Code of Conduct

Default Any sleepers out there?

Having switched from a double-income-one-kid to a single-income-two-kid lifestyle has greatly increased my interest in low price - high quality perfumes .
    Now it's nice to have things like Pino Silvestre, that are cheap, classic and IMHO great, but even more intriguing to me are obscure perfumes in the low price range that offer amazing quality or creativity, though hardly anybody knows them. These frequently seem to be frags from second or third-tier designers, established on national markets only or even little known there. Réné Lezard comes to mind, a German fashion firm that's turned out horrid fragrances with the exception of the ingenious Identité. A recent discovery (on ebay) was Tristano by Tristano Onofri, another German fashion outfit from Düsseldorf, a very well-done late 80s concoction. My SOTD is Charro, from Italy, which has an amazingly good black pepper note and loads more. So, are you willing to share some obscure one-hit-wonders, hidden gems that deserve more attention?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Any sleepers out there?

Great question.

One that came to my mind instantly is: Acqua Della Macchia Mediterranea by Borsari Di Parma.

This gets lots of love on the Womens discussion board. If you enjoy VERY dry and VERY herbal scents, you'll love ADMM. I think the mid notes remind me of a classic fougere (Calvin by CK, or Rive Gauche Pur Homme by YSL) and the longevity is top notch.

I am not sure where to buy it in Germany, but here in the US the site 1st perfumes sells it for $14.99 for a 3.4 ox EdT.

This has sleeper written all over it.

Don't yet have it in my personal wardrobe, but Carven Homme seems to be in the "sleeper" catagory per several basenoters.

FWIW, I know several Basenoters have had BAD experiences shopping at 1stperfumes. (But places like perfumedistributor.com, which I trust from personal experience, have the Borsari Di Parma that Mike mentions listed for the same price or lower...)

--------

Anyway, I'll add Lacoste Booster to the suggestions so far. Picked up a bottle recently and am really enjoying it.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 3rd September 2007 at 09:27 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

The Comme des Garcons Cologne Range is very inexpensive and you get very large amounts of it - its a great buy and still in a sort-of-nice category. I know that they have decreased the size of the bottles from 17 ounces to 8 or 4 - Im not really sure, but if you did some searching, you could probably find the older, larger bottles.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid View Post
    The Comme des Garcons Cologne Range is very inexpensive and you get very large amounts of it - its a great buy and still in a sort-of-nice category. I know that they have decreased the size of the bottles from 17 ounces to 8 or 4 - Im not really sure, but if you did some searching, you could probably find the older, larger bottles.
    I loves my big bottle of Vettiveru . Anbar & Citrico are probably not my thing from the way I read the reviews. However, I would not consider anything by CdG a sleeper .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Vermeil - Jean Louis Vermeil 3.4 oz. 25$
    Provence Sante - Vetyver 3.4 oz. 30$
    Open - Roger and Gallet 1.7 oz. 12.99$
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 3rd September 2007 at 10:57 PM.

From my experience, those 2 sites are the same company and you can check the domain registration information:

Registrant:
    Manum
    1548 2nd ave
    New York, New York 10028
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: PERFUMEDISTRIBUTOR.COM
    Created on: 27-Aug-99
    Expires on: 01-Feb-10
    Last Updated on: 27-Oct-06

Administrative Contact:
    Sethi, Manoj perfumedistributor@yahoo.com
    Manum
    1548 2nd ave
    New York, New York 10028
    United States
    7184231555 Fax -- 2126288084
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Registrant:
    Manum
    1548 2nd ave
    New York, New York 10028
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: 1STPERFUME.COM
    Created on: 03-Jul-00
    Expires on: 01-Feb-11
    Last Updated on: 27-Oct-06

Administrative Contact:
    Sethi, Manoj perfumedistributor@yahoo.com
    Manum
    1548 2nd ave
    New York, New York 10028
    United States
    7184231555 Fax -- 2126288084

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    FWIW, I know several Basenoters have had BAD experiences shopping at 1stperfumes. (But places like perfumedistributor.com, which I trust from personal experience, have the Borsari Di Parma that Mike mentions listed for the same price or lower...)

My favorite sleeper is, Eau Dynamisante by Clarins. Citrus, herbs and some wood. I think it's around 25 Euro for a 50ml bottle. The shower gel is also quite nice - very thick, so a little goes a long way.
    I'll also second Carven pour Homme.

Hey, Jock_With_Scent, can you give us a brief review of those? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    From my experience, those 2 sites are the same company...
    Ack! My mistake: I've ordered successfully from perfumeoutlet.net, not from perfumedistributor.com -- and it does seem like perfumedistributor is the same as 1stperfumes, and therefore suspect (in my book at least). The perfumeoutlet.net site, unfortunately, doesn't carry Acqua Della Macchia Mediterranea...

Sorry for wasting space on your thread, good_life!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

That Man by Revlon (discontinued, yes, but still reasonable)
    Carven Homme by Carven
    Paul Sebastian Design by Paul Sebastian
    Vermeil by Jean Louis Vermeil
    Monsieur Morabito by Pascal Morabito (and really ALL the Morabito scents)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th September 2007 at 12:20 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Ava Luxe - Green Tea
    and
    Ava Luxe - Wild Blackberry Musk

Both are definatly sleepers and both are $45 for a 60 ml EdP
    Last edited by matreal; 4th September 2007 at 03:25 AM.

Pierre Cardin Pou Homme is a great value--someone recently called it "a poor man's Bois du Pertugal" On one hand, this is a good call--but this desserves a place on these boards on it's own right!

Carlo Corinto stuff should be cheap, but I've seen it in brick and morter stores for too much money. I think the first one, simply Carlo Corinto, is fantastic. Also the Vetyver by CC gets great reviews here but I haven't tried it yet.

I also think Molinard's Patchouli, Rafale, and Madrigal are sleeper über-scents.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

One of my staple scents is definetly a sleeper-Bogart Pour Homme. Sweet pipe tobacco and patchouli.
    I've seen 3.4 bottles online for about $20.00.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I forgot that I go for RL Chaps too. It smells like a poor man's vintage Tabarome to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I also think Molinard's Patchouli, Rafale, and Madrigal are sleeper über-scents.
    --Chris
    Thumbs up to Molinard's Madrigal. Do they sell Molinard in the U.S.? I got mine from Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I forgot that I go for RL Chaps too. It smells like a poor man's vintage Tabarome to me.
    Exactly what came to mind when i smelled it a while ago. Might spring for a bottle of this soon.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Exactly what came to mind when i smelled it a while ago. Might spring for a bottle of this soon.
    Yesssss! Right arm, KO brother!

Someone out there understands.

Lancome: Sagamore
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Lancetti Être Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Thumbs up to Molinard's Madrigal. Do they sell Molinard in the U.S.? I got mine from Canada.
    Hey, Ruggles, thanks for asking. Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

Yes, I've seen Madrigal for sale in the US, but only in smaller shops. One of them closed, since I bought a bottle there too. I've seen Madrigal and several others listed on online retailer perfume stores too. Much cheaper there, and where I'll get any next purchases of Molinard.
    --Chris

My top 2 sleeper recs...

Spazio Krizia Uomo
    Romeo Gigli per Uomo

Provence Sante Vetyver is a spicy vetyver that reminds me of cool, damp earth. Lasting power is about 4 hours, but at 27$ for 3.3 oz, I can't complain.

Vermeil - This is a smokey deep dark greenish brown smell. It makes me thing of 'Guido the killer pimp' making a deal in the back of a smokey Manhattan bar. Kind of old school in feel but fairly interesting too.

Open - Roger and Gallet- I bought this after sniffing on vacation. It a spicy, woody scent with citrus at the top, and drying down with a slightly soapy feel. I get a little of Chevalier d'Orsay from it and that is probably why I adore it.

These are my 10 cent novice reviews on these as requested. Geez...I suck at describing stuff.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 4th September 2007 at 07:28 PM.

Society Yachting - excellent marine
    Capucci PH - spice is nice
    Romeo Gigli - another warm spicey one
    Carlo Corinto - sillage city - excellent longevity
    Aspen - to me a poor man's Creed GIT (kinda)
    Preferred Stock - amazing drydown
    Canoe's pretty cheap these days but still classy imo
    If you can find it, Bowling Green's a good value

Best regards,
    Mike

Parrera Espana: Varon Dandy
    pipe tobacco in a soft leather bag,
    carried along in one of your trouser pockets.
    The wearer has to love the smell of tobacco/leather
    as the fragrance offers not much else.
    The splash bottle isn't very expensive.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th September 2007 at 01:09 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Dependent

all of the Salvador Dali fragrances carry low prices and some of them get great reviews. At ebay these should be had for a song. Something about surrealism? So the clocks melted!

Antonio for Men by Antonio Banderas...