Code of Conduct

Default Strange Happenings at Neiman Marcus (Creed related)

Guys,

I decided to take the plunge and pick up a bottle of Creed's wonderful Imperial. I've had a couple good experiences buying Creed online. However from what I read I decided to pick up MI at retail. Funny thing was when I received my statement from NM it read fragrance purchase Laurice & co. Darn NM for only taking cash and their own card. Anyhow isn't Laurice and company Bond no.9? Do anyone know if there might be something to this? I thought Creed was wholly seperate from Bond.

Default Re: Strange Happenings at Neiman Marcus (Creed related)

That is very strange. From my understanding as well, they are in no way related anymore. I would think that maybe it just hasn't been updated perhaps..?

Yes, Laurice & Co. is Bond No. 9 (though they were once the US distributor for Creed), and yes, Neiman Marcus has broke off all ties with them. Maybe the computer systems of neither Neiman Marcus or HSBC USA (the company that issues their store cards) have been updated to the fact that International Cosmetics & Perfumes is now the official North American Creed distributor.

Oh, and NM does also take American Express in addition to their store card. Try using an Amex card of some sort (heck, even the basic Amex Blue, the Costco Amex, or a BofA Rewards Amex works) next time... not only will you not get that "error message", but you'll probably get better rewards, too.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Discovering NM's payment policy was my cue to feel free to sample scents in their store before buying online.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 5th September 2007 at 04:42 AM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Man, that policy is so out of date and just plain stupid. It will cost them my business, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Discovering NM's payment policy was my cue to feel free to sample scents in their store before buying online.
    Same here. Plus their Men's fragrance counter is never staffed so I'm free to squirt until there's no more flesh to be scented.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Same here. Plus their Men's fragrance counter is never staffed so I'm free to squirt until there's no more flesh to be scented.
    The male fragrance squirt area of the local Bloomingdales and Macys is usually totally deserted. Sales force is nearly non-existant all around. Although they don't have the widest choices available locally, what is there is up for squirts and as much as you can stand.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Man, that policy is so out of date and just plain stupid. It will cost them my business, at least.
    I agree... but they've had various reasons for it in the past, such as customer privacy and customer loyalty.

The real reason: Until very recently, Neiman Marcus had a 10-year exclusive card acceptance agreement with American Express. The agreement was very strict: in exchange for a lower merchant fee, NM stores could only accept American Express and their store credit card (which was issued by NM). And only American Express could issue a co-branded Neiman Marcus credit card (this part was never adopted). The agreement didn't cover Bergdorf Goodman or Horchow (also owned by Neiman Marcus), nor did it cover neimanmarcus.com, as it was launched in 1999 (two years after the agreement was signed).

However, the agreement ran dry recently, as HSBC Bank USA took over Neiman Marcus's store credit cards in mid-2005, although the American Express agreement had two years left. The HSBC agreement said that only HSBC (which is one of the five biggest MasterCard issuers in the US) could issue a co-branded card for Neiman Marcus. This conflicted with the American Express agreement. Shortly afterward, in preparation for the expiration of the American Express agreement, HSBC signed a deal with American Express to issue co-branded cards for various retailers on the American Express network. This is much like American Express's deals with Bank of America, Citi, USAA (the military bank), and GE where the transactions are only processed by American Express... they do not issue the cards, HSBC does. NM's American Express exclusive agreement was not renewed as an exclusive agreement, mainly so HSBC could issue a co-branded Neiman Marcus card that will run on the American Express network. NM's new agreements with American Express and HSBC also allow for other cards to be accepted at Neiman Marcus stores if NM chooses, but there are no firm plans to do so at this time.

The new NM Amex card is currently being tested among top Neiman Marcus customers, and will undergo a full launch later this year (at the time NM celebrates their 100th anniversary, of course!).
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I will never be one of their top customers. I was shocked when I first tried to buy Green Irish Tweed and the saleswoman told me they would not take my debit card. I can not afford to buy anymore Creed retail. However the horror stories I had read about GIT and MI made me buckle on those two. I still like going in and sampling the creeds. I find more respect for them every time I go in. I have owned 2 other Creeds bought online with good results. However I also have received some "Green Frich Tweed" and some funky smelling Himalaya. Anyhow I really don't like shopping there especially with heir payment policy. However sometimes you do what you have to do.