Code of Conduct

Default Sarrasins. Ooh, so excited!

I've just ordered a 5ml bottle. I can't wait to smell that jasmine. Whee!!

Sorry, I just had to come here and bounce up and down like a 5-year-old.

:-)))
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Default Re: Sarrasins. Ooh, so excited!

enjoy Clemmie! You're enthusiasm (sp?) is infectious!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Basenotes Institution

Feel free to bounce away!

Please repost your thoughts once you receive it - I have a soft spot already for jasmine from Serge Lutens (A la Nuit) and want to know how it is different.

you can order a 5ml bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    you can order a 5ml bottle?
    Yes. From a lady wot sells them online. I'll get you the info...hang on...
    --------------------------------------
    It's www.pinkmagenta.com.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 8th September 2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bill Cosby

yay i love it when someone else gets this excited by perfume... none of my friends seem to realise how exciting it is to buy perfume

Hardly any of my friends are at all into perfume - and do post a review, I'm really intersted in this one as I'm a jasmine lover and A La Nuit didn't work well on me most days.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I'll be happy to post a review, so long as you remember I'm no expert, I just go with what my nose tells me, and the feeling/colour/mood I get from the perfume. I wish I could speak in that splendidly knowledgeable way our experts can, but I'm just an enthusiastic amateur when it comes to that. I'm off on holiday soon, and I suspect the perfume won't arrive before I leave. Something to look forward to on homecoming... :-)
    Bill Cosby

I share my impressions with you at the end of my second day wearing Sarrasins.
    On my skin, it opens up with a blast of jasmine, some sweetness, and something that reminds me of the famed gasoline/embalming fluid in Tubéreuse Criminelle's start.
    Fear not! In minutes, Sarrasins shows its true soul: soft jasmine, somewhat dusky, somewhat smoky, and very tender. In the background I smell spice - black pepper, cardamom? - a touch of "the animal" (no big cat here, a royally calm Persian at best) and a note smelling a bit like doll head, which I find not unpleasant and quite addictive. However, it is all very muted, like a form perceived behind a thick veil of gauze. The background of notes plays a pianissimo, and the jasmine in the spotlight hums along and does never sing out in a loud soprano voice. No sugar syrup or honey dripping either. Elegant and understated: not the adjectives I ever thought of chosing for a Serge Lutens scent . And it does not conjure up any nocturnal image, if not for the fabulous deep purple colour! Alas, It does not develop much further, and longevity could be better (approx. 4 hours). I am going to test sillage tomorrow at work
    As a last note, for comparison, I dismissed A la Nuit almost immediately when I tried it as being a much too harsh, indolic and shrill jasmine soliflore for my tastes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Beautiful reviews so far! Thanks bunches.

Clemmie - you're another PinkMagenta fan!
    She's responsible for my Virgin Island Water craving all summer - bless her.
    I've been humming and hawing about the Sarrasins, but I think I might have to do it.

I smelled real jasmine at my best friend's house on Friday night. Mine hasn't bloomed at all this wet summer, but hers has just gone bonkers in the September warmth and has bloomed like mad. So of course I had to have a good snuffle in her bushes. By jingo! It really packed a punch! I'd forgotten how potent and animalic the real flower is. Coupled with Lady's description, I'm now very tempted to lash out on a decant...

I agree Clemmie - how very exciting!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Ooh, I got an email from Jennifer today. My Sarrasins is in the post. I might even get it tomorrow...just in time for my holiday. She was just as excited as me - she said 'it's violet!' (I knew that)
    Bill Cosby

That's one thing about working in a rather nice residential area of London - I get to walk past a lot of lovely gardens on the way to work. There's a couple of jasmine plants and I can smell them quite a few feet away. I also enjoy smelling the roses.

It has arrived. I'm travelling soon, so don't have time for full review, but first impression is that it's gorgeous, and I need to compare it side by side with A La Nuit in order to do it justice review-wise. That's not going to happen for a couple of weeks...
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I need to compare it side by side with A La Nuit in order to do it justice review-wise.
    I compared them yesterday, but I have only the wax sample of Sarrasins, so won't say more than that A la Nuit is sunnier, brighter, more "wet" and Sarrasins darker and "velvety", with an interesting side note. Want to try it in liquid form before saying anything even remotely definite.

Looking forward to your review!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I also received the wax sample and really love it, it's a real "Jasmine-Jasmine"! I prefer it to A La Nuit that has the tendency to go too funky on me, but at least the wax sample remains it's very natural character. I think the black colour of the juice is a little silly though, nothing but a visual gimmick, but I wonder whether it stains the clothes?

Quick update: the sillage is apparently nil. I got absolutely no spontaneous comment and people standing near me couldn't identify it. However, I can smell it nicely on my skin and clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by jazztweety View Post
    I also received the wax sample and really love it, it's a real "Jasmine-Jasmine"! I prefer it to A La Nuit that has the tendency to go too funky on me, but at least the wax sample remains it's very natural character. I think the black colour of the juice is a little silly though, nothing but a visual gimmick, but I wonder whether it stains the clothes?
    Hi jt, nice to see you posting again! Oh yes, it stains a bit, but not more than La Myrrhe. And when I spritz it on the inside of my wrist, I can clearly see it...but that fantastic purple colour is part of its appeal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by jazztweety View Post
    I prefer it to A La Nuit that has the tendency to go too funky on me
    That's exactly my problem with A La Nuit. The first time I tried it I was in heaven, as I'm a big jasmine lover with a bush at home. However, when I bought a bottle, I was afraid it had gone bad or something because it smelled off and weak. Then I went to the same store and tried the same bottle when I first tried it and it was also off in the same way. A couple of days later it was great again. I ended up selling it. Eager to try Sarrasins but don't expect to get a bottle unless I ever travel to France!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I'm dying to try Sarrasins... some jerk on an auction site is selling bottles for $310! I really hope that NOBODY buys from them at such a ridiculously unfair price. Ugh. If I had enough money I would buy bottles from Paris and resell them at a fairer price.

Basenotes Institution

The limited edition bell jar is friggin gorgeous: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...tens_perf.html

Banned

lets revive this theme

one question how does Sarrasins cope with IFRa ruels, should i pay attention to what i buy? are new jars as good as the old ones?

thank you!!

Who knows ... I smelled it last year and the jasmine was there, but I don't know if and when new batches will be produced, so one has to check. Perhaps our Parisian friends can tell us something about what's in the store right now.

cacio

It smelled alright in April when I was in Paris.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    [. . . ] and a note smelling a bit like doll head, which I find not unpleasant and quite addictive.
    Yes! That's the note and I love the description. I noticed a "plasticky", sweaty note in my Sarrasins (2012), like the bottom of a toybox, and found it to be quite nostalgic. Doll head sums it up so much better. In fact, that would be a great name for a perfume.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I bought a bell jar this year, still smells as when it was released.