Code of Conduct

Default The better option: Opium EdT or EdP (ladies version)

For some time now I've been testing the EdT version and it has kind of grown on me. To me it's neither feminine/masculine - in the same vein as Scent Intense. Recently I got the chance to test the EdT and EdP side by side. The EdP seems a lot darker and, for want of a better word, dense. The EdT develops more on my skin and there's this fresh note; to my nose it's comparable to the differences between the two men's versions.

I like both the men's equally, but the choice depends on the situation. While I will always (try to) have both men's in my wardrobe, I'd like to settle for the better women's one. BTW it was during winter that I tested the ladies ones.

Which would be the better choice?

Default Re: The better option: Opium EdT or EdP (ladies version)

The EDT is the best concentration. A brighter citrus top and lighter balance of carnation contribute strongly to that. I haven't tried the pure perfume but the EDP is far too heavy and perseverant. The EDT has a complex evolution with a powerful base that lasts forever. Outside of the minty bubblegum note in both, I can't compare it to either concentration of the men's version which is significantly inferior and saturated in creamy vanilla. I wear the women's on the back of my hand but that's about it. It's easily worn by a man (in small doses - same goes for the men's version) but I get far more pleasure from smelling it on my girlfriend. It's a hell of a fragrance.

When the women's Opium EDT was first released in 1977, the people at YSL knew that if it was to succeed, it had to succeed in the American market first and foremost, a place in which many EDTs were being released at much higher strengths than the traditional 8 to 10% found in European formulations. This trend, towards higher concentrations, was begun and consolidated by Estée Lauder and her fragrances.

As a result of the need to compete with the higher formulations of American brands, the EDT was developed and released at about 19% perfume oil. That's almost twice the regular strength of traditional EDTs and clearly at the top, top end of even most of today's EDP formulations.

Most of the creative energy went into developing the EDT version; the EDP versions (there's also an Opium Secret de Parfum EDP, which is at least parfum strength), I believe, were developed later, and while they're all superb examples of the perfumer's art, the true genius of the fragrance resides in the EDT formulation.

While I like each and every one of the Opium formulations, I agree with pluran's assessment. As always, he is right on the money. The EDT is more wearable, more complex, and essentially lasts like an EDP because it really is an EDP. You can't go wrong with the EDT.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 1st September 2007 at 04:24 PM.

I've had all three at one point, and I'm resigned to the fact that I just can't wear the EDT - it's strong but that vibrancy and transparency people speak of...it wears on me like a perfume of all top and heart notes. It is very spicy and strong, but yet... not grounded. I don’t know quite how to describe my odd experience with the EDT, that lack of an anchor felt unsettling.
    And it really is weird for me, because I insist on a transparency in all he perfumes in my collection, except Opium.
    Also, when I first tried the Secret de Parfum, I thought "WTH?!". (I wasn't prepared for the amplified orangey note at the top.) Then I gave it a full wearing, let it settle a few minutes and it became my favorite form - only second to the parfum.

Specifically, I think it's the fizzy citrus notes combined with the aggressive cinnamon that turns me off the EDT, whereas in the EDP it's rounded out.

So, maybe not the original vision, but it's how I prefer my Opium.
    If you already have the male EDT (only male version I am familiar with), I'd say you already have a sweeter version of the women's EDT, so go with the EDP. I'd imagine it would smell wonderful on a man.
    Then also what is it's purpose? I mean what type of scent do you already have enough of?I should think EDP would be preferable for fall/winter; EDT if you want a sportier scent for summer/spring.
    --------------------------------------
    I've had all three at one point, and I'm resigned to the fact that I just can't wear the EDT - it's strong but that vibrancy and transparency people speak of...it wears on me like a perfume of all top and heart notes. It is very spicy and strong, but yet... not grounded. I don’t know quite how to describe my odd experience with the EDT, that lack of an anchor felt unsettling.
    And it really is weird for me, because I insist on a transparency in all the perfumes in my collection, except Opium.
    Also, when I first tried the Secret de Parfum, I thought "WTH?!". (I wasn't prepared for the amplified orangey note at the top.) Then I gave it a full wearing, let it settle a few minutes and it became my favorite form - only second to the parfum.

Specifically, I think it's the fizzy citrus notes combined with the aggressive cinnamon that turns me off the EDT, whereas in the EDP it's rounded out.

So, maybe not the original vision, but it's how I prefer my Opium.
    If you already have the male EDT (only male version I am familiar with), I'd say you already have a sweeter version of the women's EDT, so go with the EDP. I'd imagine it would smell wonderful on a man.
    Also, what is it's purpose? I mean what type of scent do you already have enough of? I should think EDP would be preferable for fall/winter; EDT if you want a sportier scent for summer/spring.
    Last edited by leffleur; 1st September 2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing Opium EdT now and I can totally agree with Pluran and Scentemental.

The last time I tested this, it was the EdP and I found it too, too much. This Eau de Toilette, however, is positively radiant on my skin. It is definitely much more alive on my skin and it's brash, shoulder-padded top notes have faded down into a very wearable oriental.

I am testing this inside my house, in an air conditioned house - since this is not the kind of scent I think I can pull off in a warm climate like I live in. But I could see this working perfectly in cooler weather.

Big thumbs up!

If you are going to go with the Opium edp please buy the men's version. It is so nicely balanced and nuanced.

I have found that one does not guess a second time with the men's edp, the woman's version has several unsettling notes, that unless worn by a woman, just do not compliment a man's chemistry.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

The Opium woman's version is very hard to pull off if you are a man, it's just too floral.

IMO it's way too feminine.

I just sampled the women's version last night. I love the spicy top notes. It is not the same spicy as Rive Gauche which smells like cumin to me. The spicy in Opium (Womens) is more cinnamon. After a while it smelled feminine to me. Not that I wouldn't wear it but I am not sure I want a bottle.

The mens version looks totally different on paper. Does it smell anything like the women's?

Thanks

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    I just sampled the women's version last night. I love the spicy top notes. It is not the same spicy as Rive Gauche which smells like cumin to me. The spicy in Opium (Womens) is more cinnamon. After a while it smelled feminine to me. Not that I wouldn't wear it but I am not sure I want a bottle.

The mens version looks totally different on paper. Does it smell anything like the women's?

Thanks
    No, it smells different. Many say it doesn't smell as good.

I, personally, enjoy both Opium and Opium Pour Homme. I prefer the Eau de Parfum of Opium Pour Homme - I think it's a masterpiece.

Opium, on the other hand, I'm still getting to know.

I have Opium Eau d'Orient (2008). Does it smell anything like that?

I would just sample it but they don't have it in the stores where I live.

Thanks

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    I have Opium Eau d'Orient (2008). Does it smell anything like that?

I would just sample it but they don't have it in the stores where I live.

Thanks
    You have Opium Eau d'Orient (for women) or you have Opium Pour Homme Eau d'Orient?

You can buy samples of Opium at The Perfumed Court.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th October 2008 at 02:43 AM.

Mike, thanks for the help. I have Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient Poésie de Chine. It is OK. I will certainly wear it until the bottle is empty but I am not interested in another bottle. Thanks

I am in Louisville and while I was at the Machine Gun Shoot today, my wife was out shopping. At the TJMaxx in Louisville, she got me Opium Pour Homme ($15.99). It is a lot like Eau d'Orient and the dry down is nearly the same to me. Opium has more vanilla in the base though.

Having said all that, I like the Women's version better.

I have to say all the versions and names of Opium is really confusing

I have Opium Pour Homme EDT from Marshalls, I have put it on a few times, so far I have gotten a few compliments but I still do not know if I like it or not

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I have to say all the versions and names of Opium is really confusing

I have Opium Pour Homme EDT from Marshalls, I have put it on a few times, so far I have gotten a few compliments but I still do not know if I like it or not
    The names are actually very easy to understand. Opium = the woman's fragrance. Opium Pour Homme = the men's fragrance.

What really is confusing, is that people on Basenotes (on this thread and many other parts of Basenotes) don't always type the right name.

So many times a guy will say he's wearing Opium. When he really means he's wearing Opium Pour Homme.

This thread is about Opium!