Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perfume: For your enjoyment or someone elses

Just a quick poll. How many of you get your scents with the intent of either getting attention or responses from people around you or is it for your personal love of the scent regardless.

In other words, do you ever buy a scent and than it illicits a bad response from people around you which makes you want to return it. Or do you always stand buy your owns choices regardless of what people think because you love it so much.

Surge lutens scents come to mind when i think of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Perfume: For your enjoyment or someone elses

You buy them because you like them. They make you feel good. There's no other reason to do anything. In general, when you feel good, those around you feel good.

Post Thanks / Like

Great reply. I just know people that return their scents if they get a bad response from someone and i always wondered why. The reson you purchased it is because of your first impression and that it made you feel something.

Post Thanks / Like

but also because it smells good in general...i mean honestly if everyone around you says that you stink...dont wear the cologne around them or take it back...there is absolutely nothing wrong with smelling good to others, but thats only my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

My own choice is what really matters. A compliment or two would be welcome but I can live without that. More than two: I either applied too much, or kissed too many!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Most importantly they are for my own enjoyment, but I would never want them to offend others. Smelling good to the outside world is a great thing, I just make sure I don't overdo it.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

both...

stuff like my jean patou and creeds...sometimes i just like knowing that i have them in my arsenal...

i also own stuff like issey miyake or ralf lauren to please the masses...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

GIT (Creed) is my favorite weapon for the masses :-) I have to be comfort with my fragrances, but i also care what i wear to which situation :-)

Ditto what yonggoh said -- personal stock for me; L'eau d'Issey for the masses.

Still, it's not pure altruism that drives me to please others -- it's vanity. Why else endure the migraines that the delicious Versailles pour Homme gives me if not to gather the multitude of compliments I get whenever I don this discontinued, expensive juice? Why else ignore the cloud of clove that hangs around me upon squirting Halston Catalyst if not to bask in the "Gee, you smell greats!" that invariably come after I have spritzed it? Why else spend a small fortune for the rich, honeyed patchouli of Balenciaga pour Homme? As much as I love it personally, I love the compliments even more. Why else reek of horny Seventies gigolo with Monsieur Musk if not to, well, get laid every time I wear it? I love ALL these frags, yes, but I love the attention I get from them even more.

Personal pleasure? You bet -- still very key for me. That's why I splash on Je Reviens (femme, yes, but OH the love I have for this Worth gem!) after hours while I'm alone, or Green Water (most folks HATE it on me, but, hey, me likie), or Fou d'Absinthe (am GA-GA about this juice). I spent $135 plus shipping to get FdA, but it has yet to garner me even one compliment. Why would/will I buy it again? Because, as I said, I'm positively ga-ga for it.

In short, you may call me a philistine -- and perhaps I am. But I'm not ashamed to admit that I wear certain frags for others as well as for myself. We all do the same thing with clothing -- why should scent be any different? I may WANT to wear khaki shorts to meet a client, but I put on a tie and trousers instead. I may WANT to go to my Da's 65th birthday party in a "F-ck Bush" t-shirt, but choose instead to go with an ironed casual shirt that he'll not get upset about. Same with scents, you betcha -- same reason I wear Aramis around him instead of Musc Ravageur.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 5th September 2007 at 12:36 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I buy my scents according to what I like
    I wear my frags according to the situation

Post Thanks / Like

I have thought about this question a bit lately, and have decided that I wear fragrances for my own enjoyment. In professional life it is very important to be very prudent in applying fragrance, and so I doubt that many others really notice it, but I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

For myself. I like smelling nice smells on myself and others. I put thought into what I wear around others and in certain situations, but in the end it's for my own enjoyment.

Enjoy!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

It is the ultimate selfish act--wear them because you like them, and the rest follow... or not.
    Last edited by Oviatt; 6th September 2007 at 03:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
    both...

stuff like my jean patou and creeds...sometimes i just like knowing that i have them in my arsenal...

i also own stuff like issey miyake or ralf lauren to please the masses...
    could not have said it better myself! Me too...me too

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is my hobby so I wear them for myself. I do take into consideration people I know who are sensitive to fragrances in general and try not to adversely affect anyone else with what I wear. Complements are welcomed and enjoyed, though.

I definitely wear fragrances for myself. I prefer wearing them close to me, with very little sillage.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First and foremost for mine.

Happily those near to me enjoy my scents, too (at least most of the time...)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I wear them for me. I don't apply heavily, so I'm often the only one enjoying them. My wife too, though she doesn't like everything I wear. I don't have many "for the masses" frags in my collection and that's the way I like it.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene