Code of Conduct

Default Smoky autumn fragrance

Hi everyone

We're at the tail end of summer now (not that we've had much of a summer in the UK) and my thoughts are turning to autumn. I'm almost looking forward to it, and I'd like to celebrate it, when it comes, with a new fragrance. Can any of you suggest anything with a strong smoky note?

I'm imagining a cold, crisp day in October. Perhaps it is the first really cold day of the year. Summer is long gone but the party season – and Christmas – is still too far off to think about. I'm walking in the woods with a dear friend, our footsteps ringing on the hard earth. There are children playing somewhere near us... we hear their shouts and laughter but we can't see them among the trees. The sky is a clear, cloudless pale grey and against it, the treetops are spiky, black and almost bare – maybe a last shrivelled leaf hanging stubbornly on. And as we walk, all around us is the scent of faraway bonfires. We're walking home now where we know we'll be able to warm up and put the kettle on!

Is there anything, do you think, that sums up that kind of a day? A little bit austere, but with a comforting finish? Or am I asking for a bit too much? The smokiness is the main thing I'm after.

Thanks for any ideas

J

Blog Entries

Default Re: Smoky autumn fragrance

You might try Bvlgari Black.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume. You pretty much described it in your post above. Burning Leaves is the scent of October.

Gucci PH
    M7
    Antaeus
    Leonard PH

Wanted to mention that these are more masculine.
    Last edited by gimpy; 1st September 2007 at 02:23 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Smoky autumn fragrance

L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea For Two.

None better IMO.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Nicole Farhi Homme...for cold icy days :-)

What Sloan said, though you need to order it off the 'net as I don't think it's sold anywhere in the UK.
    You could also try Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque - it's part of the Salon line but joined the export line this year (there's one salon exclusive that gets added to the export line for a year only) - if you're quick you may be able to catch it.
    Serge Lutens is sold in a places like Harrods, Harvey Nicks, Liberty, Fenwicks and other big department stores.

Bvlgari Black came to mind for me too - a gorgeous smoky vanilla with a love/hate rubber note. Can be hard to track down in the UK, I found it in Debenhams.

Liberty has it, if you're in or near London.
    I do think CB I Hate Perfume Burning Leaves is more what you're after, though.
    Here's the link

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
    Hi everyone

We're at the tail end of summer now (not that we've had much of a summer in the UK) and my thoughts are turning to autumn. I'm almost looking forward to it, and I'd like to celebrate it, when it comes, with a new fragrance. Can any of you suggest anything with a strong smoky note?

I'm imagining a cold, crisp day in October. Perhaps it is the first really cold day of the year. Summer is long gone but the party season – and Christmas – is still too far off to think about. I'm walking in the woods with a dear friend, our footsteps ringing on the hard earth. There are children playing somewhere near us... we hear their shouts and laughter but we can't see them among the trees. The sky is a clear, cloudless pale grey and against it, the treetops are spiky, black and almost bare – maybe a last shrivelled leaf hanging stubbornly on. And as we walk, all around us is the scent of faraway bonfires. We're walking home now where we know we'll be able to warm up and put the kettle on!

Is there anything, do you think, that sums up that kind of a day? A little bit austere, but with a comforting finish? Or am I asking for a bit too much? The smokiness is the main thing I'm after.

Thanks for any ideas

J
    If there are a few pine trees in the area...CdG Zagorsk is a close match I think.

Best regards,
    Mike

Jacomo de Jacomo
    Azzaro Visit
    Gucci PH
    Trussardi Uomo
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I do think CB I Hate Perfume Burning Leaves is more what you're after, though.
    Here's the link
    Agree - I forgot about Burning Leaves. Excellent autumn fragrance - an instant olfactory impression of Thanksgiving Day weekend, to me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd September 2007 at 05:21 PM.

You might wanna search for a thread I started last year about this.It's called "wet forest and wood".I was also looking for something like you.....more or less

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions... so many to investigate!

Burning Leaves sounds intriguing. You're right that we don't have that in the UK though. Wonder it it's worth me taking a chance and ordering it from a US site? It is a funny thing though, the name "I Hate Perfume" puts me off a bit... I just really, really dislike the word "hate"; stupid I know as it has nothing to do with the fragrance. And I have visited the CB site and understand why they were given that name.

Wish I'd asked for a Tea For Two sample when I bought my Premier Figuer from L'Artisan last week. That one sounds like my sort of a fragrance too. Mind you, I drink such huge quantities of tea throughout the day that I probably smell strongly tea-ish without the aid of perfume!

Ineespenes, I'm going to search for your thread, but wasn't really looking for wet forest, more dry, crackly, smoky.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Hi everyone

Thanks for any ideas

J
    Welcome to Basenotes, J! Another Britisher here!

Check out this thread for some great ideas for scents with the 'autumnal forest walk' feel:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198277

A few favourites that emphasise the smokey autumn forest feel include:

Ava Luxe Fire Wood
    Aramis Aramis For Men
    Fendi Uomo
    Nemat Arabian Wood
    Gres Cabochard
    Gucci pour Homme
    Ava Luxe Film Noir
    Ava Luxe Chypre Noir / Dark Chypre
    Guerlain Heritage
    Michael Kors Michael For Men
    L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Montale Patchouli Leaves
    Piguet Bandit
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Ava Luxe Midnight Violet
    Ava Luxe Patchouli Leaves

Yes - I have included some scents marketed to women but they work very well on a man too! Try them and see before you knock it...!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Hi Moondeva

Thanks for the welcome. I'm a woman, by the way!

Can I ask where you buy your Ave Luxe from? I've seen Midnight Violet recommended on another thread and thought it sounded delish, but it's another one that doesn't seem to be available in the UK.

Thanks

J

Blog Entries

Hi Moondeva

Thanks for the welcome. I'm a woman, by the way!

Can I ask where you buy your Ave Luxe from? I've seen Midnight Violet recommended on another thread and thought it sounded delish, but it's another one that doesn't seem to be available in the UK.

Thanks

J
    Hiya J! So sorry for the gender misapplication! That makes my list even better for you! Just don't turn your nose up at the 'masculine' options - applied lightly they are amazing!

I order direct from the lovely lady herself! Just go to the site and when you place your order add an 'international token' to your basket to cover S&H. (At least that's what you did the last time I ordered). If in doubt send an email to the wonderful Serena, listing the items you wish to purchase and I am sure she will help you.

I recommend you order a variety of her great samples so that you can get a real feel for her scents and so that you can participate in the up coming Ava Luxe Event (Mid October).

Midnight Violet is an amazing blend. I intend to treat myself to a full bottle soon as I can see it being an autumn favourite / staple for me. It is the scent sister of L'Artisan Voleur de Roses - expect the focus is violets. Deep, dark, loamy and yet wonderfully light and elegant in it's earthiness. I love it worn alone but also like to layer it with Balmain Jolie Madame, Guerlain Les Meteorites or L'Aromarine Violette to play up the leather and violet notes. It is also sublime layered with blends which feature an iris accord.

regards
    Moondeva
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Moondeva's recommends are excellent. Fire Wood and Midnight Violet are two of my Ava Luxe favorites. If you order from Ava luxe and you're searching for smoky:

No. 23
    Incense
    Shambala Tibet (earthy as well)

I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet... I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the CB Burning Leaves from the US, though I'm a bit afraid of the import taxes. But I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions and especially the people who suggested Tea for Two (I've bought it) and Fumerie Turque (um... I've bought that one too). Bit extravagant really...

How do you people discipline yourselves to limit your spending when you have so many gorgeous fragrances tempting you? Or don't you discipline yourselves?

J

LesNez - Let Me Play the Lion
    Diptyque - John Galliano room spray
    Comme des Garçons - Zagorsk
    CB I Hate Perfume - Burning Leaves

NOT that icky Tea for Two please.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea For Two.

None better IMO.
    A classic for the autum and winter!

I absolutely second Ava Luxe Firewood - I have a sample and it's exactly as described on the website (www.ava-luxe.com):

The warm and cozy scent of a crackling winter fire. Wood notes are blended with a touch of sweet resin to create a wonderful smoky wood aroma.

Notes:
    Sandalwood
    Vanuatu Sandalwood (Santalum austrocaledonicum)
    Nagarmotha (Cyperus Scariosus)
    Red Cedar
    Sweet Birch
    Frankincense
    Myrrh

It's astonishing - super-dry and smoky. I ordered a bunch of samples from her and was really pleased with the service and the prices. The shipping was reasonable and I didn't have a problem with customs charges, perhaps because they were samples.

One word of mild caution: before you order from CBIHatePerfume, I suggest you contact them and check out their shipping costs. I was interested in getting some samples from them earlier this year and when I emailed them for costs they told me it would be $65 for the shipping alone. Way too expensive for me - especially when all I wanted was a handfull of 2ml samples and the Ava Luxe shipping had been so reasonable for a smaller parcel.

If you do find CB will ship for a non-exorbitant cost, let me know as I'd still like to try them.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729