Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Cinnamon - The lists, the scents and the recommendations - 2007 edition

After sometime now, trying many different scents, sniffing designer scents, niche scents, etc. - I have found certain notes appeal to me very strongly. I have also found myself drawn to certain scents (in the past and present) and when I research the notes I see some similarities. Much different than a year ago - when all I knew was, 'I liked it.

Most of you know I am a card carrying ‘cinnamon freak’ when it comes to fragrances. I did my homework and researched old Basenotes threads, that contained lots of recommendations about fragrances to try with cinnamon featured in them (thanks Thrax and many others...).

Here are some lists. Most of the scents on these lists were cut and pasted from the old Basenotes threads. I put an asterisk (*) next to the ones that are in my 'Top 5 scents with prominent cinnamon notes to buy' list (or also known as my T5SWPCNTB list).

I own:

Baie de Genievre by Creed
    * Ambre Narguile by Hermes

I have tried and love:

* Sherbet: Cinnamon by Comme des Garcons
    White by Comme des Garcons / Costes by Hotel Costes (I swear these are the same scent…)
    * Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi
    * Santalum by Profumum
    Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle
    Noir Epices by Frederic Malle
    Bois de Paradis by Parfums Delrae
    Patchouli Pure by Fresh Index
    Obsession by CK
    JHL by Aramis / Cinnabar by Estee Lauder (see White / Costes…)
    * Rousse by Serge Lutens

I have tried and DO NOT LIKE:

Must Pour Homme by Cartier
    Pour Monsieur Concentree by Chanel
    Egoiste by Chanel
    Envy by Gucci
    Dunhill Edition
    Brit by Burberry
    London by Burberry
    Hot Always by Bond No. 9
    Catalyst by Halston
    Corduroy by Zirh
    Comme des Garcons EDP
    Spirit by Antonio Banderas
    Chergui by Serge Lutens
    Cypress by Acqua di Parma
    Joop Homme
    360 Red by Perry Ellis
    L by Lolita Lempicka
    Feminite de Bois by Shiseido
    Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

I have ‘heard’ have cinnamon and want to sample:

Amber Canelle by Creed
    Original Santal by Creed
    Maharadjah by PdN
    Carven Homme
    Witness by Jaques Bogart
    Nikos by Nikos
    Jaipur Homme by Boucheron
    Eau Lente by Diptyque
    L’Eau by Diptyque
    Vanille Cannelle by Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Zero Plus by Diesel
    Mouchoir de Monsieur.by Guerlain
    Carlos Santana Pour Homme
    Solo Loewe by Loewe
    LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligons
    Woods of Windsor for Gentleman by Woods of Windsor
    Fresh by Trussardi
    Uomo by Fendi

So, here’s my questions:

Which of the above list (those I want to sample) should I try first? Which one of the scents on my T5SWPCNTB list would you recommend? What scents (men or womens scents) am I missing?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th September 2007 at 04:19 AM.

Default Re: Cinnamon - The lists, the scents and the recommendations - 2007 edition

Givenchy Gentleman has cinnamon in it, you may want to add that to your list.

Default Re: Cinnamon - The lists, the scents and the recommendations - 2007 edition

You are definitely missing the female YSL Opiums.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll send you a Zero Plus sample this week
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Ava Luxe, Kashmir Spice--a must if you like Rousse.
    Bois 1920, Sushi Imperiale--cinnamon and nutmeg, smells like a fall holiday.
    Last edited by Sloan; 5th September 2007 at 10:11 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    How nice of u - thanks Robbie.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the motion on Creed BdG - probably my favorite Creed and one of my overall favorites. I'm not one who has a nose that's tuned enough to split out the notes in a scent in most cases, so I can't comment on the others except for Sherbet Cinnamon. That one is a pure cinnamon play IMO. Reminds me of being in the kitchen when cinnamon cookies are being baked. Warm, pretty long lasting, low/average sillage, and wearable.

Best regards,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend Maharadjah by PdN, even though it may be hard to find. It's not on PdN website anymore. The pyramid of Maharannih shows cinnamon too, but Maharadjah is the real thing

Post Thanks / Like

Corduroy by zihr is pretty damned cinnamon...its essentially grapefruit at the top and the rest is very cinnamon, plus this wont cost you an arm and a leg...truly a decent frag

Off-Scenter

Hey Mike, you're missing Cimabue from Dawn Spencer Hurwitz! Cinnamon, nutmeg, saffron, and opopanax, among other things. Yummy.

On your "To Try" list, I'd recommend Eau Lente and Jaipur Homme (EdP). I'm curious to hear what you think of Mouchoir de Monsieur. I found it disappointing, and I don't remember any prominent cinnamon in it.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 6th September 2007 at 12:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Parfumerie Generale - Un Crime Exotique
    Bois 1920 - Sushi Imperiale
    Jo Malone - Blue Agava and Cacao
    The Different Company - Jasmin de Nuit
    Jean Paul Gauliter - Le Male

Off-Scenter

Oops! I forgot another really great cinnamon scent: Epice Sauvage from Ayala Moriel. Superb - something like an extreme version of Michel Roudnitska's Noir Epices.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 6th September 2007 at 01:02 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful. Thanks for the comments and rec's.

I actually own Jo Malone Blue Agava and Cacao and I have sampled Le Male by JPG - I found absolutely no cinnamon in either. Must be my skin...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wonderful. Thanks for the comments and rec's.

I actually own Jo Malone Blue Agava and Cacao and I have sampled Le Male by JPG - I found absolutely no cinnamon in either. Must be my skin...

I get a faint background in Blue Agava however I do get some from le male. Upon further investigation it appears it is one of the notes.

Un Crime Exotique and Sushi Imperiale are the top on that list IMO.

Also, Black Pheonix Alchemy Lab's - Bengal

skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.
    Last edited by matreal; 6th September 2007 at 07:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I saw the name of the thread "Rousse" came to my mind. Fantastic stuff with an incredible dry down. You have great taste!
    Last edited by The Duke; 6th September 2007 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hola, Mike,
    An interesting list. Some of those must have fairly muted cinnamon in them.

I also love the smell of cinnamon. You have excellent taste!

For a prominent blast of cinnamon, Carlos Santana is great. It's also got a very pleasing subtle soap accord. I think Marlen turned me onto that. It's also dirt cheap.

Also, Jaipur is a favorite of mine. It's exotic elegance and sensuality to me. But in this one, the cinnamon is not the first thing I notice. I have the EDT, not EDP, btw. It's very strong and distinct, not really a blind-buyer unless you're adventurous.

Ciao, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't really like cinnamon all that much (I say that, having just eaten four cinnamon raisin english muffins and having freshly applied my brand new Ambre Cannelle)

I guess maybe I do like it, but it has to be incorporated into something in the right way. I've got Baie de Genievre as well. Diesel Zero Plus was the first scent that came into my mind when I saw this thread. It looks like you've already got a sample on the way! It is pure cinnamon, imo...maybe you'll like it. I like Burb London and thought Corduroy was pretty good too, so maybe we just have different cinnamon tastes.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    ahhh ZERO PLUS=creamy cinnamon....great stuff

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

So...

I've been busy trying out some of my original 'to try' and the ones you all recommended.

Here's an update of scents I have sampled:

Diesel Plus Zero by Diesel - thanks Robbie...however I immediately did not like this. It reminded me of a chemical hair dye my mom used to use. Mixed with cinnamon. I really wanted to like this cause it's crazy cheap, but I don't.

Cinnabar / JHL by Estee Lauder/Aramis - thanks shadesofbleu...this perhaps belongs on its own thread but I am not getting much cinnamon from these two...they are just pure oriental scents: amber, spices, patch...perhaps cinnamon is there underneath all of that but I ain't getting it. Don't get me wrong these are nice scents. Perhaps if I lived in a cooler part of the country (where they actually have winter) I'd have an excuse to wear these two. I still want to try the YSL Opium's (womens and mens) though.

Original Santal by Creed - no, no, no, no. I don't like this. Not meaning to offend its fans, but this is not for me.

Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi - thanks tvlampboy...see Diesel Plus Zero. I thought this would be a no brainer: cinnamon and incense. I almost bought this blind. But, the sharpness of the cinnamon was almost L'Anarchiste-ish and my nostril hairs never really recovered.

Scents on their way to me: Witness (thanks tvlampboy) and Eau Lente (thanks rentboy)

Scents that I will be sampling soon: Tea for Two and Ambre Extreme by L'Artisan (thanks shadesofbleu).

Scents I now own that are cinnamon-y good: Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi (cinnamon nirvana) and Santalum Profumum (thanks comdiva - cinnamon under a heavy top coat of sandalwood)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th October 2007 at 09:22 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Get Jaipur Homme EDP by Boucheron.

Right now, I can't think of a better scent in existence. When comparing other fragrances to it, nothing comes even remotely close to being as smooth, refined, classy, alluring, comforting, etc... It's not even fair to compare it to other fragrances really (IMO), so I'll stop there.

Post Thanks / Like

Something to keep in mind is that the cinnamon in Baie de Genievre is from the leaf and smells very different from the traditional bark--much like juniper smells different if it is from the berries (as in Baie de Genievre) which has a gin-like smell, or from the wood of the plant (like in l"Occitaine's Cade).

Baie de Genievre rocks, in my opinion.

Rousse ,Maharadhja, Maharanhi, Baie de Genievre,Arabie...

I'll think of more.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really want to make a longer list but I didn't see my two favorite cinnamon scents.

Querelle by Parfumarie Generale - a parfum extact at 22.5% concentration

H.O.T. Always by Bond #9

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the very best threads I have come across on BN. I'm going through a major cinnamon phase right now, and this is exactly what I needed. Even though the thread is over three years old, Mike has earned my first official "Thanks" on the forum

Anyone have any additions over the past three years? I'll start with Italian Cypress
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Buxton Nameless

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Post Thanks / Like

Varvatos Vintage, a little too sweet for me though...

Post Thanks / Like

Have samples of
    * Sherbet: Cinnamon by Comme des Garcons
    * Santalum by Profumum

en route
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    This is one of the very best threads I have come across on BN. I'm going through a major cinnamon phase right now, and this is exactly what I needed. Even though the thread is over three years old, Mike has earned my first official "Thanks" on the forum

Anyone have any additions over the past three years? I'll start with Italian Cypress
    You're welcome.

I do need to re-do this one, thanks for the reminder. There's a bunch of fragrances that should be added to the list.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, did you ever get a chance to try Maharadjah?
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Mike, did you ever get a chance to try Maharadjah?
    Ah yes, I did. Honestly I get it and Maharanih confused. But they both feature the PdN 'house' accord very prominently and I'm not sure if it was the intensity of the aromatics coupled with the cinnamon butt smelled waxy and starchy to me. Uncomfortably so. I really wanted to like this one, but ultimately I fell for Nicolai Pour Homme instead.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I'm digging the burnt cinnamon in Serge Noir quite a bit these days.