latter good for sillage and longevity?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I can relate. When I find myself revisiting a sample several times, it's a good indicator that a bottle purchase is on the horizon. I usually wait at least a month after the sample is gone to verify that I still have an intense desire for it. During the "cooling off" period, I'll comparison shop and test other samples.

If you're interested in testing other patchouli scents, I'll second the Mazzolari Patchouli. A warm, rich, exotic blend of amber, patchouli, and spices. For a more earthy patchouli, Profumum Patchouly is my current fave; however, I have yet to test the SMN offering. SMN Patchouli and Montale Patchouli Leaves are very high on my Most Wanted Samples list.

I too was wowed by the very pure and simple patchouli of M P Leaves. It has a clean and almost herbal patchouli fragrance. But, the amber and vanilla was the problem for me. When first putting on the sample it smells great. And, after an hour or so the amber/vanilla starts to warm the pathcouli which is nice and friendly for pathcouli to have something sweet to contrast with. but . . The longer it goes, the more the patchouli disappears and the more the amber and vanilla takes over. Eventually it became all vanilla and amber, which was not what I thought I wanted in the beginning. I am hyper sensitive to amber/vanilla comninations - almost allergic - so I may be overreating. But it was too sweet for me.

Basenotes Institution

So jock_with_scents - did you ever end up getting the Montale PL ? If so, what are your thoughts?

Others care to comment on the Montale PL?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Tried it in Paris the same day I tried CdG's luxe Patchouli. It's a sillage monster, for sure, and it's a very sharp, real patchouli, that said I prefer the CdG, it's more complex. but I like the Montale's price much more.

I bought 50 ml of Montale's PL blind in the recent Montale frenzy and am now kicking myself that I did not purchase more. It is patchouli, soaked in an oaken barrel with Maker's Mark bourbon. It is a fantastic creation and projects exceedingly well. I have not yet had the opportunity to try the SMN, Etro or Mazzolari patchouli scents, but if they (i) are considered "comparable" scents, and (ii) are appreciably better, then I'll be very surprised. I'm not sure they would be considered "comparable", Montale's having a bit more going on, it seems, than the latterly-described neat patchouli of the SMN fragrance, e.g..
    Last edited by Circa1905; 7th November 2007 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Tried it in Paris the same day I tried CdG's luxe Patchouli. It's a sillage monster, for sure, and it's a very sharp, real patchouli, that said I prefer the CdG, it's more complex. but I like the Montale's price much more.
    i'm absolutely loving the luxe patchouli too, but at that price you would have to love it. i'm not sure if i'd every be able to justify buying a bottle...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I ended up not buying a bottle of Patchouli Leaves. I came to the realization that I love patchouli in frags where it is more of a supporting actor than featuring in a starring role. I do love Patchouli Leaves, but find myself always feeling nervous when I wear it in public. I did buy Givenchy Gentleman shortly after deciding against Patchouli Leaves and it seems to suit me a bit better maybe. I also love the patchouli in Heritage and Rochas Lui. The opening of Montale - PL is amazing and I am constantly craving that stage. I don't know...I may revisit it in the future...My confidence level is really low right now with what I think I can wear. I hope I can pull out of it soon.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 7th November 2007 at 03:29 AM.

You guys hit upon one of Maisonstinky's true loves !

I love the Montale, and the Mazzolari; unfortunately, it doesn't look promising, to purchase from Serena...
    [It does smell similarly lovely, though]

I like the Ava Luxe PL, but can't say that I love it. I bought a bottle about two months ago and will likely end up swapping it or giving it to a friend. Have just ordered two 50ml bottles of the Montale PL, though. Will review this one once I get it.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I bought Montale Patchoulie Leaves blind from the Montale Switzerland and I am more than happy with my purchase.My general preference is towards sweeter scents and this one is really what I expect from a patchoulie fragrance.Warm, sweet ,longlasting and do not go too far away from patchoulie.And I think this one is far from being dirty.And the scent which is left on my tshirt( I spritzed to my chest) the next day was marvelous; it was like a quality, very dark bitter chocolate.
    (And I received 3 free 50 ml bottles along with the one that I ordered.)(Sorry Gupts and the other guys who had problems with their orders)

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    You guys hit upon one of Maisonstinky's true loves !
    Thanks Chayaruchama, yes it is true, one of my top 5 in Pierre Montale's creations. The sillage is extraordinary on this one.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I know this thread is very old but I had the same experience as the OP. I bought this as a sample a couple months back and can't get it out of my head. I really just tacked it on to my order to get it above a certain dollar amount so I could use a coupon but I keep coming back to this at least once a week. The original sample is gone and I bought another one but I really think I need a FB of this. If the only the wife didn't hate patchouli so much.

Quote Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
    I know this thread is very old but I had the same experience as the OP. I bought this as a sample a couple months back and can't get it out of my head. I really just tacked it on to my order to get it above a certain dollar amount so I could use a coupon but I keep coming back to this at least once a week. The original sample is gone and I bought another one but I really think I need a FB of this. If the only the wife didn't hate patchouli so much.
    It is a very nice patchouli scent, own and love it so I can understand why you are contemplating about getting a bottle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I had the same experience. I ended up finding a bottle in the sales forum. The juice is so dark and thick. I sprayed some on my forehand and when I got to work there was still a brown spot. I ended up washing it of cuz it didn't look good, but the scent still lingered! Amazing longevity. I wouldn't spray on clothes.

I miss old Barry...wonder what he's up to?

I have a sample vial of this Montale Leaf Patchouli and is indeed a monster sillage strong but in the nice way you go back to smell because it is very interesting those notes on it, another one that is a very Patchouli is Mon Patchouli by Ramon Monegal I yet to decide which one is better, like it both.