Code of Conduct

Default Help! Alternatives to very expensive tastes?

My girlfriend and I visited the Perfume House in Portland, Oregon yesterday and walked out with a few samples to contemplate before making our purchases. Or, more accurately, purchases I would be making.

However, there is one problem... the only scents that she outwardly expressed interest for were far higher than my budget can handle! What i'm looking for is some help in finding more affordable alternatives to these scents. I hate the idea of choosing "inferior" scents and I realize some are unique due to the exclusivity of some of the ingredients available for use only by the super high-end design Houses (auods for Montale, for example). However, part of me believes she was made her decisions in part with the idea of associating cost with what she likes. In other words, she found something she liked, found it was expensive (read: exclusive) and no longer was interested in less expensive scents. And of course our SA was more than happy to indulge her expensive taste and brush aside my concerns. *sigh*

With that said, here is what she liked, most to least:
    - Clive Christian 1872 for Women (a lot)
    - Rancé Joséphine (though she's now wavering on this one, "too powdery")
    - Motale Wood - Spices, Black Aoud and Royal Aoud (she didn't seem to gravitate more toward one than the others)
    - Carthusia Aria di Capri (I can afford this one, but she only "liked" it. She was much more wowed by the above.)

If it's any help, here's what she currently owns:
    - Lancôme Trésor
    - Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil (her every day frag)
    - Chanel Coco

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 6th September 2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Title

Default Re: Help! Alternatives to very expensive tastes?

It's tough to change a woman's mind once it's made up. If I simply "like" a perfume, I wouldn't wear it. If I love it and it's wearable, it will be worn and the fragrance will be a constant reminder of the person who gifted me with it.

She doesn't have too many fragrances in her collection -- I say that it's better to spend much money and have her use the fragrance rather than to spend smaller amount of money and have the bottle sit around unused. If you can, budget in other areas to afford this one purchase.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I got some good advice when I was yearning for a very expensive Creed: save up.
    I know it's a shame when you want to give her something right now, but perhaps you should save up for one of these very special fragrances for her Xmas present. She'll appreciate it, I'm sure.
    In the meantime, you could buy her something little if you want to give her a present.
    Does that help at all?

My advice is find that stuff on ebay or on basenotes ... if she won't get offended by slighly used stuff, even better - I got my 4oz Millesime Imperial legit for $65, and Creed same size for $60, SNW for $50 - all legit, all slightly used. But you can find new things like Hermes Jardin en Meditérannée for $50 on ebay. Other than that, I don't think there's much alternative - cheaper stuff really does smell cheaper!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 6th September 2007 at 09:45 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Yoikes! She DOES have expensive tastes.

The Perfumed Court has the Clive Christian 1872. I'd highly recommend going with a decant to be sure she loves the juice.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I have found for me personally there is no cheaper alternative to expensive taste. It appears to be a genetic flaw i was born with and have passed on to my children ( my husband is very frugal and non materialistic....I make up for his lacking though). I would rather have one expensive, very nice fragrance as opposed to several others. There really is no good substitute for quality.
    Last edited by tdi; 7th September 2007 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. To be clear, I'm not avoiding her choices because they're expensive. We are on vacation 2000 miles from home and I choose the Perfume House as a special destination on our trip. While we're here, I'd like to purchase two perfumes: one for each of us. I'm only looking for alternatives she could try (and maybe be more happy with, who knows?) because her choices are either beyond what I am able to afford while here in Portland or would leave me empty handed when we return to Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Yoikes! She DOES have expensive tastes.

The Perfumed Court has the Clive Christian 1872. I'd highly recommend going with a decant to be sure she loves the juice.
    Ah, excellent idea. I believe i'll go this route for now, to be sure the few fleeting sniffs of a 1872 doused cottenball in the shop still resonate for her after a few days of wearing it on skin. If so, I'll be saving up for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    It's tough to change a woman's mind once it's made up
    As a married man, i know what you're talking about .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I think decants are a good way to go. But as far as budget-yet-quality, I think Crazy Libellule and the Poppies should take first place. They're terrific, $16 each, and travel-friendly. Otherwise, just savin' up, I guess!