Code of Conduct

Thread: Sacrebleu?

Default Sacrebleu?

I just received a very generous sample of this fragrance from a VERY generous BNoter and I have fallen head over heels in love :bounce: My entire family (hubby, 2 daughters) went totally nuts over it last night. I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on it because there are not really any reviews. I think DH may even spring for a bottle ( which goes against every principle he has, he normally refuses to indulge my addiction).

Default Re: Sacrebleu?

I have a sample that I haven't tried out properly yet, but found this review:

Friday, August 24, 2007 Fragrance Bouquet
    I wouldn’t buy a full bottle of Sacrebleu. I don’t really like it, you see. I wouldn’t want to wear it outside. I wouldn’t want to actually smell of it. But all the same, I can’t help admiring it, or craving to sniff it on my skin from time to time. It is every couple of months or so, when I will have forgotten exactly what it smells like, that my mind will prompt me to spray a little bit on my wrist to smell it again. Undoubtedly, something draws me to it. Unfailingly, this little something will tell me it smells like candied violet petals and it will insist that it wants to smell it again. Unfailingly that little something will be disappointed again, because Sacrebleu does not in fact smell like violet petals, candied or not. But for a while it will be satiated anyhow, for if Sacrebleu can be visualized as a color, it is indeed a deep dark violet – a viscous abyss I am more than content to swim in, if only for a while.

This is a fragrance full of richness and warmth. It makes me in a way think of an 80’s classic, and a reference to Cacharel’s Loulou will not be lost on those that know and love it. It is sweet and dense: Apply too much and you’ll be left tangled in a sticky mess, hot under the cover of a heavy velvet cape. Apply with caution though, and you’ll be able to appreciate all the little gems and flecks of gold that have been carefully worked in the very same deep purple velvet, now taking the form of gorgeous bustier. The mandarin in the opening is only a hint: You can smell it here and there, as though someone nearby is peeling the fruit with gusto and droplets of the potent oil are flying, threatening to get in your eye. The carnation and tuberose blend seamlessly as they simmer together in the folds of a fruity pulp. A sprinkling of cinnamon and cloves and the result is almost –almost- edible. What makes the sweetness bearable –and indeed beautiful- is a sword of sappy greens lancing through the mixture. And maybe, just maybe, it’s not just my imagination and the hilt is really made of green violet leaves.

Despite the impenetrable feel of a heavy veil this perfume creates, it somehow manages to also evoke the feel of washed, clean hair on a bright, sunny autumn day. The shiny, never dyed hair of a childlike woman: An overgrown little girl, really, getting her way through life, unaware of struggle. She is only barely aware of her real age, as witnessed by the short but at the same time sensible skirt worn over her Prada ballerinas. That’s Sacrebleu, inherently optimistic, if only because it doesn’t know any better.
    http://fragrancebouquet.blogspot.com/
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

I fall into the same group of liking it but not loving it. Nevertheless, as much press as Chergui gets, I'm surprised this one isn't a little more popular or respected. Both have that heavy, sweet oriental flavor about them as well as a deep, rich complexity. In the wintertime, though, this one can really be a welcome addition.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I love it! I was blessed to win a BNIB bottle for $27 last week.
    I think the review is right it does run in the same family as Lou Lou ( I also own & love that one too) and I'd add Ciara as one it's similar to.

I finally tried Sacrebleu maybe a year or so ago. I thought it was quite lovely- what I wanted Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue to be perhaps. Soft, a little sweet, a little sad. Unfortunately it didn't last very long on my skin. While it was there it was quite beautiful and whistful though.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I do own a bottle and have done for a few years.

OK I just hate the top notes, fruity and I don't like fruity. But give it ten minuites and it settles into a rich floriental very long lasting. I think it much better than LouLou, I was once told I smelt like beer when wearing LouLou!!!!!! LOL No it wasn't a man.
    DONNA

I love it and I own it, in extract.
    If you love it as much as me, try to get your hands on the extract, it lasts all day (on me) and it is even lovelier than the EdP. (swoon)

I'm all curious about this now. I wonder if it's available in the UK...will check my local Fenwicks at lunchtime..
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Parfums de Nicholai have a boutique in London. Sorry for the life of me I cannot remember where. There where actually two bouitques at one point, one was near the Kings Road.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Parfums de Nicholai have a boutique in London. Sorry for the life of me I cannot remember where. There where actually two bouitques at one point, one was near the Kings Road.
    Clemmie and Donna, according to her website, her London address should be 101a Fulham Road.

Süsser, I have been looking for Sacrebleu in extrait for a time but am unable to find it - they don't even have it in their online shop. Wonder if it has been discontinued?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Thanks! Next time I'm in London, I'll check it out.
    Bill Cosby

Basenotes Institution

I have never heard of this.

Cool. I love LouLou (I found a vintage mini of LouLou in a thrift store in Puerto Rico for $2 and it's strawng!). Reminds me of junior high school girls I hung out with, in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Clemmie and Donna, according to her website, her London address should be 101a Fulham Road.

Süsser, I have been looking for Sacrebleu in extrait for a time but am unable to find it - they don't even have it in their online shop. Wonder if it has been discontinued?
    Have you mailed them in France yet? Did they answer your mail? If there is a telephonenumber, they do speak english (I talked to them about a year ago, they are very friendly).

I remember the first time I sniffed Sacrebleu, It really wowed me and I pursued a bottle immediately. I love it for fall! I always get a soft powdery carnation vibe from it that makes me feel lovely and fresh. I find it to be perfectly blended and balanced.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Not sure if this helps.
    But the extract might only be available from the boutiques now. I do remember it on their old website and the bottle was interesting and a good size too.

I actually wore Sacrebleu yesterday. Have a number of Patricia's fragrances.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Süsser View Post
    Have you mailed them in France yet? Did they answer your mail? If there is a telephonenumber, they do speak english (I talked to them about a year ago, they are very friendly).
    No, I didn't but I will, since I tried to purchase the Maharanj online and got bumped back by the credit card payment process three times .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    No, I didn't but I will, since I tried to purchase the Maharanj online and got bumped back by the credit card payment process three times .
    I just PM-ed you some more info

Sacre Bleue was my second PdeN (after New York) and both wowed me for different reasons. On me NY is chimeric and as subtle and beautiful as the Northern Lights. SB is rich and fruity but still very soignee - never loses it's cool....really stays with you.. "Very French".....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm watching some Sacrebleu on Ebay as we speak. Not sure I'm going to buy it unsniffed, but I'm kind of 'hovering'. Hopeless case!
    Bill Cosby