Code of Conduct

Default Its all about Chocolate

One hole in my wardrobe was the scent of chocolate. I own Rochas Man, but it seems so...I dunno. After discussing this with the sales folks (who remember my name, not a good sign), I finally decided to get IL Profumo's Chocolat Amere. At first, I was hesitant because the tester bottle sizes were incredibly small, but thankfully she told me that those were the standard tester sizes from IP. Amere has a harsh opening, kinda Musc Ravageurish, then it settles into a masculine chocolate. The kind of bittersweet chocolate that you would find in Williams-Sonoma. In fact, I would say that if you replaced the vanilla in Musc Ravageur with chocolate, you would have Amere. Its long lasting as I can still smell it on my arm, several hours later. For the price, I thought this was a good buy.

UNTIL!

I had already paid and was chit-chatting when I noticed on the counter: the new Montales. One of which was Chocolate Greedy. Curious, I sprayed it on a tester strip, and WOW! She said is smelled just like freshly baked chocolate cake and I totally concur. Its velvety, airy, mmmmhhmmm, makes me hungry just thinking of it. What an awesome, awesome scent. Reminds me of Sprinkles cupcakes, for those who are familiar with that store in LA. I know this is strictly marketed for women (not unisex), but I may very well return the Amere for this...She made me a 2 mL vial sample (sweet!) and I'll test it furher to see if I'm making a return trip to Luckyscent soon.

I've been wanting to buy Crime Exotique but I'm still wondering about the gender thing with this one as well.

Chris
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 7th December 2007 at 08:06 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Default Re: My visit to Luckyscent: Its all about Chocolate

I'm not big on gourmands but now I'll definatly have to try Chocolate Greedy.

Un Crime Exotique is perfectly ok for men. I'm a fairly manly man if I do say so myself and I have no problem wearing it.

Basenotes Institution

I have a sample of Chocolate Greedy in my sample pile. It is going straight to the top of the pile after your comments. I was drooling just reading about it...sounds great, despite the ultra-cheesy name.

Interesting review (and congrats on your winning smile!).

I tried CSP's Amour de Cacao a few days ago and it had a distinctly "cakey" quality (rather than the smoother, liquor-like scent of a dark-chocolate bar or the vanillic/milky quality of a milk-chocolate bar). But not in a good way. Chocolate Greedy sounds more to my taste than the CSP, probably also more than the Il Profumo; but a chocolate fragrance isn't at the top of the list of things I crave right now.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

How do you compare the Amere to the original? I had a sample from them of the original and it's right up there on the top of my wishlist, but I'd like to find out a bit more about the rest of the Chocolat line before I just grab a bottle.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I didn't try the original...I didn't even know there was an original. The Amere was in the men's section by itself

Update: the Montale is very long lasting. Not surprising, all of the Montales I've tried are potent. However, Chocalate Greedy doesn't seem to evolve as much as the Amere does; its chocolate cake through and through (not a bad thing).

Mike, let me know what you think when you get around to trying it.

According to the sample-postcard Lacoste Elegance has a unique dry chocolate accord.

I don't recall if they have the Serendipity scents (Serendipity III is the one I believe I'm thinking of), but if they do, try it just for grins. I remember getting a sample of this from a dear Basenoter and it flat-out reminded me of Oreo cookies!!!

Mat;Chocolat is another good chocolate scent to try out. Sort of reminds me of a chocolate covered cherry truffle dusted with fine cocoa powder. It's marketed for women, but I think men can pull it off just fine.

ScentBar is a very dangerous place....

They know me by name too. Yikes!

I was lurking here for a while, but now I had to register just to tell you this:

Chocolate Greedy smells like angels ought to smell. Nothing else comes to mind. When you spray it on, however it's trying to kill you with caramel chocolate (makes sense, as you've just inhaled about a bar worth of chocolate) - but that only lasts for a second or two, then it settles, and you want to eat yourself. I absolutely adore it.

There might be, however, a potential problem: unlike Amouage Gold, for instance, I'm not sure I like the smell on clothes day(s) later, I think it smells like molten chocolate on a really hot hot summers day when you're dying of thirst, still kinda good, but you sure don't feel like eating it.

Also, it's a unisex scent. What would girls think when they smelled it on a guy? When I'll ask a friend, I'll probably get a 'Wow that is awesome!". But the question I'm always asking myself is, what would girls think smelling this on me - "Wow that is awesome, kiss me now you fool!" or more like "Wow that is awesome... tell me what it is, I want to spray that on me too! Also, I think your friend is cute."

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    Chocolate Greedy smells like angels ought to smell.
    Nice Sin City reference.

I have wanted to try chocolate greedy since I first saw it on luckyscent. It certainly seems like an interesting one. If you like sweet scents you should also try Sweet Oriental Dream. It is amazing and sweet as anything else out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    Nice Sin City reference.

I have wanted to try chocolate greedy since I first saw it on luckyscent. It certainly seems like an interesting one. If you like sweet scents you should also try Sweet Oriental Dream. It is amazing and sweet as anything else out there.
    I bought this one blind some time back and it was just too much for me. I'm not real big on sweet but because Chocolat Frais and Chocolate Greedy are based on dark chocolate, the intensity of the sweetness is toned down.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 7th December 2007 at 05:15 AM.

Try IL Profumo´s scents...they got one of the best chocolate fragrances...check out http://www.ilprofumoshop.com/home.html ...it is expensive, but niche. I don´t know, if you all can get this in your market?

I don't think I can, too small market, I suppose. I think I my eyeballs would rocket out of my sockets if I ever saw any Fragonard colognes here. I have developed a tendency to buy things online from EU, comes cheaper, better choice, usually from Germany, which is where you're from,

I gather. For colognes it's a bit more difficult though, since I always have to get testers first... do you know of any good EU webshops that hold lots of colognes also as testers? I practically only know ausliebezumduft.de, and they have actually very little of what you guys are talking about here.

Strange coincidence. I was thinking about posting something about this fragrance. I was spending some time at my local fragrance place, The Perfume House here in Portland, and they had a bunch of new Montales, including Chocolate Greedy. Mouth watering and chock full 'o chocolaty goodness. The SA made me a sample, but I'm not sure I will wear it much outside the home. Man, if I wore this in the prison the inmates would kill me. They just got Ben and Jerry's ice cream on their canteen list and it sold out the first day because they are so chocolate deprived.
    The Perfume House is an interesting place. They have really nice import stuff, but there is an air of snobbery about the place, with a couple of the SAs in particular, that rubs me wrong. And with the exception of CdG, they are not at all cutting edge. They do carry a lot of the Caron women's line, which I spent some time with yesterday. I should have done that sooner.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    Try IL Profumo´s scents...they got one of the best chocolate fragrances...check out http://www.ilprofumoshop.com/home.html ...it is expensive, but niche. I don´t know, if you all can get this in your market?
    Ummm....

TNMA

Basenotes Institution

Sorry this took so long thenmarcher...I finally got to try my chocolate scent samples from Luckyscent tonight.

I'm currently wearing Il Profumo's Chocolat Amere - I totally get the confusing, harsh top notes someone mentioned...a little schizo and then it finally settles. Of course, I got the A*Men reference immediately upon application but CA finally differentiates itself enough to become it's own scent entirely.

What I like about the transition to the middle notes is the teensy little oud/wood note that peeks its head out of the gourmands and asserts itself ever so often. Really neat. I guess we could classify this as a gourmand/oriental - since at the very core of this fragrance is a warm, ambery, spicy oriental, lurking. Maybe it's the galbanum?

I also like the fact that the chocolate notes in this are not too 'cocoa powder' inspired and are less about food that contains chocolate and more about the seeds from the chocolate cacao beans off a tree. If that makes sense.

If you like Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes, but perhaps want something without orange - give CA a try. Looks like Luckyscent is back ordered on this....now I know why.

Trying Chocolate Greedy next...
    --------------------------------------
    In about an hour into the dry down of CA, the vanilla base is positively Guerlainaide. Quite comforting and made my stomach grumble in a good way.
    --------------------------------------
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th November 2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle