Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Winter Edition (Preliminaries)

Woohoo! It's nearly that time again folks! :bounce:

The time for another fun, funky, frustrating and ultimately fascinating week of immersion in an amazing perfume house / range!!!

The Spring / Summer Edition was such a success that we agreed to revisit the line in autumn / winter to see how we experienced the line in different weather / season conditions. And that time has nearly arrived!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

I am posting this preliminary thread to give people plenty of time to order and receive their samples. Last time poor Serena was overwhelmed and had to close the shop in order to meet demand!! So I am reminding you all about this event now so that there is hopefully less chance of a last minute rush causing any frustrating delays...

We are hoping to run this initially for one week, with the post remaining a sticky until the following month (please, moderator?!).
    I am aiming for the week to begin on Saturday 20th October. That way hopefully most participants will be enjoying typical autumn / winter weather and will be inspired to participate.

It is a hybrid week where people can either stay the course for the entire week (wearing nothing except Ava Luxe original creations) or they can dip in and out as we develop the thread as another Ava Luxe Info thread and people can add reviews of any and all of the Ava Luxe perfumes they own or have tried. The only limit is that it would help if the focus was on how the scents work in cooler autumn / winter conditions. (Those in permanent sub-tropical environments should add their reviews to the Spring / Summer thread).

Schedule for Ava Luxe Week:
    Saturday: Oriental / Amber
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense
    Friday: Floral or Tropical

(I have doubled up some of the headings so that we can all experience, and share, at least one from each of the scent families / groups that Serena has listed, during the initial seven day intensive period. I have omitted the Luxe category as many of the Luxe beauties are represented in the other categories).

NB: Of course, participants are free to choose which ever scent they prefer on each day. The above list is to help simplify things for those completely new to the Ava Luxe range of perfumes or those overwhelmed by the sheer breadth of choice.

Serena has provided me with her personal list of the Top 10 Autumn / Winter must try fragrances from her line (they also happen to be her personal favourites)!!

Serena's Top Ten for Autumn / Winter

Madame X
    Film Noir
    Shisha
    Moksha
    Midnight Violet
    Ambre Antique type
    Café Noir
    Amber Essence
    Fire Wood
    Patchouli Leaves

I think a few samples of the above would be a perfect introduction to the beauty of Ava Luxe.
    So now is the perfect time to discover and explore this amazing niche range...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
    --------------------------------------
    EXCITING NEWS, PEEPS!

I heard this exciting news from the lady herself:

Quote Originally Posted by Serena@ava-luxe.com
    "This fall I’m going to release the Madeleine fragrance that was only available at The Apothecary’s Cat. I’ve had many requests for it.There’s also a Black Incense fragrance, and a Rose Violet in the works..."
    Woohoo!! You heard it here first, folks!!
    Remember there is a permanent 10% off your order if you use the 'basenotes' code when ordering!

Thank you so much Serena! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I am hoping that this will encourage all you lurkers and procrastinators to get ordering and adding your reviews to this thread (and the Basenotes directory) even after the week ends...
    Last edited by moondeva; 21st September 2007 at 10:44 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Summer Edition (Preliminaries)

Naturally, I'll be participating. I am also looking forward to her new offerings. Patchouli Leaves and Amber Antique came as samples with my last order as did Oude, which I adore.

I will, however, be unable to wait til October to start wearing them!

Please point me in the right direction if these questions have already been answered.

What would be the best candidates for Monday Vintage from her line? I know it does not have to be "Vintage" and can be a chypre instead, but I just wanted to ask which of her fragrances have vintage feel to them?

Are samples 1ml (0.32 oz)? (I saw 5ml EdP for $ 10.00) Are they $2.00 a shot? (Trying to do my maths here: 10x$2.00=$20.00 minus $2.00 leaves with $18.00 for a set of 10).

How much is S & H for a set of 10 samples within the USA? For International shipping to Europe? To Asia? To Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Remember there is a permanent 10% off your order if you use the BASENOTES code when ordering!
    ...and be sure to use all lower case!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

Serena has a 'Rose Violet' in the works? Oh my. That sounds dangerously good.

Looking forward to doing Ava Luxe again.

I think I am going to try: Madame X, Shisha, Moksha, Café Noir, Fire Wood, Patchouli Leaves and Kama Extreme.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd September 2007 at 06:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Please point me in the right direction if these questions have already been answered.

What would be the best candidates for Monday Vintage from her line? I know it does not have to be "Vintage" and can be a chypre instead, but I just wanted to ask which of her fragrances have vintage feel to them?
    She has a wonderful, much overlooked little catalogue of vintage inspired scents, many of which will be perfect for autumn / winter wear. I have not tried them all but intend to investigate further during the main week!

Checkout her vintage types / blends here: http://www.ava-luxe.com/vintage.html

I have heard great things about:
    Ambre Antique type
    Carnet de Bal type
    Chaos type (a personal favourite)
    Casque type
    Silk (another personal favourite)
    Venezia type
    Ingenue

From her main catalogue I would recommend the following as great scents with a 'vintage' feel :
    Ambre Essence
    Dark Chypre
    Film Noir
    Ingenue
    Midnight Violet
    Queen Bess
    Heart of Glass
    Madame X
    Rasa / Rasa Xtreme
    Bohemian Rose
    Vamp
    Red Carnation
    Opoponax / Opoponax Intense
    Moss

Are samples 1ml (0.32 oz)? (I saw 5ml EdP for $ 10.00) Are they $2.00 a shot? (Trying to do my maths here: 10x$2.00=$20.00 minus $2.00 leaves with $18.00 for a set of 10).
    OK. The original sample size was / is 1ml (0.32oz).

Because many people need / want more jus to experience before committing to a full purchase Ava Luxe have recently introduced a 5ml sample option.

Prices of individual original sample sizes (1 ml / 0.32oz) vary from between $2 - $4.50 each, depending on whether the blend is from the main catalogue or the premium Luxe range of scents - which feature more cost intensive ingredients. Therefore overall costs would vary according to the samples chosen.

For simplicity's sake a sample pack consisting of 1ml samples of Serena's Top Ten autumn / winter blends would cost:

Madame X $4.50
    Film Noir $2.00
    Shisha $3.00
    Moksha $4.50
    Midnight Violet $3.00
    Ambre Antique type $2.00
    Café Noir $3.00
    Amber Essence $2.00
    Fire Wood $3.00
    Patchouli Leaves $2.00

Total = $29.00 exc S&H

An average set which did not include the more luxurious blends would work out cheaper at $20.00 exc S&H. Please note that all orders using the 'basenotes' discount code will automatically receive 10% Off their full order amount (excluding S&H)!

How much is S & H for a set of 10 samples within the USA? For International shipping to Europe? To Asia? To Australia?
    I have no idea concerning shipping of samples around the globe - sorry! Shipping is calculated automatically in cart when you enter your zip / postcode. If you have any queries concerning postage costs just drop a line to Serena at info@ava-luxe.com. She is great for answering queries and very very nice!

I do hope this has been of some help!
    Last edited by moondeva; 3rd September 2007 at 06:45 PM.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Thanks for the update Moondeva. Black Incense and Rose Violet...cannot wait to wear these two.

I'm a complete Ave Luxe novice, but I ordered some samples a while back (mostly, if not all, musk based) and I'm totally in love with Gardenia Musk. I must get round to shelling out for a full bottle of that soon...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

That's one of my favourites too, Clemmie. Funny as it was a freebie Serena threw in with the samples I actually ordered, but turned out to be the one I fell in love with.

Thanks for the answers, moondeva! October 20th sounds like a plan and I am in!

October 20! Count me in, with a boatload of samples and a desire to try "Silk" which I was unable to find on the site. Rats! Anyone have a taste they can send me before October? I already have a few that are on my FBW wishlist (Kama Extreme and Firewood...)
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

summer means fireflys

Please help me choose some Ave Lux scents! I get so overwhelmed when I go to the site

ok, I want to participate in the AL week ... so i need 7 samples, right? I already have a sample of Film Noir that I haven't tried yet. These are what I put in my shopping cart:

Love's True Bluish Light
    Madame X
    Shisha

I want to try a musk or two ... I love incense and leather scents. I'm not crazy about florals or fruity stuff ...

Anyone try:
    Little Love?
    Sweet Absinthe?
    Patchouli Leaves?

oh I could go on and on ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I want to try a musk or two ...
    Kama, without a doubt. Kama Xtreme is little too much for me, but it's great if you're looking for strong civet.

I love incense...
    No. 23
    Incense
    Shambala Tibet

Basenotes Institution

I want to try a musk or two ...
    Try Vamp or Moksha.

I like Patchouli Leaves and No.23. I like most of her frags, but they DO NOT like me at all. However, the 2 I mentioned are the only ones that worked for me.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Nice musks:

Rasa (musk with rose...Rasa Xtreme is loved by some but has a lot of civet and is a touch faecal for me)
    Love's True Bluish Light (comforting vanilla musk)
    Pearl Musk
    Kama

There are others like Wild Blackberry Musk and Gardenia Musk that are lovely, but not all that musky to my nose.

Blog Entries

Please help me choose some Ave Lux scents! I get so overwhelmed when I go to the site

ok, I want to participate in the AL week ... so i need 7 samples, right? I already have a sample of Film Noir that I haven't tried yet. These are what I put in my shopping cart:

Love's True Bluish Light
    Madame X
    Shisha

I want to try a musk or two ... I love incense and leather scents. I'm not crazy about florals or fruity stuff ...

Anyone try:
    Little Love?
    Sweet Absinthe?
    Patchouli Leaves?

oh I could go on and on ...
    Take a deep breath, shadesofbleu!! It's OK! Exploring Ava Luxe is best approached like an 'All You Can Eat' 24-hour buffet...You have to pace yourself but not to worry because you have plenty of time to decide and of course, if you want to, you can always go back for more!!

Love's True Bluish Light, Madame X and Shisha are great choices! Film Noir is a personal favourite of mine also.

Other scents you may enjoy are:

No.23
    Chaos type (under vintage)
    Incense
    Silk
    Moksha
    Shambhala Tibet
    Biba

Ava Luxe has a great range of musks but your preferences will depend on whether you like your musks:

a) clean & soapy
    b) white (floral) & powdery
    c) skin-but better
    d) dirrty & animalic

Now my 'white (floral) & powdery' may be your HG sexy, and my HG sexy may be your 'overwhelmingly dirrty & animalic' so don't be too put off if the first few musks you try are not to your liking.

I think you won't go too far wrong checking out:

Nude Musk
    Egyptian Musk
    Tunisian Musk
    China Pearl

and of course you have already picked Love's Truish Blue Light which is an amazingly gorgeous creamy vanilla musk.

I have heard that Little Love is actually quite a sweet gourmand blend and therefore not an immediate personal choice, but those who like that type of scent do rate it highly. Sweet Absinthe is a very wearable version of the unique Absinthe. I adore the original blend so find Sweet Absinthe a bit 'safe' compared to it but it is still a delicious original blend in it's own right. I like it!

I haven't tried her Patchouli Leaves yet but plan to in the near future! Her Sweet Patchouli is actually quite yummy so I have high hopes for her straight take on patchouli...

I do hope this has been of some help!

OOooooo - I'm in! (Of course ) - Ordering my samples right away!
    btw - for Oriental-Amber, I highly recommend Ambra Tibet if you haven't tried it yet. It's so gorgeous and long-lasting it mesmerizes me every time I wear it. Nude Musk is another of my AL addictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    October 20! Count me in, with a boatload of samples and a desire to try "Silk" which I was unable to find on the site. Rats! Anyone have a taste they can send me before October? I already have a few that are on my FBW wishlist (Kama Extreme and Firewood...)
    Here's the link for Silk (which is gorgeous):

http://www.ava-luxe.com/scentindex/peaudesoie.html
    Last edited by Tovah; 4th September 2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

summer means fireflys

OK ... I took a deep breath and then jumped in the deep end!

My idea was to order 6 samples, to combine them with the sample of Film Noir that I already have, that way having 7 samples for the Ave Lux Experience week. Well ... I couldn't decide on just 6 ...

I ordered:

Love's True Bluish Light (love the name, of course)
    Little Love
    Midnight Violet (to give to a good friend)
    Vamp
    Shisha
    Madame X
    Kama
    Sweet Patchouli
    Venus Sands (one I wasn't really considering, but I love that name too)
    and I think one more, but I don't remember for sure. I guess that is what happens in a buying frenzy

Thanks to all for your help and advice ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    ]--------------------------------------
    btw - for Oriental-Amber, I highly recommend Ambra Tibet if you haven't tried it yet. It's so gorgeous and long-lasting it mesmerizes me every time I wear it.
    I'll second the Ambra Tibet. Lush, sensual, and well balanced. Not too heavy for an oriental of its caliber. Creamy, light vanilla, with a dash of animal sensuality. My choice for oriental/amber as well.

I have identified scents for each day except light musk/fresh clean day. I have Love's Truish Blue Light, White Tea, Kama, and Rasa. I have Kama Xtreme for the Intense Musk day and I would like to select something other than Kama. I am interested in your suggestions.

I like Pearl Musk for light/clean - though I hear Linen Musk is also lovely and fits the bill perfectly. Egyptian Musk is pretty clean and light as well.

Venus Sands is very nice, SoB (unfortunately abbreviation, lol!) Very holiday isle, but not too much so. It's sort of coconutty-gardenia.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    I'll second the Ambra Tibet. Lush, sensual, and well balanced. Not too heavy for an oriental of its caliber. Creamy, light vanilla, with a dash of animal sensuality. My choice for oriental/amber as well.

I have identified scents for each day except light musk/fresh clean day. I have Love's Truish Blue Light, White Tea, Kama, and Rasa. I have Kama Xtreme for the Intense Musk day and I would like to select something other than Kama. I am interested in your suggestions.
    Dear Sir,

For the Ava Luxe Fresh Clean / Light Musk event may I humbly suggest:

Congo Musk
    Linen Musk - a personal favourite but may be a tad light for the autumn / winter season
    Egyptian Musk
    The Beach
    Cashmere Musk
    Skin2
    Sheer Musk

Any of these should work for you though would lean heavily towards the Congo, Cashmere or Sheer Musk options.

At your service,
    Jeeves

I'm not much for florals, fruits, or citrus but I want to play! Here are the seven I chose. (I'm an Ava Luxe virgin... )

Ambra Tibet
    Incense Tibet
    Shambhala Tibet
    Wild Blackberry Musk
    Turkish Vanilla
    No. 23
    Kretek
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

To our resident enchanting Moon Goddess and the lovely Ms. Indiscreet,

Thank you for the wonderful light musk suggestions. I shall take them into consideration and order sampels forthwith. I need not worry about not having a thing to wear on Ava Luxe Light Musk day.

Gratefully yours,

M. Sloan

Exclamation Re: Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Summer Edition (Preliminaries)

Shopping cart disabled today. Hope this is very temporary.

summer means fireflys

My Ave Luxe samples came today!! :bounce: I only wish I could smell them, I have a cold

Serena threw in THREE samples too! (which I thought was generous, since I just ordered samples.) She must be part psychic, because two of the three were scents that I had considered in this order anyway.

Bring on Ave Luxe week!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 15th September 2007 at 06:52 PM.

Hmm I'm thinking about ordering a sample of Venus Sands, it sounds perfect for me. When will I be able to order a sample and how much will it be?

Could you also reccomend some other fragrances for me too? I like fresh but fruity smelling perfumes, not to much citrus. A fragrance that catchs attention. I love Creeds Himalaya, Millesim Imperial, and the new beachy one. So a mix of citrus, beach (coconut), and fruits.
    Last edited by thisbekevinn; 18th September 2007 at 05:32 AM.
    Looking for Partial or Full Bottles Of:
    Silver Mountain Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Scent of Peace

PM me please.

I think it was $2. The Luxe perfume samples are a little more.
    Venus sands is very nice indeed.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thisbekevinn View Post
    Hmm I'm thinking about ordering a sample of Venus Sands, it sounds perfect for me. When will I be able to order a sample and how much will it be?

Could you also reccomend some other fragrances for me too? I like fresh but fruity smelling perfumes, not to much citrus. A fragrance that catchs attention. I love Creeds Himalaya, Millesim Imperial, and the new beachy one. So a mix of citrus, beach (coconut), and fruits.
    The Beach
    Love's True Blueish Light
    Johri

A few that meet your criteria, in my opinion.

I absolutly love sniffing Ava Luxe Samples.

My favorite fragrances are
    Queen Bess
    Wild Blackberry Musk
    Indian Summer

Honorable mention: Green Tea

wow moondeva you said it all i cannot wait to try some it has been on my list for awhile but haven't gotten to it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thisbekevinn View Post

Hi there thisbekevinn! :wave:

I second all of mikeperez23's suggestions:

The Beach
    Johri
    Love's Truish Blue Light

And would add:

Venus Sands
    Vanilla Coconut

You may also enjoy:

Palisander
    Wild Blackberry Musk
    Fig
    Fig Wood
    Waterlily

Quote Originally Posted by my mascara View Post
    wow moondeva you said it all i cannot wait to try some it has been on my list for awhile but haven't gotten to it
    Hi my mascara! :wave:

I'm not quite sure what exactly I said right but thank you anyway!

I am really looking forward to this Ava Luxe Experience because my favourites from her line and those that work best on my chemistry are those that shine best in cooler weather. I either own or intend to own most of Ava Luxe autumn / winter top 10 and I am very eager to try the forthcoming new blends! :bounce:

I do hope that you will order a few samples and join in the fun!

Basenotes Institution

I do hope that you will order a few samples and join in the fun!
    Moondeva - do you have any idea when Ava Luxe will be up and accepting orders? I haven't ordered mine for Ava Luxe Week yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Moondeva - do you have any idea when Ava Luxe will be up and accepting orders? I haven't ordered mine for Ava Luxe Week yet.
    I'm not Moondeva, but I emailed Serena asking her when she thought the shopping cart would be up and running again. The reply I received on Monday, September 17, said about one week.

Wow! I haven't been here (Basenotes) in ages. It's good to "see" everyone again.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    I'm not Moondeva, but I emailed Serena asking her when she thought the shopping cart would be up and running again. The reply I received on Monday, September 17, said about one week.

Wow! I haven't been here (Basenotes) in ages. It's good to "see" everyone again.
    Thanks Pebbles - Monday will be great.

You are welcome, mikeperez. I hope she does indeed open Monday. I am itching to order Madame X in EDP and Love's True Bluish Light in EDP.

I confess to being a bit of an Ava Luxe-aholic. I have several 5 ml bottles of extrait, among them Cafe Noir, Rasa, Bohemian Rose, Shisha, Amber Essence, Film Noir, Orange Flowers, Little Love, Loukhoum, Linden Blossom, and my beloved Madame X. I also have many samples, including the lovely Ambra Tibet, of which I am tempted to order a full bottle.

I must check out the Fall Top 10 in this thread and see how many of those listed I possess.

I would love to be included in Ava Luxe week in October! The temperature where I am is finally under 100 degrees; anything under 85 feels like fall here, lol.
    Last edited by Pebbles; 21st September 2007 at 04:32 AM. Reason: My typing is as scattered as my thinking today.

I'm a little confused! Not surprising you say?? Well you would be correct!!
    Being in Australia, we are just going into our spring, so how am I/we supposed to participate?
    QUOTE: It would help if the focus was on how the scents work in cooler autumn / winter conditions.
    (Those in permanent sub-tropical environments should add their reviews to the Spring / Summer thread)
    This thread is entitled AUTUMN/SUMMER EDITION which is confusing me, and how do I find the SPRING/SUMMER thread?
    And when I do find it, what am I to do with it?
    And finally, if I have very few Ava Luxes, can I just use what I have and do maybe just a day or two????
    Thanks moondeva and anybody else who can help me!!
    Last edited by Sudsy; 21st September 2007 at 09:10 AM. Reason: PC problems, post incorrect
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
    I'm a little confused! Not surprising you say?? Well you would be correct!!
    There, there - Not to worry. I shall explain clearly and slowly and can take all the time you need...

Being in Australia, we are just going into our spring, so how am I/we supposed to participate?

QUOTE: It would help if the focus was on how the scents work in cooler autumn / winter conditions.

(Those in permanent sub-tropical environments should add their reviews to the Spring / Summer thread)

As another Antipodean posted earlier in this thread, this is a perfect opportunity to review the Ava Luxe blends that you have been enjoying during your autumn / winter (which coincided with our spring / summer)! Hopefully you will share how her blends worked for you during the cooler weather....

Alternatively you could take this opportunity (especially if you are new to Ava Luxe) to take part in the event but using scents more condusive to warmer weather. The Spring / Summer thread is still active and I would ask that you add your warm weather reviews to that thread to limit confusion. I would love to read what favourites you discovery in the warmer weather!

This thread is entitled AUTUMN/SUMMER EDITION which is confusing me, and how do I find the SPRING/SUMMER thread?

Thank you for pointing out the mistake. It has now been corrected.

how do I find the SPRING/SUMMER thread?

Here is the link to the Spring / Summer edition thread:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...uxe+experience

If you choose to join us during the Ava Luxe Experience / Week but are reviewing scents you are wearing during warmer weather, then please add your reviews to that thread. Your reviews detailing scents you have worn / enjoyed during cooler autumn / winter weather please add to the official Autumn / Winter thread when it is started.

Is that clear / Do you understand now?

And finally, if I have very few Ava Luxes, can I just use what I have and do maybe just a day or two????
    Of course!

This is not meant to be a trial. Just a fun way to explore and familiarise ourselves with a great independent perfume house!

If you would rather just dip in and wear / review Ava Luxe scents on only a couple of days that's OK. If you don't actually want to participate at that time but have reviews you would like to add to the directory and/ or the thread at a later date that's perfectly OK too.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

Default Re: Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Winter Edition (Preliminaries)

Hi everyone.. I'm making a wishlist for some samples but it has to stick to a budget, so can anyone remember how much they cost? How big are they? And does anyone know what the shipping cost to the UK is?

Oh and I almost forgot - does anyone have a recommendation for the best sandalwood based Ava Luxe? Any help appreciated!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blues View Post
    Hi everyone.. I'm making a wishlist for some samples but it has to stick to a budget, so can anyone remember how much they cost? How big are they? And does anyone know what the shipping cost to the UK is?

Oh and I almost forgot - does anyone have a recommendation for the best sandalwood based Ava Luxe? Any help appreciated!
    OK. The original sample size was / is 1ml (0.32oz).

Because many people need / want more jus to experience before committing to a full purchase Ava Luxe have recently introduced a 5ml sample option.

Prices of individual original sample sizes (1 ml / 0.32oz) vary from between $2 - $4.50 each, depending on whether the blend is from the main catalogue or the premium Luxe range of scents - which feature more cost intensive ingredients. Therefore overall costs would vary according to the samples chosen.

For simplicity's sake a sample pack consisting of 1ml samples of Serena's Top Ten autumn / winter blends would cost:

Madame X $4.50
    Film Noir $2.00
    Shisha $3.00
    Moksha $4.50
    Midnight Violet $3.00
    Ambre Antique type $2.00
    Café Noir $3.00
    Amber Essence $2.00
    Fire Wood $3.00
    Patchouli Leaves $2.00

Total = $29.00 exc S&H

An average set which did not include the more luxurious blends would work out cheaper at $20.00 exc S&H. Please note that all orders using the 'basenotes' discount code will automatically receive 10% Off their full order amount (excluding S&H)!

I have no idea concerning shipping of samples around the globe - sorry! Shipping is calculated automatically in cart when you enter your zip / postcode. If you have any queries concerning postage costs just drop a line to Serena at info@ava-luxe.com. She is great for answering queries and very very nice!
    Last time I ordered from the site it was approximately $10-14 for a large order including full bottles. I am sure a small sample only order will cost a lot less.

Indisceret has ordered from her more recently I think so she may be able to give you a better idea of the costs.

Concerning sandalwood recs - There are some great sandalwood dominated scents in the Ava Luxe range but which is best depends solely on your personal taste and chemistry. My personal favourite sandalwood 'soliflore' / dominated scent is Royal Parvarti but I have not tried them all. Many speak highly of Moksha which may also be worth a try.

If you adore sandalwood check out the following:

Royal Parvarti
    Moksha
    Red Tara
    Sweet Amber Wood
    Fire Wood

Thanks for your help moondeva! I'm not sure how I missed that post about sample prices!

Try Vamp or Moksha.
    It's funny what a change of weather can do to the interaction of a scent with one's chemistry. I have a sample of Vamp that I tried a couple times in the midst of summer, when the temperature was between 95 and 105 degrees. Ugh, scrubber!! It became tenacious, overwhelming, sickly sweet vanilla-almond-caramel on my skin. It literally made me nauseous.

Fast forward to today: high temperature of 75. I decided to try Vamp again after reading favorable reviews and wondering what I was missing. In this cooler weather, I love it! Now it has just a subtle undercurrent of vanilla, underneath spices and amber - and labdanum (which is the note I think I adore in Madame X).

Now I am really looking forward to the autumn edition of Ava Luxe week! I will retry some of the scents I didn't care for in the summer, and keeping trying the scents I adore.
    Last edited by Pebbles; 24th September 2007 at 04:23 AM. Reason: My brain works faster than my fingers, or it is vice versa?

I ordered my samples today along with a 30ml bottle of Loves True Bluish Light! I will be ready ahead of time....so unusual for me!

Ms.Moondeva - I am sooooo excited that you have decided to lead the Ava Luxe week. It gave me the motivation to do a quick inventory of my samples from her. I've been incredibly impressed with the wearability of her fragrances and how beautifully they are put together. And you are giving me an excuse to order more stuff from her.

I look forward to participating. Can't wait!!!!

Thumbs up Re: Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Winter Edition (Preliminaries)

did you guys get the newsletter re: new scents!!
    'Madeline' and 'Sin'.

From Ava Luxe Website!!

'Madeline' - Limited Holiday Edition

Soft sparkle of snow falling through velvety night,
    Sweet silent thought, memories tender delight…

Arabian musk, precious woods, vanilla bourbon and amber perfectly blended with fig, liquorice and milk notes and topped with a warming mix of brandy and spices. The perfect fragrance for a beautiful Christmas.

'Sin'
    The decadent fragrance of black opium tinged with amber and musks. The fragrance evokes imagery of siver screen sirens, flappers and international women of beauty and mystery.
    Key notes: Black opium, Amber, Musk, Vanilla.

Oooh yeah - sounds blissfull!

Basenotes Institution

I just ordered my scents for Ava Luxe Week - I'm psyched!

I'm hoping my Madeline and Sin will have arrived by then - it can take two weeks for the order to be processed and shipped (as it has to get from California to London!)
    I still have a lot of samples from before as well as my own AL collection...I've got a few now!

I received my order yesterday. I bought the large spray samples of Loukhoum and Ambra Tibet ( which is incredible btw if you even like amber just a little bit). I got a free sample of Sin and I like it, it smells very vintage to me.

Basenotes Institution

Just got in my brand new Ava Luxe deluxe samples today - in time for next Saturday!

I got:

Madame X
    Film Noir
    Midnight Violet
    Moss
    Green Grass of Summer
    Kama
    Madeline
    Incense Noir
    Incense Tibet
    Loves True Bluish Light
    Wild Blackberry Musk

I went kinda wild. I know, I know...

I got mine the other day too, but I got about 17!! Had to make the shipping cost worthwhile, that's my justification..

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh View Post
    'Madeline' - Limited Holiday Edition

Soft sparkle of snow falling through velvety night,
    Sweet silent thought, memories tender delight…

Arabian musk, precious woods, vanilla bourbon and amber perfectly blended with fig, liquorice and milk notes and topped with a warming mix of brandy and spices. The perfect fragrance for a beautiful Christmas.
    WANT!!!!!
    I have a thing about snow (won't explain, too boring) and this just sounds fantastic anyway. Comforting gourmand winter scent. Ach, how good is that?

But then I read about Sin:
    'Sin'
    The decadent fragrance of black opium tinged with amber and musks. The fragrance evokes imagery of siver screen sirens, flappers and international women of beauty and mystery.
    Key notes: Black opium, Amber, Musk, Vanilla.

Oh and I soooo want that too.

This is the problem with Ava Luxe. Serena is far too talented a writer. She describes things that make you drool wtih anticipation and lust. And then, dagnabit, she goes and follows though and 'makes it so' (yes, a trekkie too, I know I'm sad).

I forsee a future in which Serena goes to Tahiti for luxurious hoidays. Because I'm going to end up spending every damn penny I have on her perfumes. Ah well; she'll be rich and I'll be happy. It's a good trade.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I ordered about ten and am really hoping they'll arrive in time for Ava Luxe week. If not I still have a bunch of samples from last winter/spring.
    Gotta' agree with Wordbird that Serena has a great talent for making her concoctions sound appealing. (And fortunately they are as appealing as they sound!)
    Has anyone else noticed that the shopping cart on her site is disabled? I'm almost out of Milk (that sounds really funny), and am addicted and don't know what I'll do when it's all gone.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Winter Edition (Preliminaries)

Yay! Just two (2) more days until we officially begin submerging ourselves in all things Ava Luxe!! ARE. YOU. READY.....?!!!

Unfortunately due to other responsibilities / expenses I am not able to make an Ava Luxe order in time for the event so will be unable to join in with reviews of the newer releases. But I do have many samples that I can revisit so here is my possible scent itinary for the upcoming Ava Luxe Week:

Schedule for Ava Luxe Week:
    Saturday: Oriental / Amber - Amber Essence / Golden Amber / Sweet Absinthe
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand - Forbidden Fruits / Cafe Noir / Milk / Clementine
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage - Dark Chypre / Midnight Violet / Chaotic (Chaos type)
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk - Linen Musk / Gardenia Musk / Egyptian Musk
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk - Absinthe / Cashmere Musk / Kama Xtreme

Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense - Black Tea / Teakwood / Incense Musk
    Friday: Floral or Tropical -
    Viva / Tubereuse Diabolique / Silk

I have tried to pick scents that I am not to familiar with, or those which seem particularly appropriate for the season. I am so looking forward to this....

P.S. If after the event you are left with a load of samples that you don't want / need / etc please feel free to pm me. Maybe we can arrange for them to find a new home with me here at the 'Ava Luxe Orphan Scents Sanctuary'.... :toppie:
    Last edited by moondeva; 18th October 2007 at 01:18 PM.

Argh, my new Avas aren't here yet...darned postal strike.
    But I have plenty of FBs and older samples, thankfully.

Basenotes Institution

P.S. If after the event you are left with a load of samples that you don't want / need / etc please feel free to pm me. Maybe we can arrange for them to find a new home with me here at the 'Ava Luxe Orphan Scents Sanctuary'.... :toppie:
    LOL.

I will do Moondeva - Ava Luxe orphans need lots of love and you're just the one to give it to them.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

LOL.

I will do Moondeva - Ava Luxe orphans need lots of love and you're just the one to give it to them.
    Same here, I've sniffed some of my samples already and I know I won't be keeping all of them, so they need a new home!

I received my embarrassingly large Ava Luxe order today! I had some birthday money, so I splurged. I got 1-oz EDPs of Ambre Tibet, Madame X, Love's True Bluish Light, Wild Blackberry Musk, and Sin. I also got a 10-ml extrait of Madeline Serena had listed on the Etsy site for a nicely reduced price due to a slightly imperfect label. I own so many samples already, I just ordered one sample: Tuberose Diabolique. Serena generously threw in 5-ml EDP sample bottles of No. 23 and Incense Noir as gifts.

I ordered Wild Blackberry Musk, Sin, and Madeline unsniffed. I already knew I loved the others.

I love the smell of Sin! Hee, hee, that sounds funny coming from this church-going, seemingly mild-mannered elementary school teacher, lol. It reminds me of Coco in perfume form, or maybe an Opium second-cousin. I am not as adept as many of you at picking out individual notes, so this is just a general overall impression or feeling I got from Sin. I can tell it is going to be a favorite, along with my beloved Madame X. I will try it out on my gentleman friend later this evening when I meet him for coffee. ;-)

I may have a homeless sample, too. Tuberose Diabolique is just not my style. I knew gardenia-ish scents and I do not get along, but loved the name and description.

I have yet to try Wild Blackberry Musk, Madeline, and Incense Noir on my skin, but all three smell nice in the bottle.

Eeek, soon I'll have to devote an entire drawer in my dresser to my Ava Luxe obsession, with this order and my existing samples and bottles of extrait.
    Last edited by Pebbles; 19th October 2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: I am better at buying perfume than typing about it.

Blog Entries

Errm... Pebbles. I don't want to alarm you but you are on the precipice of a deep addiction that you may not recover from...

With my last order Serena sent me a free full size bottle of Rasa Xtreme Shower gel. I had begged her to make the scent available for other dirrty musk lover's like myself and. Anyway, Rasa Xtreme can be extremely 'earthy' at the best of times (which I adore) but on days when the parfum is way too much the shower gel is perfect. I mean simply divine! It leaves just the right amount of sensual scent on your skin that lasts and is perfect when you want to wear this powerhouse scent but do not want to offend.

I can see myself giving Serena an awful lot of my money for the foreseeable few orders as I want showergels and body lotions of some of her best loved scents for wearing / layering at times when the parfum is too much...

My current Ava Luxe body products (showergel / intensive body lotion) wish list includes:

Madame X - perfect alone, under the parfum or even layered under other classic amber / leather scents (Caron Tabac Blond / Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque)
    Film Noir - perfect alone, under the parfum or layered with other suede / leather scents (Serge Lutens Daim Blond / Gres Cabochard / Donna Karan New York)
    Midnight Violet - (if she'll let me) I think this will be amazing layered under other violet dominated scents and soliflores (Balmain Jolie Madame / Guerlain Les Meteorites / Rochas Mystere / etc)
    Amber Essence
    Royal Vanilla
    Milk
    White Lilac
    Absinthe - for summer heatwaves
    Cashmere Musk

*sigh*

I'm wild about ALs too! In fact I yearn for them more than many of the glossier big name scents, which really shocks me as I started BN as a bit of an AL sceptic.

Now I have bottles of:

Moss
    Madame-X (parfum)
    Midnight Violet
    Incense Tibet
    LTBL galore
    Bohemian Rose
    Incense Rose
    Egyptian Musk

and too many samples to name. I look at the site almost ritualistically, plotting my next spree. (wish the cart was back)

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    I'm wild about ALs too! In fact I yearn for them more than many of the glossier big name scents, which really shocks me as I started BN as a bit of an AL sceptic.

Now I have bottles of:

Moss
    Madame-X (parfum)
    Midnight Violet
    Incense Tibet
    LTBL galore
    Bohemian Rose
    Incense Rose
    Egyptian Musk

and too many samples to name. I look at the site almost ritualistically, plotting my next spree. (wish the cart was back)
    I'm with you on both wishing the cart were back and plotting my next spree. (My credit card cries for mercy....)

Wearing Ava-Luxe No. 23 today. I couldn't wait AND I wasn't entirely sure which category this fell under.

Since I'm new at all of this - is there an expected format for the Ava Luxe experience?

Thank you all for your help and knowledge. You all have no idea how useful these community boards are.