Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Bottle Splitting

I have a question:
    Is it ok for us to talk about the subject of bottle splitting here on BN?
    ...or is it a taboo subject right up there with talking about decanting?

Your thoughts please!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Default Re: Bottle Splitting

I don't know if it's ok or not, but I have my eyes on a couple of fragrances, have my decant bottles ready and would love to split a bottle or two.
    Last edited by dimples; 2nd September 2007 at 12:46 AM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it and am not in jail or barred from the boards.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

I b'lieve we were told it was ok to do do splits, but exact rules haven't been stated. I've been working up a long list to post soon. I'm hoping to turn a bunch of full bottles into about twice as many half bottles. I think it should be listed in the marketplace section, not sure whether it makes more sense in sells or swaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if Taolady hasn't been jailed, or worse, for talking about splits, then I'm all for talking about them.

Anybody that is thinking of splitting (Kyra, dimples) I hope you are also thinking that INTERNATIONAL is a good way to share also.

Please let me know if you have any going, what & when, etc. etc. etc.

I would very much like splits of 15 - 30 mls. My hubby's birthday is coming up Oct. 1 and I'd like to get him a thing or two. He likes Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal, Fine Leather by Heeley, Idole de Lubin by Lubin, Rain by Demeter, Wood & Spices by Montale, etc. I would love L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque, Grapefruit by Jo Malone, & still testing others, so open to all suggestions.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I received this in letter form yesterday, postmaked "Folsom Prison", with a request to post it in the appropriate thread on Basenotes. Apparently the sender, who never identified himself to me, had done decant business with me 'back in the day' :

I post this for the edification of my fellow Basenoters~
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Call me "Itchmale".

And I am a Decantaholic. My real name I will withhold to protect the innocent. This is my story:

Part of my probation after spending 4 months in Folsom Prison for selling Decants on eBay is to give counsel those who think they can circumvent the Fragrance Industry Protective laws. I am concerned at the undercurrent of possible illicit decanting, guised as 'bottle splitting' , on e-sites such as Basenotes.

I started small as you are now starting, splitting a bottle of Axe with my brother, in whose van I was living. Soon I was decanting and splitting bottles with everyone and anyone. I couldn't stop. Behind restaurants,in bathrooms and in public malls, with bellboys and senators, I conducted furtive and clandestine deals on the fly at major intersection stop lights in medium size cities across this great nation of ours. (I recalled your name and address because no one else but you had ever been a repeat buyer of decants of Guerlain's underground frag "Icky")

I began selling my illicit wares on e-sites such as eBay and Amazon under the guise of such colorful names as ScrewTop and Madamizer. I was knowingly bringing the entire fragrance industry to their knees, costing them a bundle in lost new sales, and I was loving it. "They" (eBay?) even sent an asnomic hit-woman to 'take me out' with a public superspritzing from a specially prepared, noxious 10ml spray bottle of Britney Spears "Pantyless" (unreleased) but after the superspritzing one thing led to another and we ended up co-habitating in my brothers van as live-in lovers. My Brother and his lover graciously moved to the back seat.

Please, gentle readers, do not follow my path to perdition. Stop this highly addictive and patently insane 'bottle swapping' now, before it leads to hard core decanting, as it did to me, and even more importently, STOP, before you piss off eBay.

I had no shame. I am a Decantaholic.

Respectfully,

"Itchmale"

PS: (Please find a way to post this on Basenotes? Thanking you in advance with the enclosed 5ml roll-on decant of "Squeeze" by Sun Maid Raisin Company)

"My Decant List"

I present the above without comment, unabridged and exactly as I received it.

kbe
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd September 2007 at 12:11 AM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I received this in letter form yesterday, postmaked "Folsom Prison", with a request to post it in the appropriate thread on Basenotes. Apparently the sender, who never identified himself to me, had done decant business with me 'back in the day' :

I post this for the edification of my fellow Basenoters~....
    kbe

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

... after spending 4 months in Folsom Prison for selling Decants on eBay...

Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

...I present the above without comment, unabridged and exactly as I received it.

kbe
    Come now kbe ... surely you have SOME comment to make!

I will have to take this anonymous submission under advisement, however the thoughts of an "ex-con" that lives in a van, even a well meaning one.... well I think you can catch the drift of my thinking here.

And surely you can see what your post has done to 2 of our dearest ladies, what with T. falling face-first to the floor overcome with hilarity & Q. baring her jailbate "moon" to a public whipping. Well I am just aghast at what can happen with the mere mention of the word "split"!!

To be all boring and serious for a moment, surely, once you've bought a bottle of perfume in good faith, what you do with it afterwards is up to you? I can't see any reason not to split bottles in private arrangements with other enthusiasts. I see it only as a 'larger' version of decanting, and it's a way of sharing. I know I'm naive and so forth, but surely there's nothing wrong in disposing of your perfumes in any way you like once they become your 'property'.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I post this for the edification of my fellow Basenoters~

Call me "Itchmale".

And I am a Decantaholic. My real name I will withhold to protect the innocent. This is my story:

Part of my probation after spending 4 months in Folsom Prison for selling Decants on eBay is to give counsel those who think they can circumvent the Fragrance Industry Protective laws. I am concerned at the undercurrent of possible illicit decanting, guised as 'bottle splitting' , on e-sites such as Basenotes.

I started small as you are now starting, splitting a bottle of Axe with my brother, in whose van I was living. Soon I was decanting and splitting bottles with everyone and anyone. I couldn't stop. Behind restaurants,in bathrooms and in public malls, with bellboys and senators, I conducted furtive and clandestine deals on the fly at major intersection stop lights in medium size cities across this great nation of ours. (I recalled your name and address because no one else but you had ever been a repeat buyer of decants of Guerlain's underground frag "Icky")

I began selling my illicit wares on e-sites such as eBay and Amazon under the guise of such colorful names as ScrewTop and Madamizer. I was knowingly bringing the entire fragrance industry to their knees, costing them a bundle in lost new sales, and I was loving it. "They" (eBay?) even sent an asnomic hit-woman to 'take me out' with a public superspritzing from a specially prepared, noxious 10ml spray bottle of Britney Spears "Pantyless" (unreleased) but after the superspritzing one thing led to another and we ended up co-habitating in my brothers van as live-in lovers. My Brother and his lover graciously moved to the back seat.

Please, gentle readers, do not follow my path to perdition. Stop this highly addictive and patently insane 'bottle swapping' now, before it leads to hard core decanting, as it did to me, and even more importently, STOP, before you piss off eBay.

I had no shame. I am a Decantaholic.

Respectfully,

"Itchmale"

PS: (Please find a way to post this on Basenotes? Thanking you in advance with the enclosed 5ml roll-on decant of "Squeeze" by Sun Maid Raisin Company)

"My Decant List"

I present the above without comment, unabridged and exactly as I received it.

kbe
    Hilarious! This should be "sticky" on the market place!!!

Now, how about purse sprays?
    I guess itīs ok to lend your sister/friend/neighbor/whoever your bottle of Chanel no 19 for some time. To show her/his gratitude, this person lets you borrow her/his Dior Poison for the same period of time, and everything is fine. After a while you both decide that the scent you borrowed was better than the one you lent, so you both agree on keeping things the way they are.
    But what if both you and your friend had these frags in purse sprays? That would be swapping decants, alas illegal, wouldnīt it?

I really canīt see how bottle splitting is different than decanting, btw.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    Hilarious! This should be "sticky" on the market place!!!

Now, how about purse sprays?
    I guess itīs ok to lend your sister/friend/neighbor/whoever your bottle of Chanel no 19 for some time. To show her/his gratitude, this person lets you borrow her/his Dior Poison for the same period of time, and everything is fine. After a while you both decide that the scent you borrowed was better than the one you lent, so you both agree on keeping things the way they are.
    But what if both you and your friend had these frags in purse sprays? That would be swapping decants, alas illegal, wouldnīt it?

I really canīt see how bottle splitting is different than decanting, btw.
    But why is it illegal? It's not like you're passing it off as something else. I don't get it.
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I really do not know. Maybe it´s illegal *per se* (I´m so not a lawyer..), but I doubt the frag companies have much of a chance to stop you and me from doing it. Besides, I think the decantable section at our wardrobes would have been removed if it was .
    Maybe we all could have annual get-togethers at Folsom Prison (the best smelling jail ever)?
    Last edited by musse; 3rd September 2007 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Screwing things up
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

Wholeheartedly agree with musse on several issues: about "The Folsom Prison Letter" being stickied on the Sale Board and about the difference in letting partial bottles vs. purse sprays stay at different addresses! What a nice letter, kbe, if "he" sends you more letters/d****** please share!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    But why is it illegal? It's not like you're passing it off as something else. I don't get it.
    I don't think it's illegal but it is sort of flirting with the Basenotes rules of not allowing sales or trades of decants ... I would be interested in what Grant's interpretations are about posting notices about bottle splitting, but I would think that anything done in the privacy of PMs between consenting Basenoters are ok
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I don't think it's illegal but it is sort of flirting with the Basenotes rules of not allowing sales or trades of decants ... I would be interested in what Grant's interpretations are about posting notices about bottle splitting, but I would think that anything done in the privacy of PMs between consenting Basenoters are ok
    Oh! _Basenote_ illegal! You see, I thought you all meant ACTUALLY illegal. I'm so literal, it's embarrassing sometimes. Well if we have 'swap' sections on our wardrobes, then if private arrangements are made, a section could be added for 'splits' too. I suppose you're right about the interpretation...it's a bit of a fine line in terms of the appropriate use of this site, I guess.
    Bill Cosby

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please note the 'Decantable" tab in your Basenotes Wardrobe.

My own personal interpretation is that swapping or giving someone else some of your fragrance, not selling it, is acceptable. I will stand corrected if wrong in this interpretation.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Please note the 'Decantable" tab in your Basenotes Wardrobe.

My own personal interpretation is that swapping or giving someone else some of your fragrance, not selling it, is acceptable. I will stand corrected if wrong in this interpretation.
    The way I understand it, is that swapping decants is acceptable, you just can't post it. But maybe it's just under the Market Place area of BN ... I'm not really sure what would happen if someone say posted a thread in the Fragrance area asking if anyone wanted to split a bottle of "Fragrance X."

This is the posting that Grant first made:
    "From Sunday 15th April 2007, Members will no longer be able to list decants in their items for swap or sale. Only manufacturer's standard bottles will be permitted.

After this date, any post selling/trading decants will be deleted in their entirety."

And then a few posts later, Grant elaborated a little. This is just a snippet pertaining to sharing:
    "Getting a decant is a great way to try a fragrance you are considering buying. Members are still able to list fragrances they are willing to share with others in their wardrobes."

Please don't think I'm arguing about this. I'm as confused as anyone as to how this pertains to advertising a bottle split.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post

This is the posting that Grant first made:
    "From Sunday 15th April 2007, Members will no longer be able to list decants in their items for swap or sale. Only manufacturer's standard bottles will be permitted.

After this date, any post selling/trading decants will be deleted in their entirety."

And then a few posts later, Grant elaborated a little. This is just a snippet pertaining to sharing:
    "Getting a decant is a great way to try a fragrance you are considering buying. Members are still able to list fragrances they are willing to share with others in their wardrobes."

Please don't think I'm arguing about this. I'm as confused as anyone as to how this pertains to advertising a bottle split.
    I think what is being implied is that what happens behind closed fragrance doors, and any sharing/deals or advertising deals involving decants and bottle splitting, that are not made public on Basenotes and are private contracts between individuals, are beyond the scope of any Basenotes attempt to control them. And of course they are! How can Basenotes, or any other agency for that matter, actually control what it doesn't know is going on?
    --------------------------------------
    Last edited by kbe; 4th September 2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've put a "carefully worded" thread in the MARKETPLACE forum FRAGRANCES WANTED topic, for BOTTLE SPLITS, so I guess we'll see!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think what is being implied is that what happens behind closed fragrance doors, and any sharing/deals or advertising deals involving decants and bottle splitting, that are not made public on Basenotes and are private contracts between individuals, are beyond the scope of any Basenotes attempt to control them.
    The point of this being that people make these deals at their own risk and Basenotes is not to be held responsible if things go wrong.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."