Code of Conduct
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default SOTD Saturday, September 1, 2007

Fresh flowers from the overgrown garden, unevenly cut but carefully arranged in the Swarovski glass vase he had bought her for their second anniversary; caring for their aging cat; Thai food quickly delivered from a favorite restaurant--bag held toward him at the open front door by an acne-faced teen who thankfully didn't expect conversation or eye contact. Oh yes, there were a few things he did somewhat enjoy, a very few things such as those.

This though...this was different. So unexpected. So perfect. Who could have sent it? And when? He couldn't remember.

He stood staring at the sealed, tattered box he held in his hands. He stared thoughtfully at it through tired and rheumy eyes. Without a note or return address of any kind he would have to guess..

"My God," he mumbled, rereading the label, "Paco Rabanne La Nuit." Instantly it was 20 years ago, he was with her.. how insanely beautiful she looked.. how wonderful it was to bury his face into her neck, drawing her close to him, intoxicated by the La Nuit, the soft feel of her on his lips, the taste of her on his tongue.. So many years ...so many years!. He shut his eyes, letting warm tears slide untouched down his cheeks. He stood there, eyes closed, recalling how this hollow house had been so deliciously full of her, especially when she wore this scent. He was convinced then and he was convinced now that fragrance must had been made specifically for her, only for her, made for her alone and for no one else.

He placed the unopened box carefully back on the end table, exactly into the dust-free rectangle, almost but not quite touching her picture with the tips of his fingers as he withdrew them. Glancing vacantly out the window, he flowed gently past oak trees that danced seductively for the summer wind, over rhythmically swaying seas of golden meadow grass, and finally, mercifully, his mind slipped for a moment beyond remembering this excruciating and never-ending life without her.

Later he would certainly open it and allow himself to be swept away, he thought. He would imagine he was holding her close once more. Holding her close and breathing in the dark intensity of the La Nuit. Pulling her close to him and temporarily filling his emptiness with the bittersweet narcotic of her memory.

Yes, later he definitely would open it, not remembering he had told himself this a hundred times before. But for now a very weary old man shuffled toward the kitchen to feed a very old cat.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Paco Rabanne La Nuit later today, definitely unisex and definitely a powerful statement.
    Last edited by kbe; 1st September 2007 at 05:15 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Default Re: SOTD Saturday, September 1, 2007

SL Un Bois Sépia, perfect choice for the first day of autumn!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

SL Miel de Bois for me today. Mmmmmmm...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Beautiful story, K. Again

And I so loved that La Nuit. Once. So many years ago.

I think I need Bois du Portugal right now.

Make it a wonferful weekend, my dears.
    Last edited by Riannon; 1st September 2007 at 09:01 AM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

It's a cool, cloudy day here in England and I'm wearing Nirmala and
    looking forward to my holidays in Nice next week!

I borrowed my son's English Fern for Fougere-day.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Tauer - L'Eau d'Epices
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

I'm wearing the Sultan today too; it's suitable for the weather.
    Don't have any fougeres unfortunately.

Nice is nice at this time of year Kewart; I'm planning to take DH with me in october if I can find reasonably priced tickets.

Have a good weekend basenoters!

Hello everyone!
    I am wearing SL Borneo

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Hello, people!
    Today Guipure & Silk Jeanne Arthès
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    SL Un Bois Sépia, perfect choice for the first day of autumn!
    For us in the US autumn is technically a few weeks away! I'll hold on to summer for as long as I can.

It's hot and humid here and I;m starting my day in Nan Green.

Maybe I'll track down my bottle of Jicky later to celebrate fougere day.

....gasp....gasp....gasp....it is too early in the morning for that kind of scenario dear KBE. Sheeeesh....give a girl a break!

That's OK - thanx to your generosity in spreading around samples I am smoldering in the most excellent Safari for Men by Ralphie of the Lauren for today's fougere SnS

Top Notes
    * Eucalyptus, Bergamot.,
    Middle Notes
    * Cedar Leaf, Basil, Cinnamon, Thyme, Lavender, Geranium.,
    Base Notes
    * Oakmoss, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Leather, Vetiver

PurpleBird7 likes this for women and so do I. It's fresh and ferny and great for these dog days of summer. And has a leathery, almost fresh-sweat masculine presence which is nice company - especially after that steamy entry from you-know-who....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Safari for Men ...
    PurpleBird7 likes this for women and so do I.
    Yes, I certainly do.
    I don't care if some people think it smells like grandpa. He used to be young and sexy once, too.

Right kbe?

Anyway, I have on the only fougere at my disposal today-- Madini's Shadow, which I love for its gorgeous patchouli base. Smells like a classic men's cologne base, with lavender, citrus, herbs, and sweet amber over earthy patchouli. The website lists leather and smoke notes over a green fougere base.
    This whole genre reminds me of shaving kits. It takes me back to the days when my sister and I would sneak into my dad's bathroom, spray a mound of shaving cream on our faces, and drag razorless shavers over our faces. What good times!
    Last edited by purplebird7; 1st September 2007 at 01:07 PM.

Faberge, Brut

Original scent, new formulation. Classic fougere for SnS Saturday.

Possibly stretching the fougere definition for today's Sniff & Speak, but I think these will work!

SoTD: Del Rae's Eau Illuminee. Notes include bergamot, basil, lavender, wild aromatic herbs, vanilla and tonka.

SoTE: L'Occitane's L'Eau d'Occitane. Notes from the L'Occitane web site are lavender, blended with the peppery, nutmeg scent of burnt wood.

Kbe, this is probably one of the very few times I disagree with Taolady... thought your post was a great way to start the day...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Fleur du Mâle by Gaultier, I have checked ozMoz, this is the only fougere I own.

Seems like I do not have any full bottles of fougere fragrances here either, so I decided to go with a sample of L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe, which is both herbal and masculine.

Have a nice weekend!

No fougère sniffing for me today. I´m in Fracas!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Fougere sniffing for me. Trying SJP Covet on my right arm. Will probably put on an old faithful in a while.

No.4 by Jil Sander

Wink Re: SOTD Saturday, September 1, 2007

At work I wore Narciso Rodriguez edt(even got a compliment on it).My sote (and to celebrate my bf's birthday on monday)is Crystal Noir edt +bodylotion.I got a nice silage now

Smile Re: SOTD Saturday, September 1, 2007

Celine Dion

Hi moonbubble & welcome on board! Hope you´ll like it here, we have lotsa fun!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I wore Sonia Rykiel Woman to do all my errands today. Now I have to shower and get ready to go to our friends house to watch our beloved University of Tennessee Vol's ( short for Volunteers) play the sacred game of football ( I much prefer soccer) . I have no idea what my scent of the evening will be but my friend Will is allergic to so many frags it will have to be fairly benign

My Boss HATED Safari for Men ... so I came home and sulked and thought about changing jobs (not really) and plunged into more of the lovely "barbershop" lavender/bergamot "homme du monde" juice....so THERE.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze