Code of Conduct

Thread: Face wash?

Default Face wash?

Hey,

Can someone recommend a good face wash?

I have this acne problem that annoyingly comes and goes, and when it comes there really isn't a good reason for it to be present.

In the past I've tried the Kiehls face wash, menscience daily wash, and the anthony for men algae treatment. I'd say that the menscience is the only one to have provided even reasonable results.

Apart from the acne, is there a face wash that cleans as well as moisturizes (that is, it cleans without drying out my skin)? I live in a place that tends to get fairly cold, so there really isn't a need for my face wash to beat the weather to the punch.

Default Re: Face wash?

I've had some luck with Loreal Men Power Clean. Doesn't tighten your face and seems to get rid of the factors that lead up to acne.

I alternate between using Shiseido Pure Facial Cleansing Foam (it's in their women's product line, but it works well) and Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin.

The Cetaphil is probably a better product, and definitely better value for the money, but I like the scent from the Shiseido Pure as well. That's why I alternate, but if I were to use just one, it would be the Cetaphil.

I've noticed that my skin has become much better since I started using these cleansers.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

If acne is your problem I would say that a face wash will only do so much. You will be much more successful with diet and stress management. All the research I've seen indicates that is the most effective. For diet, avoid simple carbs (sugar and things made with white flour). Try and manage your stress levels. Then there is always hormones which are hard to deal with (on many different levels).
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Well i had acne problems too...

I found my cure in Neutrogena Oil Free Acne wash.

I have used it for almost a year now and acne is history. Besides my skin feels much better.

I would say try it.

gupts

Dont know how good it is at clearing acne, but Nancy Boy Facial Cleanser is superb.
    -

i had a serious acne problem, and the only thing that helped was some heavy medication suscribed by a skin doctor. that was a few years ago.

since then the tea tree stuff from the body shop usualy keeps things under control.
    after cleaning i use the face protector from the body shops men line for moisturing. i dont think there is a face wash that doesnt dry out your skin. but thats why moisturing creams exist, right?

Another source of Mens skin care and shaving information Men Essentials
    http://www.menessentials.com/

Blog Entries

A combination of Clinique's soap bar for acne prone skin in the morning + Oxy's (yes, Oxy) benzoyl peroxide cleanser @ night + Clean & Clear Persa Gel works for me.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Erno Laszlo Beta Wash works well.

...as does Biotherme Homme's Acnoclean.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

washing acneic skin with a good product is important and indeed Clinique has a good line about it.
    But it's not the only factor to win the battle against grease, black pores, and blooming monsters... As said many factors about your life counts: some we can control (diet, good diet, healty diet), other we are less able to fight (who can avoid stressing rithms sometimes?)
    To clean deeper your skin I also found a great help to have once a week a purifying mask with caoline etc... to open up the pores and let them breath better.
    Finally, to keep the natural oil production balanced and to disinfect the skin I suggest you to use a slighly oily solution of glicolic acid called Neostrata: it comes in different concentrations of glicolic acid according to your problem and it's very good used everyday as a lotion

Its more hormones and the sebaeceous glands at fault. Topical treatment is only so good.
    If it is a serious problem then there is only one drug which works.

It is true that there is no cure for acne, but it can be successfully managed with gentle cleansing, topical salicyclic acid (BHAs or beta hydroxy acids), and benzoyl peroxide. You have to keep using the topical treatments...if you stop because you think your acne's been "cured", it will come back. It is essential to treat acne early so that you don't get scarring.

I highly recommend the Paula's Choice line, her products are highly effective at clearing acne and keeping your skin clear, yet they're fragrance free and gentle on your skin. I have awful skin that worsened when I went off the pill, and I've had amazing results with this kit. (I do NOT work for any of the companies I mention in this thread, btw). It is cheaper in the long run than other systems I've tried, like proactiv. If the whole kit is too steep for your budget, then I recommend getting the cleanser, beta hydroxy 2% liquid (you can also get it as a lotion or gel if you prefer), and 5% benzoyl peroxide. The toner she sells is also fabulous, it has chamomile and other extracts in it to help calm and soothe your skin.

Obviously, you need to wash and treat your skin twice a day, but ease up on the product if you have peeling or too much dryness. My other favorite is the N.V. Perricone acne regimen, but it's insanely expensive. I have excellent results with the Paula's choice line. Both lines are appropriate for men and women.

DON'T FORGET to wear sunscreen every single day!
    Both men and women need to wear sunscreen because the benzoyl peroxide and salicyclic acid (BHAs, as well as AHAs and retioids will sensitize your skin to the sun and accelerate sun damage to your skin...basically everyone, men and women, should wear sunscreen every single day). I hate the sunscreen in the Paula's set because of the "sunscreen smell", so I just use the Olay Sensitive Skin with SPF 15, which you can get at any drugstore for about $4. Wear a much higher SPF if you work outside or spend much time outside. The recommendations for occasional masks are great. I like the Paula's choice carbon mask (it comes in the kit I linked earlier, or you can buy it separately), but I also still use the Proactiv sulfur acne mask and the Mary Kay Clarifying Skin Mask 3. The kaolin and other clay in the mask helps draw oil out of your pores. I use them about once a week.

You can also get
    Isotretinoin (trade name Accutane) from your doctor if nothing else helps.
    Last edited by linnea; 1st October 2007 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post
    It is true that there is no cure for acne, but it can be successfully managed with gentle cleansing, topical salicyclic acid (BHAs or beta hydroxy acids), and benzoyl peroxide. You have to keep using the topical treatments...if you stop because you think your acne's been "cured", it will come back. It is essential to treat acne early so that you don't get scarring.

I highly recommend the Paula's Choice line, her products are highly effective at clearing acne and keeping your skin clear, yet they're fragrance free and gentle on your skin. I have awful skin that worsened when I went off the pill, and I've had amazing results with this kit. (I do NOT work for any of the companies I mention in this thread, btw). It is cheaper in the long run than other systems I've tried, like proactiv. If the whole kit is too steep for your budget, then I recommend getting the cleanser, beta hydroxy 2% liquid (you can also get it as a lotion or gel if you prefer), and 5% benzoyl peroxide. The toner she sells is also fabulous, it has chamomile and other extracts in it to help calm and soothe your skin.

Obviously, you need to wash and treat your skin twice a day, but ease up on the product if you have peeling or too much dryness. My other favorite is the N.V. Perricone acne regimen, but it's insanely expensive. I have excellent results with the Paula's choice line. Both lines are appropriate for men and women.

DON'T FORGET to wear sunscreen every single day!
    Both men and women need to wear sunscreen because the benzoyl peroxide and salicyclic acid (BHAs, as well as AHAs and retioids will sensitize your skin to the sun and accelerate sun damage to your skin...basically everyone, men and women, should wear sunscreen every single day). I hate the sunscreen in the Paula's set because of the "sunscreen smell", so I just use the Olay Sensitive Skin with SPF 15, which you can get at any drugstore for about $4. Wear a much higher SPF if you work outside or spend much time outside. The recommendations for occasional masks are great. I like the Paula's choice carbon mask (it comes in the kit I linked earlier, or you can buy it separately), but I also still use the Proactiv sulfur acne mask and the Mary Kay Clarifying Skin Mask 3. The kaolin and other clay in the mask helps draw oil out of your pores. I use them about once a week.

You can also get
    Isotretinoin (trade name Accutane) from your doctor if nothing else helps.

No you cant get Roaccutane in the UK. Its prescribed only by derma or private. US it might be different. That is the only true cure for acne but it might need 2 treatments and it is a VERY harsh drug.

I was prescribed it by a derma.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    No you cant get Roaccutane in the UK. Its prescribed only by derma or private. US it might be different. That is the only true cure for acne but it might need 2 treatments and it is a VERY harsh drug.

I was prescribed it by a derma.
    Yes, in the United States it is prescription-only. However, friends of mine have gotten it through their family doctors (GP), and not a dermatologist. We don't have any kind of national health care, so most people who have it get it through private insurance.

It is extremely harsh and teratogenic (causes severe birth defects), women can't get it here unless they use two different kinds of birth control and have a pregnancy test done to make sure they're not pregnant. I seem to remember reading somewhere that even males are discouraged from trying to have children until they've been off Accutane for a minimum period of time.

I also remember reading studies about Accutane and depression/suicidal ideation. One of my good friends growing up had severe acne, and her doctor put her on a very long regimen of Accutane with no respite. She got incredibly depressed and tried to kill herself. Fortunately she was taken off the medicine (this was before there was a link proven in the studies between Accutane and severe depression), and I believe there are warnings and more guidelines for prescribing the med.

While I recognize the damage that the Sun can do to your skin, both in terms of aging it and cancer, I really don't agree with the slather on tons of sunscreen all the time. I've got two basic problems with Sunscreen.

1. The Sun's UV comes in two forms, UVA and UVB. The UVA is the higher energy and as such penetrates deep into the skin. UVB does not get much past the surface. They both can cause skin cancer, but the UVB causes an easily treated form while the UVA causes the killer kind and it also does most of the aging of the skin. UVB is also the kind which causes the sun burns. While this is a lesser issue these days, it still is an issue, sunscreens do a MUCH better job filtering out UVB then UVA. If you think of a sun burn as being your body's way to tell you that you have been in the sun too long, which it sort of is, then you are basically short circuiting your body's warning mechanism which tells you to get out of sun. This was much more true in the past when sunscreens only blocked UVB but it is still true to a lesser extent.

2. Sunscreen interferes with the production of Vitamin D. Our bodies produce Vitamin D through a chemical reaction in our skin caused by UVB light, which naturally sunscreen blocks. Vitamin D is a very potent anti-cancer agent. It also fight Multiple Sclerosis. If you look a maps which chart the incidence of for example breast and prostate cancer you will see that they are almost double in Northern cities where people don't get much sun during the winter vs. cities in the Sun Belt. It also explains why darker skinned people are more likely to suffer from these forms of cancer.

I'm not saying that Sunscreen does not have its uses, I use it occasionally, just don't be too obsessive about it. So, if you plan to still use a lot of Sunscreen, get a good sunscreen which does a good job of blocking UVA and take Vitamin D pills.

Maybe it's because I live in Denver, the Mile-High city, but even in Alaska I saw tons of people with disgusting sun damaged skin. If you don't mind shelling out later in life for various treatments to try to repair sun damage, then by all means do not wear sunscreen. Putting BHAs, AHAs, Retinol, benzoyl peroxide, etc. will sensitize your skin to the sunlight. It will accelerate sun damage even if you don't get a sunburn.

I wear sunscreen on my face, but I don't wear sunscreen on my arms and legs unless I'm going to be outside for extended periods of time. Then again, I also take supplements. Also, regarding the vitamin D hysteria... you can't always believe everything you read on teh intarwub. I did a google search for "sunscreen vitamin d" and came up with all kinds of webpages with crazed conspiracy links. Read the studies for yourself and make an informed choice. Until then, I'm not going to put up with mottled, disgusting skin so I'll take the sunscreen.

In my posting I did acknowledge that sun damage is an issue and that we need to protect ourselves from sun damage. Well there are other ways of protecting yourself from the sun then using sunscreen. Hats seem to do a good job. Not exactly high tech but I think that it works extremely well without the downside of sunscreen. Your dilemma of either use sunscreen or suffer sun damage is a false one. Besides I did acknowledge that there are times when it is appropriate to use sunscreen. My objection was to your assertion that it should be used every day.

Myself, I'm 48 years old. I've lived a healthy, active life with a lot of our door activities. I've always used sunscreen very sparingly but I have maintained a healthy diet, managed my sun exposure and used sunscreen when appropriate. My skin has a very healthy/youthful look to it, not the "mottled, disgusting skin" you seem to feel I will have if I don't religiously use sunscreen. So again I say, your position is a false dilemma. It is simply not an either or choice. I think we both agree that managing sun exposure is extremely important to maintaining healthy skin. My point is that there are better and healthier ways to do it then to just mindlessly slather on sunscreen.

Second my information didn't come from the nebulous Internet, it came from scientifically reviewed studies which were published in reputable medical journals. It has been a while since I read them and I don't have the information handy unfortunately. I'll see if I can dig them up. For someone who questions the sources of others, you may wish to take your own advice and not jump to unsubstantiated conclusions. Rather then jumping to totally unsupported conclusions and attacking my credibility you may have wanted to ask for my sources.
    Last edited by oolong; 2nd October 2007 at 04:55 PM.

Avalon Organics makes a good lavender cleanser and toner, lavender is a natural antiseptic that helps prevent breakouts and the toner contains salicylic acid. I splash the toner on a wet face to thin it out, then pat dry. I don't get breakouts when I stick to this line, but don't have acne. Lavender also has a calming effect and they say stress can contribute to acne, too, it does mess with our hormones. You can check them out along with reviews at drugstore.com.

Avalon Organics Facial Cleansing Gel, Therapeutic Lavender

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...59&catid=21222

Avalon Organics Hydrating Toner, Lavender

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...60&catid=10210

Changing shampoo and conditioner could help, too. I noticed some clogged my pores, but I haven't had any problem with Rusk and really like their line, Nature's Gate Organics also has some good hair products that are natural, and so does Aveda. Wash and condition your hair in the shower, first, then wash your face. That way you won't leave any residue on it. Some hand lotions can cause breakouts, too, if you use them and touch your face. A moisturizer containing olive oil can help with healing your skin and scarring, if you have a problem with that.

Red meat is usually shot full of hormones, so you might want to avoid it, especially from fast food restaurants.
    Last edited by beachroses; 9th October 2007 at 06:10 AM.

I have had great luck with the Absolute Porefection from Avon. It's a mild salicylic acid cleaner, and it makes my skin feel great. Plus, at $7 a large bottle, I consider it to be a good value.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

You should look into what Clinique products you can get. I use it and I look pretty good without make-up. I'm really happy with their products and I need to wear diff make-ups and all that because of my work so they help me with removing them and keeping my facial skin like that.

I'm with Ivory soap but it's nice to frshen up with some Cetaphil mixed with baking soda.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    I'm with Ivory soap but it's nice to frshen up with some Cetaphil mixed with baking soda.
    The problem with Ivory soap is that it strips the skin of too much of its oils. When you are young it is less of an issue but as you get older, it is very bad as are things with alcohol in them. You can get a good facial cleanser at a very reasonable price which is soap free. The specialty brands are nice but I'm unconvinced they are better then the higher end mass market brands you find in supermarkets like Nivia, Neutrogena, Oil of Olay and Kiss My Face and the price difference is significant.

Another thing, every persons face is different so different brands will work better on different skin types.

Cetaphil. definitely. try it.

John Varvatos' "Skin" line of products, essential facial cleansor -- great stuff, very soothing as well.

Cetaphil for normal/oily skin, (not the regular original one that is a cream base and doesn't lather). This will get your skin totally clean without stripping it. Very important for acne prone skin. Next off, you can try Olay total effects blemish/age control. That stuff works (give it two weeks). If that doesn't work enough, Add to that regime, the stridex 2% benzoil peroxide individually packaged wipes. (make sure you don't go above 2% benzoyl peroxide) or you will be sorry and so will your skin..besides its totally unneccesary and none the more effective). This combo should work well. If not, see a doctor and get a prescription for Cleocin (topical antibiotic). If that doesn't work, next step unfortunately is Retin-A. I've had skin probs my entire life.......soooo anyway take it for what it's worth.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

If you are looking for an acne treatment, go for Arbonne acne wash and lotion. Nothing better. If you are looking for an everyday wash, go with Zirh. Arbonne you get online and Zirh you can get at any dept. store.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by bebe_delia View Post
    You should look into what Clinique products you can get. I use it and I look pretty good without make-up. I'm really happy with their products and I need to wear diff make-ups and all that because of my work so they help me with removing them and keeping my facial skin like that.

She's right as well, Clinique has a nice scruffing lotion for men (Actually a liquid). Use whatever you choose for your acne first, then get some scruffing lotion 3.5 (Liquid) and use that daily. And yes Bella, you are a knockout. With or without make-up.
    Last edited by dawgslappa; 5th January 2008 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Your Kung Fu is No Good Here

Dependent

I get the occasional pimple/zit due to the tropical and humid weather i experience all year round. I use clinique 3step for men.(1. extra strength 2. 4.5 scruffing lotion 3. M gel-lotion). Depending on the seriousness of the acne, i would always advise those with severe acne not to self treat, but to see a dermatologist instead. I've a friend who had really bad acne, see a derm and got some oral medication (strong anti-biotics)and topical solutions like anti bacterial facial wash and benzyl peroxide cream and after 6 months, his face was so much better it was almost like looking at a different face. The only scars left behind were those from his popping of acne. always remember never to burst a zit as in doing so ure actually creating a hole on the surface of the skin. Should your acne be a very mild one , then i suggest the use of Eucerin Acne Prone Skin Range. A couple of friends use it and i saw for myself the results. Its not as harsh and drying as nuetrogena. Pretty reasonably priced.

If you have acne that's bad your diet will do LITTLE to change it your lifestyle will do LITTLE to change it as it's an internal issue you should see a dermatologist. If it's light acne then a good exercise regimen and proper sleep patterns along with either a sulfur acne treatment (Malin & Goetz) or aha/bha treatment (Murad or DDF) should fix you up. Face cleansers all kinda do the same thing. The fact that they are on your face for such little time means they wont effect you all that much aside from keeping dirt/oil off your face. So Aveeno, Clinique, Purpose, Cetaphil etc. take your pick just make sure you use it twice a day.

I highly recommend you look into blue laser acne treatment if your acne is persistent. It's $100 a pop but after 4-6 treatments there's a good chance you'll never have acne again.

I had acne off and on for 10 years. I finally went to get blue laser after it worked for my friend who had far worse acne than me. After 3 treatments I never saw another blemish. Occasionally, (once a month) I get a tiny pimple now that usually leaves in a few days.

Cheers,
    Al

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    If you have acne that's bad your diet will do LITTLE to change it your lifestyle will do LITTLE to change it as it's an internal issue you should see a dermatologist. If it's light acne then a good exercise regimen and proper sleep patterns along with either a sulfur acne treatment (Malin & Goetz) or aha/bha treatment (Murad or DDF) should fix you up. Face cleansers all kinda do the same thing. The fact that they are on your face for such little time means they wont effect you all that much aside from keeping dirt/oil off your face. So Aveeno, Clinique, Purpose, Cetaphil etc. take your pick just make sure you use it twice a day.

I highly recommend you look into blue laser acne treatment if your acne is persistent. It's $100 a pop but after 4-6 treatments there's a good chance you'll never have acne again.

I had acne off and on for 10 years. I finally went to get blue laser after it worked for my friend who had far worse acne than me. After 3 treatments I never saw another blemish. Occasionally, (once a month) I get a tiny pimple now that usually leaves in a few days.

Cheers,
    Al
    I didnt have bad acne , in fact just some black heads that are easily exfoliated, but i had this voucher and i had a facial done. The lady squeezed 2 zits i hadon my forehead and went on to use something that looked like UV light and start zapping over the already squeezed zit area apparently to kill any left over bacteria... the sound literally went Zehzehzehzeh and it was quite painful. but i like how skin feels after a goo facial