Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default A 'new' Neroli from L'Occitane?

L'Occitane announced that it is releasing four (4) new fragrances, in October. The line will be called NOTRE FLORE and it's inspired by the company's Provencal roots and using ingredients from around the Mediterranean region. The bottles look similar to the cut glass of L'Artisan Parfumeur flacons and they have these very neat bottle tops that are crafted to resemble compasses. Fragrance names are: Myrtle, Iris, Cedre and Neroli. Prices are 62 Euro for 75 ml Eau de Parfum. Link here: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...1/3199553.html

However, I currently ALREADY own L'Occitane Neroli. Many of us Basenoters do. It's been the discussion of numerous threads on neroli and orange blossoms in fragrances ( http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=174937 and http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196642 ). A few of the people I admire here on Basenotes gave it such high marks, I had to own it. A very generous Basenoter gifted me a bottle and it is an amazing scent. Then this past year, L'Occitane discontinued it (thread here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194786 )

So, begs the question, is the Neroli scent listed above a 'new' Neroli scent or just a re-release of the original Neroli scent from L'Occitane?

Default Re: A 'new' Neroli from L'Occitane?

Lychee, plum, sandalwood, benzoin...I get none of those notes in Neroli EDP. It has to include cedar or some spices in its notes list atleast.
    -

I thought the conclusion was that Neroli was NOT dicontinued?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 4th September 2007 at 10:47 AM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

If any one knows where I can buy or swap/trade for the L'Oranger Neroli edp please let me know. In Canada it's vritually unavailable and the US L'Occitane shops will not ship or take payment from Canadian residents.

Thanks

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    L'Occitane announced that it is releasing four (4) new fragrances, in October. The line will be called NOTRE FLORE and it's inspired by the company's Provencal roots and using ingredients from around the Mediterranean region. The bottles look similar to the cut glass of L'Artisan Parfumeur flacons and they have these very neat bottle tops that are crafted to resemble compasses. Fragrance names are: Myrtle, Iris, Cedre and Neroli. Prices are 62 Euro for 75 ml Eau de Parfum. Link here: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...1/3199553.html

However, I currently ALREADY own L'Occitane Neroli. Many of us Basenoters do. It's been the discussion of numerous threads on neroli and orange blossoms in fragrances ( http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=174937 and http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196642 ). A few of the people I admire here on Basenotes gave it such high marks, I had to own it. A very generous Basenoter gifted me a bottle and it is an amazing scent. Then this past year, L'Occitane discontinued it (thread here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194786 )

So, begs the question, is the Neroli scent listed above a 'new' Neroli scent or just a re-release of the original Neroli scent from L'Occitane?

I met Gregory Daniel, the L'Artisan representative, and he let me smell both the neroli and the iris at Neiman's late last week. The neroli is not Tunisian, like the last one; rather, it comes from a region of France where (he claims) the soil is better and it doesn't make the orange blooms smell earthy like the Tunisian soil did. I thought the neroli was a little drier than the last version; I don't recall an earthy smell to the former one, but who knows? They apparently like the French crop better.

The iris was really beautiful. He mentioned some of the other notes, but I no longer remember them now. It really was extraordinary, but like many other L'Artisans, it was gone after about three hours. To be fair, he only let me have the merest spritz, so it might do better if one had more to apply...

Anyway, that's all I know for now. Will post again if I hear more.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 4th September 2007 at 12:24 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

It is officially discontinued. I just checked.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

JaimeB, do you really mean "L'Artisan," or do you mean "L'Occitane"?

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post

I met Gregory Daniel, the L'Artisan representative, and he let me smell both the neroli and the iris at Neiman's late last week. The neroli is not Tunisian, like the last one; rather, it comes from a region of France where (he claims) the soil is better and it doesn't make the orange blooms smell earthy like the Tunisian soil did. I thought the neroli was a little drier than the last version; I don't recall an earthy smell to the former one, but who knows? They apparently like the French crop better.

The iris was really beautiful. He mentioned some of the other notes, but I no longer remember them now. It really was extraordinary, but like many other L'Artisans, it was gone after about three hours. To be fair, he only let me have the merest spritz, so it might do better if one had more to apply...

Anyway, that's all I know for now. Will post again if I hear more.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    It is officially discontinued. I just checked.
    Well hirch, it's kind of confusing.

Yes, when I found out about it (it was on the shelves) I started reading about it on Basenotes so naturally I went to the L'Occitane website to buy some. It was nowhere to be found, so I emailed the Customer Service department and asked them. They replied and told me it was discontinued. Which was extremely confusing, since I had seen it on the shelves in the stores a couple weeks earlier.

I called local L'Occitane stores and they confirmed that it was dicontinued, but they had 1-2 bottles still in the store that they'd be willing to sell me. It was then, that I got my gifted bottle here on Basenotes, so I didn't pursue purchasing some at the store...

About a month later, here on Basenotes - someone said they talked to a L'Occitane rep who said the Neroli was being brought back, due to complaints from customers that it was discontinued. DIdn't surprise me. Neroli is IMO the best L'Occitane fragrance of any they've released.

Now, with this 'new' Neroli - I'm wondering what the heck this is...

L'Occitane has a track record for disconuing a fragrance and then releasing a new one with a similar enough name and composition to befuddle. I am planning to try the new Notre Flore Neroli and the new Notre Flore Myrte as well. They aren't on the website yet and the local store didn't expect them for several weeks when I checked in last week. If I love them, I'll snap them without delay. The much admired Neroli edp was discontinued while I was waffling about it and took a great deal of sleuthing to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    L'Occitane has a track record for disconuing a fragrance and then releasing a new one with a similar enough name and composition to befuddle . . .
    Trust me when I say that while the same name might befuddle, the juice will not. They tried to tell me last time they pulled this stunt with their Vetyver that is was the same juice, just different packaging. I told the sales assistant to call the corporate headquarters and tell them to stop lying, and I proceeded to point out the differences between the two formulations. The poor girl was devasted. It's hard when you believe in the company.

Removing excellent first off creations and replacing them with inferior namesakes is, it now seems, L'Occitane's shameless, specialty. Despite is image as a company committed to quality creations drawing on the heritage of Grasse and its environs, L'Occitane, it's clear, is a corporate wolf in sheep's clothing.

While I am on a L'Occitane mini rant, what's with their ridiculous, laboriously difficult to navigate website. Pay some money and get someone to build you a decent website FGS.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 8th September 2007 at 04:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    JaimeB, do you really mean "L'Artisan," or do you mean "L'Occitane"?
    Yeah, I really meant L'Artisan. I guess I thought that was what I saw in the original post. Maybe I need glasses, or maybe I just need more sleep...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

hah?L'Occitane discontinued Original Neroli?I was just at the store yesterday and there are two bottles left! I think I should snap both of them!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by abimanyu View Post
    hah?L'Occitane discontinued Original Neroli?I was just at the store yesterday and there are two bottles left! I think I should snap both of them!
    Good idea. Most likely they would fetch a good price on Ebay.